Magico M9

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I liked the videos, in the sense they so a lot of speaker potential. It should be tried with other amps, like FM, audionet, and plium (which I am yet to hear). Or just put in Mike's room. But it should not be difficult to get a great sound of this.

The question is after playing various records, how does the active crossover affect the transparency? That is difficult to make out through video.

And how deep does the bass go?

Price value is a different question..

In person listening required to confirm how it compares to zellaton statement. Haven't heard Avalon Tesseract or saga but given Avalon sound those two are possible contenders in cones. And possibly the 4 tower Marten to hear as well).

The above para is required to give the thread random direction

Reactions: Tango

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I liked the videos, in the sense they so a lot of speaker potential. It should be tried with other amps, like FM, audionet, and plium (which I am yet to hear). Or just put in Mike's room. But it should not be difficult to get a great sound of this.

The question is after playing various records, how does the active crossover affect the transparency? That is difficult to make out through video.

And how deep does the bass go?

Price value is a different question..

In person listening required to confirm how it compares to zellaton statement. Haven't heard Avalon Tesseract or saga but given Avalon sound those two are possible contenders in cones. And possibly the 4 tower Marten to hear as well).

The above para is required to give the thread random direction
I like the Marten Supreme Statement and used to own the Coltrane 2. The V2 is only 2 towers if I remember. Avalon Tesseract didn't do much for me when I heard it. Zellaton statement didn’t move me emotionally either.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I like the Marten Supreme Statement and used to own the Coltrane 2. The V2 is only 2 towers if I remember. Avalon Tesseract didn't do much for me when I heard it. Zellaton statement didn’t move me emotionally.

Depends what you heard the zellaton with. With FM it was quite emotional, on various classical, jazz, rock. The one at Munich was poorly set up. Avalon is possibly the most room dependent cone

Reactions: howiebrou

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ha! You do not have experience on bird sound. The sound of birds in the video threw you the suspension of disbelief. But that doesnt resemble natural as much as you said about violin. You were fool! :p You want to be a hell of a audiophile like me you go listen to birds in real. You will find that that sound of birds in video lack harmonic and has sharp leading edge. Bird chirping sound sharp but with soft edge. Before arguing with me go listen more birds. :)
LOL ! You are priceless Tang ! :p

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Common guys, quite arguing about Youtube videos, played back on some nasty cheap little computer speakers. Even if you take the clips and play them back with decent earbuds, they sounds nothing whatsoever like the original. Not even close. Not even hinting at not even close.
Take the original, subtract ALL the bass and dynamics, remove the top end, remove any semblance of tonal accuracy, subtract all spacial clues, add loads of coloration, add a ton of computer noise, mask the detail, distort the timing and whatever piece of midrange remains and you think that‘s worth arguing about?
I have a friend who is a manufacturer of high-end electronics who once embarrassingly admitted that he can diagnose some problems by listening to a system over the phone….and I get exactly what he means….certain common problems have an indentity….mistracking for example, too low tracking weight or a faulty or microphonic tube. But trying to judge fidelity over the phone would be a fools errand a little like judging the wine that accompanies a salad doused in a tasty balsamic dressing

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Common guys, quite arguing about Youtube videos, played back on some nasty cheap little computer speakers. Even if you take the clips and play them back with decent earbuds, they sounds nothing whatsoever like the original. Not even close. Not even hinting at not even close.
Take the original, subtract ALL the bass and dynamics, remove the top end, remove any semblance of tonal accuracy, subtract all spacial clues, add loads of coloration, add a ton of computer noise, mask the detail, distort the timing and whatever piece of midrange remains and you think that‘s worth arguing about?
I have a friend who is a manufacturer of high-end electronics who once embarrassingly admitted that he can diagnose some problems by listening to a system over the phone….and I get exactly what he means….certain common problems have an indentity….mistracking for example, too low tracking weight or a faulty or microphonic tube. But trying to judge fidelity over the phone would be a fools errand a little like judging the wine that accompanies a salad doused in a tasty balsamic dressing
But that would ruin everyone's fun;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Yeah, that’s true……mine as well probably
Btw, I AGREE with you 1000%. A lot of people find value in videos, which is great and not knocking their perspective on it at all, but for me, without the bass and the top end that is present in the room, especially the bass, which has an effect on the midrange, sound staging, mid-bass, and even the top end when listening in-room, there is no way to convey what is really happening in the room with YT videos.

Although you can judge videos against videos OR it might give a hint of what is going on in-room but drawing any conclusions is inconclusive imho.

Again for those that get results from the videos that's great, just doesn't work for me, OTHER than it's fun.

Reactions: hogen and Lagonda

Nakor

May 14, 2011
No because apparently his X over also has a powercord and a gainstage
from the Pass manual ;

The active circuits are DC coupled JFET complementary followers operated without feedback.

But the MXO has a 12 db gainstage thats all i wanted to know
MXO is also two box unit with a separate power supply to power the active circuitry. If it wasn't an active crossover, it could only attenuate signals and not have gain(stage).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
MXO is also two box unit with a separate power supply to power the active circuitry. If it wasn't an active crossover, it could only attenuate signals and not have gain(stage).
Exactly :cool:

Where it not that other LS manufacturers call the latter situation also "active " causing the confusion.

Ps Regarding YT , its exactly why audiodealers are necessary in the High end world , because besides Tango and Ked :p there is nobody who s gonna buy something expensive like a speaker based on a I phone vid

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
The M9 are Alon's masterpiece imho.

Hi Bob,
You think these are more so than his horns? Are these truly better ? Or are talking about subjective preferences?

Personally, I can count on one hand box speakers I have enjoyed in my whole life, and I'd take his horns (in an excellent room), and slap on some killer 300B or 845 amps. (And in the second room, I'd have the MBL 101 Xtremes.)

And I'd be done. :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob,
You think these are more so than his horns? Are these truly better ? Or are talking about subjective preferences?

Personally, I can count on one hand box speakers I have enjoyed in my whole life, and I'd take his horns (in an excellent room), and slap on some killer 300B or 845 amps. (And in the second room, I'd have the MBL 101 Xtremes.)

Hi Caeser,

Who knows? All personal preference especially at this level. I can't wait to get my M9s. It all happened for me after I heard the A5's. They changed my mind on cabinet speakers in general. Everyone is different, with different equations to solve. I look forward to a long term relationship with the incoming M9s.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
There is a lot you can’t tell, but there are things you can, especially once compared to other videos. The lack of coloration, clarity, seamlessness, separation, and the extended uncompressed highs are in a league of their own.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Caeser,

Who knows? All personal preference especially at this level. I can't wait to get my M9s. It all happened for me after I heard the A5's. They changed my mind on cabinet speakers in general. Everyone is different, with different equations to solve. I look forward to a long term relationship with the incoming M9s.
Sure. Makes sense. It seems we all have that personal tipping where a technology / experience we didn't like in the past but now like.

From a business perspective, do you think the horns are just too huge for people's living spaces, so they aren't getting the buzz these M9s are? Or do you think most people have been acclimated to like the box speaker sound? In comparison, at $500K vs. $750K, the Magico horns are a "bargain" compared to the M9s. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Bob,

I had always thought that previous Magico speakers were more viable commercially then the ultimate horns. But now with the M9 and the amplifier requirements, I’m not so sure.

I would love to hear the M9 and the ultimate three in the same room paired with appropriate amplification. Size and cost are now much more similar. And if you could add his Titan subs to the horn you got close to the price of the M9 I guess. No idea which he himself considers his masterpiece.

Edit: I now see that Cesar started a thread about these two speakers before so much of this has already been discussed and quite a few people unsubscribed from that thread so it’s a contentious subject. Pardon me for commenting.

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Exactly :cool:

Where it not that other LS manufacturers call the latter situation also "active " causing the confusion.

Ps Regarding YT , its exactly why audiodealers are necessary in the High end world , because besides Tango and Ked :p there is nobody who s gonna buy something expensive like a speaker based on a I phone vid
Curious, which other “LS manufacturer" caused the confusion?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing