Musk unveils plans for $10 billion Hyperloop transportation system

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You have to love Elon Musk. What a creative genius

By: Alan Boyle, Science Editor NBC News

Air cushioning: That's the high-concept technology behind the high-speed transit concept that billionaire Elon Musk calls the Hyperloop.

Musk—who already plays leading roles in the SpaceX rocket venture, the Tesla electric car company and the SolarCity solar-energy company—unveiled what he has called the "alpha" version of the Hyperloop plan in a blog post on Monday. It runs to 57 pages as a PDF file.

The plan is aimed at cutting the travel time between San Francisco and Los Angeles to 30 minutes at a price that's less than an airline ticket. Musk said the Hyperloop arrangement could be implemented between any pair of cities situated up to, say, 900 miles (1,500 kilometers) apart. For longer distances, air travel probably would be more efficient, he said.

Musk said he came up with the plan out of frustration with the shortcomings of California's $68 billion high-speed rail project, which is just getting started.

How the Hyperloop would work

The Hyperloop would send travelers through low-pressure tubes in specialized pods that zoom at high subsonic speeds, reaching more than 700 mph (1,100 kilometers per hour). That compares with typical speeds of 110 to 300 mph for high-speed rail travel.

Musk's plan would rev up the pods from their stations using magnetic linear accelerators, but once they're in the main travel tubes, they would be given periodic boosts by external linear electric motors. The pods would also have electric compressor fans mounted on their noses that would transfer high-pressure air from the front to the rear. The journey would be nearly frictionless, thanks to a cushion of air between the cars and the tube's inner surface.

The whole system would be powered by solar panels installed onto the tubes.

"By placing solar panels on top of the tube, the Hyperloop can generate far in excess of the energy needed to operate," Musk wrote.He said the whole system would cost several billion dollars to build.

"Even several billion is a low number when compared with several tens of billion proposed for the track of the California rail project," he wrote.

This combination of technologies is what led Musk to describe the Hyperloop last month as a "cross between a Concorde, a rail gun and an air-hockey table." The hints that he dropped along the way sparked a flurry of speculation about schemes ranging from "Jetsons"-like people movers to underground vacuum tunnels.
One of the closest guesses came from a self-described "tinker" named John Gardi, who laid out a plan for a turbine-driven pneumatic system. "This story has been a classic case of the media not having a clue," Gardi said in a Twitter update just before Musk's big reveal. "I had to come out of semi-retirement to write a GOOD article."

Who'll build the Hyperloop?

Musk says he won't be able to build the Hyperloop himself, because of his duties at SpaceX and Tesla. For now, he's leaving it to others to build upon his initial open-source concept. But if no one picks up the idea and runs with it over the next few years, he might return to the task.

It's possible that the Hyperloop could be held back by technical as well as political and economic issues. Transportation policy experts say that high-speed transit in the United States has been stymied not so much by technological challenges as by the challenges of acquiring rights of way and getting enough money for the required infrastructure.
Nevertheless, high-speed transit projects are beginning to gain traction. California, for example, is continuing with its next-generation rail system, and other states are proceeding with their own high-speed rail initiatives.

I hope they put in some loops and inversions for those of us who can't get enough of roller-coasters.

Open you wallet wider

And the Taxpayer will be raked over the coals again.
- The Feds love to guarantee private loans with our tax dollars.

zz

"World's Largest Vacuum Tube"

:D

Those were fun to watch. The man is certainly the Steve Jobs of transportation. I love that his name creates discussion around such topics. How can we not have advanced high-speed travel beyond the decades old planes and bullet trains?
Indeed. Progress was brought by this kind of visionaries. Kudos Elon!!

Indeed. Progress was brought by this kind of visionaries. Kudos Elon!!

I agree

wasn't it but 2-3 days ago when we were debating the film Elysium and the futuristic adaptation and IIRC it was you Frantz who suggested things like this are a possibility

IMO the man is indeed a visionary

Rockitman, I really thought you were making a pun in your statement about it's impracticality. . . . a long vacuum tube/pipe/pipedream.

Regardless, it was funny to me!

There is a difference between being a visionary futurist and being a dreamer. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and you probably need both, but there is a difference.

If you envision something that won't be practical or possible to implement for 100-200 years you are a dreamer. If you envision something like the automobile that could become or became practical in a couple of decades you are a visionary furturist.

The scientists in the early space program who thought we could go to the moon were visionaries. Gene Roddenberry was a dreamer.

The city models envisioned at the 1939 New York World's Fair were certainly possible to implement but they have never been developed because they either weren't practical to implement or weren't wanted by the public. The same could be said for the Hyperloop transportation system. It may be a good idea but if he thinks it can be implemented for $10B, he is dreaming. The Big Dig was originally supposed to cost $2.8B and take seven years to build. It took 15 years to build and finally cost $14.6B. It took double the time and five times the money. I doubt the Hyperloop will be any better than other construction projects at estimating construction costs especially since it will be the first of its kind. They are going to have a long learning curve on that.

Elon Musk ‘Even More Amazing Than Steve Jobs,’ Says Jurvetson

By Jeff Macke | Breakout

If it wasn't Elon Musk talking, it's safe to say no one would be paying attention to Hyperloop transportation. The rail system that Musk unveiled this week would travel at about 700 miles and hour and take passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 30 minutes. He says he could build the system for $6 billion in one year, less than 10% the cost of the long-planned California High-Speed Rail scheme.
It sounds like a ludicrous fantasy but venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson probably wouldn't bet against Musk on anything. Jurvetson's firm DJF was one of the first investors in Tesla (TSLA) and SpaceX, a company Musk founded in 2002. Forget goofy ideas like Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic that's currently booking trips to suborbital space for $250,000. SpaceX plans to change humankind.
Once again the ambitions are out of this world and the man behind the scenes is Elon Musk.

"Elon Musk is a remarkable individual," Jurvetson says with considerable understatement. "[He's] the founder of Tesla and SpaceX and SolarCity (SCTY) and PayPal; all different industries and billion dollar successes. It's breathtaking just to think of him as an entrepreneur coming from South Africa to the United States and doing all of this."
SpaceX isn't a blueprint or PDF file. The company is approaching $5 billion in revenue backlog and has been generating cash for the last six years. Jurvetson says SpaceX is already a resounding success.
"It's a great business. They look to be the future of the U.S. space program," he says. "They're inspiring a nation and they're going to colonize Mars. They're literally going to make humanity a multi-planetary species. That's something you can't say about any other start-up."
For now SpaceX is sticking to the prosaic work of taking over NASA's old stomping grounds of launching satellites and shipping cargo and crude to the Space Station. Jurvetson isn't in the business of funding dreams. He's a venture capitalist and his record suggests he is very, very good at it.
Jurvetson worked with Steve Jobs at NeXT and later Apple (AAPL). He knew Steve Jobs, and in his view, Elon Musk is no Steve Jobs.
"Elon Musk is even more amazing as an individual. Imagine if Steve Jobs did everything he did and also revolutionized agriculture and commercial banking," Jurveston says, "that's the kind of thing Elon has done."
Musk doesn't tweak industries. He thinks in terms of how they should work then simply builds according to his vision. In that context a Hyperloop train is something Musk could doodle on a cocktail napkin and still make it work.
In the immediate future SpaceX plans to launch more, smaller satellites that would enable things like real-time monitoring of crops, volcanoes and hot spots like the Fukushima plant in Japan. "[It's] cloud services above the clouds, if you will," Jurvetson says, "this big data blanket of information about our planet to better monitor it, understand it and track what's happening."
It's a vision equal parts inspiring and horrifying. What's Elon Musk going to do next? From the sounds of it pretty much whatever he wants.

Moving at 700 mph through air is quite safe, because air is a forgiving medium, and while there may be some bumps along the flight, the structure is built to flex through them. It's quite something else to achieve the kind of reliable path required to move at that speed along firm ground, where the slightest irregularity will be a problem.

Elon Musk is a dreamer - who has built an impracticably fast electric car (well, two with a 4x4 coming). If you drive its speed, you empty its battery swiftly. So you have to drive significantly below its capabilities to stretch range - that's weird. So the compensation is free recharges, which somehow makes up for the fact that you have to spend quite a bit of time recharging.

But it's quite a car, I've driven the Tesla, and had fun with it.

The rocket going up, that lands from where it took off: there's a reason why the space shuttles would glide back to Earth. If you want to do the kind of landing that the boomerang rocket promises, you will expend as much energy taking it down, as was spent sending it into orbit, that's how physics work. (The shuttles burned across the sky demonstrating the energies involved, at the mercy of their ceramic tiles.) And that's why NASA landed what was essentially a tin-can on the Moon.
So what will the payload be of the boomerang rocket - a pea?

Musk is the Malachi Constant of Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan ...

I've had my Model S since February. Musk named it as an homage to Henry Ford's Model T. The thrill of the ride is between 0 and 30 or 40-70 - accelerating onto the freeway, when the car jumps -instantaneous torque. You don't have to go 100 mph+, although you can, with the same kind of percentage mileage penalty as any car at that speed. I am getting about 85 miles per electric gallon, which costs me about $2.65 for the electric gallon at 10 cents/kwh, actually a bit less because I have solar on the roof of the house (from another Musk company, Solar City).

The stereo system has two USB inputs. I have a 2TB portable drive, about half full, with about 1500 CD's of uncompressed flac and wav files at 16/44 and a set (of the Beatles albums) at 24/44. Sound is pretty good. It doesn't do hirez, so i can't play all my vinyl rips at 192/24. You can flip through the album covers on the 17" screen and it will sort by album or song or by the folder where you have CD's located. Lots of fun, my wife is even enjoying driving it.

What I have liked about Musk so far is that he has been a practical visionary, adapting his dreams that he started in high school and college to the practical capitalist world, taking advantage of changing conditions (like the US abandoning the Space Shuttle or tax credits for EV's and solar panels) not afraid to shake things up, but within the context of a successful business model. I'm definitely not betting against him.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing