Merlot DAC and Syrah Music Server

sidvee

Jan 12, 2014
Hyderabad, India
I am contemplating this DAC. However since I am in India, there is no opportunity to listen to this before I buy. I have heard the MPD5 before and really liked it. Any idea how this would compare - their ad copy says that it has elements of, both the mpd3 and 5.
Cheers,
Sid

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I am contemplating this DAC. However since I am in India, there is no opportunity to listen to this before I buy. I have heard the MPD5 before and really liked it. Any idea how this would compare - their ad copy says that it has elements of, both the mpd3 and 5.
Cheers,
Sid

It's a very impressive DAC. Another interesting option is the ability to add the OpBox interface card that allows you to play CDs, SACDs, DVDs, Blu Ray discs through an Oppo 103 and then record the digital output to DSD or PCM music files. Clever.

http://playbackdesigns.com/#inline_content_MerlotDac
http://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/report-axpona-2016/
http://blog.nativedsd.com/recording-music-analog-tape-lps-dsd/

Last edited:

Metralla

Oct 9, 2016
San Jose, CA
This is definitely something I am interested in.

Oppo Digital BDP-103 ($500) + Playback Designs OpBox optical adapter ($1850) => PlayLink => Playback Designs Merlot DAC ($6500)

Total $8,850

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Cheers,
Sid
Sid - Thought you might be interested in this new Positive Feedback review of the latest Playback Designs Sonoma System. Seems as if the reviewer finds it superior to their previous MPS-5 DAC, concluding that "By now, it should be apparent that Playback Designs and Andreas Koch have once again demonstrated an ability to set a new benchmark in the world of digital audio."

sidvee

Jan 12, 2014
Hyderabad, India
Thanks for all the replies. However after making payment to the Indian distributor, and waiting 2 months I was disappointed to learn that Playback decided to drop their Indian distributor. So as I understand now, there is no PBD dealer in India. Consequently I ordered a Chord Hugo TT, waiting for it to be delivered. I would have loved to have the Merlot but only option is to buy from overseas and that is not at all a smooth experience when one is living in India, due to huge customs hassles, taxes etc.
Cheers,
Sid

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
The PF review suggests the Merlot DAC beats the MPS-5. Have any members compared the two DACS?

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I did have the MPS-5, however I did not get the opportunity to compare them myself - but I asked a dealer I know, who supplies PD gear, if the Merlot was better and he said it was.

I wonder if the comparison by your dealer between the MPS-5 and the Merlot was with the MPS-5 using the older USB-X converter , or with the recently upgraded USB-XIII?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The PF review suggests the Merlot DAC beats the MPS-5. Have any members compared the two DACS?

The new firmware 029 just came out for the MPS-5. I have received the new USB-XIII and should be able to compare the Merlot as well as my Horus.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello Bruce,

I have a MPS-5 with the version I USB-X, so I am quite interested in your comparison. I would also like to know if there is a significant improvement in sound with the USB-XIII or not. I don't need it since I don't use a MAC as server and don't have any DSD files above 1x.
Cheers,

VPN

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Hi VPN,

I just received the USB-XIII and used it to connect both a PB MSP-5 DAC and a Pacific Microsonics DAC to a Sound Galleries Monaco 2015/HQPlayer server in my system.

I haven't done detailed comparisons between the USB-X and USB-XIII, and I don't own or have listened to the Merlot, but I can tell you, without getting into audiophile descriptors, that the USB-XIII raises the MPS5 performance to another higher level.

And the same is true of the Pacific Microsonics DAC. How much of that is due to the USB-XIII, or the SGM or other improvements to my system, I can't say. But frankly, at this point, I'm enjoying the system too much to fiddle with the comparisons. But without question, the USB-XIII is a significant improvement over the USB-X.

Of course YMMV, but the USB-XIII is worth an audition if you have the USB-X.

However, I did speak to Andreas Koch (prior to purchasing the USB-XIII) about how the MPS-5 with the USB-XIII would compare with the Merlot. He remarked that their performance would be very close and the choice would come down to personal preference.

Which leads me to believe that the anecdotal comments about the Merlot being better than the MPS-5 were probably based on the MPS-5 using the USB-X rather than the USB-XIII with DSD4x capability.

Nevertheless, I also still look forward to comparisons of the Merlot and the MPS-5 with the USB-XIII.

Last edited:

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Curious to know whether anyone has compared the MPS-5/MPD-5 with USB-XIII to the Merlot yet?

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
For someone looking to buy this Dac there is very little info given here about the SQ and where the performance of this dac falls in comparison to some of the other HQ dacs on the market today. Seems like there is much feedback on cheaper dacs $1K to 3K then the dacs at this price point have very little feedback but when the price goes over $10K a lot more writing and feedback happens.

Is this an average middle of the Rd Dac or does it somehow run with the high $$$ dacs?

sidvee

Jan 12, 2014
Hyderabad, India
Can the Syrah server be used with other DAC's? The manual and all other references say that it has to be used with the Merlot, so I was wondering.
Cheers,
Sid

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Can the Syrah server be used with other DAC's? The manual and all other references say that it has to be used with the Merlot, so I was wondering.
Cheers,
Sid
Why would you doubt them? The clock link is necessary. There may be work-arounds like the U-DIO8 or other DACs with their own clocklinks.

Reactions: sidvee

sidvee

Jan 12, 2014
Hyderabad, India
Why would you doubt them? The clock link is necessary. There may be work-arounds like the U-DIO8 or other DACs with their own clocklinks.
Reason is there are some good deals to be had on preowned Syrah's so I was wondering if they could be used with other non PBD DAC's. Anyways this clears it up. Thanks.
Cheers,
Sid

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing