Miyajima Labs 1.0 mil Infinity Mono

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
we will see. unlikely that either Etsuro Gold will end up on the NVS. but i promise to do that if you visit me again......just for you.:p

OTOH Mik is ready to ship me a new 'super-uber' long anticipated LFD phono cable, and with that shipment he will include another head shell for my CS Port linear tracker. and when i get that likely i will try one or both Infinity's there too.
Mike, my Nat dealer has a long relationship with LFD and the owner/designer. He absolutely rates it/him. Why have you gone this route?

Reactions: 108CY

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But the etsuro will reach the Dartzeel?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
But the etsuro will reach the Dartzeel?

the Tosca phono cable on the Saskia does reach the dart phono, and i have used it there, but not since i acquired the 2nd Etsuro Gold. only back when i had the Ortofon Anna Diamond mounted on the Tosca.

so yes, trying the Etsuro Gold on the dart phono is an option i can try. maybe for another time and thread.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, my dealer supports the line. Says the designer is a genius.

What did you think I was trying to say? I'm only interested as to how you came across a brand that is pretty invisible in the marketplace.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, my dealer supports the line. Says the designer is a genius.

What did you think I was trying to say? I'm only interested as to how you came across a brand that is pretty invisible in the marketplace.

'rates it' must be a UK phrase i'm not familiar with. so let's forget my comment and move forward. nice to hear your dealer likes it. Mik agrees Richard Bews is a genius......and that he is not much of a businessman, so his products are way under the radar.....unless you have heard them.

as far as why i'm going with LFD it comes down to Mik and 9 months of talking to him about the significance of the phono cable. he has every top level cable there on hand and feels that the top rank custom built LFD takes things to a much higher level. so i've made a significant investment in attaining the same set-up for the CS Port Mik has there in his room. and this cable is an important part.

in for dime, in for dollar......and all that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Mike. Obviously some words mean the opposite. Not sure I rate that concept Lol.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
my conclusions;

---1.0mil is superior on older wide groove pressings. only equal to the best (in my experience) stereo cartridge on new 'stereo cut' mono pressings.
---0.7mil is superior to both the 1.0mil Infinity and the Etsuro Gold on new 'stereo cut' mono pressings, but not equal to the 1.0mil on older pressings.
---my Etsuro Gold is equal to the 1.0mil on new 'stereo cut' mono pressings, but falls clearly short to the 0.7mil on newer 'stereo cut' mono pressings...
Sounds like you are having a huge helping of fun!
Setting 1.0mil early mono aside for the moment, your findings vis a vis the .7 Miyajima vs the Etsuro are very interesting.
Academically the advantages of a modern stylus profile also translate to a modern mono 'stereo cutter head'* groove.

*we tend to refer to these as stereo cutterhead mono vs true mono...however the larger factor is the size/shape of the cutting stylii since the stereo cutterhead will not cut any vertical with a mono signal save any unwanted vertical bounce due to mechanical issues...

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Hi Mike,

I recall trying a Miyajima Premium BE mono cartridge with “stereo cut” mono reissues.
It did not sound good, and distorted on tracks that my stereo cartridge had no issues whatsoever.
Miyajima mono cartridges are true mono, meaning they have no vertical compliance, as opposed to modern mono cartridges which only change the internal wiring to a single channel.
Make sure you do not damage your modern reissues with the Miyajima cartridge.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Hi Mike,

I recall trying a Miyajima Premium BE mono cartridge with “stereo cut” mono reissues.
It did not sound good, and distorted on tracks that my stereo cartridge had no issues whatsoever.
Miyajima mono cartridges are true mono, meaning they have no vertical compliance, as opposed to modern mono cartridges which only change the internal wiring to a single channel.
Similar to my experience with the same cartridge. See my post #6 in the thread
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...cartridge-on-mono-reissues.22938/#post-446308

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

Similar to my experience with the same cartridge. See my post #6 in the thread
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...cartridge-on-mono-reissues.22938/#post-446308

thanks guys, for the feedback.

over the last 7-8 years i've played quite a few "stereo cutter head" groove mono pressings with the Miyajima Premium Be 1.0mil stylus and never experienced that situation, as well as heard the same cartridge at jazdoc's and had the same experience. OTOH i would never play a stereo pressing with it. that is clearly cautioned to avoid.

i'll not speculate why you guys experience has been different than mine and jazdoc's.

i respect your feedback and will watch for that more closely, and report back if i hear something like that. but obviously there is lots of information over many years that using a 1.0mil stylus on a stereo cutter head mono pressing is not harmful. right now i don't intend to play the modern pressings with my 1.0mil stylus Infinity in any case. no need.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I own a Miyajima Labs Zero mono cartridge and have never had any issues with new mono pressings cut with stereo cutter heads. There are definitely times I prefer it to my stereo Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. It is definitely quieter for some LPs.

Reactions: timztunz

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area

over the last 7-8 years i've played quite a few "stereo cutter head" groove mono pressings with the Miyajima Premium Be 1.0mil stylus and never experienced that situation, as well as heard the same cartridge at jazdoc's and had the same experience. OTOH i would never play a stereo pressing with it. that is clearly cautioned to avoid.

i'll not speculate why you guys experience has been different than mine and jazdoc's.

i respect your feedback and will watch for that more closely, and report back if i hear something like that. but obviously there is lots of information over many years that using a 1.0mil stylus on a stereo cutter head mono pressing is not harmful. right now i don't intend to play the modern pressings with my 1.0mil stylus Infinity in any case. no need.

Here’s the most egregious example I can think of right now where I had a problem with my Premium Mono Be. Plucked bass notes were garbled and very distorted. My stereo cartridge had no issue. This particular title was a reissue from Pure Pleasure Records.
747D437E-4EF1-4E79-84EA-9FAE075EE53F.jpeg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Here’s the most egregious example I can think of right now where I had a problem with my Premium Mono Be. Plucked bass notes were garbled and very distorted. My stereo cartridge had no issue. This particular title was a reissue from Pure Pleasure Records.
View attachment 68122

not sure if i have this one, will check tonight.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Mike. On big pieces, what level of your room effect is being captured by the recording? Is that effortlessness and lack of room boundary being captured? And while you don't have to post it, your system was very sensitive to sweet spot vs non - sweet spot, I wonder if your recording is similarly sensitive.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike. On big pieces, what level of your room effect is being captured by the recording? Is that effortlessness and lack of room boundary being captured? And while you don't have to post it, your system was very sensitive to sweet spot vs non - sweet spot, I wonder if your recording is similarly sensitive.

no idea about any of that. on a mono it's very simple. i have not even tried anything else. i'm getting a big tonally rich sound, and a holographic sort of presentation. obviously between the speakers but not narrow on these old pressings. baby steps as far as how to hold my phone and such basics. just did this to learn a little and go through the process once.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
i'm getting a big tonally rich sound, and a holographic sort of presentation.

The above is exactly what I hear from the video. In real should be so very palpable.

Sir. I once heard a video of someone taken in your room. You were playing KOB. It was for may be 3-4 seconds of the beginning of song. The bass I heard was really something, very physical and it attracted me since. The guy who was holding the handphone was not even in the listening position. Call me crazy. No brown nosing either.

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The above is exactly what I hear from the video. In real should be so very palpable.

Sir. I once heard a video of someone taken in your room. You were playing KOB. It was for may be 3-4 seconds of the beginning of song. The bass I heard was really something, very physical and it attracted me since. The guy who was holding the handphone was not even in the listening position. Call me crazy. No brown nosing either.

Tang

thank you Tang. i do enjoy the bass in my room. seems about right to me.

now that i've done it once, i suppose i have no excuse not to take more videos.:eek:

108CY

May 4, 2013
Mike, my Nat dealer has a long relationship with LFD and the owner/designer. He absolutely rates it/him. Why have you gone this route?

Richard is a total reclusive genius combines mint elements of his mentors Professor Omar Hawksford and be Yammamura and of course his own.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing