METAXAS Tourbillon T-RX

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
your Studer is a 10th (or more) generation of Studer evolution of transport design and build. by 6 or 7 they were pretty good. by 10 they were the best.

Metaxas only has 3 or 4 more generations to figure it out....then another 2 or 3 to perfect it.
And the Studers where built in high quantities with thousand of hours professional workload all over the world, Metaxas will never get that kind of usage to gain experience from. o_O

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
your Studer is a 10th (or more) generation of Studer evolution of transport design and build. by 6 or 7 they were pretty good. by 10 they were the best. same for Ampex.

Metaxas only has 3 or 4 more generations to figure it out....then another 2 or 3 to perfect it. which does not mean it might not be a good quality playback deck. i have read positive things about it.
I had a chance to play a few tracks of Jonathan Horwich's ipi Dee Alexander ( Great sounding vocal jazz btw.) The sound was actually very promising but then the speed control couldn't fight the karma in my place. Let's just say some mechanical abnormalities. What you said above is wisdom.

I also forgot to say the machine could not do NAB.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
The Papillon apparently cost 45K Euro for a basic playback only 1/4" machine, all the way to 75K for a 1" full function machine. It can accommodate up to 15" reels. With the most up to date microprocessor controlling all the mechanical functions, I wonder how much better it is as compared to the last generation of the Ampexes, Studers, Nagras etc. I am actually surprised by the price. The Nagra T-Audio cost 23K GBP in 1983. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, this is equal to 82.5K GBP today. I think the other studio machines of that era would cost similar amounts of money. However, Metaxas will only be selling 10 of the Papillons, after spending all this time and energy developing it. I wonder if he will build more if there is demand for it.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The Papillon apparently cost 45K Euro for a basic playback only 1/4" machine, all the way to 75K for a 1" full function machine. It can accommodate up to 15" reels. With the most up to date microprocessor controlling all the mechanical functions, I wonder how much better it is as compared to the last generation of the Ampexes, Studers, Nagras etc. I am actually surprised by the price. The Nagra T-Audio cost 23K GBP in 1983. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, this is equal to 82.5K GBP today. I think the other studio machines of that era would cost similar amounts of money. However, Metaxas will only be selling 10 of the Papillons, after spending all this time and energy developing it. I wonder if he will build more if there is demand for it.

Yes I have to agree the the 15” transport only Papillon seems very good value for 45k euros. If I owned a Doshi, Merill Trident or King Cello and I was in this league, I would seriously consider one.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The biggest compliment of any reviewers is to buy the reviewed component himself.
But for JV, at what price? :p

IMG_20220313_084554.jpg

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
The only concern I have is, how long will the company be around ? Will there be spare parts and expertise to maintain the machines ? There is plenty of support for studio machines such as Studer, but I am not so sure about these machines. While they look beautiful, how reliable are they ? We know machines such as Studer A80, Nagra TA, Telefunken M15 etc. are indestructible.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The beauty of old school studio machines, such as the A80, ATR-100, M15A or JH-110 is in their large table top surfaces, which I always find very convenient and valuable.

"Hey, Joe, where did you put my splicing block???" :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
The beauty of old school studio machines, such as the A80, ATR-100, M15A or JH-110 is in their large table top surfaces, which I always find very convenient and valuable.

"Hey, Joe, where did you put my splicing block???" :)
true worktools IMO

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Agreed. And pricing is now basically double, just 2 years later. Is this another case of the distributor/dealer adding their margin? If so, I would rather buy direct and not pay double!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Wanted to see what’s new here… I read the very positive review in TAS. But I also read the not so positive feedback from [] here… any updates?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
There was one in the darTZeel/Stenheim/CSPort room at the 2023 Munich show but there was some bad karma with the unit and it could not be used.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Yes. And one of the guys who was taking care of the demo owns a Studer A80 VU. His feedback about the unit was everything but positive.

I myself own a fully overhauled and upgraded Studer A80 RC MK II and a Nagra IVS with a QGB module. The tech who is looking after my tape decks was unimpressed by the Metaxas.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
and the A80VU is not considered to have very good sounding audio cards as opposed to the A80R and RC
I have 2 x A80RC/Nextgen and they´re staying....

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes. And one of the guys who was taking care of the demo owns a Studer A80 VU. His feedback about the unit was everything but positive.

I myself own a fully overhauled and upgraded Studer A80 RC MK II and a Nagra IVS with a QGB module. The tech who is looking after my tape decks was unimpressed by the Metaxas.
Interesting; but I will take the TAS review as “gospel” for now.

I’m starting to feel like what’s happening here is the owners of the ‘vintage’ machines are defending what they own, and new machines are just being bashed and held to an unreasonably/unfair standard. Maybe I‘m wrong, but I am seeing a pattern emerging, as it’s similar comments about Ballfiger, and Analog Audio‘s TP-1000.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
naturally there are more experiences from owners of vintage machines
it´s plain statistics
BUT it´s not very surprising that a EUR 20K machine might be nuked by a machine from late 70s that would cost 80-100K to make today

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing