Miles Davis Kind of Blue meets Analogue Productions' UHQR

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'm a little miffed that this was a 33 pressing. I bought it as soon as it was announced thinking it was 45RPM - like all the other UHQRs.

Obviously I should have read closer but I would much prefer 45 RPM so I guess I'm buying this again in the future. Fool me once...

You can always double your money by putting it for sale on discogs :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I acquired for JeffreyT Michael Hobson's other safety copy of Kind of Blue. I think it would be very interesting to compare the winner of the vinyl reissue contest to that tape.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Seems my order will be a couple more months before shipping. AP has run into some issues with the first 6,000 pressed.....I'm in no rush, I can wait for any problems to be corrected before my order ships.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Miles Davis suffered a lot from police harassment and was even brutally beaten once by a cop in New York. Amazing he endured that and was still one of the greatest composers and musicians of the 20th century.
I gather he was beaten near a lit marquis sign with his name on it by a performance hall. Apparently, he pointed to his name on the sign (sassed?) but the cop didn't care.

I have been happy with my crappy old 20 bit Sony version of KOB, in which I can hear capstan flutter on some portions, because it sounds like it was performed in a smokey old nightclub and not a lab.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Seems my order will be a couple more months before shipping. AP has run into some issues with the first 6,000 pressed.....I'm in no rush, I can wait for any problems to be corrected before my order ships.
Thanks for that information.
I was wondering why my copy has not yet shipped.
As you say there is no hurry-get it right.

Reactions: Catcher10

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015

Yes, I've been waiting to hear about my order as well. That's discouraging about issues with the first pressings, did someone from analog productions tell you that or is it hearsay?

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Yes, I've been waiting to hear about my order as well. That's discouraging about issues with the first pressings, did someone from analog productions tell you that or is it hearsay?
I’m curious about this because there was no issue with mine.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

On a danish site, a user said that on his copy, the gatefold had split. Could be something like that.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
thank you for your feedback. my mind is open.

what i'm going to listen for is flow, energy and presence. which pressing gets closest to real music? sweeps me off my feet? best suspension of disbelief?

my 4 disc Classic KOB pressings have been standard setters in those areas for me.

we will see.
Curious to know your thoughts Mike.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yeah, someone play their copy already and give us their thoughts or I'll have to do it. :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is what I posted on a different forum when I compared the UHQR to the Classic 45:

Last night I listened to the first 3 songs on the album on both the UHQR and the Classic 45. Obviously on the 45 I had to change records once.

I found the Classic 45 to be a little quieter vinyl-noise-wise and I found there to be a little more separation in between the instruments. Overall, I slightly preferred the 45. However, I am not sure which version I would keep if I had to only keep one since the presentation of the 33 is better given everything is on 2 sides.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thank you!

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I received my copy a week ago and finally had a chance to listen to it. I find it hard to believe this is an LP, the sound is amazing. There is so much more open space, deeper and accurate bass, and a bigger sound stage than other copies of KOB I've heard. I think this UHQR release is an engineering feat, the packaging is first rate and its definitely a landmark release for KOB. Very much worth owning.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
It's been well documented on the SHoffman site, many members report very noisy surface with pops and clicks here and there, some warping also. The problem is Chad at AP is touting this Clarity Vinyl as super quiet, the best pressing. There is a 280 page thread on it.......My suspicion is that there is a good portion of the first run that had some issues, bad QC and some mishandling. Members there posting their order# and box numbers. Seems you have to clean it several times and some of the issues get better.

I am sure Chad is all over it now and making sure the next batch is, well pristine.....Like I said I'm in no rush, I'm looking forward to owning a well presented package. One positive on the box is some report there is enough room to store other copies of KoB in it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting. Mine is pretty quiet.

Reactions: timztunz

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
Interesting. Mine is pretty quiet.
My copy is s/n 00111. I put it in the KL ultrasonic cleaner as soon as I opened it. So my copy was cleared before first playing. It is flat and very quiet.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this pressing captures more of the venue/studio than my other copies- including the Classic 45 4 record set.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
It's been well documented on the SHoffman site, many members report very noisy surface with pops and clicks here and there, some warping also. The problem is Chad at AP is touting this Clarity Vinyl as super quiet, the best pressing. There is a 280 page thread on it.......My suspicion is that there is a good portion of the first run that had some issues, bad QC and some mishandling. Members there posting their order# and box numbers. Seems you have to clean it several times and some of the issues get better.

I am sure Chad is all over it now and making sure the next batch is, well pristine.....Like I said I'm in no rush, I'm looking forward to owning a well presented package. One positive on the box is some report there is enough room to store other copies of KoB in it.
I cleaned mine before playing it, so maybe that helped. I also have a safety copy / copy (3rd gen) of KOB and comparing the UHQR LP to the tape its pretty close. I would say the UHQR LP has more presence, more ambience of the recording venue. The bass on the tape which has an IEC eq isn't as good as the UHQR LP.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I cleaned mine before playing it, so maybe that helped. I also have a safety copy / copy (3rd gen) of KOB and comparing the UHQR LP to the tape its pretty close. I would say the UHQR LP has more presence, more ambience of the recording venue. The bass on the tape which has an IEC eq isn't as good as the UHQR LP.
This is good info thanks for that! I clean all my records before playing on a vacuum machine, I don't believe that records arrive with nothing in the grooves. These pressing plants are not surgical clean rooms, there is stuff probably flying all over the place. My other copy is the Columbia Legacy issue which is mastered by Kevin Gray at Coherent Audio and pressed by MPO, Paul Chambers bass sounds fantastic on this release. I'm really hoping the UHQR gives me more presence and resolution as you mention.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
My UHQR version has finally shipped, left KS today....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing