Natural Sound

Ergo part of the Lamm Sound signature DNA … In respect I am reminded of a slightly more refined souped up 1947 Williamson .
Well, the SETs are clearly not Williamson and the use of a 2nd 6C33C as an output stage voltage regulator is pretty unique at least for commercial designs.

Reactions: Audiohertz2
How is a lamm amp reminding someone of another (albeit souped up) amp a metaphor?
Yes metaphors don't suggest that one thing is like another, they say that one thing IS another. You are dealing with some deeply ignorant people here.

I think you missed the point. I used to work for the architecture firm that designed all of Tower Record stores in the US. They shut down while we were told of the superiority of CDs. The industry moved on in the name of progress, but people still covet the old technology.
You're right- I did.

Yes- that was a debacle. I think when the industry decided to limit LP sales back in the 1990s, it hurt them. Amongst audiophiles it eroded what trust might have existed...

It took a while to sort out all the bugs in CDs and digital recording. Some of them simply took time; back in the 80s making a really stable clock (fundamentally important for digital to work) simply wasn't possible on the cheap. These days it is. But if you think about it, when the cassette came out it was simply for dictation. It was a few years before the industry got the recorders and formulations good enough that it became the dominant media in the US for quite some time.
It is impossible to have any known transistor have the same kind of output as a tube to this day. The transistors work in a linear fashion together, but have to tamed otherwise. A single one on it's own without any kind of feedback will just shoot off into the stars. A tube on the other hand basically only needs a tiny bit to make it stable in the circuit, not with itself. The point being you cannot make the output damping the same no matter what you do. Obviously certain things can help some like class A operation but even the Lamms are limited in power in class A. The voltage gain at 39/31 tells us that he is applying a tasteful amount of feedback, if it where zero (and you have infinite cooling) then it would be much higher gain. The more feedback the lower the gain as a basic principle in solid state.
[emphasis added] I think this bit is incorrect. Exceptions are JFET transistors (which the industry doesn't seem to like to make these days) that had linearity that was quite good, to the point that it was possible in 1970 to build a zero feedback preamp using them. This kind of preamp was found in a Sunn solid state amplifier, which was known for a very smooth 'tube like' sound amongst guitar players. The second device of course is the VFET (also know as a Static Induction Transistor or SIT). It had linearity very similar to a triode tube and even had soft clipping. It did/does not have the rugged nature of a tube, the latter of which can handle electrical abuse and survive in the way that semiconductors simply cannot.

Nelson Pass has been designing circuits with a single device and no feedback, and by all reports seem to sound quite good. Some of those circuits are quite simple and have a lot in common with SETs. One such circuit (not designed by Nelson) employs incandescent lamps to facilitate the operation of the device.

It has been possible for some time to make solid state amps that sound just like tubes in every way but the understanding that was important and the will to do so did not exist.

How is a lamm amp reminding someone of another (albeit souped up) amp a metaphor?

Quite simply … my analogy did not revolved around merely linking the circuit topology and component hardware of a circa 1947 Williamson amplifier with a 2020’s all valve Lamm amplifier , as you seemed to have allude to earlier

I was however linking the two , by past personal exposure and comparison in person ( Tho Not real time A Vs B) , and by several In room / system recordings published on eBay by the odd Lamm owner , for the most part by PP and TT …. Of Lamm amplification , with the audio amplification profile of a 1947 Williamson valve amplifier.

For my part I consider there to be more than enough of a sonic resemblance in the audio spectrum and real world performance between the two Lamm amplifiers that I have heard Viz : ML2 and ML 2.1 and two disparate pairs of vintage 47 Williamson amplifiers that I owned for several years … and that persuaded me to make reference of the these disparate amplifiers as resembling each other … ergo a metaphor between the two .

Those similarities being … IMHO … An increasingly rolled off output in the upper octaves, together with a marked drop off in bass clarity and extension Albee that load / speaker dependant , a saturated tone and texture in the fundamental and harmonic of the mid octaves, which works particularly well with certain genres of recording , Jazz , Crooner , Light Classical , tho less convincing of Larger Scale Orchestral Classical .

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dic...a figure of speech in,as in drowning in money)

"The mind is an ocean" and "the city is a jungle" and a Lamm 2.1 is a 1947 Williamson within my own personal consideration of the two.

Yes metaphors don't suggest that one thing is like another, they say that one thing IS another.

And what about Simile?

I myself don't have the mental fortitude and the capacity to master such a diverse range of expert topics as some forum members (I'm dumb in other words), so I'm forced to concede to AI and ask ChatGPT o1-Preview his thoughts on metaphors and how it relates to the pertinent discussion in this thread:

"You are correct, and I appreciate your clarification. The comparison to a "souped up 1947 Williamson" is a direct reference to another amplifier, making it a literal comparison rather than a metaphor. Both the Lamm amplifier and the 1947 Williamson amplifier are audio equipment, so the statement is relating two similar entities within the same context.

-------------

Yes, the phrase "You are my moon and stars" is a metaphor. Here's why:
  • Figurative Comparison: In this expression, a person is being compared to celestial bodies—the moon and stars—which is a figurative way to convey their importance, beauty, or guidance in the speaker's life.
  • Different Domains: The comparison crosses domains—from a person to astronomical objects—which is characteristic of metaphorical language. The person is not literally the moon and stars but embodies qualities associated with them.
  • Implied Meaning: The moon and stars often symbolize light in darkness, guidance, constancy, and wonder. By calling someone "my moon and stars," the speaker implies that the person brings these qualities into their life.
In contrast to the earlier example where two amplifiers were compared—both belonging to the same category—the phrase "You are my moon and stars" uses imagery from nature to describe personal feelings, making it metaphorical."

Reactions: Rensselaer
I myself don't have the mental fortitude and the capacity to master such a diverse range of expert topics as some forum members (I'm dumb in other words), so I'm forced to concede to AI and ask ChatGPT o1-Preview his thoughts on metaphors and how it relates to the pertinent discussion in this thread:

"You are correct, and I appreciate your clarification. The comparison to a "souped up 1947 Williamson" is a direct reference to another amplifier, making it a literal comparison rather than a metaphor. Both the Lamm amplifier and the 1947 Williamson amplifier are audio equipment, so the statement is relating two similar entities within the same context.

-------------

Yes, the phrase "You are my moon and stars" is a metaphor. Here's why:
  • Figurative Comparison: In this expression, a person is being compared to celestial bodies—the moon and stars—which is a figurative way to convey their importance, beauty, or guidance in the speaker's life.
  • Different Domains: The comparison crosses domains—from a person to astronomical objects—which is characteristic of metaphorical language. The person is not literally the moon and stars but embodies qualities associated with them.
  • Implied Meaning: The moon and stars often symbolize light in darkness, guidance, constancy, and wonder. By calling someone "my moon and stars," the speaker implies that the person brings these qualities into their life.
In contrast to the earlier example where two amplifiers were compared—both belonging to the same category—the phrase "You are my moon and stars" uses imagery from nature to describe personal feelings, making it metaphorical."

When you say you are my moon and stars, that is a metaphor. When you say you look like a full moon and I look like a Star, that is a Simile

Reactions: Thundersnow
metaphor
noun [ C or U ]

UK

/ˈmet.ə.fɔːr/ US

/ˈmet̬.ə.fɔːr/

Add to word list
C2
an expression, often found in literature, that describes a person or object by referring to something that is considered to have similar characteristics to that person or object:

Ergo *my* opinion being that *I Consider* that the audible amplification signature of *Object 1* A Williamson Amplifier circa 1947 being subjectively *Similar Enough In Audible Characteristics* to *Object 2* AN Lamm ML2 and ML 2.1

The basics are fairly simple. If the word ‘like’ or ‘as’ are employed, you’re probably dealing with simile. ‘Strong as an ox’ and ‘Stinks like a skunk’ are examples of simile.

‘Love is a battlefield’, ‘She is an angel’ and ‘Life is a bed of roses’ are examples of metaphor.

And In This Instance Two Disparate Amplifier Circuits Viz :

A Williamson amplifier Four Stage , Push Pull Amplifier Utilising Triode Connected / Strapped KT66 Output Valves Is A Lamm amplifier Single Stage , SE Amplifier Utilising 6C33C Triode Output Valves.

Ergo Metaphor enough In My Opinion ;)

‘Strong as an ox’ and ‘Stinks like a skunk’ are examples of simile.
Similes with Dodo are more appropriate on an audio forum.

So you have changed your mind, and now you find ChatGPT authoritative?

No, I was joking, and judging from the posts that immediately follow, the matter is clearly not settled. But, I see that you are keeping tabs on your members. When I do change my mind, which is what this system thread is all about, I can be sure that you will be the authority to point it out to everyone. Your Resnickian vigilance is duly noted.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tima and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu