Mac Mini vs. MacBook for music server

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I ve purchased the mac mini m2 yesterday, a basic model, and from the first moment it has made noticebale improvement over the the old & trusty 2012 macbook pro with cd rom drive. I had to use USB-C to USB A adapter as the Mac MIni 2 would not recognize my fancy USB cable with separate signal and power ends....
Improved areas mainly are in instrumental texture & tonality, improved depth, improved bass, and its pitch, and separation. Sound is noticeably (to my ears anyway) refined over the 2012 macbook pro. Overall, despite having few bugs and quircks I can recommend the mac mini 2 . I use it with shared Itunes library over wifi ( this sharing causes few headaches on its own) and Audirvana Studio 3.5 with Tidal & Qobuz, used sporadically. Using it with very good power cord. Just my couple of cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryK and matthias

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Thanks for the review. I’m trying to decide if I want to upgrade my Mac Mini. Are you running it headlessly? What do you do for a display?

I was using the Luna gadget to broadcast the display to an iPad but sometimes I have trouble with that. Does Apple have a better display sharing technology at this time? Is it AirPlay?

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Thanks for the review. I’m trying to decide if I want to upgrade my Mac Mini. Are you running it headlessly? What do you do for a display?

I was using the Luna gadget to broadcast the display to an iPad but sometimes I have trouble with that. Does Apple have a better display sharing technology at this time? Is it AirPlay?
I am using long , 25 ft hdmi cable to connect Mac Mini to my main tv, but mainly using both Audirvana remote app, and Itunes Remote app on both Ipad and Iphone. Using Apple Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. Not all long hdmi cables have worked, I had to try out 3 4K cables from Amazon, before finding the model that worked with this M2 Mini. If u decide to use HDMI cable, let me know and I will provide the model of which one has worked well for me.

Last edited:

pashkaam

Jan 26, 2024
Philly
Since there is no or very little information, I decided to compare the sound of the 2012, 2013-2015 MBP 24 with the 2012 i5 Mac Mini i7 . Also MBP M1.
I compared the sound using optics cable
2012 Mac Mini is bassy, mid-bass sticks out, not very careful in subtleties and details, but very assertive and accentuated sound. Instruments can be increased in size. In general,
I listened to Mac Mini 2012 for 12 years,
The first one to test was the 2012 MBP decided to try it didn’t offend me in any way with its sound.
NEXT for test I bought a 2013 MacBook Pro because from 2013 to 2015 Apple installed 24/192 digital output.
Yes, the 2013 MBP was immediately noticeable by the difference in sound, it was more subtle and detailed, the stage deepened and became more transparent. The bass was not as punchy as the Mac Mini, but had more detail and vibration.

I listened for several days, changing positions of the 2013 MBP, switching to the 2012 Mac Mini, and listened for a long time without switching.
Honestly, twice I was sure that the MBP was better, but when I turned on the Mac Mini it squeezed out the dynamics from poor recordings, especially on rock. To this day I have not decided which is preferable. For 12 years I got used to the sound of the Mac Mini.
I decided to try the new MacBook Pro M1 But it does not have a digital output, I did a long search and bought a DDC digital converter. SMSL PO100 PRO.

I listened for several days, changing positions of the 2013 MBP, switching to the Mac Mini, and listened for a long time without switching.
Honestly, twice I was sure that the MBP was better, but when I turned on the Mac Mini it squeezed out the dynamics from poor recordings, especially on rock. To this day I have not decided which is preferable. For 12 years I got used to the sound of the Mac Mini. But in all tests I enjoyed the sound of the MBP, it was more correct, not as intrusive as the Mac Mini.
I decided to try the new MacBook Pro M1 But it does not have a digital output, I did a long search and bought a DDC digital converter. SMSL PO100 PRO.
I immediately connected it to the Mac Mini. The sound from became the same as on the MBP2013. .
I decided to compare the internal converter of the 2013 MBP and the sound of the new MacBook Pro M1 through the converter SMLS . In this test the sound was almost the same. The MacBook Pro 2013 was a little softer than the M1 MBP, perhaps the converter has not yet burned out, there is such a thing that any equipment needs time to enter the mode and open up.
I think that the MacBook Pro 2013 and M1 as a music streamer are the same, I don’t have an M1 or M2 Mac Mini, perhaps the sound will be different like the 2013 MBP and Mac Mini.
Due to limitations and saving battery power, the MBP may have a thinner but clearer sound; the Mac Mini has internal power and is not limited.

Important:
I tried connecting an external linear low-noise power supply for the Mac Mini,
I didn’t hear any difference, maybe there was one, but it’s not worth any effort to introduce an external power supply.

Has anyone compared the New M1 M2 Mac Mini and MacBook Pro in sound?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I suggest you get a decent music server, then try again. I also ran a customised Mac mini wth LPS, then later have tried a Mac Mini M1 and they are way off the sound you can get with a decent music server.
You can get half way there if you use a PS Audio power plant for the Mac mini, big upgrade. So there is clearly a lot of hash going into the sound chain, via the weak main power supply inside the Mac.
Having said all this, I will still use a Mac Mini M1 in a 'casual' music system in another room, it is ok for that.

Reactions: pashkaam

pashkaam

Jan 26, 2024
Philly
I suggest you get a decent music server, then try again. I also ran a customised Mac mini wth LPS, then later have tried a Mac Mini M1 and they are way off the sound you can get with a decent music server.
You can get half way there if you use a PS Audio power plant for the Mac mini, big upgrade. So there is clearly a lot of hash going into the sound chain, via the weak main power supply inside the Mac.
Having said all this, I will still use a Mac Mini M1 in a 'casual' music system in another room, it is ok for that.
Thank you Legolas.
I'm not ready to buy a music server yet. Yes, it may sound better out of the box, but there is nothing cool inside.
I already held my finger over the button to buy a Mac Mini M1 to try it , knowing that the Mac Mini sounds better than the MBP, but this is through the optical output, but if connect an external USB to SPDIF converter, anyway will get the same sound as on the MBP.
The sound of one record album playing since 2012 Mac mini and LP are sounding same, but through the USB to SPDIF converter it becomes thin from mac mini.

I came across claims that the old 2009 Mac Mini sounds better than the subsequent ones,
I looked and it has an external power supply. There is an idea to buy and try, but need to lower the power in the 2009 power supply, where it is 18.5V.

I also looked at the M1 M2 Mac mini from 2018 to today, the power supply is large size and more power at 150 watts but it will not fit into the 2012 2014 Mac mini.
After connecting the linear power supply to the Mac Mini and seeing no difference, I began to doubt any power changes.

pashkaam

Jan 26, 2024
Philly
I accidentally bought an inexpensive Glass optical cable ,( not fiber glass) it is much better than fiber glass. The bass is deeper and more detailed and at the same time more transparent. Sold on Amazon, only one for sale made of glass. $35 3" and $40 6".

pashkaam

Jan 26, 2024
Philly
Another tweak for sound, but only where two phases 120v 0 120v come to the house. USA only.

If the equipment has a switch from AC120 to 220V, then you can throw in two phases and power the equipment. I turned on the Mac mini at 240V (two phases (Hot Hot)) the sound became better, more dense, more body.

pashkaam

Jan 26, 2024
Philly
Maybe it will be useful for someone to connect two Macs to one TV or monitor so that one plays only music and the second is for other needs.

I searched everywhere, even asked natural intelligence, the guy turned out to be stupid.
Go to Finder Preferences, the main thing is that the option is turned on, check the Connected Servers box and Look in the Finder on the left "Network" , then click and find the second Mac, enter the user to hire a second Mac and password. All the second screen is in the first. Two in one

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing