Looking to buy my firstTube Power Amp

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
You don't need 100 tube watts for 89 db speakers unless you have a huge room. I run 89 db Bache Metro 001's (and 89 db Merlin VSM's before them) with a 35 watt Pathos TT and can shake the walls of my 16'x10' room if I want to. You have more good choices in your price range at lower power.
I don't believe the OP has said what speakers he owns. We know they are 89dB sens. but need to know the nominal impedance, better yet the impedance curve. You won't know how much power is needed to drive the speakers satisfactorily. Although 100wpc should be more than enough.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I don't believe the OP has said what speakers he owns. We know they are 89dB sens. but need to know the nominal impedance, better yet the impedance curve. You won't know how much power is needed to drive the speakers satisfactorily. Although 100wpc should be more than enough.
It would help to know the size of his listening room as well.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Note also that if I was in your position I would consider selling the Rogue preamp (I don't like Rogue components which seem to lack much of the "magic" that you buy tubes for in the first place) and getting a top tube integrated, which would reduce your box and cable count. Some of the firms I listed above also make integrated amps, and I would also look at Line Magnetic, Melody, PrimaLuna, and Unison.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Since you liked it:

If you have a good tech upgrade key caps, resistors, connectors, and wiring.

Note that there are pre-owned tube power amps in your price range (and likely with enough power) for sale at Audiogon from Audio Research, Audio Hungary, BAT, EAR, McIntosh, VAC, and Zesto.
Is Audio Hungary any good?

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
It would help to know the size of his listening room as well.
4 ohm speaker does not drop below 3.6 ohm. My drivers are Satori MW16P and Tw29R. I use GR Research H frame open Baffle subs with servo amps by Rythmik. My room is 14x22 with basement ceilings 7 foot plus

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
4 ohm speaker does not drop below 3.6 ohm. My drivers are Satori MW16P and Tw29R. I use GR Research H frame open Baffle subs with servo amps by Rythmik. My room is 14x22 with basement ceilings 7 foot plus
Regarding the VTL, I found this on Stereophile...

VTL doesn't quote a rating into 8 ohms, since the VT-85 is optimized for a load of around 5 ohms, but Luke says that the 8 ohm rating would be around 70Wpc.

A very good match for your speakers. 85wpc into 4 ohms.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I have not considered Rogue for power amp as some people say their tube amps sound more like SS (if thats possible) I can say that their RP7 is not like a typical tube Pre.
I would go with one of the power amps recommended and not a Rogue. The combo of Rogue pre and amp will have very good dynamics but will be more neutral and detailed than what it seems you're looking for.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I would go with one of the power amps recommended and not a Rogue. The combo of Rogue pre and amp will have very good dynamics but will be more neutral and detailed than what it seems you're looking for.
I agree with you 100%. I have narrowed it to Audio Hungary and Music Reference 200. Also if my buddy decides to sell his VTL I will take it off his hands.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I agree with you 100%. I have narrowed it to Audio Hungary and Music Reference 200. Also if my buddy decides to sell his VTL I will take it off his hands.
Music Reference is excellent. Audio Hungary... will it drive 4 ohm speakers ok?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020...00-vacuum-tube-stereo-power-amplifier-review/

Last edited:

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
@Cellcbern Thank you for the links. I read the reviews but I dont trust pro reviews. Ive been burned before thinking "what were they listening to?" I prefer to see what owners of the product think. I find it more valuable. Maybe im wrong but.....

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I’ve been very happy with various BAT amps. They’ve got great sonics, are highly reliable, and if purchased used are in your price range.

Reactions: Lowrider75

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I purchased CJ P12's with SED Winged C 6550's. Love it!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! A legendary amp. I remember seeing the the CJ P12 and the Gryphon Antileon as the 2 amps on the website for Rockport Speakers years ago. Huge fan of CJ having owned a piece of CJ in the system for nearly 20 years consecutively...literally until only very very recently.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Congrats! A legendary amp. I remember seeing the the CJ P12 and the Gryphon Antileon as the 2 amps on the website for Rockport Speakers years ago. Huge fan of CJ having owned a piece of CJ in the system for nearly 20 years consecutively...literally until only very very recently.
I am using a RP& which some say is not in the same league as the CJ. I did try the RP9 and it was a step up. Not sure what model I would get if I bought a CJ Preamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing