MSB Select II arrival

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Spirit.
You have the blood too hot.
Count to 10 until write...:);)
As i see, nobody here has any idea why Trinity has fallen from AE portfolio. Until i know is the only brand has done it....
I know the reasons and they are surrealistic from Dietmar’s position and AE reacted honestly....
I understand this can be viewed wrongly because it hasn’t be explained.
On other way, Trinity was AE reference Dac until Wadax Atlantis was launched.
Now Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac is a new “tour de force” on ultra-high end world.
Not only on AE.
Stereo, you know that social media posts work via bullet points. Glosses over any subtleties. You only have to look at the arguments over politics to see this (Brexit and Trump being cases in point).

But it's always struck me that more than anywhere else, AE really does have flavours of the month.

Anyhow, that's beside the main point. It seems that MSB Select 2 versus Wadax Ref will never happen. But Atlantis transport versus Extreme, both thru Wadax Ref dac, could still happen. I for one am really curious about this outcome.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Trinity is one of most artificial sounding dacs I heard. And I heard it twice, at Elberoth's when he had the big 7 (he sold the trinity) and then a few years later at Jazzhead's, against the aqua formula, Stahltek, and neodio origine. Same conclusion. Trinity was the mainstay in both systems at the time with the others visiting

Reactions: Steve Vu

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Trinity is one of most artificial sounding dacs I heard. And I heard it twice, at Elberoth's when he had the big 7 (he sold the trinity) and then a few years later at Jazzhead's, against the aqua formula, Stahltek, and neodio origine. Same conclusion. Trinity was the mainstay in both systems at the time with the others visiting
I don´t like Trinity too.....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

What do you mean by artificial sounding? I listened to it once in non controlled conditions - this means a show - and found it very detailed, on the analytical side, but no digital artifacts at all.

Reactions: Namaste

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What do you mean by artificial sounding? I listened to it once in non controlled conditions - this means a show - and found it very detailed, on the analytical side, but no digital artifacts at all.

Yes it is detailed and transparent, but it was thin and lacked tone, also a bit stop start as compared to the tone, musicality, and flow I was getting in a very natural way from the others we compared it to.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Stereo, you know that social media posts work via bullet points. Glosses over any subtleties. You only have to look at the arguments over politics to see this (Brexit and Trump being cases in point).

But it's always struck me that more than anywhere else, AE really does have flavours of the month.

Anyhow, that's beside the main point. It seems that MSB Select 2 versus Wadax Ref will never happen. But Atlantis transport versus Extreme, both thru Wadax Ref dac, could still happen. I for one am really curious
about this outcome.

Sorry, I am trying to follow what seems to be an interesting conversation, but I cannot figure out what AE means. Can you help? Thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, I am trying to follow what seems to be an interesting conversation, but I cannot figure out what AE means. Can you help? Thanks

Audio exotics

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Yes it is detailed and transparent, but it was thin and lacked tone, also a bit stop start as compared to the tone, musicality, and flow I was getting in a very natural way from the others we compared it to.
Was this the standard dac or the Golden Reference Dac. I seem to recall jazz head had the standard version?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks guys. So if I understand correctly, this is a prominent dealer in Hong Kong with a substantial online community, and thus is quite influential?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks guys. So if I understand correctly, this is a prominent dealer in Hong Kong with a substantial online community, and thus is quite influential?

It's the leading influencer for the most high end priced gear

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

i owned a Trinity dac for 9 months, and not sure i agree with that. it was a big step up over my Playback Designs MPS-5, and on PCM i much preferred it 'in my system to my ears' at the time to the GG v1. i used a server then built by my son. i think my system played to the strengths of the Trinity. i did use a very spendy set of Tara Labs Grand Master Evolution w/grounding blocks set of XLR interconnects with the Trinity which made a huge difference in refinement.

i posted a bit about the Trinity on the Audio Exotics forum back then. agree it's a fanboy++++ sort of place, but also classy and modest too in their particular style.

i sold the Trinity dac shortly before you visited; then right after you visited (or right before) i got the SGM 2015 server and then upgraded my GG to v1.5.

then i had a very early Aqua Formula (my memory was that the 4x as expensive Trinity was better), and had the GG V1.5, and then a few months later the MSB Select II.

it would be interesting to insert that Trinity dac back into my system today and see how it would do. i do agree it was a step over the neutrality point into a bit of sterility. but just a tiny step. (with your GG leanings i certainly can see where you are on the Trinity) at the time for me it worked. but since it was a one-trick pony as PCM only, and needed that spendy interconnect, and i liked the GG, i had to move on from it.

happy.....ecstatic.....where i've ended up.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It's more than just a dealer. It works with the manufacturers to produce specific products that are then made available more broadly although they normally get first dibs. I believe some Trinity Golden reference, Robert Koda, Zanden and Gobel products are a direct result of AE and their customer's orders.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
it would be interesting to insert that Trinity dac back into my system today and see how it would do

or better yet Mike, perhaps the GG v 1.5 back into your system and see how it would do (the Trinity as you stated was one dimensional)

Reactions: bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks all, for the info on AE.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
or better yet Mike, perhaps the GG v 1.5 back into your system and see how it would do (the Trinity as you stated was one dimensional)

first of all.....i did NOT say that the Trinity was one dimensional, i said it was a one trick (PCM only) pony. those words have different types of meanings and don't want leave that impression. the Trinity was particularly dimensional sounding.

but..........funny you would mention getting a Lampi in my room again.....

Lukasz from Lampizator will be visiting the Seattle area for a ski trip soon and dropping by for a listening visit, and might bring a dac for me to play with for a few weeks. i need to work out the details but that could well happen. it would be fun hearing a Lampi Pacific or GG2 in my room now.

Last edited:
Reactions: wisnon

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
As i said to Spirit, maybe you don’t know the true about Dietmar personal integrity....
WBF is always finding new stuff to be promoted with doubtful honesty and nobody says anything...

This might happen on other forums but I really don´t think this is the case here Stereophonic.

Regarding Dietmar I think I read somewhere he´s not the nicest chap to deal with but nothing regarding his integrity, he either has it or he doesn´t, not doubting what you know, but I think It´s better to avoid spreading doubts about it without providing proper perspective and facts.

Reactions: nonesup

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing