My new ride !!

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Amazing system. Out of interest are you contemplating changing the preamp to either the Momentum HD or the new Relentless matching one out shortly?

I was using the Ref 40 with my M400's but am in the process of changing to the Momentum HD.
Marc.

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
Amazing system. Out of interest are you contemplating changing the preamp to either the Momentum HD or the new Relentless matching one out shortly?

I was using the Ref 40 with my M400's but am in the process of changing to the Momentum HD.
Marc.
So. That is a great question. Especially since left channel out of nowhere not working on pre we using dcs as pre for now. My guess is if i try and like as long as i get full credit toward new relentless pre i might make swap. I hear its coming nov dec.

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
So. That is a great question. Especially since left channel out of nowhere not working on pre we using dcs as pre for now. My guess is if i try and like as long as i get full credit toward new relentless pre i might make swap. I hear its coming nov dec.

So I spent considerable time doing the demo with the Momentum HD preamp. I always said I would never sell my Ref40 (I hear you laughing now, why would any audiophile say 'I would never buy another piece of equipment!), however it really is a massive step up in terms of performance. Infact mine is due to arrive in the next 2 weeks.

I can only imagine what the new Relentless preamp would be like - I hear it is a 3 box set-up. With the level of your system and amplification this is probably the way to go, however the baby brother which I have is a serious piece of kit. Maybe see if your dealer can lend you one whilst you wait for the repair of the Ref40 / release of new preamp. At least you will be able to ascertain the differences.

Btw I also have a full DCS Vivaldi stack, running Magico S7's with full Transparent Reference / Opus cabling
M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: gian60

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
So I spent considerable time doing the demo with the Momentum HD preamp. I always said I would never sell my Ref40 (I hear you laughing now, why would any audiophile say 'I would never buy another piece of equipment!), however it really is a massive step up in terms of performance. Infact mine is due to arrive in the next 2 weeks.

I can only imagine what the new Relentless preamp would be like - I hear it is a 3 box set-up. With the level of your system and amplification this is probably the way to go, however the baby brother which I have is a serious piece of kit. Maybe see if your dealer can lend you one whilst you wait for the repair of the Ref40 / release of new preamp. At least you will be able to ascertain the differences.

Btw I also have a full DCS Vivaldi stack, running Magico S7's with full Transparent Reference / Opus cabling
M.
Sounds great. Yes thats what im going to do. Ar i have anniversary preamp. I loved it. Not sure how it compares to the 40. I had a vtl pre also with my original siegfrieds but that presamp was not dynamic enough compared to the ar.

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Sounds great. Yes thats what im going to do. Ar i have anniversary preamp. I loved it. Not sure how it compares to the 40. I had a vtl pre also with my original siegfrieds but that presamp was not dynamic enough compared to the ar.
The Ref40 is the anniversary preamp . It takes a lot to better that preamp, however the D'Agostino certainly does.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Hedgedrew66!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow - I can see you also like the Transparent Audio power cables ... I have tried several systems with the Vivaldi stack but always return to the Audio Research REF40 . It is not the nicest sounding, but IMHO by far the more realistic. But I never had in my system the new D'Agostino Momentum preamplifier that was playing in the WAMM system I listened and also impressed me a lot.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The REF40 is the nickname of the Anniversary preamplfier. I should not say it, as I am trying to sell the VTL 7.5 mk3 :oops: , but I also preferred the Anniversary in my system, although the VTL could show more detail of the recording - surely it is less colored.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro. Professor. Sir. Wake up. Wake up. Time to be out of the dream now.

Tang :p

No, my dream only included the XVX ... ;)

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I also had the left channel go out on my Ref40 late last year and sent it back to Minnesota to get fixed. Seems a tube went bad and took out one of the boards too. I got a Boulder 1110 in February and have not used the Ref40 since.

That is an amazing hifi.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
Looks fabulous! I love the jacara orange. I see a center imaging trap. Are the wall panels also acoustical?

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
Wow - I can see you also like the Transparent Audio power cables ... I have tried several systems with the Vivaldi stack but always return to the Audio Research REF40 . It is not the nicest sounding, but IMHO by far the more realistic. But I never had in my system the new D'Agostino Momentum preamplifier that was playing in the WAMM system I listened and also impressed me a lot.
Ya. That preamp when i heard it was like wow.

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
I also had the left channel go out on my Ref40 late last year and sent it back to Minnesota to get fixed. Seems a tube went bad and took out one of the boards too. I got a Boulder 1110 in February and have not used the Ref40 since.

That is an amazing hifi.
Thank you. Interesting. You like boulder better ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing