MSB Select II arrival

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
thanks JP.

what I would be interested in would be if you are considering adding the Ethernet card to your CH C1? I've heard that is preferred with CH C1 users who have compared.

Hi Mike.
Yes, I will probably do that later on. A good idea is to send the unit back to CH when I am on holiday, I hate to be without music when I am at home :).

Rgds
JP

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Funny how aesthetics play such an important role in our purchasing decisions. I guess one persons lump of coal is another's diamond.....

Funny, for me the looks of MSB is what I like least about them. Performance has almost always been good though and the Sel2 ...though expensive is top shelf.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Funny how aesthetics play such an important role in our purchasing decisions. I guess one persons lump of coal is another's diamond.....
Very true, but I dont over-emphasize aesthetics in making audio purchase decisions.
SQ is more important.

Last edited:

Odyssey

Mar 15, 2015
Very true, but I dont over-emphasize aesthertics in making audio purchase décisions.
SQ is more important.

Yes, we do "listen with our eyes" first. But SQ trumps all other considerations IMO.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
just noticed the MSB Select II is arriving today, a day early.......;)

View attachment 33312

Congrats. Mine did as well. It comes much better packed than previous MSB DACs. Nice metal Pelican type cases securing the DAC and power supply. The DAC and power supply are both in velvet pouches for. Nice touch.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the eagle.....has landed.

at noon i'll run home, unpack it and plug it in. then the SGM team can tweak the set-ups remotely while I'm back at work.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
the eagle.....has landed.

at noon i'll run home, unpack it and plug it in. then the SGM team can tweak the set-ups remotely while I'm back at work.

Congrats Mike. Curious what USB cable you are using?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike. Curious what USB cable you are using?

for now, i'll use the 'powered' version of the Sablon Elite I used on the Aqua. I also have a Totaldac on hand to try.

not sure if the Select II needs a powered USB. I know the unpowered version is better if it works with your dac.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
for now, i'll use the 'powered' version of the Sablon Elite I used on the Aqua. I also have a Totaldac on hand to try.

not sure if the Select II needs a powered USB. I know the unpowered version is better if it works with your dac.

you know which USB cable you need now with the Select ll Mike ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
you know which USB cable you need now with the Select ll Mike ;)

I deserve that :rolleyes: as it's hard to make a case for not going wacko on a USB cable after my decision on the Select II.

all that said, until I choose between USB/SPDIF and Ethernet the cable choice is besides the point. and there are expensive network cables just like expensive USB cables. going nuts on one of those will be a bridge i'll cross when I get to it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I deserve that :rolleyes: as it's hard to make a case for not going wacko on a USB cable after my decision on the Select II.

all that said, until I choose between USB/SPDIF and Ethernet the cable choice is besides the point. and there are expensive network cables just like expensive USB cables. going nuts on one of those will be a bridge i'll cross when I get to it.

I would bet you that if you were to try that USB cable you just might forget Ethernet and renderers

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

Can't imagine the Select needs powered USB. It is really for budget 200 USD DACs or external drives, or budget USB input boards in lower end DACs. The power is noisy and hideous, a real nasty problem in USB.

Can you feed it via Ethernet? I would also try AES as non upsampled from the SGM. I believe the Select is the first MSB DAC to not upsample and thus can have no filter.

I bought a 'budget' Audioquest Ethernet cable last week and it is great, CAT7 spec, better than the basic CAT6 I got with my Rednet. It is all about noise and RF rejection with Ethernet cables. I am not sure if it is necessary to go too crazy, I would try sub 200 USD CAT7 cables.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would bet you that if you were to try that USB cable you just might forget Ethernet and renderers

Steve, that would be one approach I could take, but then I would bypass what I think to be an important question of the whole digital front end design. which I want to figure out objectively.

so respectfully; upgrading those cables now is not the path I'm taking. not that I don't respect what cable performance can do. and I realize that my perception of differences will be influenced by cables. I just have to do the best I can with it.

the Select II I've purchased has XLR outputs, but they will also send me the RCA output module, so I will be able to compare them directly. once done i'll optimize that cable run.....likely with my choice of interconnects, the Tara Labs Grandmaster Evolution w/HFX grounding. I love how that cable sounds with the grounding (working with my Tripoint Troy Signature) and the air tube dialectic.

when I get the digital interface issue behind me i'll deal with the question of cable upgrades for that.

will I even think about a 5-figure list price USB cable? hard to imagine I would but time will tell.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Can't imagine the Select needs powered USB. It is really for budget 200 USD DACs or external drives, or budget USB input boards in lower end DACs. The power is noisy and hideous, a real nasty problem in USB.

Can you feed it via Ethernet? I would also try AES as non upsampled from the SGM. I believe the Select is the first MSB DAC to not upsample and thus can have no filter.

I bought a 'budget' Audioquest Ethernet cable last week and it is great, CAT7 spec, better than the basic CAT6 I got with my Rednet. It is all about noise and RF rejection with Ethernet cables. I am not sure if it is necessary to go too crazy, I would try sub 200 USD CAT7 cables.

the Select II is said to be optimal with Ethernet. i'll investigate that for myself.

I have to ask MSB about the 'powered' USB question, just have not got around to it.

MSB is about to release a new Ethernet renderer which will do Roon and MQA, maybe in 30 days or so. they will send me one to compare directly to the USB interface. so in the meantime i'll be using USB with the SGM server.

I know there are some great Ethernet cables, and that using optical cables for network cables can also be optimal.

Reactions: Kakarella

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I much prefer ethernet as a connection.

It all depends on a particular application.

Mike: have you bought the DAC without listening it first in your system ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It all depends on a particular application.

Mike: have you bought the DAC without listening it first in your system ?

Correct. Heard it three times at shows

never heard the Trinity dac, even at a show, but loved it. which does not make it the right move, or wrong move.

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I would say congrats, but you ordered yours in black when then have an iron man version that would be a perfect match to the dartzeels. You had your one chance and blew it Mike...

j/k

Congrats now we can have that showdown. Dont sell the Aqua just yet :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would say congrats, but you ordered yours in black when then have an iron man version that would be a perfect match to the dartzeels. You had your one chance and blew it Mike...

j/k

Congrats now we can have that showdown. Dont sell the Aqua just yet :)

I've got my quota of red and gold. black is the new black.:rolleyes:

and.....bring it on!!!

and I hope that happens.

the Aqua Formula and La Diva are now officially for sale.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing