Magico M9

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I could see a future speaker with the top of the M9 flipped upside down with the tweeter on top, midrange, then two 11" woofers, possibly powered, called M5. If they had active low frequencies and were much easier to drive, it would open up all sorts of possibilities for amplification. Who knows where this will go?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Haven’t you heard about the new $1,000,000/ft clear unobtainium speaker cables?

In the sequel to catch 22, Milo minderbinder sells the Pentagon stealth bombers that they cannot hear and cannot see. Are these "clear" speaker cables similar?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You mean these unobtainium cables?

"PYST cables are made from only the finest 6-nines Unobtanium™ alloy, molecularly assembled in our Alternate Universe™ reality-distortion tesseract field , using a secret geometry reverse-engineered from crashed UFOs, painstakingly smuggled out of Area 51 by deep-cover operatives. Performance is further enhanced by the use of a QuantConnect™ quantum-entangled pair of transmission interfaces, held at absolute zero by our exclusive Stasis Field™ technology. The cables are then wrapped in NanoAeroCap™, a nanotechnology-enabled aerogel anti-capacitance insulation system, featuring Fractal Interleaved Geometry™ to create negative inductance for maximum audio transmission quality."

https://www.schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

Are you using them in your system?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
The marketing literature of the M9 makes it sound like this is the debut of pistonic drivers in a Magico product.

It was always my understanding that the existing drivers in even an A model speaker were pistonic due to the use of graphene and other such exotic materials.

More so, than a paper driver.

Eighth generation Nano-Tec cones with Aluminum honeycomb core
Our insistence on diaphragm rigidity and pistonic motion also drove us to offer the world’s first loudspeaker cones with incredibly strong Graphene nanotubes. Every cone in the M9 incorporates our eighth generation Nano-Tec design. With this design, Magico became the world’s first to feature an Aluminum honeycomb core sandwiched between Graphene/carbon fiber skins. In previous Nano-Tec cones, the skins provided all the stiffness and the core provided damping. The Aluminum honeycomb changes everything, providing a core material so stiff that we need to apply 26,500 pounds (12,000 kg) of pressure to shape our 15-inch cones. This added stiffness pushes resonant frequencies far beyond audibility, requiring hardly any damping at all.
Graphene, the hallmark of the Nano-Tec cones, is a hexagonal lattice of carbon just one atom thick. Graphene combines incredible stiffness with the highest tensile strength of any material known to science – some 40 times that of carbon steel. The resulting cone is so rigid that, inverted on the ground, it will not deform after being run over by a sedan. With our eighth generation refinements, this unprecedented strength results in the closest ever approach to pure pistonic motion

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I could see a future speaker with the top of the M9 flipped upside down with the tweeter on top, midrange, then two 11" woofers, possibly powered, called M5. If they had active low frequencies and were much easier to drive, it would open up all sorts of possibilities for amplification. Who knows where this will go?
How about two M9s stacked on top of each other? That could be the M10.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I doubt if I will get these. I’m tired of ‘any color you want as long as it’s black’ speakers.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The marketing literature of the M9 makes it sound like this is the debut of pistonic drivers in a Magico product.

It was always my understanding that the existing drivers in even an A model speaker were pistonic due to the use of graphene and other such exotic materials.

More so, than a paper driver.

Eighth generation Nano-Tec cones with Aluminum honeycomb core
Our insistence on diaphragm rigidity and pistonic motion also drove us to offer the world’s first loudspeaker cones with incredibly strong Graphene nanotubes. Every cone in the M9 incorporates our eighth generation Nano-Tec design. With this design, Magico became the world’s first to feature an Aluminum honeycomb core sandwiched between Graphene/carbon fiber skins. In previous Nano-Tec cones, the skins provided all the stiffness and the core provided damping. The Aluminum honeycomb changes everything, providing a core material so stiff that we need to apply 26,500 pounds (12,000 kg) of pressure to shape our 15-inch cones. This added stiffness pushes resonant frequencies far beyond audibility, requiring hardly any damping at all.
Graphene, the hallmark of the Nano-Tec cones, is a hexagonal lattice of carbon just one atom thick. Graphene combines incredible stiffness with the highest tensile strength of any material known to science – some 40 times that of carbon steel. The resulting cone is so rigid that, inverted on the ground, it will not deform after being run over by a sedan. With our eighth generation refinements, this unprecedented strength results in the closest ever approach to pure pistonic motion

Has any compare proven Pistonic cone drivers sound better .. ?? Subjectively , Ribbons , ESL and Horns are far from Pistonic , yet ...!

Just saying ..!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Big speakers or the highway .... :)

Depends. If you have the room for them to breathe.

I bet most audiophiles' rooms are not large enough to properly accommodate an M9. Only some are.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Depends. If you have the room for them to breathe.

I bet most audiophiles' rooms are not large enough to properly accommodate an M9. Only some are.
Well, Al, good thing they're only planning to sell some Lol.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Reactions: PeterA

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Yes and my point , most speakers liked by audiophiles are not using Pistonic drivers and i get the physics behind it but have yet to hear the benefits ..

So you understand the physics, i.e., you actually hearing more of what is on the recording, but you fail to hear the benefits of such a benefit?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing