LP vs. digital from a price perspective?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Someone remind me, what is the point of this thread other than, yet, another attempt by the OP to rationalize his preference by insulting others?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Someone remind me, what is the point of this thread other than, yet, another attempt by the OP to rationalize his preference by insulting others?

Well, I think your summarization is a wee-bit harsh. And that comes from someone who has a rep for being harsh on people sometimes. I did tell the OP that I thought he had his mind made up before he started the thread, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

I agree with mep about the harshness of this. To me it looks like you're rationalizing your prejudice here by smearing the OP. But could just be me :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What's Class A+

Class A+ is for the best performance in both analog and digital categories.

* In the Class A+ category for Analog (Turntables) Playback, it represents the achievement recognized by the reviewers on the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn ($160,000 with tonearm and stand), and the Rockport Technologies System III Sirius ($73,750) turntables.

** In the Class A+ for Digital Playback, it is a requirement that it plays high resolution audio at a higher rate (like SACD/DSD, DVD-Audio, and 24/192 at a minimum).
Some' like that Steve.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Get a grip and read more of my posts where I try to explain things a little more fully. My "bias", based on experience and preferences, is that in the low to moderate price ranges digital gives better "performance" (meaning to me more satisfying to listen to, and I listen to a lot of music almost every day) than LP. I haven't spent any time other than at shows (i.e. no meaningful time at all) listening to megabuck digital, but have to reasonably pricey LP (not in Mike L's league) and like it a lot. My son and his friends are all over entry level LP, so I can listen to that a lot. Even though I sold my "expensive" (for me) 'table about 10 yrs ago, I still have some reasonable stuff (way better than entry-level) to play if I want.

Obviously sonic characteristics most important to me are reproduced more enjoyably by mid-level digital than mid-level vinyl. I know others feel differently and I'm interested in knowing whether that reflects actual thought and consideration about sonic performance or knee-jerk anti-digital feelings.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If you look at the OP, Bob, you'll see I used median figures because most classes have outliers that skew the mean. Also, my LP figures are for the whole front-end.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Get a grip and read more of my posts where I try to explain things a little more fully. My "bias", based on experience and preferences, is that in the low to moderate price ranges digital gives better "performance" (meaning to me more satisfying to listen to, and I listen to a lot of music almost every day) than LP. I haven't spent any time other than at shows (i.e. no meaningful time at all) listening to megabuck digital, but have to reasonably pricey LP (not in Mike L's league) and like it a lot. My son and his friends are all over entry level LP, so I can listen to that a lot. Even though I sold my "expensive" (for me) 'table about 10 yrs ago, I still have some reasonable stuff (way better than entry-level) to play if I want.

Obviously sonic characteristics most important to me are reproduced more enjoyably by mid-level digital than mid-level vinyl. I know others feel differently and I'm interested in knowing whether that reflects actual thought and consideration about sonic performance or knee-jerk anti-digital feelings.

Your preference is not the issue, even though each and every one of your threads seems to hinge on a strawman argument asserting the opposite. It's as if you want folks to tell you that your system sucks. Like what you like, it's not as anyone really cares and you know that. That seems to be the problem from your end - a lack of attention. This is why you begin introducing inflammatory language into your posts, in effect trolling other for a reply. It is what it is.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If you look at the OP, Bob, you'll see I used median figures because most classes have outliers that skew the mean. Also, my LP figures are for the whole front-end.

I read your first original post very clearly, and it was perfect. ...The reason why I decided to post in your thread. :b

* If others are seeing (reading) things that aren't there, that's their problem; not yours, and certainly neither mine.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm a 'vinylista'...at home I listen to vinyl 99+% of the time but I have to agree with the OP's thesis.

When people ask, I tell them that if you have less than $5k to spend on a source, go with digital.

$5-$10 is a push for sound quality, especially factoring in the costs of extra cables and a quality phono preamp.

Above $10k, you should be able to get better sound quality from vinyl and at the extreme fringe, it's really no contest, analog is better....

But (and there's always a but), that's if you have the patience to do a quality set up (many ?most? expensive analog systems are not well set up) and are willing to spend the money to get quality software. These caveats should probably give significant pause to the vast majority of folks contemplating a greater than $5k expenditure.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Indeed this does not.

Sorry, am I back in high-school? Your original response consisted of an "I know you are, but what am I" - a brilliant retort only rivaled by "I am rubber and you are glue" - buttressed by ...well... nothing. Now you call me out again with another bit of nonsense. Where would you like us to go from here?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing