Lyra Connoisseur Preamp : Senior but not Senile!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A good friend of mine recently bought an used Lyra Connoisseur Preamp.
It has been discontinued for years but the condition is excellent!

IMG-20210129-WA0050.jpg
20210130_224721~2.jpg
20210130_224630~2.jpg

It is a Japanese 100V version.
When my friend brought it home and have a brief listen, a 220v-to-100V transformer was used.

IMG-20210129-WA0051.jpg

Quite inconvenient but why he was willing to buy it?
It's because he has a pairing Lyra Connoisseur Phonoamp!
It is said that they have an unbelievable synergy when used together.
And my friend used a Lyra Etna SL before, but currently got a Lyra Olympos X-Frame.

20210130_221922~2.jpg

Here are the two of them (their main units) in my friend's rack :

20210130_222051~2.jpg

Actually they have the same external powersupply unit.

IMG-20210130-WA0028.jpg

Mr. Jonathan Carr is willing to upgrade the PSU of both of them to the newest Ver4.3 mk2.
And at the same time changing the Phonoamp psu from 100V to the 220V of HK.

They are now on the way to Japan :

IMG-20210131-WA0021.jpg

I can't wait to listen to the performance of the Lyra Olympos X-Frame with the upgraded Lyra Connoisseur Prwamp and Phonoamp!
:D

banpuku

Apr 24, 2010
MN
I recall owning a pair of Lyra Connoisseur pre-amps. Probably the best solid-state pre-amps I have heard. Also, some of the best craftsmanship with it's air dielectric circuitry. And the sound, the best solid state I have encountered. For frame of reference, I have owned (or enjoyed at length) VTL, ARC, Boulder, Doshi, Lyra, EMT JPA-66, Vacuum State and others. My current reference is EMIA phono and elmaformer. Lyra is very natural for solid state. Easy on the shoulders, lets you relax.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
A good friend of mine recently bought an used Lyra Connoisseur Preamp.
It has been discontinued for years but the condition is excellent!

View attachment 74991
View attachment 74992
View attachment 74993

It is a Japanese 100V version.
When my friend brought it home and have a brief listen, a 220v-to-100V transformer was used.

View attachment 74994

Quite inconvenient but why he was willing to buy it?
It's because he has a pairing Lyra Connoisseur Phonoamp!
It is said that they have an unbelievable synergy when used together.
And my friend used a Lyra Etna SL before, but currently got a Lyra Olympos X-Frame.

View attachment 74997

Here are the two of them (their main units) in my friend's rack :

View attachment 74995

Actually they have the same external powersupply unit.

View attachment 74996

Mr. Jonathan Carr is willing to upgrade the PSU of both of them to the newest Ver4.3 mk2.
And at the same time changing the Phonoamp psu from 100V to the 220V of HK.

They are now on the way to Japan :

View attachment 74998

I can't wait to listen to the performance of the Lyra Olympos X-Frame with the upgraded Lyra Connoisseur Prwamp and Phonoamp!
:D

I owned both the Lyra Connoisseur 4.2 and Phonostage great gear especially the Preamp is very good and will remain so enjoy them!

Reactions: CKKeung

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I saw that preamp in the shop and thought about it for a while. Always liked this model.

Reactions: CKKeung

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Where it all started --the Brilliant Mares Connoisseur 2.0 Jonathan C took up the reins and ran with it since --Kudos!

Easily together with the Curl Vendetta ( T teflon capped version) possibly the two finest Phono stages to come from a SS JFet stable.

I've heard the Mares and owned 3 Vendettas.

You have a jewel of great beauty there CK savour it ;)

Incidentally I wonder where Jonathan gets his Jfets from?--I believe they were out of production ages ago--Charlie Hansen(RIP)

was rumoured to have snavelled the last batch of the fabled Hitachi's for himself:cool:!

BruceD
Mares2.jpg

banpuku

Apr 24, 2010
MN
Last I knew, and this is 10 year old information, Lyra no longer produces the Connoisseur pre-amps. I was in correspondance with Jonathan Carr at the time and he indicated that the EU banned the type of solder that they were using and did not like the sound of alternative solder, so they stopped making the product.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Last I knew, and this is 10 year old information, Lyra no longer produces the Connoisseur pre-amps. I was in correspondance with Jonathan Carr at the time and he indicated that the EU banned the type of solder that they were using and did not like the sound of alternative solder, so they stopped making the product.
Yes this ROH's rubbish has taken some fine audio products with it or rather out of the EU

--Shindo for one.

Funny the Core solder Ok for the Military but not for Sir, Señor ,Frau ,etc etc etc :p !

Ah well inquisitive minds will search the workaround --human nature;)

Carry on chaps ,

BruceD

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Gorgeous and timeless products. I once aspired yo them just as the new regulations came in and production ceased. Great shame

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think Roy Gregory has kept his personal Lyra all these years (including as of now) as a reference preamp. He has mentioned this in the past, and is a huge admirer of this legendary piece.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing