Natural Sound

No. That is ridiculous. No manufacturer decreases sensitivity on purpose (efficiency is not exactly the same, and there is no rating given to the public).

YOU may think it was not for an improvement in sound, but Wilson would disagree. They change drivers and crossover design to push the evolution of sound quality. Some thought older tweeters were harsh at different times but the new ones do not get that criticism. Guess what driver typically is easier to tame from ringing but at the cost of sensitivity? Tweeters without acoustical gain are a somewhat finicky device that basically determines every speakers sensitivity. All the other drivers can have limits but in other frequency range you can multiply the drivers to increase it or limit the bandwidth and adjust the driver. Tweeters on the other hand already only play a select region, and you cannot add more of them without causing horrific problems. The best you can do is have a line shape with no breaks in it (tiny braces do not affect it), without any sort of forced directivity. Sometimes the answer is very minor acoustic gain from a tiny amounts of directivity to get them to match other drivers to save some sensitivity - this is because a tweeter can have high sensitivity in a range you cannot cross to so it inherently has to be brought down if the mid cannot go high enough in hz to meet it.

There is no benefit to reduced sensitivity in itself. No one is making a speaker and just trying to reduce it for arbitrary reasons. In fact you cannot just insert a resistor without changing the shape of all the responses from all the drivers. It is extra work that is just unnecessary. They typically lose plenty to make a speaker work from the start and none of them want to be pigeon holed to a tiny subset of amplifiers.
Wilson is a good example, IMO, of a brand that had an awesome sounding speaker (the original X1 Grand SLAMM) which would work well even with low powered amps and made their speakers progressively less sensitive and arguably better measuring but, again IMO, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have a friend who owned the MKI version of the X1 and it sounded really alive and worked well with a mid-power SET or push pull triode amp. Later models (X2, XLF etc.) progressively lost this capability.

Reactions: Amir and PeterA
Reactions: Atmasphere
And record stores lost customers going from LPs to CDs. I guess the CD manufacturers thought that was progress. Now we stream. More progress.
Record stores are doing pretty well in this town, FWIW.

Eventually digital did get good enough that its enjoyable (digital clock stability is easily two orders magnitude more stable than it was in the mid 1990s, which helped a lot...). Hard to imagine that wouldn't eventually happen with other tech too.

Wilson is a good example, IMO, of a brand that had an awesome sounding speaker (the original X1 Grand SLAMM) which would work well even with low powered amps and made their speakers progressively less sensitive and arguably better measuring but, again IMO, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have a friend who owned the MKI version of the X1 and it sounded really alive and worked well with a mid-power SET or push pull triode amp. Later models (X2, XLF etc.) progressively lost this capability.

Now that is fair. They went from lower power friendly to less lower power friendly, while shaping the sound to be more compatible with less subdued high frequency devices. One should wonder about offering both for market share.

Record stores are doing pretty well in this town, FWIW.

Eventually digital did get good enough that its enjoyable (digital clock stability is easily two orders magnitude more stable than it was in the mid 1990s, which helped a lot...). Hard to imagine that wouldn't eventually happen with other tech too.

I think you missed the point. I used to work for the architecture firm that designed all of Tower Record stores in the US. They shut down while we were told of the superiority of CDs. The industry moved on in the name of progress, but people still covet the old technology.

Good luck with your class D amps.

Reactions: Atmasphere
No. That is ridiculous. No manufacturer decreases sensitivity on purpose (efficiency is not exactly the same, and there is no rating given to the public).

YOU may think it was not for an improvement in sound, but Wilson would disagree. They change drivers and crossover design to push the evolution of sound quality. Some thought older tweeters were harsh at different times but the new ones do not get that criticism. Guess what driver typically is easier to tame from ringing but at the cost of sensitivity? Tweeters without acoustical gain are a somewhat finicky device that basically determines every speakers sensitivity. All the other drivers can have limits but in other frequency range you can multiply the drivers to increase it or limit the bandwidth and adjust the driver. Tweeters on the other hand already only play a select region, and you cannot add more of them without causing horrific problems. The best you can do is have a line shape with no breaks in it (tiny braces do not affect it), without any sort of forced directivity. Sometimes the answer is very minor acoustic gain from a tiny amounts of directivity to get them to match other drivers to save some sensitivity - this is because a tweeter can have high sensitivity in a range you cannot cross to so it inherently has to be brought down if the mid cannot go high enough in hz to meet it.

There is no benefit to reduced sensitivity in itself. No one is making a speaker and just trying to reduce it for arbitrary reasons. In fact you cannot just insert a resistor without changing the shape of all the responses from all the drivers. It is extra work that is just unnecessary. They typically lose plenty to make a speaker work from the start and none of them want to be pigeon holed to a tiny subset of amplifiers.
Please listen to new wilsons and compare to old wilsons. I had Alexandria X2 series 1 and it was more dynamic more alive than new wilsons.
Most audiophiles may prefer new wilsons but I like old big wilsons more.

Amir, do you have a link?

Reactions: PeterA
Please listen to new wilsons and compare to old wilsons. I had Alexandria X2 series 1 and it was more dynamic more alive than new wilsons.
Most audiophiles may prefer new wilsons but I like old big wilsons more.

I am not saying which is better for me, or you, just that no one thought it was a creative strategy to decrease the sensitivity on purpose with no other goals.

It seems the X factor is about mixing two channels in a special way and applying the result to each channel. X factor just used in Pre-amplifier not other Lamm products. I learn from you if I am wrong .

There are many parameters that affect on the sound but with my limited information I guess the Natural sound of Lamm is more about harmonic distortion shapes of Lamm products.
Audiopax amplifier measurements are similar to Lamm except in bass response.

My limited amateur understanding is the application of his theory or constructs that he labeled "the Absolute Linearity of a System" goes across the board for all Lamm components. I called it a kind of unified field theory of amplifier design that explains how an amplifier should measure if it is to reproduce sound congruent with the way people naturally perceive it. An amplifier should preserve the harmonic structure and spectral balance of the musical source signal while paying attention to the types and values of feedback used. He read that account and accepted it.

Reactions: Atmasphere and Amir
My limited amateur understanding is the application of his theory or constructs that he labeled "the Absolute Linearity of a System" goes across the board for all Lamm components. I called it a kind of unified field theory of amplifier design that explains how an amplifier should measure if it is to reproduce sound congruent with the way people naturally perceive it. An amplifier should preserve the harmonic structure and spectral balance of the musical source signal while paying attention to the types and values of feedback used. He read that account and accepted it.
Maybe nice in theory but in practice the LAMM hybrids don’t sound at all like the LAMM SETs. The measurements also look pretty different.

Based on what I have heard the LAMM push/pull amps orient far less successfully

For me it is hard to know. We hear these amps in combination with the speakers being driven, and compare with the alternatives. In my case, I compared the Lamm hybrid to the Pass on Magico and preferred the Lamm for the same reasons I preferred the Lamm phono to the Pass phono. It sounded more natural.

I also compared the Lamm M1.1 to the Lamm ML2 on the Magico. The hybrid was excellent and sounded much more complete because it was a more appropriate match to the load, but the SET had a magic in the midrange that was less developed with the hybrid, so I chose the amp I preferred and then found a better matching speaker.

Based on what I have heard the LAMM push/pull amps orient far less successfully

Depends on how they are used. And you know there is a hierarchy of models.

For me it is hard to know. We hear these amps in combination with the speakers being driven, and compare with the alternatives. In my case, I compared the Lamm hybrid to the Pass on Magico and preferred the Lamm for the same reasons I preferred the Lamm phono to the Pass phono. It sounded more natural.

I also compared the Lamm M1.1 to the Lamm ML2 on the Magico. The hybrid was excellent and sounded much more complete because it was a more appropriate match to the load, but the SET had a magic in the midrange that was less developed with the hybrid, so I chose the amp I preferred and then found a better matching speaker.

Similar story here. I had the M1.2 Ref hybrids on three different Wilsons after choosing that after evaluating the ARC 250s and the Atma-Sphere MA-1 (which I owned at the time.) Along with the load of the Wilsons I needed an amp that broadened review opportunites. I wanted to switch to the ML2.2 and searched for speakers. Brad, you might recall my thread on that search (here) in which you participated. I gave up the search for something new and contemporary and ended up where I am now. I am quite satisfied although ideally I would like to bi-wire the M9500s with another pair of ML2.2s.

In the case of both amps along with the Lamm LL2.1 linestage, the LP2.1 phonostage, the L2.1 Reference linestage, the LP1 Signature phonostage and the LL1.1 linestage -- all of which I had in system for many months and now owning the latter two -- I believe I have a pretty good handle on the character of what I'll simply call 'the Lamm sound'. While there may be different measurements and specs for the different models, that character is not dissociated across the different components from lower level models to higher level models. The higher level models bring greater sophistication, substantially better bass, more resolution and yield more insight to the music I enjoy.

Reactions: Amir and PeterA
The higher level models bring greater sophistication, substantially better bass, more resolution and yield more insight to the music I enjoy.

Tim, I like this summary. I guess that is why you are a good reviewer. “…more insight to the music….” That is it for me too.

I own the LP2.1 Deluxe and LP1 phono stages and the L1 and LL1 preamps. I find the higher multi box models present more information in a clearer, slightly more natural way. I hear slightly more nuance and convincing presence. I agree the biggest change is the bass quality, but basically, it is just a more natural presentation as you move up creating a more involving listening experience. I also agree that the Lamm essence is recognizable in all the models, at least in the ones that I have heard.

Reactions: tima
Maybe nice in theory but in practice the LAMM hybrids don’t sound at all like the LAMM SETs. The measurements also look pretty different.

It is impossible to have any known transistor have the same kind of output as a tube to this day. The transistors work in a linear fashion together, but have to tamed otherwise. A single one on it's own without any kind of feedback will just shoot off into the stars. A tube on the other hand basically only needs a tiny bit to make it stable in the circuit, not with itself. The point being you cannot make the output damping the same no matter what you do. Obviously certain things can help some like class A operation but even the Lamms are limited in power in class A. The voltage gain at 39/31 tells us that he is applying a tasteful amount of feedback, if it where zero (and you have infinite cooling) then it would be much higher gain. The more feedback the lower the gain as a basic principle in solid state.

Using a tube front end certainly helps set the character but the amount of finagle afterward to maintain it is extremely complicated and I doubt even Lamm spent as much time as needed to figure it out - in fact I know this to be true. I am not saying the Hybrids are not good but there are some thing that would grossly complicate the existing amp out of the current chassis to get it closer to tube sound. Sad fact of the matter is it all tends to lose efficiency on the power consumption side, which is already a lot.

Obviously certain things can help some like class A operation but even the Lamms are limited in power in class A. The voltage gain at 39/31 tells us that he is applying a tasteful amount of feedback,

Ergo part of the Lamm Sound signature DNA … In respect I am reminded of a slightly more refined souped up 1947 Williamson .

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu