My end-game speakers

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
OK, since you're a dealer, may I ask: What are the minimum recommended distances:
1) side-wall to the speaker
2) back-wall to the speaker
3) in-between speakers
4) listening position (to speakers)
Thanks!
1) and 2) are very flexible. They can sit close to both the back and sidewalls without issue.
3) and 4) will be somewhat related for a balanced presentation. 4) is a critical measurement with any horn loudspeaker system; with the Wagner II I find about 6.5 feet (2 meters) or greater works well.

Generally, the Wagner is designed for real-world rooms and I think you'd find it works quite well in yours.

Reactions: PierreB

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Glad to hear it can be done in the real world"!
I'm sure not all of us can have a dedicated "music" room, yet we'd like to enjoy the music!... as much as it may be possible!
Pre-pandemic I often had people over to play foosball and the big YGs were always on, and will be again whenever it ends. In fact they are on about 15 hours a day, for dedicated listening and background and everything in between (no tubes in my system)

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Ummh... I presume you meant "Wagner I" (as in ONE), right?
The main Cessaro website is a bit out of date. The Wagner speaker is now on version II (as in TWO) but aesthetically looks very similar to the photos.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
2nd the call for Wilson Benesch Resolutions - preferred them to similar priced YG, Magico, Wilson etc when I was looking.

Whilst on paper WB don't look anything special in terms of efficiency, their very simple cross-over means they are pretty straightforward to drive. Whilst I haven't heard the combination, I think they'd work well with the Luxman.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I recommend Von Schweikert and Evolution Acoustics as they can be placed closer to walls due to their adjustability. Models include multiple bass adjustments and rear firing ambiance tweeter adjustment. The VR55 or E5, or MM2 or MM3 could fit nicely in the "pocket" area of your room. I also recommend eliminating the closet and extending the room to 15' width. That would be a big benefit.

Reactions: LeoDuran

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Horning Eufrodites. Best horn-type speaker I’ve ever heard. Fast, dynamic, wholly transparent and highly efficient. I listen to my pair in my studio 10 hours a day for almost 2 years and still can’t believe how good they are. No fatigue at all. Never heard a better speaker. Best kept secret in audio in my view. I’ve been told the Wagner horn speaker Is very good. High Water Sound in NY area carries Wagner and Horning. You could check with Jeffrey there who runs High Water Sound.

Reactions: gestalt

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Wouldn’t MBL be on the short list? A pair of genelecs mounted on the ceilin, idk

LeoDuran

Apr 7, 2020
After lots of reading, I find the Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 the most intriguing (i.e., tunable) for my room situation.
I wish I could say that based on actual auditions. but oh well!

Thanks again for all the constructive feedback!

Reactions: Holli82

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Congrats, I think my meridian dsp8000se are keepers.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I would look at the Alexia 2s or Sasha DAWs too.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
After lots of reading, I find the Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 the most intriguing (i.e., tunable) for my room situation.
I wish I could say that based on actual auditions. but oh well!

Thanks again for all the constructive feedback!
Those are very good.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Leo,
For me you are spending a substantial amount of money on audio equipment to let it be in 2nd position.

If the "L" is 12' wide the pool table would fit there comfortable. You MAY have an issue if you need to shoot directly side to side on the table with the que ball stuck to the rail. Not a common occurrence.
If you do that, you have a room long enough to get the speakers out from the wall and a good distance for seating.

Just depends whether getting the sound you are paying for is less important than pool table clearance.

Just my opinion, Brad

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One thought would be Rockport Lyra. I have heard the Altair 2 twice in 2 different rooms as well as the Rockport Arrakis...and I was extremely impressed each time. Once, I believe the Altair was in a room not dissimilar in size to yours. And with your amplification, I could see Rockports being quite a great match. While I have not heard the Lyra, having spoken with Andy Payor a few times, and with loads of Rockport owners over the years...and again having heard the earlier Altair 2s...i have to say the Lyra is by all accounts a phenomenally good speaker and its size could work well in your space. Add subs if you wish as you have the room...and you could be in for something absolutely spectacular.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Just wanted to close the loop on this old thread... I decided to just keep with my Quad 2905s.
I added a pair of REL subs, and the combo makes for very satisfying music!
View attachment 113805
The End!
Journey of audiophiles never ends.

Please consider to get one additional Luxman M-10X, to make them a monoblock pair.

I listened and compared the stereo vs mono configs.
The latter is NOT only about powerfulness, but it's about effortlessness & realness.
Worth considering!
;)

IMG_20230719_010627.jpg

LeoDuran

Apr 7, 2020
I hear you!.. Famous last words, right? :)
But seriously, the Quads seem fine with a single (stereo) amp, especially since the RELs are taking care of the bottom end.
(Anyway, I won't dismiss your suggestion... Thanks for the feedback)

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Journey of audiophiles never ends.

Please consider to get one additional Luxman M-10X, to make them a monoblock pair.

I listened and compared the stereo vs mono configs.
The latter is NOT only about powerfulness, but it's about effortlessness & realness.
Worth considering!
;)

View attachment 113869
If the M10X is anything like its older brother the M900U and you decide to buy a second, try running them in stereo and use only 1 channel per speaker. I found this combination better than running each in mono in terms of overall sonics, especially clarity.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@sbo6 to be clear (to me), your preference with the m900s was: run both amps in stereo, with left output from one amp to left speaker, and right output of one amp to right speaker? Hmmm. Have not tried that. And no downsides? Cheers...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing