Natural Sound

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
No, that means you are having to play above realistic levels to get satisfying clarity at low levels and so have to “ride the gain”. Or your system is distorting on peaks and is perceived as “too loud”.
Definitely not distorting. And definitely a choice to crank it up.

Reactions: Folsom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
occasionally, I crank it even more because there is less distortion lower noise and I can get closer to more realistic volumes.

Btw, you could also have written this as "your noise floor dropped", because this is what happens when it drops

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Depends on the recording. I’m not a one right room volume kind of guy. It also depends on which cartridge I’m using. The range is between about 8 o’clock and 11 o’clock on the volume control.
Same. Different equipment, but my nominal volume setting varies with the record. The range is around 10:00 to 12:00. Plenty to spare.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Looks like on the spl meter, I'm getting peaks in the 100s from a comfortable nominal volume.
But the soft end of the range is louder now or the same as before?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the suggestion. I wrote less distortion lower noise. Is that different from noise for dropped?

Oh ok. I thought you were against that term in the audiophile language thread though I might have been mistaken because I didn't read those threads carefully

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Oh ok. I thought you were against that term in the audiophile language thread though I might have been mistaken because I didn't read those threads carefully

I am against replacing lower noise with the phrase blacker background. I get denigrated for this distinction. To me lower noise never results in loss of information. However, sometimes when the background gets blacker, it is the result of less information. Most people ignore me when I write about this.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am against replacing lower noise with the phrase blacker background. I get denigrated for this distinction. To me lower noise never results in loss of information. However, sometimes when the background gets blacker, it is the result of less information. Most people ignore me when I write about this.

Ok understand

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Depends on the recording. I’m not a one right room volume kind of guy. It also depends on which cartridge I’m using. The range is between about 8 o’clock and 11 o’clock on the volume control.

It is not I was asking. I asked how many clicks did you change your average volume after you made changes in mains.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is not I was asking. I asked how many clicks did you change your average volume after you made changes in mains.
My experience echoed Brian's and Peter's. Now my volume on Lamm pre goes up two - three clicks.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Noise and distortion are not necessarily mutually inclusive. And blacker background does usually mean a loss of resolution. It's often caused by saturation issues, or adding lots of noise (like antennas, aka kitty litter boxes).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My experience echoed Brian's and Peter's. Now my volume on Lamm pre goes up two - three clicks.

Well, Peter wrote that "The volume control is actually slightly lower", not up. As far as I remember Steve reported a decrease in the usual volume level after he perfected his cables.

Do you have measurements of the typical peak values when you listen to classical?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well, Peter wrote that "The volume control is actually slightly lower", not up. As far as I remember Steve reported a decrease in the usual volume level after he perfected his cables.

Do you have measurements of the typical peak values when you listen to classical?
How many dB is each click? Whether one person's is up and another's is down is pretty irrelevant without measuring. Peter also made a point of commenting on lower level listening, which isn't a priority for many other people. It sure isn't a priority for me. So this becomes a matter of preference more than anything. Mine is up, I would guess. But that's probably a result of liking how it sounds at higher volume more now than before. Or it could be "new toy" syndrome ... Wanting to really hear what it can do now.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Dear Micro. You should know that I am no measurement person by now. I used to set my Lamm pre which you also have one at 9 o'clock or one click below. Now I enjoy playing louder at 2 clicks above 9 o'clock. If I remember correctly David also said he plays at around 10 o'clock. But as you know this depends on the speaker sensitivity of one's system and also preference on loudness.

In my case, better quality electricity does not give me any more loudness at all. The clean power gives me more clarity and sense of stillness. Somehow when I play louder it springs to life even mors.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear Micro. You should know that I am no measurement person by now. I used to set my Lamm pre which you also have one at 9 o'clock or one click below. Now I enjoy playing louder at 2 clicks above 9 o'clock. If I remember correctly David also said he plays at around 10 o'clock. But as you know this depends on the speaker sensitivity of one's system and also preference on loudness.

Dear Tango,

It is why I just asked for simple peak readings of a soundmeter. It is not harder to do then making a mobile phone movie - there are many applications for any type of phone.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
We are slowly returning my listening room into a more welcoming living room for my family and guests. The latest addition is a mahogany Butler's Tray table in front of the sofa. I am now working on better lighting and looking for two heavy brass pharmacy lamps for each side of the sofa and a task light for the audio rack.

In a room such as mine, where space is limited, the corner horns are proving to be an ideal solution. The system is in the background, but the sound and music are front and center when listening. This is an early example of a "lifestyle" system.

View attachment 80403

View attachment 80404
Hey Peter,

In every video of your system playing music (which sounds totally class by the way), the front and sides are up on the mahogany butler's table. Are we to assume some sort of reflection off upper surface when they are down or just easily tripped over?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hey Peter,

In every video of your system playing music (which sounds totally class by the way), the front and sides are up on the mahogany butler's table. Are we to assume some sort of reflection off upper surface when they are down or just easily tripped over?

Interesting question, Rensselaer. I have not really tested it. The table is usually off on the side of the sofa used as a side table. When in front of the sofa, I lower the back side to put my feet up. I do adjust the wooden slats on one window blind for tone on occasion.

Reactions: Rensselaer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing