Need advice on cables for full TAD setup

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
An addendum: compared to the Audiience Front Row interconnects and speaker cables, in my current system, the Cardas Clear Beyond cables exhibit more body and bass (something to do with cable diameter?). But the most surprising aspect of all is that the Cardas cables show an amazing sense of "musical flow", which many other cables are unable to do. Audience Front Row cables have excellent timbre and resolution, but are less "flowing" than the Cardas cables. In my experience, the top of the line Furutech speaker cables compete very well in all the usual audiophile criteria, except musical flow. With respect to musical flow, the Furutech cable are simply the worst I've every tried, they are "plodding" and boring this respect.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
An addendum: compared to the Audiience Front Row interconnects and speaker cables, in my current system, the Cardas Clear Beyond cables exhibit more body and bass (something to do with cable diameter?). But the most surprising aspect of all is that the Cardas cables show an amazing sense of "musical flow", which many other cables are unable to do. Audience Front Row cables have excellent timbre and resolution, but are less "flowing" than the Cardas cables. In my experience, the top of the line Furutech speaker cables compete very well in all the usual audiophile criteria, except musical flow. With respect to musical flow, the Furutech cable are simply the worst I've every tried, they are "plodding" and boring this respect.
I am happy for you that you found the right cables for your system.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
In my system I went from transparent ultra bi cable to audience front row and noticed a big improvement in sound. In no way do the audience front row cables sound lean in the bass. I actually noticed a fuller and tighter bass thru my Magnapan 30.7s.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I found Signal Projects cables match pretty well with TAD setup. Full bodied and resolving

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Which level of Signal Projects cables are you using?

Reactions: kimurastanley

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I tried Apollon XLR. From my previous memory on cardas beyond XLR, Apollon seems more resolving and yet weighty.

This impression is from comparison with my current Valhalla 2 XLR.

Last edited:

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
If you open up an R1 you’ll see its wired with high quality but rather basic 14 gauge OFC zip cord … I would focus on basic cables that have clean and secure connectors, and spend your time and money elsewhere.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore

If you open up an R1 you’ll see its wired with high quality but rather basic 14 gauge OFC zip cord … I would focus on basic cables that have clean and secure connectors, and spend your time and money elsewhere.
Probably same with tad branded cables

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Strongly disagree, based on my experience with the TAD CR1 TX. Quality cables make a very large difference to sound quality.
Your argument reminds me of those who claim that since the cables behind the electrical outlets are rather basic, there is no need to spend a lot of money on quality power cables. My experience is that the last few meters of power cables before an amplifier, for example, make a very big difference to sound quality, despite all the kilometers of rather ordinary cable behind the electrical outlet.
Likewise, despite the often rather ordinary quality cables inside speakers (and amplifiers, for that matter), the quality of the speaker cable matters a great deal.
Recently, I changed one USB cable in my system, from the Taiko Extreme to the Nagra HD DAC X, from the Audience Front Row USB to the new Shunyata Omega USB cable. Again, massive improvement in sound quality, despite the likely rather ordinary cables inside these units.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Stef and Amir

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Could I suggest that, instead of starting with the assumption that cables make no difference to sound quality, you actually listen to different cables connected to the R1 (to which I assume you have access, since you mention that you've opened it up)? Use a quality speaker cable to connect the R1 to your amplifier (which one is it, I assume it's a quality make?). Then try 14 gauge OFC zip cord to connect the amplifier to the R1. Please report back on the result. I might take your comment seriously if you had actually tried this, instead of spouting some theoretical spiel without actually testing your hypothesis.
The scientific method consists of observing (in this case listening), then trying to figure out why what is observed is happening (for example, why the change of speaker cable results in a change of sound quality). The non scientific approach (let's be frank, it's called prejudice) starts with an untested assumption, spreading this untested assumption via social media, and refusing to actually testing the assumption (because that might be embarrassing, wouldn't it?).
Please put your money where your mouth is, and actually compare a quality speaker cable with 14 gauge OFC zip cord to connect the R1 with the power amplifier.
I'm waiting with bated breath for the results of your experiment.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Could I suggest that, instead of starting with the assumption that cables make no difference to sound quality, you actually listen to different cables connected to the R1 ....
This is 2021. Surely nobody would now think cables make no difference.

Reactions: Pokey77

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I always congratulate my friends who can’t hear any difference of different cables as they can save the money and spend somewhere else.

Unfortunately every cables sound different when I try :)

PGA

Dec 29, 2013

Probably same with tad branded cables
Thanks for sending this link to TAD Accessories as I had not seen it and was unaware they made cables. My R1 Mk2 are a few years old. The wiring inside is zip cord. Fine strands, 14 gauge, OFC zip cord. Perhaps that’s what is inside these speaker cables that they now are selling. Either way, it’s a simple high quality connection.

Of course cables make a difference. Back in the 1970s when I was studying electrical engineering the only way to get a good cable was to make it. That’s what we did at Peter McGrath’s Sound Components in Miami. That is what gave rise to companies like Monster Cable and many others.

There are good cables and bad cables. It’s not that hard to make a good cable. Most audiophile cables today is pretty good. And they do make a difference. All I’m saying is there are other things, room acoustics being number one, that make a much bigger difference.

The problem is we all want our system to sound and look great. So we throw money at it, and folks that are good at marketing and branding, happily take our money. Our sound system looks great, and we convince ourselves that we like how it sounds. But if we truly wanted to make a difference in how it sounds, then most of the work would be on room acoustics and that requires a lot of effort, especially if you want it to look and sound good. So we convince ourselves that the cables are what we need to buy.

There is a lot one can do to max out a TAD Reference speaker. The drivers, crossovers and cabinets are engineering and manufacturing marvels. Andrew Jones is a fantastic engineer. I have focused my efforts on things other than cables. But that said, any time spent optimizing these speakers is fun and worthwhile.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
I should post this on the thread regarding amplifiers, not cables … but for not much more than the price of a fancy speaker cable and interconnect you can buy a pair of Benchmark ABH2 amplifiers. You can even afford to buy the Benchmark cables.

These little jewels were designed by Andrew Jones’s twin brother. Simply said, these are the best amps I’ve had, including a long list of mono amps from Spectral, Pass, MSB, Levinson, Constellation, Cello.

Give them a try, you will not be disappointed.

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Do these Benchmark amplifiers use switching power supplies?

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
ABH2s have fully regulated switching power supplies. A properly engineered switching power supply should not in any way restrict performance of an audio component. Many of you will disagree. The top end EMM and Meitner DACs use switching power supplies. They sound great. On the other hand, very few amplifiers have fully regulated power supplies. That’s a short list that includes the Levinson 32 and 32H, and the ABH2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing