Magico A5?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I sent an inquiry to Magico asking how they compared to the original S3, this is what Peter Mackay responed with....

Thank you for your message and inquiry regarding the sound performance of the new A5 in comparison to the original S3.

We are pleased to report without hesitation that the performance level of the new A5 will easily surpass the original S3 loudspeakers. The advancements made at Magico over the past 2-3 years with transducer, enclosure and crossover designs are vast and have raised the bar significantly since the release of the S3.
WOW. The Magico "A" Game is changing things ...

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I sent an inquiry to Magico asking how they compared to the original S3, this is what Peter Mackay responed with....

Thank you for your message and inquiry regarding the sound performance of the new A5 in comparison to the original S3.

We are pleased to report without hesitation that the performance level of the new A5 will easily surpass the original S3 loudspeakers. The advancements made at Magico over the past 2-3 years with transducer, enclosure and crossover designs are vast and have raised the bar significantly since the release of the S3.
I never really liked the S3 Mk1 despite the hystrionics on another forum about the impact of the new midrange enclosure. I thought the S5 Mk1 was a better speaker because it was better balanced overall & had better bass. The S5Mk2 OTOH is in another league to both speakers. Though how it would compare to the A5 I couldn't say?

pdxaudio

Feb 7, 2020
I know Magico A5 is not out yet but I’m wondering if anyone has an opinion on how it might compare to other similarly priced speakers like B&W 802 D3 or Revel Salon2.

I’m also curious how it might compare to the older Q5 or the newer M series. I know these are in a completely different price range but I’m wondering if anyone has compare A2 to M2 for example.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Last edited:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I wish I had a reference in the pic of xovers because they look as large as the typical guts of a decent 200 wpc ab amp from here!

Reactions: displayname

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The A5 has arrived at the showroom of Radar Audio, the official dealer of Magico in Hong Kong.
They are receiving serious burn-in, with the new Gryphon Essence Monos.
I shall let them to have some time to settle down first.
May go there for an audition in 1 or 2 weeks' time.
:D

IMG-20200518-WA0023~2.jpg

Last edited:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
they look like the business.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I visited the Magico dealer showroom with friends yesterday and auditioned the A5.

20200530_144711~3.jpg

Although having a beryllium tweeter, a 5" midrange and three 9" woofers, its size is similar to a M2 which got one woofer less.
The built was solid but a bit understated.

20200530_144724~2.jpg

It was driven by Constellation Centaur Monos which were in term supplied by a PS Audio P20 per side.

20200530_144945~2.jpg

The speaker cables were Nordost Odin2.

20200530_144735~2.jpg

That it was paired with such hiend amps was because we wanted to explore its full potential.
However we couldn't fully realized our goal.
I will tell you why on my coming post.
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: TLi

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
We spent 2 hours in the showroom.

Right from the first minute of A5 audition, we were surprised by its performance which was way above our expectation based on our previous A3 audition.

We therefore paired it with progressively higher levels of source, from CAS by a Roon Nucleus+, to playing sacd via a dCS Vivaldi One to eventually via Vivaldi 4-pieces.

20200530_153839~2.jpg

IMHO I don't think that it should belong to the A Series. It doesn't differ from A1 & A3 by being only bigger sized/can play louder.

Actually performance-wise it surpasses A3 very significantly.
My personal estimation is that it betters the S Series Mk1 and is very close to S Series Mk2.
The new crossover which employs new Mundorf MResist resistors and the new 5" midrange driver must be the main reasons.
It excels in resolution. The midrange is rich and the treble is extended, agile, lively and natural.
The resolution is not far behind the S Series Mk2 with diamond-coated tweeters.
This is one of the best beryllium tweeter performance I have ever encountered.
The soundstage is 3D and images stable.

The only aspect which I felt wanting was the bass.
It was a bit light in quantity, not commensurating with the three 9" woofers of the A5.
That pair of A5 arrived in HK 2 weeks ago. Despite being burned-in by the dealer everyday, I think they need much more time before their real potential in bass quantity can be realized.

All in all I give Alon Wolf/Magico very high respect, for making the A5 which gives stellar performance at such a "humble" price point.
I guess many models of other brands whose msrp are <usd30-35k will be in deep trouble.
:cool:

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Off topic but any idea what that front wall treatment is?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
[/QUOTE]

IMHO I don't think that it should belong to the A Series. It doesn't differ from A1 & A3 by being only bigger sized/can play louder.

Actually performance-wise it surpasses A3 very significantly.
My personal estimation is that it betters the S Series Mk1 and is very close to S Series Mk2.
The new crossover which employs new Mundorf MResist resistors and the new 5" midrange driver must be the main reaso

All in all I give Alon Wolf/Magico very high respect, for making the A5 which gives stellar performance at such a "humble" price point.
I guess many models of other brands whose msrp are <usd30-35k will be in deep trouble.
:cool:[/QUOTE]

I own Magico S3 Mk2s. It took about 500 hours to get mine broken in, and I thought I noticed subtle changes for another several hundred hours.

Reactions: AJR and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Hi CK,Thx.

I'm even interested in my future observations and comments:) Right now I'm still scratching my head.

The A5s now have 50 hours on them and are sounding glorious. BUT I will wait now until the 300 hour mark, then they should be settled in a bit more and then will give my impressions at that time.

Btw, I had read your comments I think last week, but forgot about the since the arrival of the A5s a few days ago. It was almost a relief to just read your observations of the A5s. Now I realize it's not just me and thank you for that!

The one point about the bass is might be a bit room dependent. In my room/system the bass is quite full sounding along with the Magico sealed box clarity in the bass. Bass is SO room/system dependent, BUT a lot of break-in usually is required prior to the bass reaching it's full potential. A lot of time 500+ hours.

Reactions: KLH007 and CKKeung

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice review. I've ordered a pair.

Reactions: KLH007

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: tobiasrankin

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Wonder what the bass performance and treble is like compared to s5 mk2.

It will be good if you can hear a pair in the future and then know for yourself.

If you hear the S5II in a well set up system with complimentary electronics it's going to sound really good. Ditto for the A5s.

They both have VG bass performance and I don't find either lacking in high frequency performance. Probably more to do with the room(s) and equipment you would hear them in as they both are very good performers in both mentioned areas, imho.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing