Movers of highend audio equipment

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Who are the most trusted movers for highend audio equipment across the US? Simple home movers are too untrustworthy to move equipment that can total hundreds of thousands dollars. Is it better to find a general shipping company? Should one get insurance? If so, who do you recommend? Thank you.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Who are the most trusted movers for highend audio equipment across the US? Simple home movers are too untrustworthy to move equipment that can total hundreds of thousands dollars. Is it better to find a general shipping company? Should one get insurance? If so, who do you recommend? Thank you.
Try Craters and Freighters, San Diego CA.
They specialize in moving technical industry equipment.
They moved my system and valuable art without a hitch to Oklahoma.
Not cheap but would you expect it when you want protected handling?

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Thank you. Would you happens to know one based in Texas?
Craters and Freighters Dallas in Garland BUT I do not know if the same standards/qualifications are there.
You could search that out on line and even call or visit. i can only vouch for the San Diego location specifically.

Reactions: dr k

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Do you need movers only or 'pack and move' service? imho its all about the packing...once on the truck the bumps are all the same ;)

Reactions: dr k and dbeau

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Do you need movers only or 'pack and move' service? imho its all about the packing...once on the truck the bumps are all the same ;)
That’s what I was wondering. Does he/she have the original shipping crates, or do they need to buy replacements? When I sent my Pass amp back I bought a box from Pass for the shipment.

Reactions: dr k

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I would see if one of the local high end dealers offers to help deal with special needs if nothing else pans out. Or this idea resonates.

They are especially equipped to deal with delivery and unpacking of full systems. Once packed up, one or two of their guys drive a one way rental to your new home and contract with a local dealer to aid in redelivery. Fly the gentlemen home while you sit back in a fully set up room requiring only minor adjustments.

Air or ground domestic freight services usually get real careful with electronics at a certain dollar level plastered with tip and shock sensors. Can even gets ones that send a cell phone alert if triggered so you can start reaming someone out instantly. No idea what the risk level would be like if you are hoping to accomplish this near Christmas. I'd be very especially particular and adamant about consequences of diverting any portion off to a subcontractor. In writing, get every single movement and entity touching the pallets explicitly stated along with exact delivery instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr k and dbeau

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I would see if one of the local high end dealers offers to help deal with special needs if nothing else pans out. Or this idea resonates.

They are especially equipped to deal with delivery and unpacking of full systems. Once packed up, one or two of their guys drive a one way rental to your new home and contract with a local dealer to aid in redelivery. Fly the gentlemen home while you sit back in a fully set up room requiring only minor adjustments.

Air or ground domestic freight services usually get real careful with electronics at a certain dollar level plastered with tip and shock sensors. Can even gets ones that send a cell phone alert if triggered so you can start reaming someone out instantly. No idea what the risk level would be like if you are hoping to accomplish this near Christmas. I'd be very especially particular and adamant about consequences of diverting any portion off to a subcontractor. In writing, get every single movement and entity touching the pallets explicitly stated along with exact delivery instructions.
AGREE with all above: That's what was unique with CRATERS and Freighters, i.e. they pack/Crate and load equipment on the hauler who then delivers. I had original Wilson Audio crates for speakers but they built crates (as solid as Wilson) for equipment and paintings, glass art, etc. - that's why it cost more. As stated "once it's loaded the bumps are the same". Care in off loading and uncrating goes back to the C&F company. There are probably similar services and the suggestion for connection through a high-end dealer is good.

Reactions: dr k and rando

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Craters and Freighters Dallas in Garland BUT I do not know if the same standards/qualifications are there.
You could search that out on line and even call or visit. i can only vouch for the San Diego location specifically.
Thanks again. I’ll give them a call.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Thank you everyone. All of you have given me great suggestions. I’ve never tried to move so much valuable equipment across the country.

I’ll be doing it probably in January after the holiday madness. Do you know specifically who offers tip and shock sensors with cell phone alerts?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Hello.
Should I trust household movers with my equipment for
a long distance move (about 1100 miles)?
I would pack everything myself in mostly original boxes and
double boxing most things beyond that.
No big speakers, just a bunch of expensive electronics and monitors.
Or should I just rent a truck and drive my stuff by myself?
Thanks.

This is a tough question to answer blind.

For one, not all household movers are cut of the same cloth. For a second there is very little you can do about jostling on the road if high winds or bad storms are encountered. Factory packaging should greatly aid protection of your electronics. Especially if they were shipped in professional travel cases. Which may be an investment today you consider.

If you have other fragile objects it may be worthwhile to rent a Sprinter van with intent to make the trip slowly. Bit of a tossup between securely packed in dense tough to access space or personally seeing no harm comes to pass. Rarer and less likely to be manufacturer replaced this decade electronics would push many towards specialized services or personally accompanying these items across the country.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing