Magico M7 2023

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
let's hope that those who buy these nice speakers at least appreciate them :)
With due respect, who cares? If the guy (gal) buys ultra expensive stuff to adorn their beautiful home and never plays a song, what does it matter? The mfg made it and sold it, perhaps pushing the limits of design and execution (debatable of course) but it allowed the mfg to bring his passion to reality, created jobs for others along the way, and maybe some other audio geek gets to buy it for a discount when the original buyer decides it no longer matches the new painting on the wall.

Passionate people making products, passionate (or not) people buying products at the dollar store level or the Bugatti level makes the world go round. [EDIT: Political comment that threw the thread off topic removed]

our little world of audiophilia has members at all levels, everybody doin’ their own thing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
I subscribed to this thread to try to learn more about the Magico M7. After reading the last 30 or so posts I forgot what this thread is about. Unsubscribed

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ladies and gentlemen, good evening to you all. Multiple off topic posts were removed from this thread. The thing that started it was one seemingly innocent comment (political in nature) that started a political discussion and threw the thread off of the train tracks. This is why the TOS states that we do not discuss politics.

Now, let's get back to the Magico M7. Thanks.

Tom

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I think we're a little off topic

but don't think there is anyone who is sane enough (we are sane, even though we are "sick" in this beloved hobby) who buys (very) very expensive equipment just for display and show-off, or to enter some imaginary club,
it is true that there are oligarchs who mostly let some dealer "solve" a setup for them from the gear they import , but it's such a small percentage... By the way, most of the magazines rely on their photos,(Even if the setup/speakers not wired at all :) ) takes a fantastic shots, in luxury houses.

I can speak for myself, who chose the equipment I chose to invest in, from many tests I did, personal preferences of "my" sound, which I searched for and aspired to.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
yes, you are exactly judging others.

while i respect the DIY culture and mentality, not all of us have the desire or mentality to understand or build stuff, let alone electronics. and to infer that somehow this is a higher more pure or finer way to listen to music is to degrade other's efforts. when i was 15 (actually started at 11) i worked and bought myself a Wollensak reel to reel tape deck. i loved that thing. this has continued my whole life. i work, and then i buy stuff.

should i feel less satisfied with my system since i did not build any of the gear? i did work 6 days a week for 50 years to allow me to enjoy my life and my hobby.

honestly i wish i was smarter, and that the inner workings of electronics came to me more easily. i admire those that can do those things. we all travel down our own path.

i agree that listening to stuff you build is cool. but it's not lowering the satisfaction, or the rightness, of those who can't or are not called to build stuff.

i do respect mega buck gear does cause one to reflect in various ways. maybe somehow i misunderstood your point?

just my 2 cents. YMMV.
Well, you don't have to build it yourself, but you should learn certain connections, such as how amplifiers work with speakers. That protects a lot against bad investments in my opinion. Reading a book has never harmed anyone or made them stupider.
For example, a speaker measurement reveals so much about a good choice of amplifier or a bad choice. Hi-fi is usually a losing proposition unless you buy classics that don't lose value.
P.S
There are now so many YouTube channels that explain things clearly to everyone with very good technical knowledge.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
should i feel less satisfied with my system since i did not build any of the gear?

yes but you have time now that you have retired. You need something to do while you are out on your yacht in the sea. You can only fish so much.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning to you all. This thread has been cleaned up once again. I would like to remind you all that we try to rule with a gentle hand, but if we must, we will take administrative action. Any posts removed during a cleanup (that has now happened twice) are at the sole discretion of the moderation team. Some acceptable (by TOS standards) posts get wiped out as well during a thread cleanup because if they were left, they would make the way the thread would be read after the cleanup, unintelligible.

This thread topic is about the Magico M7. The discussion should be about the Magico M7.

Please keep this thread on track. Be respectful to those who have subscribed to this thread, hoping to find out more information about the M7, instead of posting completely off topic posts. Thank you.

Tom

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Thanks for posting - I look forward to playing that track on my system. And the speakers and system sound fantastic—bravo Alon Wolf.

Reactions: GuyB and AudioGod

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
I am somewhat disappointed that the M7 is not bi-amped like the M9, as it will take an amplifier with a ton of power to drive these speakers. The M6 already requires a substantial amp, and even one reviewer under-powered it. One can only imagine what the M7 will need.

What are the options to drive the M7s, besides the Piliums that are seen so often? Gryphons Apex Monos?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I am somewhat disappointed that the M7 is not bi-amped like the M9, as it will take an amplifier with a ton of power to drive these speakers. The M6 already requires a substantial amp, and even one reviewer under-powered it. One can only imagine what the M7 will need.

What are the options to drive the M7s, besides the Piliums that are seen so often? Gryphons Apex Monos?
Maybe just go with Pilium? An Achilles stereo amp (300w into 8 ohms, doubling on down, and stable into 1 ohm) isn’t exorbitantly priced ($49k) compared to many at the sound quality level they reside in. Magico demos with bigger Pilium amps, usually monos, but the Achilles is eminently capable and is really two amps in a single chassis.

And, yes, I represent Pilium. There is a reason Alon often chooses to demo with Pilium — have a listen you’ll understand why.

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
Maybe just go with Pilium? An Achilles stereo amp (300w into 8 ohms, doubling on down, and stable into 1 ohm) isn’t exorbitantly priced ($49k) compared to many at the sound quality level they reside in. Magico demos with bigger Pilium amps, usually monos, but the Achilles is eminently capable and is really two amps in a single chassis.

And, yes, I represent Pilium. There is a reason Alon often chooses to demo with Pilium — have a listen you’ll understand why.
With all respect, the question posed was that given the driving demands of the M7, what else would work besides Pilium? Since it's already known that a) Pilium does fine and b) Alon likes them (enough to use them anyway) the question is what else beyond that. Aside from that, one may align with Alon's approach to speakers, but disagree with his listening priorities with amplifiers.

It's not a debate of why not Pilium, or what's wrong with Pilium, as amp choices like speaker choices are highly subjective and there is no right or wrong, just points of view and preferences.

With a speaker as revealing of the source (presumably, as I have never heard them) as the M7 is, the system may sound mostly like the amp and electronics. So what are the choices?

For example, let's assume Gryphons Apex Monos would work well, (I am not sure, have not heard) but sound a lot different that Piliums, I think.

So, again, what are the options given the configuration of drivers and what we know about Magico's demands on amps?

Reactions: Al M. and ctydwn

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Any WBF members had attended the M7 debut in Paris?
Please share!
Thanks!

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
With all respect, the question posed was that given the driving demands of the M7, what else would work besides Pilium? Since it's already known that a) Pilium does fine and b) Alon likes them (enough to use them anyway) the question is what else beyond that. Aside from that, one may align with Alon's approach to speakers, but disagree with his listening priorities with amplifiers.

It's not a debate of why not Pilium, or what's wrong with Pilium, as amp choices like speaker choices are highly subjective and there is no right or wrong, just points of view and preferences.

With a speaker as revealing of the source (presumably, as I have never heard them) as the M7 is, the system may sound mostly like the amp and electronics. So what are the choices?

For example, let's assume Gryphons Apex Monos would work well, (I am not sure, have not heard) but sound a lot different that Piliums, I think.

So, again, what are the options given the configuration of drivers and what we know about Magico's demands on amps?

I assume and @Rhapsody has already pointed out that any High quality stereo amp can fit and do the Job,
however, there is probably a reason that Alon really likes working with PILIUM electronics (it's not just the amp's, it's also the preamp), and he prefers it over other companies I won't mention ,
there is a uniqueness in PILIUM, Alon really connects with it,
and I guess that for him, the loudspeakers made by him, sound with PILIUM at the ideal level for him,
I have no doubt that the APEX can also take Magico levels very high.

As for why single and not B-AMP,
what is connected to the M7 - is PILIUM's ATLAS, apparently according to his testing, there is no need for a B-AMP configuration and according to the size of the room and the seating position, it is apparently unnecessary.
And the ATLAS mono is definitely enough.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It's not complicated. Itay123 says it perfectly. Try whatever high quality amps that float your boat. They (Gryphono, CH P, Solution, DZ, etc) are all going to sound different along with the room/sources that are used. The M7 are going to be ultra revealing of EVERYTHING upstream, so pick the amplification and rest of the system that you enjoy.

Reactions: itay123 and GuyB

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Potential buyers should address some key considerations\queries regarding the M7 loudspeaker:

1. What role does the impedance curve of the M7 play in determining amplifier selection and its subsequent impact on performance?

2. In driving the M7 with various amplifier types and brands, what specific challenges arise and how do these affect its overall performance?

3. What are M7's soundstage and imaging capabilities?

4. What are the ways buyers can do to maximize the M7's potential for performance, what should be room dimensions and optimal acoustics?

5. How does the M7's performance differ across music genres such as classical, jazz, rock, and electronic music?

6. In terms of price point, how does the Magico M7 compare to other high-end loudspeakers that boast similar performance specifications?

7. What would be the anticipated lifespan of the Magico M7 and how might this factor into its long-term value proposition now and as a resell?

The M7 is a speaker that commands attention due to several key factors. Its impedance curve holds significant sway in amplifier selection, soundstage quality, and its ability to adapt across various music genres. Moreover, considering room dimensions and optimizing acoustics contribute significantly to its overall performance.

Additionally, certain critical aspects warrant consideration when evaluating its value in the high-end loudspeaker market. Price comparisons, anticipation of its lifespan, and resale values all contribute to determining the M7's worth in this competitive landscape.

Reactions: Rotatoubib

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Potential buyers should address some key considerations\queries regarding the M7 loudspeaker:

1. What role does the impedance curve of the M7 play in determining amplifier selection and its subsequent impact on performance?

2. In driving the M7 with various amplifier types and brands, what specific challenges arise and how do these affect its overall performance?

4. What are the ways buyers can do to maximize the M7's potential for performance, what should be room dimensions and optimal acoustics?

5. How does the M7's performance differ across music genres such as classical, jazz, rock, and electronic music?

6. In terms of price point, how does the Magico M7 compare to other high-end loudspeakers that boast similar performance specifications?

7. What would be the anticipated lifespan of the Magico M7 and how might this factor into its long-term value proposition now and as a resell?

The M7 is a speaker that commands attention due to several key factors. Its impedance curve holds significant sway in amplifier selection, soundstage quality, and its ability to adapt across various music genres. Moreover, considering room dimensions and optimizing acoustics contribute significantly to its overall performance.

Additionally, certain critical aspects warrant consideration when evaluating its value in the high-end loudspeaker market. Price comparisons, anticipation of its lifespan, and resale values all contribute to determining the M7's worth in this competitive landscape.
All good points, the same as any other top performing speaker, although nothing that you mention pertains to the M7 specifically vs other speakers. imho.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
All good points, the same as any other top performing speaker, although nothing that you mention pertains to the M7 specifically vs other speakers. imho.
I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: GuyB

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland

You can ask that about every speaker on the planet .
And a better idea is just to buy it
Becaue there's no way it will disappoint ;)

Reactions: GuyB

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Ok I just had a euphony. Just saw that a bottle of scotch went for 2.7 million dollars. Bring on a 5 million dollar speaker please!
Give it two years time and see the offerings from Magico and Wilson :rolleyes: :p

• Wow
Reactions: Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing