Lumin X1 After Market Umbilical cord

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I own a Lumin X1 and I have a AudioQuest Dragon power cord and a Synergistic Master fuse in the external power supply.
So, to me the natural evolution would be to upgrade the umbilical cord that connects the power supply to the Lumin proper.

So far, I have found only 2 companies that make a 10-pin configuration that will work with the Lumin equipment. That is, Westminster Labs and Audio Sensibilities.
The Westminster Labs cord is quite pricey, so I ordered one from the Audio Sensibilities.

Can anyone who has used this cord share their experiences?

Thank you,
ozzy

Reactions: FDPDK

FDPDK

May 15, 2021
Denmark
Thats an interesting topic...as i am almost in the same situation at a later point in my upgrades.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Well, I should have the Audio Sensibilities cable tomorrow. (If USPS comes through)

ozzy

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
We have a customer who has owned both cords and says his Westminster is "more better" in his hi-rez systems. We always suggest the AS cable for those on a budget (albeit Westminster does not cost all that much more).

Whatever you choose a well designed DC cable can make a noticeable difference in the sound of the already solid X1. Good luck.

Reactions: NaimYourTubes

viola

VIP/Donor
Apr 21, 2021
Connecticut
We have a customer who has owned both cords and says his Westminster is "more better" in his hi-rez systems. We always suggest the AS cable for those on a budget (albeit Westminster does not cost all that much more).

Whatever you choose a well designed DC cable can make a noticeable difference in the sound of the already solid X1. Good luck.
I own a Lumin X1 and I have a AudioQuest Dragon power cord and a Synergistic Master fuse in the external power supply.
So, to me the natural evolution would be to upgrade the umbilical cord that connects the power supply to the Lumin proper.

So far, I have found only 2 companies that make a 10-pin configuration that will work with the Lumin equipment. That is, Westminster Labs and Audio Sensibilities.
The Westminster Labs cord is quite pricey, so I ordered one from the Audio Sensibilities.

Can anyone who has used this cord share their experiences?

Thank you,
ozzy
Ozzy,

I have a Lumin X1 and have used both the Audio Sensibility and the Westminster Lab umbilical cords. My system is a high resolution system using the Tidal Audio Presencio preamplifier into the Westminster Lab Rei monoblocks driving Tidal Audio Contriva G2 speakers. Power is fed by a hard-wired 325 lb EI-style transformer that outputs 60v - 0 - 60v balanced power with an isolated technical ground.

If I were to rank the umbilical cords on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being awful and 10 being perfect (and by definition, unattainable), I would put the stock umbilical cord at a 2 or 3, the Audio Sensibility umbilical at an 8 and the Westminster Lab umbilical at a 9 or 9.5. The AS umbilical is a HUGE upgrade over the stock umbilical, and as a value proposition, it gives you the best bang for the buck. The WL umbilical is a smaller upgrade over the AS, but it provides, at least in a high-resolution system, noticeably more resolution, deeper bass, more extended highs as well as a greater control over attacks and decays. It's the law of diminishing returns -- you get more versus the AS umbilical, but the incremental cost per unit of improvement is much higher than the incremental cost per unit of improvement afforded by the AS umbilical over the stock umbilical.

I hope that helps. By the way, I am not using my 0.5 meter AS umbilical cord, which I bought from AS in January 2022, so if anyone wants to purchase it for $400, just send me a PM. It is in mint condition and fully broken in.

FDPDK

May 15, 2021
Denmark
Viola , that was a very fine description on the cables. And makes me in a better position to make a choice weather to go for the Westminster Lab or the AS.
Thank you very much
Flemming P

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
viola,
Thank you so much for your comparisons. It is really helpful. Too bad I already purchased the AS cord, or I would have bought yours!
I hope to get it today!

ozzy

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Just received it!
Boy, connecting up the DC cord to the Lumin proper is a PITA! what a design.
ozzy

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
viloa,

Did you find that the cable also required some burn in time?

ozzy

Reactions: treitz3

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Just received it!
Boy, connecting up the DC cord to the Lumin proper is a PITA! what a design.
ozzy
Man, you got that right!

I am paying attention to this thread because I have the Lumin UX1 (Which is a U1 with the X1 PS). Thanks for your thoughts @viola and I could use your AS before I get the Westminster Labs UB. If it's still available, I'll take it.

Tom

viola

VIP/Donor
Apr 21, 2021
Connecticut
viloa,

Did you find that the cable also required some burn in time?

ozzy
Yes, all of the umbilicals require breaking in before reaching optimal performance. However, I noticed a meaningful improvement over the stock umbilical immediately after inserting the AS umbilical. After continuous play for about 4-5 hours, you'll get a much better picture of what it's really going to sound like, but continuous play for about 3-4 days should get you to optimal performance. All of the connections to the X1 are a PITA due to the overhang of the top cover. It's a brilliant piece of equipment, but for the life of me, I don't understand what they must have been thinking with such an unfriendly ergonomic design -- maybe protection from dust?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Viola, i am assuming the AS is compatible with the U1 as well? I am currently using the X1 power supply with my U1.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
From what I understand, it is a proprietary cable and the umbilical is compatible with the S1, U1 and A1 into the X1.

Tom

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Great thanks, Tom. If for any reason you are not purchasing Viola’s cable, I would be interested to buy.

Cheers

Sujay

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I regret to inform you that I have already purchased the cable. I figured I'll use this while I either wait for the WL umbilical's to go on sale (apparently they do on occasion) or get lucky on a used set in mint condition. My wallet laughs at paying retail. My ears won't but my wallet sure does.

Tom

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
No worries Tom. I wrote to AS to purchase it new. Apparently the one I need to buy is with 8 pins input. So I went ahead and bought it. And also got a 12% discount. So all good!

Reactions: treitz3

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Ozzy,

Mine took about a full week's worth of running in before it really settled down. It really is a big improvement over the stock umbilical. I've not heard the W Labs cable to compare.

Bob

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I have a U1X in my speaker system and another U1X in my headphone system. I upgraded to the Audio Sensibility cords for both of them. Big improvement over the stock cord (big in "audiophile" terms, not sure how big of a difference to a non-enthusiast). Money well spent.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
SoundQcar,

Well, it's been a couple of days now and the lean sound that was first present seems to be gone. I was a little concerned.
If it is made truly with high grade silver, then I guess some break in is expected. I think Steve said 150 hours.

ozzy

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
No worries Tom. I wrote to AS to purchase it new. Apparently the one I need to buy is with 8 pins input. So I went ahead and bought it. And also got a 12% discount. So all good!
Well, I found out the hard way that you ARE correct. I needed the same one. So, I called AS and ordered the one that I needed. I was surprised that they picked up the phone on the weekend but they did. It should be here next week.

The one I just purchased from Viola is now available once again, if anyone is interested. As a reminder, it is a 0.5 meter AS umbilical cord, which Viola bought from AS in January 2022, so if anyone wants to purchase it for $shipped to your door within the continental US, just send me a PM. It is in mint condition and fully broken in.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing