Miyajima Labs 1.0 mil Infinity Mono

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
so today, after earlier some exceedingly lovely Sunday morning classical on the CS Port LFT1/Etsuro Gold as is my habit, i've decided it's time to bring out the Beatles Mono Box set and have myself a mono afternoon before the Super Bowl. i bought this set 5-6 years ago when it came out, but never listened more than briefly to it. it was $300 or so back then. looked briefly at ebay and discog......now they seem to sell for over $1000 up to $1500. glad i got mine.

i figured at some future time it would be right to really discover it. and today is the day to get going.

i know this box set was celebrated to be cut with the analog masters. but was wondering if the lacquers were cut with deep groove mono cutter heads or stereo cutter heads. i could not find any info, so assume the stereo cutter heads. in any case, i spent 45 minutes to sample 3 pressings on both the Miyajima Infinity Mono 1.0 mil and 0.7 mil cartridges, and it seems clear it's the stereo cutter heads. it sounds fine on both, but the soundstage and information comes more alive on the 0.7 mil. so just confirming what i assumed to begin with. be assured, if you only have the 1.0 mil, these are still great sounding pressings, but the 0.7 mil is best.

these are lively records. full disclosure; i'm a Beatles fanboy. unabashed. it's so hard to get past my personal fundamental connection to the time and the music, i was 14 years old in 1965. this is my music. but objectively this music is very direct and even a bit raw in places; yet sophisticated and remarkable. very immediate and dynamic. and the mono versions are really mainlining an era. delightful. honest. it connects with your soul. i have stereo tapes of 5 main Beatles albums, and a few original pressings, including a few mono originals. but these monos get right to the best you can hear them. i can hear way into the mixes.

so far listened to Rubber Soul, Revolver and right now Sgt. Peppers. "A Day In The Life" at the moment.

if you need a pick me up......highly recommended.

Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Love them too Mike. And this is a great box set.

I once had in play a Linn Sondek LP12 that I purchased new back in about 1982 and it was a phenomenal insight into my record collection for years.

Well, one day I took my tt into the local dealer for one of the many upgrades and after discussing the time and expense with them, I said let’s go ahead. But to my surprise one of the snarky young sales fellows remarked “updating your tt? So you can listen to those Beatles records again?” I responded “well yes, most certainly, AND for the several other thousand records I love exploring as well” geez! Ah?

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

my2sons

Jan 18, 2014
Maryland
i do not have a dedicated mono step up. i'm already using both my MM inputs on my CS Port phono for my 2 EMIA stereo SUT's for my 2 Etsuro Gold stereo cartridges.

my (2) EMIA 1:10 Stereo SUT's will each work well with either of my Infinity mono's should i want to do it that way. and the cables will reach. right now i use one of my dart phono's for the 1.0 and the MC input on the CS Port for the 0.7.

Infinity 1.0 mil -> darTZeel phono with an active gain stage.
Infinity 0.7 mil -> CS Port MC input (63db of gain) which is an internal SUT.

i have no plans to buy another SUT mono only. but who knows if i heard one that knocked my socks off i'd probably have to do it. it would have to be very fine to surpass the EMIA silver's.
Mike, what load setting do you like for the
Infinity 0.7 mil -> CS Port MC input (63db of gain) which is an internal SUT.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
so today, after earlier some exceedingly lovely Sunday morning classical on the CS Port LFT1/Etsuro Gold as is my habit, i've decided it's time to bring out the Beatles Mono Box set and have myself a mono afternoon before the Super Bowl. i bought this set 5-6 years ago when it came out, but never listened more than briefly to it. it was $300 or so back then. looked briefly at ebay and discog......now they seem to sell for over $1000 up to $1500. glad i got mine.

i figured at some future time it would be right to really discover it. and today is the day to get going.

i know this box set was celebrated to be cut with the analog masters. but was wondering if the lacquers were cut with deep groove mono cutter heads or stereo cutter heads. i could not find any info, so assume the stereo cutter heads. in any case, i spent 45 minutes to sample 3 pressings on both the Miyajima Infinity Mono 1.0 mil and 0.7 mil cartridges, and it seems clear it's the stereo cutter heads. it sounds fine on both, but the soundstage and information comes more alive on the 0.7 mil. so just confirming what i assumed to begin with. be assured, if you only have the 1.0 mil, these are still great sounding pressings, but the 0.7 mil is best.

these are lively records. full disclosure; i'm a Beatles fanboy. unabashed. it's so hard to get past my personal fundamental connection to the time and the music, i was 14 years old in 1965. this is my music. but objectively this music is very direct and even a bit raw in places; yet sophisticated and remarkable. very immediate and dynamic. and the mono versions are really mainlining an era. delightful. honest. it connects with your soul. i have stereo tapes of 5 main Beatles albums, and a few original pressings, including a few mono originals. but these monos get right to the best you can hear them. i can hear way into the mixes.

so far listened to Rubber Soul, Revolver and right now Sgt. Peppers. "A Day In The Life" at the moment.

if you need a pick me up......highly recommended.
Great info Mike... like you I am a huge Beatles fan. I haven’t made the plunge to buy a mono cartridge yet but I’m very happy to know these records will sound good when I do. I’m a bit amazed to hear that the mono box is so expensive now. I’m super glad I got one when they came out. I have always been a bit torn between my first pressing Parlophone’s and these reissues... any thoughts listening through your Miyajima to which version you prefer?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Great info Mike... like you I am a huge Beatles fan. I haven’t made the plunge to buy a mono cartridge yet but I’m very happy to know these records will sound good when I do. I’m a bit amazed to hear that the mono box is so expensive now. I’m super glad I got one when they came out. I have always been a bit torn between my first pressing Parlophone’s and these reissues... any thoughts listening through your Miyajima to which version you prefer?

yesterday i did not pull out my Original Pressing Parlophone's. i do recall when i got the set i briefly investigated this and slightly preferred the reissues. but back then i did not have these Infinity's and my Miyajima Premium Be mono was a 1.0 mil which would logically favor the original deep groove versions. which seems to indicate maybe a more decisive advantage to the reissues now.

tonight maybe i will re-visit that question.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I’ll be interested to hear your impressions on the Mono Box set compared to the Parlophone cuts Mike. Do you have the yellow/black label (tube cut) YEX- or the black/black labels, or...?

I have a lot of various Beatles recordings save the domestic Capitol Records, though most of us grew up listening to these, once we heard the one-two punch of the original Parlophones there was simply no going back.

Though I possess a very limited number of good condition UK Parlophone mono recordings to compare, a few, some first issue Odeon red mono 1982(?), not that impressed, the UK blue BC13 box stereo, very, very nice (no red box mono unfortunately), the Mofi box, Sgt. Pepper UHQR, one or two DMM (including Abbey Road I believe), and the full set of 2004 Toshiba-EMI Parophones DSD/PCM? transfers (around the time that the RSs were transferred to SACD).

And out of all of these I really like the modern Mono Box in totality. I believe it all gets back to the earliest pressings with these guys on mono are the best, though you simply can’t beat the value of this modern box for delivering the goods on very nice pressings. As it’s truly difficult, perhaps close to impossible to acquire a full set of (clean) Parlophones. I only know two friends with the lot of them pristine.

So many pressings, so little time...

Vinylshadow

Feb 12, 2021
before i answer i want to be clear that this hassle is worth it.

Miyajima has a different mounting approach than any other cartridge i have used. on the three Miyajima's i've owned they use a long screw with a philips head (from the top) all the way through the body of the cartridge with a small nut on the bottom for tightening. i can understand the benefit of this design; you eliminate the issues (and expense) of tapping some part of the cartridge body to accept a screw thread. and assuming you can access the nut properly, you can tighten it effectively.

there is a fundamental 'gotcha' to this process. since the stylus is on the bottom of the cartridge, and the cartridge protector case covers the screw holes where the nuts should be tightened, you are doing a high wire act trying to tighten these nuts without harming the stylus since the guard cannot be attached.

On the Infinity, this is further complicated by the fact that the surface of the bottom of the cartridge has recesses for those nuts. and these recesses makes it near impossible to get any sort of wrench or pliers on it. so you end up trying to grab it with your fingers, or (as Robin suggested as he laughed his evil laugh) you hold a small flat head screwdriver wedged into the space to leverage against by holding it up close to your body, then try to get the philips head screwdriver onto the top screw head, all the while not harming the stylus. this is exactly when i had violent thoughts about Mr. Miyayima.......is he nuts? Robin's other thought was to use a compression nut that digs into the wood.

as the coup de' gras with my Telos and Kairos with composite arm wands, the cartridge mounting shank is too thick for the provided screws to work. there is a really long one that sticks out below about 1/3rd of an inch, below the level of the stylus.:eek: how do i source exactly the right length of these tiny screws to make sure they are the perfect length considering the consequences?

the Infinity 1.0 mil is mounted on my Durand Telos with a wood arm wand that uses a metal cartridge plate and the screws provided are the right length. so i was able to eventually get it mounted and tightened. the first time i played it it came loose. i had not tightened it enough. but now that seems to be ok. after much more drama than i've ever had before mounting a cartridge.

with the Infinity 0.7 mil i was stuck; then i realized i could use the screws from below and have them stick up above the top of the cartridge and have the nuts on the top. but again; i could not access the recesses in my headshell with any sort of socket or pliers to tighten it. and then how can i make fine adjustments to the set-up with a nut on top?

my solution was that i have a set of 50 Wiha small tools that just happen to include a deep socket 4mm driver. this tool seems to be the savior of the situation. as it can fit into the recesses to tighten the nut. and so far i'm ok. it does not look like i can use that driver to tighten up the nuts for my other Infinity 1.0 mil as there does not appear to be enough space, but i've not yet tried that. if that does work then absolutely that tool is essential to own an Infinity.

https://www.wihatools.com/precision-esd-safe-nut-driver-4-0mm

we still have to use the philips head on the bottom of the cartridge without the stylus guard to mount the cartridge while holding the 4mm socket with the other hand. but it can work.

and it's not ideal making small alignment adjustments with the nuts on top instead of the philips screw head. i had to turn the arm wand over a couple of times to loosen and move the cartridge to get it right. but a little hassle with that by that point was no big deal. how often will i touch it?

View attachment 69047 View attachment 69048 View attachment 69046
Hi.
I just bought a new turntable(Vertere MG-1 using a Benz LP-S) which will be my stereo t.t..

I will use my Basis Audio 2001 t.t. for mono LP's which I've been buying up a bunch in anticipation of hooking it up.... Unfortunately, it has a Basis modified Rega RB900 tonearm and hard wired KLOTZ tonearm cable so I can't upgrade it. Either actually.

I've been told by my Vertere dealer that the RB900 is a good arm. Not elite, but good...I have no idea about the KLOTZ cable. Printed on the cable it says "high quality low impedance audio cable". Impedance might be 67 uF....

I have a NIB Ortofon MC Quintet Mono but I will sell it. I've been corresponding with Hugo of Ammonite audio in the UK about the Miyajima Mono S.U.T. and a Miyajima mono cartridge. I just noticed on his website that he doesn't sell to U.S./Florida if there is a dealer so I guess I will soon speak to Robin Wyatt.

I was leaning towards the Zero 0.7 but now am considering the Infinity. My system is very good. Very revealing.
But, could my good, but not great, tonearm and tonearm cable be a limiter in going to the level of the Infinity? i.e. they won't transmit the full excellence of the Infinity?

Also, I did manage to re-install my Benz Wood M2 on my Rega tonearm after it was serviced by Steve at VAS..... It was my first install and I was nervous, using the Rega paper protractor.... It took me like an hour but I left the VTA as it was set by my original installer.

Mike, your description of the difficulty you had installing the Infinity sent chills down my spine. I don't see how I could even attempt installation. I'd be so worried of damaging the stylus! Also, I wonder if the VTA would have to be changed with those spindle hole arm shims with a Miyajima..

Or maybe the answer is to find a local audio store and let them install it. There aren't any Miyajima dealers in S. Fl so I'll have to look around.

Thanks.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I've been told by my Vertere dealer that the RB900 is a good arm. Not elite, but good...I have no idea about the KLOTZ cable. .
Could do worse than Klotz, they make cable for the pro audio market (as does Mogami etc.)

As for the RB900 - yes a decent arm but a caveat comes to mind- effective mass on the light side of 'medium'. Might not be optimal...

Also, while not as big a deal with conical styli the lack of vta is also a bummer ( unless mods include such an adjuster)

Vinylshadow

Feb 12, 2021
Could do worse than Klotz, they make cable for the pro audio market (as does Mogami etc.)

As for the RB900 - yes a decent arm but a caveat comes to mind- effective mass on the light side of 'medium'. Might not be optimal...

Also, while not as big a deal with conical styli the lack of vta is also a bummer ( unless mods include such an adjuster)
Thank you. I feel a little better about the KLOTZ. I visited their website. They are German so that is a good sign. And they seem to mass produce cables so the cable is likely middle of the pack.

I was advised, and was sent, shims for my Benz Wood M2 as Benz cartridges prefer a medium to heavy tonearm. So when I re-installed the serviced Benz, I installed a shim on top. So, I have 3 shims of 2.5g, 6g and 12.5 grams. The 2.5g is currently on the Benz, which itself weighs 9g.... I think shim placement may have slightly changed the VTA as my tonearm is not quite parallel to the t.t. chassis. I realized it at the 7 hours of play mark and stopped using the turntable as my Vertere is almost ready to be installed.

If I were to use one of the shims on top of the Zero or Infinity, would that be effective to make it work?

Then I need to find out which of the 3 shims to use.....

While the RB900 does not have a VTA micrometer, it does have VTA adjustment with shims. It currently has a shim above the spindle hole.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

While the RB900 does not have a VTA micrometer, it does have VTA adjustment with shims. It currently has a shim above the spindle hole.
Thankfully a conical mono stylus is less demanding of vta/sra...however if you read the various threads here on wbf pertaining to vta you will see how the shim method is less than ideal. Not to say it can't work.

I know detachable headshells is a 'topic' however especially for a mono, single-arm table I would want one. That way I could have a .7 and a 1.0 or even a 'modern styli mono' and change them out as needed.

Anyways with the right shims under the arm and maybe additional mass at the cart end of the arm I'm sure you can acheive a workable solution!

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Also got the Beatles Mono box after reading MF review. I have been a bit disappointed with it until today - after seeing the $1k per set going rate =) I much prefer the original mono pressing, more natural and more pleasant ambience in my opinion. On the Miyajima, I have never been able to get rid of hum from my Zero completely. It sounds best when using only one channel and connect with Y cable in my set up. Even so, the hum is there, but the tone is oh so beautiful. Cannot imagine how much better the Infinity can be!

Reactions: jespera

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Just went through posts in this thread. It is really unfortunate that Miyajima cannot replicate the magic of monos to their stereo carts. I got the Shilabe with the hope of getting Zero sound in stereo only to find a completely different tone - pretty much like what bonzo described. The Madake was not much different too. Hopefully they will get it one day.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Just went through posts in this thread. It is really unfortunate that Miyajima cannot replicate the magic of monos to their stereo carts. I got the Shilabe with the hope of getting Zero sound in stereo only to find a completely different tone - pretty much like what bonzo described. The Madake was not much different too. Hopefully they will get it one day.
If you prefer a brighter and more 'modern' sound than the Shilabe or Madake, then the Miyajima Takumi L and Saboten L are definitely worth hearing.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Also got the Beatles Mono box after reading MF review. I have been a bit disappointed with it until today - after seeing the $1k per set going rate =) I much prefer the original mono pressing, more natural and more pleasant ambience in my opinion. On the Miyajima, I have never been able to get rid of hum from my Zero completely. It sounds best when using only one channel and connect with Y cable in my set up. Even so, the hum is there, but the tone is oh so beautiful. Cannot imagine how much better the Infinity can be!
Just curious about your pesky hum. Are you utilizing one pair of leads from the Miyajima Zero and then placing an RCA Y splitter to divide the mono signal and feed stereo inputs to your phonostage (understanding that the two pair of leads on the Miyajima Zero are internally bridged from a true mono single coil winding)? Have you reached out to Robyatt Audio?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Just curious about your pesky hum. Are you utilizing one pair of leads from the Miyajima Zero and then placing an RCA Y splitter to divide the mono signal and feed stereo inputs to your phonostage (understanding that the two pair of leads on the Miyajima Zero are internally bridged from a true mono single coil winding)? Have you reached out to Robyatt Audio?
Hi, yes I take the right channel signal from the Zero and split it into l/r input of my phono. I find this configuration to work well with certain stereo carts too. With this config, I still get slight hum from the Zero but it is much reduced. I also tried summing the l/r signal from Zero and splitting it again. Did not work as well as the config above. In fact I think it is worth getting a y splitter (cheap) and see how you like it.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
If you prefer a brighter and more 'modern' sound than the Shilabe or Madake, then the Miyajima Takumi L and Saboten L are definitely worth hearing.
Thanks, I am not aware of them, will certainly look into it.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Hi, yes I take the right channel signal from the Zero and split it into l/r input of my phono. I find this configuration to work well with certain stereo carts too. With this config, I still get slight hum from the Zero but it is much reduced. I also tried summing the l/r signal from Zero and splitting it again. Did not work as well as the config above. In fact I think it is worth getting a y splitter (cheap) and see how you like it.
A custom single input to dual output cable may be a wise future investment for mono reproduction. That way we could control quality and integrity. Keeping the low level signal path pure as possible offers a very significant upgrade in fidelity.

Not understanding that you hum issue is due to the Miyajima cartridge but rather your method of hook up.

Double Y connectors and summing the four pin output doesn’t seem like it would be the simplest path.

With an Aesthetix Rhea Signature phonostage I was fortunate in not needing any additional cabling or connectors in the low level signal path. They had me covered. I am merely bring down a mono signal from two of the four outputs pins on the Miyajima Zero cartridge to an RCA right side input and then two RCA outputs from the right side to the linestage input left and right. I logically utilize input #1 for mono, input #2 stereo, and #3 for whatever from the Rhea. It only works because of having multiple inputs and outputs

Yeah for me this means the investment of a redundant pair of IC’s, but in for a dime, in for a dollar. It’s that or a purpose built custom cable.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A custom single input to dual output cable may be a wise future investment for mono reproduction. ..
Seems like a SUT wired for this would be smart ( except for those all active &/or opposed to SUT of course ).

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing