Magico A5?

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
My local dealer has a single Rel No.31 with his A5. Sounds very nice.
Thanks for the info. REL is certainly on the short list. The dealer from whom I purchased the A5's also recommended REL but they suggested a pair of Carbon Specials.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Thanks for the info. REL is certainly on the short list. The dealer from whom I purchased the A5's also recommended REL but they suggested a pair of Carbon Specials.
I'm sure a pair of Carbon Specials would be quite impressive. Honestly I don't think you are going to make a bad decision whatever way you go.

Reactions: mxk116

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I have a pair of Magico A5 speakers and considering adding a pair of subs. What subs did you use in your rig?
I use homemade subs w 12” Peerless drivers and 250w cheap plate amps.
Definitely a small improvement as subs tend to be, but nothing amazing.
I am waiting for SVS SB4000s to go on special and I will get a pair of them, UNported to match the A5s.
I am not sure I have ever heard a system as good as mine, but that is at dealers, I haven’t seen many audiophiles’s systems …

Last edited:

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
I have not heard really good ported subs. I did look at Funk subs (sealed?) before deciding to go with the Sub 2 which of course is fully sealed also has the ARC/PBK room correction I had a big bass boost in my room 35–40Hz and ARC completely smoothed that out. The Sub 2 due to its compact size fits perfectly in my room (think coffee table, which it gets used all the time) and I don’t have any room to have two subs.

Since I got the A5’s I’ll need to run some tests again and possibly make some tweaks.
Been insanely busy lately.

Reactions: ICUToo

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Heard a5 and m2 side by side. For me, I turned off the a5 and never went back to them.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I use homemade subs w 12” Peerless drivers and 250w cheap plate amps.
Definitely a small improvement as subs tend to be, but nothing amazing.
I am waiting for SVS SB4000s to go on special and I will get a pair of them, UNported to match the A5s.
I am not sure I have ever heard a system as good as mine, but that is at dealers, I haven’t seen many audiophiles’s systems …
I use a pair of the SB4000s with my Wilson WP8s and they work great IMO.

Reactions: ICUToo

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
Heard a5 and m2 side by side. For me, I turned off the a5 and never went back to them.
Nice you had a chance to compare both. My dealer has both, although he pointed me to the A5’s. Yes, he mentioned M2 were better, but to him, not so much as maybe what you heard. He is a dealer and has access to some crazy high end gear which allows him to hear across all sorts of gear, cables etc. A5’s hit a big sweet spot as noted by many reviewers.

Here in Canada, M2 go for $99k, four times the cost of A5’s.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Picked up a new pair A5's and was curious if anyone bought the A Pods ? Thoughts

Congrats on your new speakers. I’ve only heard the A5s with pods, and they were excellent. Before I upgraded to our current M3s, I did own the A3s for a while. I heard them both with and without the pods. The difference with the pods is tremendous. IMO they are worth every penny.

Reactions: rau

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Picked up a new pair A5's and was curious if anyone bought the A Pods ? Thoughts
I have my A5s on a "home-made" set of A-Pods (aluminium/copper/absorbent sandwiches)- seemed to improve things a bit- I would suspect that the A-pods would be a good addition

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
I'm shocked with the sound of these A5's and they are not even broke in yet . OMG the bass ! Just a joy to listen to
Yes, and they only get better!

Reactions: HenryD and Audire

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...FWIW @rau I have my A5s on IsoAcoustic Gaias. I used the stock spikes initially, but for me the Gaias are much better. Engineered wood flooring over concrete pad. Quite like the speakers, BTW.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
...FWIW @rau I have my A5s on IsoAcoustic Gaias. I used the stock spikes initially, but for me the Gaias are much better. Engineered wood flooring over concrete pad. Quite like the speakers, BTW.
I have IsoAcoustics Gaia Titan Theis 70 & IsoAcoustics Gaia Titan Carpet under my
Focal Maestro Utopia Evo with great results
Just wondered If APOD would be better . Has to be a lot simpler that dealing with those carpet disks :)

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...brother I understand. I bought the A5s after a dealer and subsequent home demo, but within a month, several excellent reviews were published, and that, combined with inflation, supply chain issues and general world insanity, the price really went up pretty quickly. Just good luck on my part.

I was shocked when I later saw the price difference. But I certainly enjoy the music, and will admit to a certain satisfaction when I tap on the cabinet-top on the way upstairs, after a listening session. It is like tapping on a rock.

I hope you continue to enjoy the A5s in your home, @rau Cheers...

Reactions: Soundrulz

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
I went to. Magico dealer yesterday and heard the A3 for the first time. I was very impressed. I thought before actually hearing them, the bass would be lacking. No way!

Reactions: Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing