Michael Fremer's home power-system story

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Please read his articles - he solved the problem for reviews using power regenerators. It is all explained in the Stereophile review of the PSAudio Power Plant 20 https://www.stereophile.com/content...stream-power-plant-20-thixar-amplifier-stands

It would be great if people researched a little before strating sending the missiles on reviewers.
I had the Power Plant 20, and found them lacking in so many ways. They also did nothing if not worsen my EMI noise. I preferred the dirty power :( This has been my experience; perhaps my power was in a better shape than MF, YMMV

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Please read his articles - he solved the problem for reviews using power regenerators. It is all explained in the Stereophile review of the PSAudio Power Plant 20 https://www.stereophile.com/content...stream-power-plant-20-thixar-amplifier-stands

It would be great if people researched a little before strating sending the missiles on reviewers.

It does not seem as though he solved the problem if he had to do a whole new installation. I assume he no longer needs the PS power plant.

I have no doubt that this was a worthwhile endeavor for the sound of his system.

Last edited:
Reactions: K3RMIT and rando

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
"The electrical service in my house has been problematic since I moved in 22 years ago. I’ve had ground hum issues, amplifiers that mysteriously buzz here but not elsewhere and general noise on the line problems too."

My question is why couldn't Michael find people near him to do the job....

My question is why did it take him 22 years ?

Edit: the video was interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and Lagonda

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have been saying it in WBF since long, we can get the spectra of our mains for free using a Windows computer, an USB soundcard and the demo version of Spectraplus. All we need is a toroidal power transformer, some wire and a plug. Surely the Fluke is more convenient and persuasive ...

Fransisco Would you please write this up, step by step, so we can all benefit. Thank you.

Reactions: wil

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also have the same questions. How valid are his reviews if all start from bad electricity?

Extremely valid. Just try out the components and check attributes. Not just the final recommendation but actual attributes. They tally well. Not like Roy Gregory who throws darts at words and constructs sentences.

He said he had problems 22 years ago, then he uses some regenerators and stuff. You think that will change how cart A compares to cart B as opposed to doing that compare plugged straight from the wall?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I also have the same questions. How valid are his reviews if all start from bad electricity?

I don't think the question makes any sense. As long as the "bad" electricity is held constant the reviews are valid.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

At best regenerators are a bandaid and they also have very strong coloration, it takes Very little effort to have a baseline functioning mains free of hum and buzz. This is the least any audiophile should do no less a "professional"!

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
There’s also the question of inaccurate VTA/SRA while conducting reviews!

david
But he uses a microscope !:rolleyes:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My system sounds best with my airco at 23 ° and my fridge running at -10 °, and when only the living room lights are on
In the winter when i dont use the airco and fridge , i have to use ODIN mk 2 cable as a bit of compensation .
For real dynamics i turn of the fridge / airco completely :).

All jokes aside from a reviewer his stature you might expect to have an up to date modern electrical system .

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Fremer has moments on camera where he is a real treasure.

"So we were drilling into the gas line with the last one. Now we're going to try something else."

I laughed, but that is something I hope he had checked out pronto. Can you imagine the sight if a gas line feeding into his basement blew.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
"The electrical service in my house has been problematic since I moved in 22 years ago. I’ve had ground hum issues, amplifiers that mysteriously buzz here but not elsewhere and general noise on the line problems too."

My question is why did it take him 22 years ?

Edit: the video was interesting to watch.

I think that many audiophiles procrastinate when it comes to spending money on their electricity. It is somehow intangible in that you can't sit and look at it like a new power amp, you also can't sell it, trade it in, or take it with you when you move house.

Once you have done it, it is an obvious upgrade, but until then ....

I think the issue of listening rooms is similar. How many people have Hi End systems in poor sounding rooms?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
No, you’re hearing the bad mains not the equipment. It really is a very big deal.
david

Isn't this just part of the audiophile journey. I mean we are always looking for the next step to bring us closer to our nirvana. For most that is buying a new pair of speakers, or that new power amp, or new cables. I bet many audiophiles never get round to optimising the mains. If you live in an apartment you may not have many options, and there is always the question of how far you go - do you get the power company to upgrade the transformer, do you install 3 phase power, maybe start your own power company :) .

I suspect that we all don't realise some of the things that are holding us back until we have fixed them.

Reactions: Ultrafast69

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fransisco Would you please write this up, step by step, so we can all benefit. Thank you.
I am preparing a post on it - some care is realy needed on it, as mains can kill! The Fluke meter does not have such problem. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
At best regenerators are a bandaid and they also have very strong coloration, it takes Very little effort to have a baseline functioning mains free of hum and buzz. This is the least any audiophile should do no less a "professional"!

david

Your opinion, many we know about in audiophile circles will disagree on it.

Even our member Steve Williams uses solar energy in his Lamm ML3 and LL1 system with great success - solar electricity is just a regenerator converting DC to AC. Renewable electricity injects electricity coming from regenerators in the mains - and there is a good probably that our neighbors have cheap noisy inverters! As we are moving to a inverter based grid system should we expect that soon people will find that their systems sound poor in sunny days and in California? :)

Saying something loud and using metaphors does not make it a fact. I am fortunate to live less than 100 meters away from a substation, I do not need a power regenerator. But when I owned a PsAudio P10 I did not find any coloration associated to it.

The influence of mains "quality" in stereo sound quality was never systematically studied and openly debated with proper data. At best we share experiences, nothing else.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Your opinion, many we know about in audiophile circles will disagree on it.

Even our member Steve Williams uses solar energy in his Lamm ML3 and LL1 system with great success - solar electricity is just a regenerator converting DC to AC. Renewable electricity injects electricity coming from regenerators in the mains - and there is a good probably that our neighbors have cheap noisy inverters! As we are moving to a inverter based grid system should we expect that soon people will find that their systems sound poor in sunny days and in California? :)

Saying something loud and using metaphors does not make it a fact. I am fortunate to live less than 100 meters away from a substation, I do not need a power regenerator. But when I owned a PsAudio P10 I did not find any coloration associated to it.

The influence of mains "quality" in stereo sound quality was never systematically studied and openly debated with proper data. At best we share experiences, nothing else.

Fransisco, on what basis do you conclude that Steve’s solar power delivery to his system is a “great success”? Do you mean sonically or in terms of saving money or because it is green? A success how? Have you heard his system, and even if you have, how can you isolate the contribution of the solar power to the sound of his system.

Reactions: K3RMIT

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fransisco, on what basis do you conclude that Steve’s solar power delivery to his system is a “great success”? Do you mean sonically or in terms of saving money or because it is green? A success how? Have you heard his system, and even if you have, how can you isolate the contribution of the solar power to the sound of his system.

I have read his enthusiastic posts on the subject in several threads, he kindly addressed my questions on it. Many people I respect, including David, have reported on how his system sounds in WBF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing