Natural Sound

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Here is some Big Band: Art Pepper plus Eleven. Same two cartridges. C or D?

Video C:

Video D:

Found the preference to C doing big band also, just seeming more expressive and having more swagger and bite than the performance in D which sounds great but perhaps a shade less so (though the sounds are great)… without C as reference for the comparison I’d have very much enjoyed D and probably not drawn that distinction. Thanks for the big band, it’s the first live music I was exposed to pre school and we regularly rocked along to hear my uncle play piano for the Alpine big band and Daly Wilson big bands here in large outdoor concerts, my brother and sister and I would be swinging along to the music not even realising till later when we discovered rock and pub bands just how daggy we were being lol. Love that big band swagger, your system is doing it and capturing the spirit of it beautifully

Reactions: PeterA

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Here we can try again with the two Holst Planets Uranus videos.

Video A:

Video B:

The fullness and rich tones of the Ortofon wave wash over you without rushing it and you feel the mass as it covers you in comparison vdH is too lean and without the weight and substance there’s nothing to cover you with and almost seems as if it’s rushing to get through the piece. The vdH remains my favorite modern day cartridge but IMO it’s lacking some of the naturalness yesteryear’s gems from the golden age have. The counterpoint to that is that the Ortofon needs a very precise setup and a first class natural sounding system or it will come across as dull and rolled off, the vdH on the other hand will sing in many more setups!

david

Last edited:

jdza

May 3, 2010
The fullness and rich tones of the Ortofon wave wash over you without rushing it and you feel the mass as it covers you in comparison vdH is too lean and without the weight and substance there’s nothing to cover you with and almost spins as if it’s rushing to get through the piece. The vdH remains my favorite modern day cartridge but IMO it’s lacking some of the naturalness yesteryear’s gems from the golden age. The counterpoint to that is that the Ortofon needs a very precise setup and a first class natural sounding system or it will come across as dull and rolled off, the vdH on the other hand will sing in many more setups!

david
Amazing! One paragraph, no one portion of one sentence, to sum up the sound of a component so accurately. No, I did and do not watch videos but own similar to what DDK discusses.Others take page upon page of review and still not nail it. I suppose that is the difference between reviewing as entertainment and living with a product.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
i like the ortofon presentation very much, i'm always impressed how ortofon has managed to breathe reality into music for over 60 years.
I'm a big fan, their pickups are never boring not all 're perfect for my taste, but i never say its sounds tonality false.
sorry the only van den hul cart sounds great for me is the frog copper. most of them are too bright for me. in a darker tuned system they may convince.
not my cup of tea,it's just my opinion not generally valid;)

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I think you should try an spu. Conical tip gm mk ii or vintage. Will (probably) create a tad more needle drag and you may need to tighten up the dental floss.

Also if your amplification is full of sovteks then you’ll need to get that sorted.

Reactions: bonzo75

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
T
I think you should try an spu. Conical tip gm mk ii or vintage. Will (probably) create a tad more needle drag and you may need to tighten up the dental floss.

Also if your amplification is full of sovteks then you’ll need to get that sorted.
Thanks, my tip get this sounds like a spu with more attack and detail.
When like voices that thing makes goosebumps gurantee ,ortonfon venice
sorry for offtopic. ortofon_venice7qy20.jpg

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The fullness and rich tones of the Ortofon wave wash over you without rushing it and you feel the mass as it covers you in comparison vdH is too lean and without the weight and substance there’s nothing to cover you with and almost seems as if it’s rushing to get through the piece. The vdH remains my favorite modern day cartridge but IMO it’s lacking some of the naturalness yesteryear’s gems from the golden age have. The counterpoint to that is that the Ortofon needs a very precise setup and a first class natural sounding system or it will come across as dull and rolled off, the vdH on the other hand will sing in many more setups!

david

Dear David,

How are you listening to Peter’s videos?

I am listening on an iPhone X using non-audiophile headphones, and I am having a lot of trouble hearing differences between these two particular pairs of videos.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear David,

I am listening on an iPhone X using non-audiophile headphones, and I am having a lot of trouble hearing differences between these two particular pairs of videos.

This time levels are not scandalous different, you have to work harder to separate them. But they sound different.

Reactions: morricab

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David,

Dear Ron,
Nothing special, I listen on my iPhone 11 when I’m out or on my computer with a now vintage Telefunken sound bar. Not keen on any headphones. I know both phone’s and the sound bar’s qualities well and that helps me assess what I’m hearing, not always about the gear.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Ron,
Nothing special, I listen on my iPhone 11 when I’m out or on my computer with a now vintage Telefunken sound bar. Not keen on any headphones. I know both phone’s and the sound bar’s qualities well and that helps me assess what I’m hearing, not always about the gear.

david

Thank you, David.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Found the preference to C doing big band also, just seeming more expressive and having more swagger and bite than the performance in D which sounds great but perhaps a shade less so (though the sounds are great)… without C as reference for the comparison I’d have very much enjoyed D and probably not drawn that distinction. Thanks for the big band, it’s the first live music I was exposed to pre school and we regularly rocked along to hear my uncle play piano for the Alpine big band and Daly Wilson big bands here in large outdoor concerts, my brother and sister and I would be swinging along to the music not even realising till later when we discovered rock and pub bands just how daggy we were being lol. Love that big band swagger, your system is doing it and capturing the spirit of it beautifully
To me D sounds more like live musicians in the room and C is more congested, particularly on busier sections that breaks that illusion. Also, the horns don’t have the bite of live like in D.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
To me D sounds more like live musicians in the room and C is more congested, particularly on busier sections that breaks that illusion. Also, the horns don’t have the bite of live like in D.

Thank you Brad for sharing your impressions. What do you think of the Planets and solo violin? I am sure nothing like your former girlfriend's playing.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have been spending a lot of time listening to the new turntable and comparing these cartridges. Last night I went out for a sail to enjoy the good weather. This incredible classic wooden yacht from the 1920s tied up at the end of my street. A great example of what is best.

Our classic 13 foot Boston Whaler from 1987 is in the foreground, third from the left with the canvas cover to protect the brightwork. We use it to get out to the sailboat.

1660271619252.jpeg
1660271667373.jpeg

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have been spending a lot of time listening to the new turntable and comparing these cartridges. Last night I went out for a sail to enjoy the good weather. This incredible classic wooden yacht from the 1920s tied up at the end of my street. A great example of what is best.

Our classic 13 foot Boston Whaler from 1987 is in the foreground, third from the left with the canvas cover to protect the brightwork. We use it to get out to the sailboat.

View attachment 96752
View attachment 96753
If I had this, I would out everyday. Gorgeous yacht!

• Haha
Reactions: tima and ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If I had this, I would out everyday. Gorgeous yacht!

I met the owners who are sailing up the East Coast. They told me to have a look inside as they walked to dinner. I went on board and looked down below. It looks like it sleeps eight with plenty of headroom. Sparse but absolutely gorgeous. Understated elegance with zero bling. This is a survivor that is rare and coveted. Timeless beauty that never gets old.

1660274417386.jpeg

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
I don't know if it is called a ship or boat, but your yacht is very beautiful and despite me being a music and gear lover it impresses me more than your equipment and I think your equipment is top notch.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

View attachment 96752
View attachment 96753

Why would you want something like that, when tekmology has moved on so much, and you can have a nice power boat in plastic with built in jacuzzi and jet skis … ?

Same thing: why mock about with vintage corner horns when you can have this with built in dsp and 8200 watts?

Or this for the same money or more?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PeterA and tima

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Why would you want something like that, when tekmology has moved on so much, and you can have a nice power boat in plastic with built in jacuzzi and jet skis … ?

Same thing: why mock about with vintage corner horns when you can have this with built in dsp and 8200 watts?

Or this for the same money or more?

Haha. Because Peter has taste.

Reactions: tima

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you Brad for sharing your impressions. What do you think of the Planets and solo violin? I am sure nothing like your former girlfriend's playing.
Hi Peter,
I prefer B for the Holst, it has more complexity in the tone of the instruments, like the bassoons at the beginning. I prefer A for the violin, more open on the top strings and it sounds like there is more recorded ambience captured.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing