CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
From the YG Web site's About Us:

"Over the years, Geva developed all seven of YG Acoustics’ additional key technologies: Cabinet (2004), FocusedElimination (2007), ToroAir (2010), BilletCore (2011), ViseCoil (2015) and BilletDome (2016). In addition, he created all of YG Acoustics’ speaker models: the legacy Anat and Kipod and the current Sonja XV, Sonja 2, Hailey 2 and Carmel 2. Geva is the recipient of over 100 awards worldwide for his products and technologies.

In 2017, after 15 successful years at the helm of YG Acoustics, Geva decided to refocus solely on his true passion – speaker research and development. He sold YG Acoustics in a multi-million-dollar transaction and now remains on board as Chief Engineer under the leadership CEO David Komatz. Geva now dedicates all of his time to creating YG Acoustics’ future technological innovations
. "

- Joachim Gerhard left Audio Physics - will just say for personal reasons. He returned to audio and offers the Canalis loudspeakers in collaboration with Allen Perkins. Have you heard of them?

- Franco Serblin left Sonus Faber when they were acquired by the McIntosh consortium. He started Franco Serblin Speakers and created two models before he passed in 2013. SF remains a going endeavor. How did Serblin's departure impact them?

- Jim Thiel passed in 2009; Theil Audio hung on until 2018 with Thiel's original designs discontinued in 2012.

- With forethought Dave Wilson positioned his son Darryl to take over WAS.

Pure speculation - this does not bode well for YG Acoustics. The CEO is a business man with, to my knowledge, no real background in audio. Will Yoav Geva, clearly a genius, start a new company? Will he stay in audio?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Pure speculation - this does not bode well for YG Acoustics. The CEO is a business man with, to my knowledge, no real background in audio. Will Yoav Geva, clearly a genius, start a new company? Will he stay in audio?
I have the same thought. :rolleyes:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Interesting news, but not really shocking, given the events in recent years

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What events?

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The company's press release was hastily prepared and is remarkably lame. "Remaind" is not a word and ". . . is now distributes. . ." is gibberish. I expect better from anyone claiming to be "world-leading." Who wrote this?

Reactions: Golum

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The company's press release was hastily prepared and is remarkably lame. "Remaind" is not a word and ". . . is now distributes. . ." is gibberish. I expect better from anyone claiming to be "world-leading." Who wrote this?

Don't be surprised if YG turns into a machining shop in a few years, with nothing to do with the audio world per se

Reactions: marmota

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So many marques are absolutely connected to their founders/chief designers. How many can survive once the motive force is gone? Unless of course a successor is carefully groomed.

Eg, I believe Andy Payor has left Rockport, has his successor cemented the company?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What happens to existing inventory at dealerships? Did people really ever consider both YG and Magico speakers? It seems that customers are pretty divided between the two brands. It will be interesting to see if Mr Geva immerges with a new audio business. Designing speakers seems to be his passion.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nope, hence "I believe".
I thought I read that, and it was confirmed. The Lyra being the result rather than "double Altair" replacement for Arrakis.
Apologies if that's fake news.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The fact that he sold the company a few years ago; wasn't doing well as a business

This is absolutely not true. YG had their best trimester EVER earlier this year, and even closed due to the pandemic, the orders kept rolling in (I know, we've placed a few).
There's no need to spread misinformation like this right now.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What happens to existing inventory at dealerships? Did people really ever consider both YG and Magico speakers? It seems that customers are pretty divided between the two brands. It will be interesting to see if Mr Geva immerges with a new audio business. Designing speakers seems to be his passion.

Yes, Keith was one of them, having auditioned both, and we have several other stories, including a client who auditioned *10* other speaker brands before buying a Sonja as his final speaker.
There's a pretty strong Magico dealer in Orange County, so local folks can readily audition both brands.
Unfortunately YG's dealer coverage was never anywhere near Magico's, so most folks simply never had the chance to (properly) audition them.

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'll look forward to seeing what the future holds for Yoav Geva.

I purchased my Carmel's in 2012, still have them after having upgraded/replaced all other components, and love the sound.

A favorite memory was touring the factory in late 2012 (thank you Dick Diamond) where I was met by Yoav and given a top-to-bottom personal tour. It was capped by a listening session of their soon-to-be-announced Sonja speakers. Listening with Yoav, discussing music and stereo, an awesome experience!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This is absolutely not true. YG had their best trimester EVER earlier this year, and even closed due to the pandemic, the orders kept rolling in (I know, we've placed a few).
There's no need to spread BS like this right now.

Perhaps Mr. Geva did not want the headache of running the business and chose to focus on his love of design. Perhaps he found he could not ultimately fulfill that under the current corporate structure, so he left. Or, perhaps not.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
So many marques are absolutely connected to their founders/chief designers. How many can survive once the motive force is gone? Unless of course a successor is carefully groomed.

Eg, I believe Andy Payor has left Rockport, has his successor cemented the company?
No he has not as far as I know. He is still there as chief designer. Josh, Transparent Audio, has bought the company over and is the CEO. So a change of ownership, which is understandable given Andy is probably nearing 60! Transparent and Rockport have had a relationship, I believe, right from the outset going back decades.
Though, i guess it still remains to be seen if directionally Rockport changes courses the coming years.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Marc my understanding is that Andy sold the business but has continued to work for them
FWIW, I called Rockport several weeks ago, and spoke with both Andy and Josh, the new head, who were still working in the office.

Reactions: sujay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing