Lyra Cartridges

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Hello, I'm a new member, based in Bangkok, TH. I have/had a Lyra Etna SL, brand new. Had a terrible problem with static pops. My dealer, Woody, owner of Image Audio-Visual here in BKK, plus Gary Koh, of Genesis speakers and audio equipment, were both listening to this problem in my home and trying various fixes. Nothing worked. Couldn't stand listening to the cart due to the static pops. At the Bangkok Audio Show in August, 2019, I met with Matt from VPI, and explained the problem to him. He thought it might be in the turntable itself. Finally, Gary and Matt, from VPI, plus Woody, from Image Audio thought of the Etna's cantilever, which is 'diamond' or carbon coated boron. That may have been the source of the static. SO, tried a new VPI tonearm, 3-D printed, and a Lyra Kleos cart. The cantilever on the Kleos is boron, but no "diamond" coating. Bingo, no static pops. Woody, of Image Audio, called Stig at Lyra and explained the problem. Rare. First time in years and years they've encountered this. So the Etna SL is going back to Lyra for a check-up. Meanwhile, I'm trading it in for a Dynavector XV-1t, also recommended by Gary Koh and Woody at Image. Right now, I'm still listening to the Kleos, which is good, but no match for the magic of the Etna SL. Static pops, however, killed the Etna for me.

ChasFreeland
That's an interesting problem ("static") which I've not heard of before. Did you try the Etna SL on the new VPI 3-D tonearm? I also have a Lyra Etna SL on a VPI 3D arm with no issues. I agree the Etna SL is magic compared to the Kleos which I also have. My guess is that the problem lies with the cartridge. Hopefully, Lyra will help you solve the static noise. Please let us know what you find.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I listen to a Lyra Delos. Once dialed in, its sounds very fine but is very touchy with setup IME.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
One thing I learned doing more research after this thread...Lyra has the biggest selection of hi end mono carts..Kleos, Etna and Atlas. Maybe I will give the Kleos or Etna mono a whirl sometime...
No whirl needed. I have one that I no longer use. Bought it just to get a feel of Etna tone. It does not do mono any better than my stereo carts to be honest.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Once you get a Lyra dialed in, which takes a lot of patience, the sound is glorious. I stick with the top of cart level to playing surface as Lyra recommends with their New Angle design.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have tried AtlasSL on all possible combination between KronosPro, Af1P, EMT927, AS2000, 3012R, Black Beauty, SAEC 506, SAT and Axiom. The best sound I got is when it is on SAT/AF1P. I think they compliment their strengths even further. They present an engaging impressive clean sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's the combo that Fremer and SAT designer himself and I think now J Carr use

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
hard to believe I have owned Lyra Atlas and now SL for 7 years 8 months. I luv the Lyra sound and anyone that wants to hear what is on their records with purity and devoid of sugar, Lyra is your brand.

Reactions: andi

Sphere1

Oct 10, 2019
Hello, I'm a new member, based in Bangkok, TH. I have/had a Lyra Etna SL, brand new. Had a terrible problem with static pops. My dealer, Woody, owner of Image Audio-Visual here in BKK, plus Gary Koh, of Genesis speakers and audio equipment, were both listening to this problem in my home and trying various fixes. Nothing worked. Couldn't stand listening to the cart due to the static pops. At the Bangkok Audio Show in August, 2019, I met with Matt from VPI, and explained the problem to him. He thought it might be in the turntable itself. Finally, Gary and Matt, from VPI, plus Woody, from Image Audio thought of the Etna's cantilever, which is 'diamond' or carbon coated boron. That may have been the source of the static. SO, tried a new VPI tonearm, 3-D printed, and a Lyra Kleos cart. The cantilever on the Kleos is boron, but no "diamond" coating. Bingo, no static pops. Woody, of Image Audio, called Stig at Lyra and explained the problem. Rare. First time in years and years they've encountered this. So the Etna SL is going back to Lyra for a check-up. Meanwhile, I'm trading it in for a Dynavector XV-1t, also recommended by Gary Koh and Woody at Image. Right now, I'm still listening to the Kleos, which is good, but no match for the magic of the Etna SL. Static pops, however, killed the Etna for me.

Chas, I am having the same problem with static pops with a brand new Lyra Atlas on a VPI turntable and a 3d printed arm. There are other people complaining about it on the VPI forum. Please keep us posted if Lyra finds anything wrong with your cartridge.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Chas, I am having the same problem with static pops with a brand new Lyra Atlas on a VPI turntable and a 3d printed arm. There are other people complaining about it on the VPI forum. Please keep us posted if Lyra finds anything wrong with your cartridge.
Hello again;

My Lyra Etna SL was returned to Lyra USA. Cart was completely checked and re-worked. No faults were found. Meanwhile, I was using a Kleos on my VPI Avenger with the VPI 3D tonearm. No static. A week ago, I received a new Dynavector XV-1t. It plays beautifully, no static pops. It also has a boron arm, but no carbon (diamond) coating for stiffness. Zero static and ultra quiet cart. So, cannot say where the static originates or why it is there, but Lyra Etna SL is now history and I am loving the Dynavector XV-1t, which I hear as a better cartridge than the Etna SL. The soundstage is stunning. Tonal qualities are also excellent. So, after a long and trying journey through carts and tonearms, I have come up a winner. Bye bye Lyra, hello Dynavector.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I am using a Lyra cartridge and never experienced static. I did experience a sagging cantilever and the whole cartridge was replaced.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Atlas is cool. Etna is a duck.

Sphere1

Oct 10, 2019
Hello again;

My Lyra Etna SL was returned to Lyra USA. Cart was completely checked and re-worked. No faults were found. Meanwhile, I was using a Kleos on my VPI Avenger with the VPI 3D tonearm. No static. A week ago, I received a new Dynavector XV-1t. It plays beautifully, no static pops. It also has a boron arm, but no carbon (diamond) coating for stiffness. Zero static and ultra quiet cart. So, cannot say where the static originates or why it is there, but Lyra Etna SL is now history and I am loving the Dynavector XV-1t, which I hear as a better cartridge than the Etna SL. The soundstage is stunning. Tonal qualities are also excellent. So, after a long and trying journey through carts and tonearms, I have come up a winner. Bye bye Lyra, hello Dynavector.

Chas,

Could you tell me what phono preamp you are using? It seems there is some correlation between what phono preamp is being used with the diamond coated cantilevers and the static problems.

Thanks for the info on the Dynavector. Maybe a Dynavector is the way I should go instead of spending all my time trying to fight this problem. I spend more time trying to fix the problem than just enjoying the music.

Thanks,
Jeff

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
The last Olympos in the world,
new from Audiograffiti,Italian distributor

Attachments

• IMG_8903.jpg
    IMG_8903.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 13

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Audiograffiti Lyra stock,saw today

Attachments

• IMG_8902.jpg
    IMG_8902.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 38

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Chas,

Could you tell me what phono preamp you are using? It seems there is some correlation between what phono preamp is being used with the diamond coated cantilevers and the static problems.

Thanks for the info on the Dynavector. Maybe a Dynavector is the way I should go instead of spending all my time trying to fight this problem. I spend more time trying to fix the problem than just enjoying the music.

Thanks,
Jeff
Hi, Jeff

I am using a Genesis phono preamp, the top model. That isn't the problem because my audio dealer swapped this preamp for another. Still had static issues. Gary Koh was there and heard it. Found it unbearable. Couldn't get through a record without the irrepressible urge to take it off due to static pops. My dealer, a longtime Lyra agent, heard it. Talked to Matt at VPI about it. There had been problems in the past with VIP tables. Seems that the spindle somehow generated static on one of their units. There was no determinable solution in my case until I changed to the Kleos and then to Dynavector. Love the latter. Static is history.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
We did try that. The key to the static problem in my system was the presence or absence of the Lyra Etna cartridge. Taking it out made all the difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing