Living Presence

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
These pictures of the "professional" version (PAS?) of the SmartTractor are fantastic.

Even though the cost is prohibitively ridiculous for the PAS, I've thought about purchasing it. I was last quoted over $3000 by the US distributor, Rutherford Audio. I would love to read some comparative differences between it and the SmarTractor.

I've owned the SmarTractor long enough to appreciate its usefulness but there are some minor flaws and annoyances when using it.
Here are some of the flaws that I have with my SmarTractor (that I hope is improved with the PAS):

1) The "plate" that sits on the platter is slightly warped and not flat. I need to tape it down to the platter in multiple places to ensure that it sits flat.
2) The arm (and tower that holds the arm) that is used to measure P2S is not rigid.
3) The thumbscrew that secures the P2S graticule doesn't hold the graticule in place (it simply drops straight down).

I assume that most of the deficiencies are cost cutting measures but, nonetheless, should be improved for an otherwise effective but not inexpensive tool.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Yes, that is the version for those with multiple Arms/Carts who want to get the best out of their investments...or to make comparisons
Precision is mandatory

aa1de9451a.jpg

Well, the price ... there is a lot of superior brain neccessary to develop that, some prefer a free downoad of a piece of paper with some lines on it.. each his own...;)
I have no experience with the Smartractor, never saw it live..

Last edited:

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Yep Mike, that was the old one; from here, it went to Mik...your cartridge guy :).

Bruce, there was a trade while I was in Bavaria...at the time, I had two Olympos SL cartridges, so one of my Olympos SL for Thomas’ Olympos. The picture was taken before I returned home.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
These pictures of the "professional" version (PAS?) of the SmartTractor are fantastic.

Even though the cost is prohibitively ridiculous for the PAS, I've thought about purchasing it. I was last quoted over $3000 by the US distributor, Rutherford Audio. I would love to read some comparative differences between it and the SmarTractor.

I've owned the SmarTractor long enough to appreciate its usefulness but there are some minor flaws and annoyances when using it.
Here are some of the flaws that I have with my SmarTractor (that I hope is improved with the PAS):

1) The "plate" that sits on the platter is slightly warped and not flat. I need to tape it down to the platter in multiple places to ensure that it sits flat.
2) The arm (and tower that holds the arm) that is used to measure P2S is not rigid.
3) The thumbscrew that secures the P2S graticule doesn't hold the graticule in place (it simply drops straight down).

I assume that most of the deficiencies are cost cutting measures but, nonetheless, should be improved for an otherwise effective but not inexpensive tool.

1. With the Uni-PRO that "plate" as you call it is a metal frame, probably aluminum, with attached micrometer linear drive. It is flat, no problems.
2. The arm used to establish P2S on the Uni-PRO is acrylic, and reasonably thick, for mounting distances up to 14" length. Yes you can forcibly bend it if you try but It should not warp on it's own. It is held by the metal micrometer drive. Maybe the Smart Tractor version is different, but the Uni-PRO version is no problem.
3. Not sure about a problem holding the spindle that holds the reticle. Yes if it's not held in place with the thumbscrew it will slide down.

While the Smart Tractor offers 5 alignment options (Baerwald, Loefgren, etc.) the Uni-PRO includes those along with tonearm specific templates of your choice. Rather than scribed on the frame, separate templates fit into the frame. A-S will make a template for whatever arm you want. You can compare the two kits using info on his Web site.

I bought direct from Dietrich Brakemeier at original release ( ~$800). Since then several additional tools (USB microscope, wrenches, screwdrives, etc.) and a nice case were added to the kit; guess these drove up the price. Don't know if you can find it on the used market. Imo it is the easiest protractor I've used and I would not give it up.

UNI-Pro on Monaco.JPG

DSC01726.JPG

Reactions: pcosta and Syntax

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Improved Analog Playback with custom made Platter, vibration reduction inside (spindle, motor, bearing) and out, active speed control, cross checked with Sutherland Timeline Strobe, hard to find high quality bearing, energy buffer to eliminate any voltage drifts while Playback
Axiom Arm & Koetsu Blue Lace
Done right from detail, tonality, instrumental separation, Soundstage

View attachment 32486

View attachment 32487

View attachment 32488
@Syntax what is this table? Is it a reproduction of a Micro Seiki 5000?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Amari LP-82, made in China, with the optics from Micro Seiki. It is the proof for a Table done right when you know what is responsible for what. A lot of clever details which serve a stunning sonic picture.
It is about 4400 USD final, i was so perplexed when I listened to it, that I bought one. It gives a kick to all with 10x the price or even more.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Looks like the clone of my Da Vinci arm up there, only with an aluminum headshell.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The Axiom Anniversary 12“ Tonearm arrived

It is a true Tool for the serious audiophile who wants the best tonal reproduction in combination with EVERY Cartridge available.
The unit shows 3 micrometers for repeatable, unmatched adjustments during playing. VTA is obvious, but here you make your first alignment,
remember the scale data from Arm height and now you can try whatever you want without getting lost. You can always come back to your first setting.
Super for different originals (Decca, Mercury, RCA …)

View attachment 58963

Same for VTF
You do your first alignment with a given Cartridge, for example 1,80gr, remember the scale for it, leave your cart onto the gauge and you see exactly what number on
the adjuster will do with the VTF (1,803…1,792…1,834 and so on). You write a notice for that turn how much a half turn up or down will do and then you play
the record while changing VTF until it sounds best to you
Same for Anti-Skate
You need a test record for it (for first alignment), later while playing you can change AS a bit and you will hear the difference (when your System is on par for that)

View attachment 58964

The Arm itself throws a huge Soundstage, a very good Imaging in combination with holographic details.
My comparison with the regular Axiom and the Anniversary showed some interesting results. The Anniversary is a bit a faster and shows a different kind of physical presence.
I don’t know why, maybe the manufacturer did something and does not tell or the - better - adjustment showed that.
It shows details from my Cartridge and Records I did not hear before so clearly.

A Game Changer in analog reproduction.

View attachment 58965

Some Specs
Dynamic anti-skating non touch adjustment: on the fly during play
VTF (vertical tracking force) non touch adjustment: on the fly during play
VTA (vertical tracking angle) non touch adjustment: on the fly during play
Nano ceramic hardened titanium/carbon – composite armwand with internal liquid dampening on whole inner surface
Exchangeable inserts in counterweight tuned to cartridge’s compliance. Thus eliminating low frequency resonance peak.
Full radial/axial cardan shaft double gimbal bearing, using custom made to order German nano instrumental ball bearings of
aerospace grade with the lowest move friction possible today.
The arm wand is an unique composite of Titanium and Carbon with surface liquid dampening.
The mounting board, bearing houses, external and internal VTA tower and fixed headshell mounting are made from triple-tempered German AP70XX dural air frame grade aluminium and stress-relieved V2a stainless steel.
...and so on ...and on ... and on
Yours must be the prototype of this Titan Grand Complication.

60B627F2-0164-40A9-835E-0C5814F4FFD0.jpeg
3475006B-07C9-4F67-B40E-B436898B4E40.jpeg

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing