MCB & other Breakers : Not to be ignored when perfecting audio powerlines

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I could possbly build a subpanel up in the USA like your panel. Question becomes, sometime back the NEC started demanding "assemblies " be UL listed. For instance, refrigeration guys would build panels like that in the field. Then inspectors started failing them and they had to buy them complete. It would probably come down to a testing agency stamp. It does not have to be UL. There are other accredited testing agency that are accepted in the USA.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Waiting for installation...

6AAD9339-02A8-420E-B4AC-E50AE9FA63B2.jpeg

Reactions: CKKeung and Blue58

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Waiting for installation...

View attachment 71880
Just a heads-up. There are compatibility issues between a Doepke Switch, a Gigawatt switch and the rest of the components in your consumer unit.
The best solution is a dedicated Consumer unit for the Doepke and Gigawatt, using Henley blocks to T-off 25mm2 tails directly after your meter.

What are the problems?

Firstly, the cable inlets dont align. Doepke inlet is at the front of the switch and Gigawatt at the rear, so you can‘t use a bus bar for the phase feed.
Then, the inputs are at the top of the Doepke and at the bottom of the Gigawatt, so you need a decent piece of 16mm2 cable to connect the 2 (See diagram below)
Finally, the Gigawatt switch isn’t the same depth as regular circuit breakers, so doesn’t completely fill the switch access cutout in the front cover of the consumer unit.

FYI, here’s pictures of the finished supply, the meter tails and a diagram that I handed to my electrician before he got started

Having said all that, the combination of Doepke and Gigawatt significantly outperforms my previously installed dedicated lines based on a regular RCCB and cut-out switch and German-made Klangmodul (Sound module) fuses. The extra work was well worth it.

Attachments

• 73A134A9-82E2-4A7B-8563-6BC0B9FE753C.jpeg
    73A134A9-82E2-4A7B-8563-6BC0B9FE753C.jpeg
    625.8 KB · Views: 83
  • CDBEBBB8-C622-4E98-8478-F449E0D18061.jpeg
    CDBEBBB8-C622-4E98-8478-F449E0D18061.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 82
  • D4FF9962-9467-4B7C-85D2-53325CE0427A.jpeg
    D4FF9962-9467-4B7C-85D2-53325CE0427A.jpeg
    823.2 KB · Views: 89

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Just a heads-up. There are compatibility issues between a Doepke Switch, a Gigawatt switch and the rest of the components in your consumer unit.
The best solution is a dedicated Consumer unit for the Doepke and Gigawatt, using Henley blocks to T-off 25mm2 tails directly after your meter.

What are the problems?

Firstly, the cable inlets dont align. Doepke inlet is at the front of the switch and Gigawatt at the rear, so you can‘t use a bus bar for the phase feed.
Then, the inputs are at the top of the Doepke and at the bottom of the Gigawatt, so you need a decent piece of 16mm2 cable to connect the 2 (See diagram below)
Finally, the Gigawatt switch isn’t the same depth as regular circuit breakers, so doesn’t completely fill the switch access cutout in the front cover of the consumer unit.

FYI, here’s pictures of the finished supply, the meter tails and a diagram that I handed to my electrician before he got started

Having said all that, the combination of Doepke and Gigawatt significantly outperforms my previously installed dedicated lines based on a regular RCCB and cut-out switch and German-made Klangmodul (Sound module) fuses. The extra work was well worth it.
Thanks for your comments Blackmorec. My photo doesn’t show a dedicated “hi-fi branch” where’s more than enough space, so I think my electrician will be able to install all new devices as you suggested.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Folks using gigawatt and Doepke. Any chance you can share thoughts on sonic performance. I have a UL panel shop that can make assembly such as the European consumer units. I can use Carling CB, SqD Multi 9. Maybe even Gigawatt. But Carling can make a custom run if I buy enough.

I'm wondering the sonic advantage. What about that Doepke with gold contacts. I don't usually like gold. Its great for corrosion resistance. But it can get bass heavy and color the sound.

Let us know if you got any sonic improvements over the stock breakers in your panel.

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
Folks using gigawatt and Doepke. Any chance you can share thoughts on sonic performance. I have a UL panel shop that can make assembly such as the European consumer units. I can use Carling CB, SqD Multi 9. Maybe even Gigawatt. But Carling can make a custom run if I buy enough.

I'm wondering the sonic advantage. What about that Doepke with gold contacts. I don't usually like gold. Its great for corrosion resistance. But it can get bass heavy and color the sound.

Let us know if you got any sonic improvements over the stock breakers in your panel.
You can buy Gigawatt made for the U.S. All you need is a subpanel with a DIN rail. Not a big deal at all.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You can buy Gigawatt made for the U.S. All you need is a subpanel with a DIN rail. Not a big deal at all.
I still want to know if they sound any better than a plain old QO or Multi 9. Thats what matters.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My point was you do not need to pay Carling for a custom run when they already manufacture the Gigawatt for sale in the U.S. market.
Their spec sheet says built to Ul. I don't know if it's on the breaker. But who cares if they are sonically the same as every other breaker. That is my point. I am looking for performance. I would like to hear peoples impressions of the product.
I am still looking at options. I think I have another route that is promising. But I'm open to whatever configuration works best.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Their spec sheet says built to Ul. I don't know if it's on the breaker. But who cares if they are sonically the same as every other breaker. That is my point. I am looking for performance. I would like to hear peoples impressions of the product.
I am still looking at options. I think I have another route that is promising. But I'm open to whatever configuration works best.
Hi there,
Before I installed the Doepke differential switch and Gigawatt breakers I was using a standard 100A cut-off switch with 2x 30A Klangmodule fuses in a dedicated consumer unit. These were connected via 2x 6M runs of Acrolink P4030II Stressless cable to 2 each Furutech unswitched duplex sockets. I was perfectly happy with the performance of the fuses but sockets without RCCBs no longer meet UK code and I didn’t want anything in the house that could be dangerous to myself of future users.

So how did the new switches change my system’s sound? I would say that the major changes were in:
Frequency extremes
Vibrancy of the music
Colour saturation and density
Pure energy

Bass, which was already very extended thanks to Devialet’s brilliant SAM (Speaker Active Matching) took on a more physical, visceral nature across the entire lower bass spectrum. I can now feel as well as hear the bass, and not only on the loudest, deepest notes. The bass now seems to have an ‘energising’ character which is extremely pleasant and a joy to experience. There’s not a trace of emphasis and the bass is extremely clean and pure with oodles of detail and timbre....even the quietest notes....but the music and the soundstage now has a new foundation that I can still feel even when the amplitude is below the threshold of my hearing. The top end, which again was already beautiful thanks to Magicos incredible tweeters took on additional sparkle and shimmer and above all energy and vibrancy. My hearing is pretty good for my age, but I don't hear a great deal above 12Khz, yet it feels like I’m hearing 18KHz. There’s now a level of energy combined with purity and transparency that is again thrilling to listen to. Well recorded cymbals sound incredibly realistic, natural and exciting. Overall, the music has taken on greater ‘density’ and the music is more ‘solid’ with a greater physical presence. The mental picture of individual musicians weaving musical magic is likewise enhanced.
Am I happy with the new mains set-up? Absolutely! I already had an ‘audiophile’ level installation but the Doepke and Gigawatts increased my level of involvement and enjoyment and added measurably to the joy and thrill of listening.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Few days ago visited a friend . Big system with Gryphon Kodo , Mephisto monoblock & Gryphon Ethos . After listening to a few songs , we asked the owner what he has changed In the syst. All he did was to insert DFS 4 & DFS to his electrical panels & SQ took a quantum leap- a wow moment . Owner exclaimed, “ U have never praised my system before until today “. Definitely will investigate what DFS2 can do to my system .

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Doepke & GigaWatt installed..

5CEEEEF0-57CA-4C2E-B06A-9E6ACB87EB57.jpeg 29ACF634-D0FD-47A3-A56A-84CC00373D1B.jpeg

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Added a Doepke DFS 2 & Gigawatt MCB replacing a cryoed ABL Sursum ELCB & MCB . What an improvement even though it is not run in yet. Is like I just boosted my car performance by adding some super fuel addictive . Syst wise sounded like I upgraded my Vitus Masterpiece Monoblock . Awesome . 1 of the best tweaks I have ever done to my system. I did ground my syst with Frank PE35 Ground loop Emi Filter

Attachments

• 0D6F94D7-99C8-4345-9575-25A1CECF308F.jpeg
    0D6F94D7-99C8-4345-9575-25A1CECF308F.jpeg
    664.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 80DDD924-D44A-43A1-AC0B-28AD43B3835B.jpeg
    80DDD924-D44A-43A1-AC0B-28AD43B3835B.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 59

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Hello Blackmorec
I think that picture 2 its OK.
Best. View attachment 70941
Hi ,
I come back to this subject which interests me a lot and This photo looks great, but can you tell me if the phase is black cable and neutral in blue please? because in France, the phase is black, brown or red) and the neutral is blue! I just have to installed dedicated circuits from the meter with 2-pole Gigawatt breakers and a Deopker Differential!

Thank you Very much !

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
I come back to this subject which interests me a lot and This photo looks great, but can you tell me if the phase is black cable and neutral in blue please? because in France, the phase is black, brown or red) and the neutral is blue!
Yes, the blue cable is neutral in Spain too.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Please bare in mind that these switches are potentially life saving devices and must be installed correctly. In addition the installation itself deals with lethal voltages and currents and really ought to be done by a qualified person.

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Yes, the blue cable is neutral in Spain too.
Thank you very much !
Please bare in mind that these switches are potentially life saving devices and must be installed correctly. In addition the installation itself deals with lethal voltages and currents and really ought to be done by a qualified person.
Yes I am well aware of it ! Thank you very much for caring !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing