Looking to buy my firstTube Power Amp

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
recently a friend let me borrow his VTL 85. I loved the sound of it over my solid state power amp. So I would like to get my first Tube amp. My speakers are about 89db efficient (dynamic speakers) i am using a Rogue RP7 pre and am thinking 100 watts. I am considering preowned at this point. My budget is 5K to 6K. I would like suggestions on brands, models etc to research. Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
VTL is a great tube brand, and if you love the 85, sounds like that is a great place to start. So too might be Rogue Stereo amps since you have their preamp and presumably like it? The other name which comes to mind are the CJs 120 and 62...which on the 2nd hand/demo market could also fit well within your targets.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I have not looked for high power tube amps for some time, but a classic 100w contender would be the EAR 509- long production run means you may find used in various conditions.

Reactions: MPS

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not looked for high power tube amps for some time, but a classic 100w contender would be the EAR 509- long production run means you may find used in various conditions.
Wow...good call. I have read very good things about that amp. Been reading about their HP4 headphone amp quite a lot lately, and this particularly amp has come up several times.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Wow...good call. I have read very good things about that amp. Been reading about their HP4 headphone amp quite a lot lately, and this particularly amp has come up several times.
I liked the phono pre I think I would like the amp I'll take a look

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
VTL is a great tube brand, and if you love the 85, sounds like that is a great place to start. So too might be Rogue Stereo amps since you have their preamp and presumably like it? The other name which comes to mind are the CJs 120 and 62...which on the 2nd hand/demo market could also fit well within your targets.
I have not considered Rogue for power amp as some people say their tube amps sound more like SS (if thats possible) I can say that their RP7 is not like a typical tube Pre.

Reactions: Lowrider75

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I am seeing two other brands, Music Reference and Audio Hungary are they decent?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am seeing two other brands, Music Reference and Audio Hungary are they decent?
I have read very good things about Music Reference but have not heard. I do not know about Audio Hungary.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
ok so I now have a short list of 5:
Music Reference 200
Audio Hungary Qualiton 200
VTL 85 or 150
Rogue Stereo 100
Carver 275

Reliability is KEY. Any opinions on the above listed amps?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great list. Most curious about MR 200 and VTL 85/150. I think VTL has a very good reputation for reliability...but there are far, far more educated audiophiles here on that.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
yea i am researching 2 things reliability and stability. Oh and serviceability, aka who services the stuff that is out of production or from overseas.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The good news is most tube amps follow similar build topologies and if a tech is fluent in repairing one they usually can do others. The bad news is good 'old skool' techs are not super common anymore.

If you are going down the vintage / used path best to spend some time finding out who the options are in your area.

Reactions: christoph and MPS

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
The good news is most tube amps follow similar build topologies and if a tech is fluent in repairing one they usually can do others. The bad news is good 'old skool' techs are not super common anymore.

If you are going down the vintage / used path best to spend some time finding out who the options are in your area.
Im fortunate I have a super good tech in my area (was able to fix my buddies Antique Sound Labs) I would prefer to not have to hump a 70 lb amp to tyhe tech in the first place lol! Im old and I had back surgery. I was hoping to actually get a GAN amp that would have excellent performance since they are a hell of a lot lighter but I lost hope in any Class D sounding any good. ha ha

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Conrad Johnson premier 11a.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Message Ralph @Atmasphere he has a new class D amp coming soon...from a guy doing OTL tube gear for the last 40+ years.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Message Ralph @Atmasphere he has a new class D amp coming soon...from a guy doing OTL tube gear for the last 40+ years.
ha ha Ive never heard a class D amp sound awesome, they are ok, just not great.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
There are now a few dealers representing Carver amps including Music Direct. I'd love to hear the 275, very innovative design.
five-year manufacturer's warranty on operation, parts, and tubes!
Made in USA.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
recently a friend let me borrow his VTL 85. I loved the sound of it over my solid state power amp. So I would like to get my first Tube amp. My speakers are about 89db efficient (dynamic speakers) i am using a Rogue RP7 pre and am thinking 100 watts. I am considering preowned at this point. My budget is 5K to 6K. I would like suggestions on brands, models etc to research. Thanks
You don't need 100 tube watts for 89 db speakers unless you have a huge room. I run 89 db Bache Metro 001's (and 89 db Merlin VSM's before them) with a 35 watt Pathos TT and can shake the walls of my 16'x10' room if I want to. You have more good choices in your price range at lower power.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Since you liked it:

If you have a good tech upgrade key caps, resistors, connectors, and wiring.

Note that there are pre-owned tube power amps in your price range (and likely with enough power) for sale at Audiogon from Audio Research, Audio Hungary, BAT, EAR, McIntosh, VAC, and Zesto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing