MSB Select II arrival

Micro...My point is do as little "harm" to the signal as possible to maintain true fidelity in the "real" world which is de facto ANALOG. Music is analog.

Very interesting debate.

What we should not forget is that circuits became more complicated because of the limitations of the simpler circuits or topologies. We can go on forever glorifying the virtues of Triodes and especially DHT. They have severe limitations which called for more complicated ( yes, that word) devices and circuitry. It is another dear fallacy to think that a Digital DAC chip is simplicity itself. It is not,these are for the most part intrically and bewilderingly complex assembly of miniaturized components. Sometimes numbering over thousands of parts.. That is what chips mostly are. They're not "simple" in most instances.
It seems to dawn on many that Digital is capable of conveying music in all its nuances. Well IMO it has been the case for many years. I tend to believe from all the Kudos that the MSB Select is great and for those people who've heard one of the top DACs on the market...
However great that the MSB might be there are many others, some of these not as dear ... as microstrip brushed on, a serious and unbiased audition (is that possible? :D) of something like the Devialet could open many ears and perhaps hearts... The Devialet BTW is far from simple it is complex , complicated and extremely good sounding.
Now back to the MSB which in spite of all the resistance seems to have bridged many (all ? ;)) gaps and becoming the goto listening apparatus for more than one ...
Yes people! Digital can be that kind of good.. has been for a while

Only if you are a pure objectivist meter reader are triodes inferior and requiring more complicated circuits to "improve" the sound. In fact, they are still the most linear amplifying devices made by humankind.

Circuits were made more complicated for many reasons but sound quality was not one of those reasons. Making things smaller and cooler were two reasons.

We are not debating elementary digital electronics teaching - then the first thing to say is that all logic signals are represented by an analog signal and give some examples, usually starting with TTL!

Anyway modern encoders have lots of digital processing - and sorry not simple at all! There is not such think as a 24 bit flash ADC's! And most DACs also have a lot of processing. It is not a fallacy, it exists!

Not the AD1865N.

Except that it's obsolete according to the manufacturer, written all over the data sheet:

http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/obsolete-data-sheets/AD1865.pdf

Yes we know that, but it doesn't take away it is line of the best sounding chips ever made. BTW Audio Note and Aries Cerat use it in their DACs, and I assume they bought up old stock to do that.

I think the crux of this discussion is a chip that has NO processing (simple) and can avoid a filter messes less with the data, and thus 'in theory' can produce a remarkably clean sound.

Only if you are a pure objectivist meter reader are triodes inferior and requiring more complicated circuits to "improve" the sound. In fact, they are still the most linear amplifying devices made by humankind.

Circuits were made more complicated for many reasons but sound quality was not one of those reasons. Making things smaller and cooler were two reasons.

On what then do you base your claim? You mention "Linearity" an objective metric (as in measurable). You can't have it both ways...

Parting shot : Digital PCM is not "simple" .. The processing is always complex and requires appropriately complex devices and cicuitry

The functioning diagram of the above mentioned AD1865 ...

ad1865d.png

Each of the devices within this chip is composed of dozens of basic components ( Transistor, Diodes, Coil , Caps, Resistors, etc) .. This assemble cannot by any stretch be called "simple".

Perhaps we should get back to the OP ... We have already hijacked waaaay too much Mike's thread.

18 bits, up to 16X oversampling. The digital processing is usually carried by the filter, typically the SM5813 at that time.

Yes, nothing was onboard with this chip. All digital processing has to be done prior to feeding it into the chip. It has no processing logic. This means simply the chip will accept signals with 18 bits and frequencies up to 705.6 Khz. You can actually feed it 24 bit signals with the right digital receiver chip but the last six bits will be truncated.

On what then do you base your claim? You mention "Linearity" an objective metric (as in measurable). You can't have it both ways...

Parting shot : Digital PCM is not "simple" .. The processing is always complex and requires appropriately complex devices and cicuitry

The functioning diagram of the above mentioned AD1865 ...

View attachment 34937

Each of the devices within this chip is composed of dozens of basic components ( Transistor, Diodes, Coil , Caps, Resistors, etc) .. This assemble cannot by any stretch be called "simple".

Perhaps we should get back to the OP ... We have already hijacked waaaay too much Mike's thread.

You can take the Iout, which is straight off the resistor ladder... The data latch is probably something simple like a TTL flip flop that latches and unlatches depending on the CLK. This is probably one of the simplest DACs ever made on a chip. My point is that it does not have any control logic, digital filters built in (most do) etc. It is probably as close to a discrete DAC concept as was done on a chip because of the temptation to put MORE onto the chip because you can.

After 900+ posts who cares what the OP was? What Mike thought of the sound was exhausted long ago...

Yes, nothing was onboard with this chip. All digital processing has to be done prior to feeding it into the chip. It has no processing logic. This means simply the chip will accept signals with 18 bits and frequencies up to 705.6 Khz. You can actually feed it 24 bit signals with the right digital receiver chip but the last six bits will be truncated.

Analog Devices tests and grades the DACs at 705.6 KHz, probably knowing of its limitations at this frequency - no one knows what is the real performance at 44.1 kHz. Any way it is not a pure R2R device as some people seem to assume - the four MSBs are segmented, the lower 14 are R2R. And AD does not supply information on what segmentation technique is used for the 4 MSBs.

Yes, I would agree that this feeling of unease is a good subconscious indicator that something is not right. I do sometimes feel this live as well but it is invariably a live AMPLIFIED concert where some kind of electronic artifacts are coming through. I think relaxed has potentially negative connotations but sense or ease or unease might work better. I generally experience a "brightness" with a lot of SS digital gear that I perceive as a synthesized and exaggerated kind of artifact that some perceive as "detail". When that artifact is missing the first impression might well be that the device has lower resolution...except on extended listening it does not have less but delivers it in a way that is frankly with less distortion that is detrimental to natural perception.

+1
very nicely stated

You can take the Iout, which is straight off the resistor ladder... The data latch is probably something simple like a TTL flip flop that latches and unlatches depending on the CLK. This is probably one of the simplest DACs ever made on a chip. My point is that it does not have any control logic, digital filters built in (most do) etc. It is probably as close to a discrete DAC concept as was done on a chip because of the temptation to put MORE onto the chip because you can.

After 900+ posts who cares what the OP was? What Mike thought of the sound was exhausted long ago...

trying to be a bit respectful to your 'not unexpected' shot, note please that mine and others feedback on the Select II is hardly done. which is not to say that reasonable side issue talk should not be part of things. but deep dives should be taken elsewhere like any other narrowly focused thread.

Analog Devices tests and grades the DACs at 705.6 KHz, probably knowing of its limitations at this frequency - no one knows what is the real performance at 44.1 kHz. Any way it is not a pure R2R device as some people seem to assume - the four MSBs are segmented, the lower 14 are R2R. And AD does not supply information on what segmentation technique is used for the 4 MSBs.

Yes, it seems to be a kind of hybrid. Interestingly, the Burr Brown PCM63 is a true ladder DAC but gets 20bits by having two 19bit ladders that are interleaved or something...they are summed on the output. Both are great sounding DACs

trying to be a bit respectful to your 'not unexpected' shot, note please that mine and others feedback on the Select II is hardly done. which is not to say that reasonable side issue talk should not be part of things. but deep dives should be taken elsewhere like any other narrowly focused thread.

You took my comment as a "shot"... really? Of course you will continue to add to your previous statements...but isn't it clear what your main impressions are by now? It is primarily the side topics that have kept this thread going...maybe those should have been started elsewhere but people seem to like to keep tangentially similiar ideas going in an existing thread for some reason.

Really, the subject in a lot of these threads is MUSIC and to find / buy / get / design the best gear to actually hear that. So naturally as threads wear on they come back to that basic need and subject. IMO if a thread does bang on for months about one subject, and in some cases the posters of that unit in question are few in number, it kind of becomes a fanboy club of 2 opinions (example) with 100 folk admiring from a distance, but quite possibly not knowing what they are admiring.

Anyway, IMO if the thread contains info that helps me and others, and we swop out ideas and experiences.

Last edited:
I think while ideas should be exchanged, (and Mike was the one who encouraged me to share another viewpoint (Lampi) on his own thread), we should post respecting him, and not be dismissive. Yes sometimes things that go off path should not go too narrow on it, which I do think happened here, though personally I have never been into the techie side of things to discuss details of the chips etc. I can understand some are

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu