Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Out of curiosity, what is the point of constantly posting these low resolution videos?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Out of curiosity, what is the point of constantly posting these low resolution videos?
@thomask is working out the placement of his speakers in challenging rooms. He has been getting feedback from others about reflections, and other room anomalies to aid in his setup.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Altec A7 does sound much better than i expected.

I picked it up only three weeks ago.

It give effortless dynamics and nuanced bass with wide and deep soundstage.

Although Altec does not sound boxy, I could notice more holographic imaging through my modern speaker Lansche 4.1 which I had been using since 2006.

I am happy to have both.

I will play each depending on music and my mood.
Altec seems to work better with Jazz and rock music although it is not slouch with Classical music.

The effect of Ground control on both Altec and Lansche appears to be more sensitive than I expected.

I will give update only when it affect the sound of speaker seriously.

Thanks everybody on inputs.:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Altec A7 does sound much better than i expected.

I picked it up only three weeks ago.

It give effortless dynamics and nuanced bass with wide and deep soundstage.

Although Altec does not sound boxy, I could notice more holographic imaging through my modern speaker Lansche 4.1 which I had been using since 2006.

I am happy to have both.

I will play each depending on music and my mood.
Altec seems to work better with Jazz and rock music although it is not slouch with Classical music.

The effect of Ground control on both Altec and Lansche appears to be more sensitive than I expected.

I will give update only when it affect the sound of speaker seriously.

Thanks everybody on inputs.:)

Thank you for sharing your system with us and posting these observations. Every listener has preferences and given your descriptions I can understand why you like both speakers.

I’m curious which one do you think sounds to you more like live unamplified instruments? Do you hear holographic images when you’re listening to live music?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thank you for sharing your system with us and posting these observations. Every listener has preferences and given your descriptions I can understand why you like both speakers.

I’m curious which one do you think sounds to you more like live unamplified instruments? Do you hear holographic images when you’re listening to live music?
That is a good question.

I think Altec A7 sounds more like live music.

The holographic imaging through Lansche 4.1 may be exaggerated effect which can not be heard at live concert.

But audiophiles tend to enjoy such holographic imaging .;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That is a good question.

The holographic imaging through Lansche 4.1 may be exaggerated effect which can not be heard at live concert.

thank you Thomask. This is a long thread and to me this post gets to the heart of the matter of the difference between modern and vintage speakers. I think it’s about the attributes they present to the listener and what the listener prefers. But, I don’t think one can make this overly simple or generalized.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
thank you Thomask. This is a long thread and to me this post gets to the heart of the matter of the difference between modern and vintage speakers. I think it’s about the attributes they present to the listener and what the listener prefers. But, I don’t think one can make this overly simple or generalized.
It is my dream to set up Western horn system with field coil driver at my home some day.

In the meantime, I will try to get the best out of those two excellent speakers.

By the way I also bought used Scaena 3.2 last year.

But it need two people to assemble it and I could not ask other people come to my home during Covid season.

I will assemble it on the third floor by the end of this year.

It will also sounds like typical modern speakers with holographic imaging.:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Personally I think it is more than that. I heard the 20k and 65k euro Lansche in same room as devore orangutans (the amps on Lansche were different to those that worked best on devore).

The Lansche on first track impressed. Nice midrange and clean highs and weight. However, and it is possibly due to the active bass, not sure why, but the Lansche stage is constant across recordings. It is the stage of the speaker. The devore was much more into showing the venue that differed LP to LP and more flow, so I preferred that much more for realism.

Now, each Altec sounds different. That said, The one woofer A7 will be more boxier than the 817 due to moving to the vented bass (away from the horn bass).

Also, when Thomas says Lansche is better for classical the Altec mids and highs will be less nuanced than the Lansche. They have nice timbre but less nuance. So I always suggest using Radian or TAD there though I also like Altec but if ultimate nuance especially on violin concertos and separation on large scale is the goal.

Reactions: Argonaut

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Personally I think it is more than that. I heard the 20k and 65k euro Lansche in same room as devore orangutans (the amps on Lansche were different to those that worked best on devore).

The Lansche on first track impressed. Nice midrange and clean highs and weight. However, and it is possibly due to the active bass, not sure why, but the Lansche stage is constant across recordings. It is the stage of the speaker. The devore was much more into showing the venue that differed LP to LP and more flow, so I preferred that much more for realism.

Now, each Altec sounds different. That said, The one woofer A7 will be more boxier than the 817 due to moving to the vented bass (away from the horn bass).

Also, when Thomas says Lansche is better for classical the Altec mids and highs will be less nuanced than the Lansche. They have nice timbre but less nuance. So I always suggest using Radian or TAD there though I also like Altec but if ultimate nuance especially on violin concertos and separation on large scale is the goal.
Lansche is sensitive to the listening space.

I found that my Lansche sounds better on the second floor than the third floor.:)

I do not feel the need for second woofer for Altec A7.

It gives more than enough dynamics on the second floor.

But field coil driver tend to sound faster with little bit more details.

Thus in the future, I will try to get the genuine vintage horn system with field coil driver.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is not about dynamics, it is about breathing. 2 woofers cover a larger area with horn loading, can be run more with with baffle open without sacrificing decibel. With one woofer you need more box to get same pressure. So the bass breathes with two better

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcelNL

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
51fq-tpWifL.jpg

This one cost 60$ for 12 caps with free shipping.

It is supposed to suppress EMI through RCA connector.

After inserting those 12 caps to all open connectors, it seems that I get slightly more details.

Thus you may try it if you enjoy tweaks. :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That is a good question.

Imagining aside, in what way do the ALTECs sound more like live?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Thomas’s Lansche are different than the ones you have heard. They have a Supravox mid/bass that is very fast and dynamic sounding (And it is 99db/watt). The newer ones are all lower sensitivity and far more conventional. I had a customer with the Lansche Goa that was super dynamic (predecessor of their Cubus speaker). They turned away from high sensitivity about 10 years ago except for Cubus II.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Imagining aside, in what way do the ALTECs sound more like live?
Altec sounds more natural with effortless dynamics.

My Lansche is not terribly bad with high efficiency( Spec as 99db/w but real no is arounnd 94db still pretty high)

Some high end speakers give more pin point imaging but due to low efficiency, sound appears to be squeezed out of speaker using high power of SS amp.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I paid 50K$ for new Lansche 4.1 16 years ago.

It was like buying luxury German car (Lansche is also made in Germany),

But I got Altec A7 four weeks ago at 1000 CDN(750 USD).

Despite the price difference Altec A7 give more effortless sound with nuanced details.;)

Lansche give more refined sound with holographic imaging.

But with Michael Jacson and large scale orchestral music , I prefer Altec to Lansche.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing