Need advice on converting vinyl LPs and cassettes to digital

three4rd

Nov 7, 2019
Not sure this is the right forum for this. Like many people, I have a large collection of vinyl and tapes that I'd like to begin converting to digital. I already have this device https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Track-Mobile-Interface-Preamps/dp/B000BD31ZW that I use to do guitar recordings directly into my computer garageband software, so I was wondering if all I'd need would be RCA to 1/4" cables? I assume I could run cables from my (vintage!) Kenwood receiver's RCA output jacks into the M-audio's mic / instrument inputs? Or won't that work? Someone suggested that I should use RCA to RCA and use the "unbalanced" outputs (wouldn't that be inputs?) on the M-audio. I've never done any of this transferring before so need to know how best to accomplish it. Thanks....

I have a recommendation- Vinyl Studio. There are both Windows and Mac versions. Deals with RIAA de-emphasis, pops and clicks etc. Interface is a bit quirky but a very complete solution. Given the equipment you have on hand, I'd use the phono inputs on the Kenwood (which will output a 'flat' signal, already de-emphasized) > Kenwood tape out jacks> M-Audio line in> USB out to the computer. VinylStudio's feature set much better tailored to your task than Garage Band. Worth the price.

Suggestion, use the Subsonic/Rumble (I forget which term they use) to filter to filter out subsonic garbage present on all vinyl. It does nothing but cause problems and is easy to filter out in the digital domain.

I will say that digitizing is a real-time, time-eating process that I only did on material I couldn't access any other way. A digital remaster over a lossless streamer like Tidal or Qobuz mops the floor with the best vinyl transfer IMHO.

You will have to be very careful of the Professional -> Consumer interface. The guitar uses what is called a Hi-Z interface, which will not work. Avoid the 1/4"
Then you need to be aware of the +4 dBu and -10 dBV differences. That's even before you start searching for software. Professionally, some of us use Pyramix or Pro Tools or...... I would look into Channel D - Pure Vinyl. If you really want to go cheap, just get Reaper.
Your best recordings will be in the setup. Some of us have done thousands of LP's and have invested many 10's of thousands of dollars. I've even done LP transfers for production CD's and downloads.... just ask Larry....

I've written a little bit here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/archiving-vinyl-tape.3439/

Bruce's point about the 'Pro' vs consumer' equipment is well taken. Depending on how invested you are in the 'high end' mindset, you can get a Behringer USB sound card starting at ~$30. It's fairly basic but tested decently in this report. You certainly don't need megabuck gear to capture a cassette tape adequately. I still think VinylStudio makes for a smoother workflow than using something like ProTools or Logic though.

One other thing: Keep as much distance between the computer and TT/cart as is practical. Phono carts can pick up computer-generated RFI pretty well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand.But it appears you need analog to digital converter(ADC).
Play your source through your receiver. Via your receivers record out jack's feed the signal into your ADC. Once it is converted you will need some sort of storage media.eg cd,computer file or DAT
The file can then be fed into a DAC.
If I missed the point,my bad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing