Negative show report posts... enough is enough.

When I got out of college, I was a computer programmer. (This was just after the discovery of electricity). We used to ask the following about someone who, for example, had been in the business for 5 years: Did he/she have 5 years of experience or 1 year of experience 5 times? The same question should be asked about audio reviewers. Because someone has been in the audio reviewing business for some length of time does not necessarily add to the list giving validity to the term "expert" reviewer.

110% agree. Not to mention as in almost any job you are initially drinking from the fire hose and accumulating tons of experience/knowledge in a short period of time. Also, just because you've been "doing your job" for many moons doesn't automagically make you an expert.

Yes, Nothing, except a ton of adverts.

I guess I'm supposed to be offended by that. But since you're not bothering to do due diligence, I'm not sure why anyone else should either.

Feel free to come up with a viable, alternative business model. Believe me, the industry would be "all ears" to hear your deep wisdom on this issue.

In the meantime ... lets argue about negativity some more.

Back to the thread intent...sort of...

A few years ago I attended a show, not as an exhibitor, but as an enthusiast. One room that I particularly remember was inhabited by the manufacturer, his wife, and his kids. I don't even remember his product, but I remember the feel of the room as if it were yesterday. There was a sense anxiousness about it, a presence of desperation, and maybe on the part of the wife, a sense of impending doom. All this was tempered by the guy's enthusiasm for the product and an unconscious projection of hope. No one besides my friend and I was in the room, and I got the feeling that it had been pretty much empty for the entire show. To make matters worse, it sounded bad, not your typical bad, but it met the criteria for a room where there was something bad for everyone. No one I know could have possibly fixed it. I don't think I have heard a worse room at a show anywhere.

I am soft-sell where my product is concerned, but that guy redefined hard sell to a level that rivaled anyone who ever graced NYC's gem district. I got the sense that he didn't just want to sell something, he absolutely had to sell something. I could tell that everything was riding on his product and that show. But, the ship had already sunk. Apparently, his dream had taken the ultimate financial toll and all that was left was for him to take in that last gulp of air. I wanted to give the guy a hug, and tell him that everything would be alright, but I knew better. We thanked him as courteously as we could muster and left the room instead.

Later, I scoured the magazines for comments about that room, but found none. Fortunately, any reviewer or attendee who had been there had the common decency to let it pass without comment. I was relieved, but probably nowhere near as much as that guy and his family. They were allowed to slip into oblivion quietly.

That room was an extreme example, but the moral is that everyone who shows has an investment. But more, they have a dream. Most of us makers measure our investments, and have thick enough skins to take criticism. We can either defend what we do, or write off the guy criticizing as an idiot. There is a difference in criticism, however. Criticisms can be illustrative, or constructive, but some can be trivial and mean-spirited. Think before you make unfair comparisons, or write just for something to do.

Last edited:
There IS a difference between a magazine one pays for and a free online magazine. Scott doesn't owe any of his readers anything. He simply provides entertainment and some information. If you don't like it, ask for a refund. Scott's policy is fully honorable and consist with best business practices.
Michael.

If a person is a reviewer for an audio show, why does it matter whether or not the reader pays money for the critique? The reviewer should have honesty and the integrity to give his honest evaluation. If you are writing a critique, I don't see it a matter of anybody owing anyone something because it is paid for or free. If you are a writer, people look up to you as an expert and they should be respected by your being honest with them in your reviews.

If you are putting yourself out there as a reviewer, you should say what you honestly thought about a product, not keep your mouth shut because it didn't live up to your expectations because that might affect your ability to get other products to review at a later date because you demonstrated your honesty by not liking a products you reviewed.

Last edited:
let's rejig this a bit and see if it still makes sense

Regarding positive reviews: They carry with them the easy conflict of interest that results in poor ethical behaviour:

A reviewer can be in a good mood or really like the manufacturer, or have a particular relationship with him.
The magazine might want advertising, and in order to get it issues a good review
A reviewer might be ecstatic because the manufacturer gave him the equipment for free.

There can be any amount of politics not visible to the reader. So generally speaking, a good review is generally a sign of poor ethics on the part of the publication. The right way to do it is if the reviewer for whatever reason can't find something negative to say then the gear gets sent back and that's the end of it. Out of sight out of mind.

I'm not making any of this up; I have seen all of the above first hand. If you think being a manufacturer is some sort of cake walk please dump that mistaken notion. I once sat at dinner between the chief editor of a major US print magazine and a potential advertiser, and so heard first-hand the discussion about putting the equipment to be advertised into the review cycle. I've also experienced first hand what happened with one magazine when I didn't place an ad campaign with them. I hate to burst y'all's bubbles in this regard but plain and simple (and I think this has a lot to do with the OP): its unethical to publish a positive review. Yah sure, you think hard-hitting journalism should be all of that and you are right. I'm just pointing out the simple and very real fact that it does not work that way.

So you may disagree, and I understand why, I'm just saying that if you disagree your viewpoint is idealistic and not realistic. This stuff happens: bad reviews are an unethical practice.

Well, how about this, Ralph -- bad reviews may be the product of unethical reviewers. :(
A review, conducted dispassionately, which yields a less than favorable conclusion has merit.
It occurs to me that one need evaluate the reviewer as critically as the component under review.

let's rejig this a bit and see if it still makes sense

Counselor, grab my sleeve if I start to say something that won't hold up under cross-examination. :D

If your job is to be a critic and review products, you are being dishonest sending something back that your reviewed and found inferior and refused to write about

As with all things, it's not as simple as it first seems.

Setting aside any potential duplicity in the process, assume you have a reasonable and uncorrupt manufacturer, editor, and journalist involved in the process. Better yet, let's assume Spendor (because I'm looking at a pair of D1s as I write this) is the manufacturer, and you are the journalist.

The said pair of D1 loudspeakers arrive in the offices of the magazine. They perform as a pair of D1s should - as an extremely honest-sounding, small sealed box loudspeaker. They are sent to you for review.

And you hate them.

You hate them because they don't have anything like the bass you expect from a pair of loudspeakers. You hate them in spite of understanding on a surface level that these D1 loudspeakers are designed for near-field monitoring in small rooms, where restricted bandwidth is a benefit rather than a limitation. You simply can't live by the editor's suggestion that you should walk a mile in the shoes of the prospective buyer, because they are so far from what you consider to be 'right' in audio terms that you could only slaughter them in print. Even doing due diligence and seeing that they are extremely highly praised for their performance both in measurement and observational listening, setting a new standard in small sealed box design.

Do you write a review that ultimately (and unfairly) kills off the D1, or call up the editor and suggest someone else might be a more suitable writer?

I'd love to say there was a middle path, that a review could conclude with "I don't like it, but if you like X, it's going to really ring your bells". Sadly, that's not how these things are read. "I don't like it, but..." is read as "It eats babies for fun".

In the above case, I wouldn't put this down to a reviewer being honest about a product. I would think it a poor choice of reviewer by the editor.

Part of the editor's role in all this is to act as matchmaker, ensuring the right product goes to the appropriate reviewer. This doesn't just mean 'never give a cartridge review to someone who signs their name in binary': it means trying to find someone who will give the product a fair assessment. Sometimes, that doesn't work out as expected, and it's the job of both editor and reviewer to determine whether this is down to it being a bad product, or a bad fit for the reviewer.

Currently, Hi-Fi+ reviews about 150-180 products per year. At a rough estimate, I have to make these kind of determinations about a product maybe five or six times a year. In fairness, that number may double or even triple if I am 'running up' a new reviewer, as I get used to what they like and don't like.

That latter comment is certainly the truth. The principle here is 'A rising tide raises all boats.'

No- when its a dud your job is to not talk about it. Send it back- maybe it needs repair and you didn't pick up on that. Or maybe it really is that bad. Not talking about it has almost the same effect as a bad review- which is to say no sales. Recognizing what is the reviewer's task here is the issue.

OK- I'm good with this, mostly. The only thing that you need to consider is how much of the underpinning you know about. Usually you don' t know any of it other than the reviewer says the product showed up at his house.

I concede that the topic has drifted somewhat, but what I am discussing has relevance in that if a person sticks his head in the door of a room at a show for 15 seconds and makes a negative pronouncement, that really isn't ethical.

The issue here is that high end audio is shrinking in the US at least, partially due to our not being very relevant, and partially also due to a lot of nonsense or outright fraud. We need to present a legitimate good face to the public. That's how you build credibility. So everything needs to be presented in a positive light; when its negative people find other things on which to spend their time. So in service of that, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything; that's how it works. So a reviewer, if stuck without good results, needs to talk to his/her magazine and the manufacturer and find out why, and perhaps the result is that it is agreed to send the product back without any comment at all. That is really the only ethical way to deal with bad results and by ethical I mean 'preventing the frailties of human nature'. I hope I don't have to spell this out again.

Yes, this results in all reviews being good ones, but hopefully also reviews in which weaknesses are discussed. These reviews tend to be more credible and carry more weight as time proves them out. We all know that the Quicksilver review was unwarranted; Quicksilver's product proved that out. If the review had corresponded with the actual goodness of the product, credibility would have been the result.

I disagree, if someone sticks the head in for 15 seconds and leaves, then at least to that person the sound must have been BAD. I have done this myself as i can hear right away if a system has the engaging elements to warrant further investigation.

I again disagree, the audio is shrinking because of other diversions that simply didn't exist 30 or 40 years ago. High end audio was always a niche for the dedicated and it should be presented in a realistic light, neither overtly positive or negative but on a company by company and system by system basis. Bad companies die and good companies (notice I did NOT say products) thrive...that is free market. If the market shrinks to support only a few companies then I guess it is time to up your game to make sure you are one of those that survives. Personally, I wouldn't care if there were only a few manufacturers in each category as long as they were really GOOD manufacturers. What do I care about the 90+% of companies that have no clue about making good sound? They are out there taking their chances and will live or die based on the quality of their products and their business savvy.

Again, I disagree. Taking the unethical behaviors you described out of the equation (not all reviewers operate this way...I sure didn't) an honest negative review needs to be published. The editor should perhaps be much more closely involved in the case if a negative review is forthcoming and they should have the responsibility to question the reviewer to determine if there are hidden motivations. If the editor has doubts about the sincerity then he can opt to not publish but barring that it should be sent out. If it was thought the unit is broken then give the maunfacturer another shot.

Nothing but positive reviews give the consumer NOTHING to base a buying decision on and often leads to bad purchases (I usually try to listen before buying but not in all cases and I have been burned by so-called "reviews"). This is the whole point of critical journalism to give the consumer some power of discrimination when they obviously can not try everything. Car magazines have no issues in bashing poor cars.

I have never heard a Quicksilver amp so I cannot comment if they are worth a damn. Based on the designs I would not expect exceptional sound but also probably not poor sound.

We asked the Editor of our local mag why there are never "slamming" reviews.. he said they "can" them.. they only publish the good reviews.. the rationale is that they promote good stuff and not bad. Better to say nothing rather than damn the product...
In any published review , one has to have some comprehension of the ethos of the reviewer.. I like it loud , all enveloping massive scale , bass slam etc.. I would HATE that D1 being mentioned...so as alan says , I would be a bad reviewer of this product

<snip>

The issue here is that high end audio is shrinking in the US at least, partially due to our not being very relevant, and partially also due to a lot of nonsense or outright fraud. We need to present a legitimate good face to the public. That's how you build credibility. So everything needs to be presented in a positive light; when its negative people find other things on which to spend their time. So in service of that, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything; that's how it works. So a reviewer, if stuck without good results, needs to talk to his/her magazine and the manufacturer and find out why, and perhaps the result is that it is agreed to send the product back without any comment at all. That is really the only ethical way to deal with bad results and by ethical I mean 'preventing the frailties of human nature'. I hope I don't have to spell this out again.

<snip>

It's not clear to me whether you are accusing reviewers or manufacturers of "nonsense or outright fraud".
There are probably good examples of both out there, but I'm not sure that an (honest) bad review falls into that category

If you are a writer, people look up to you as an expert and they should be respected by your being honest with them in your reviews.
Speak for yourself. Perhaps this is the problem for some folks. They put their faith in someone else to help them make decisions instead making the decision themselves. It's comforting to have someone else to blame when it all does t work out as planned. But thats not my style. The word expert is meaningless in this context. As long as folks understand and don't put any faith in what writers say, all will be okay. These "reviews" are strictly for infotainment.

As with all things, it's not as simple as it first seems.

Setting aside any potential duplicity in the process, assume you have a reasonable and uncorrupt manufacturer, editor, and journalist involved in the process. Better yet, let's assume Spendor (because I'm looking at a pair of D1s as I write this) is the manufacturer, and you are the journalist.

The said pair of D1 loudspeakers arrive in the offices of the magazine. They perform as a pair of D1s should - as an extremely honest-sounding, small sealed box loudspeaker. They are sent to you for review.

And you hate them.

You hate them because they don't have anything like the bass you expect from a pair of loudspeakers. You hate them in spite of understanding on a surface level that these D1 loudspeakers are designed for near-field monitoring in small rooms, where restricted bandwidth is a benefit rather than a limitation. You simply can't live by the editor's suggestion that you should walk a mile in the shoes of the prospective buyer, because they are so far from what you consider to be 'right' in audio terms that you could only slaughter them in print. Even doing due diligence and seeing that they are extremely highly praised for their performance both in measurement and observational listening, setting a new standard in small sealed box design.

Do you write a review that ultimately (and unfairly) kills off the D1, or call up the editor and suggest someone else might be a more suitable writer?

I'd love to say there was a middle path, that a review could conclude with "I don't like it, but if you like X, it's going to really ring your bells". Sadly, that's not how these things are read. "I don't like it, but..." is read as "It eats babies for fun".

In the above case, I wouldn't put this down to a reviewer being honest about a product. I would think it a poor choice of reviewer by the editor.

Part of the editor's role in all this is to act as matchmaker, ensuring the right product goes to the appropriate reviewer. This doesn't just mean 'never give a cartridge review to someone who signs their name in binary': it means trying to find someone who will give the product a fair assessment. Sometimes, that doesn't work out as expected, and it's the job of both editor and reviewer to determine whether this is down to it being a bad product, or a bad fit for the reviewer.

Currently, Hi-Fi+ reviews about 150-180 products per year. At a rough estimate, I have to make these kind of determinations about a product maybe five or six times a year. In fairness, that number may double or even triple if I am 'running up' a new reviewer, as I get used to what they like and don't like.

Shouldn't the reviewer know the product, be able to place this speaker in the proper context? Describe the sound, what you are getting for the money? How it was designed to be used? If not, he is a bad reviewer. It would be like a guy taking a lawnmower and using it as hedge clippers and then reviewing it saying is a terrible hedge clipper and it cut off my hands to boot.

I don't think there is a real distinction between "good journalism" and "advertorialism", not when talking about consumer products.

Then it's time to turn in your press pass. And this, from Alan Sircom...

Is either a dismissal of the reader's intelligence or his own writing ability. If he can detail here, in a few words in a post, how a speaker might be very good for a specific purpose, a kind of listener, but not right for his use, he should be able to do it in the much longer format of a review. And his readers, if they understand the language he writes in, should be able to understand it. If they cannot, the error is his.

Tim

Last edited:
Back to the thread intent...sort of...

A few years ago I attended a show, not as an exhibitor, but as an enthusiast. One room that I particularly remember was inhabited by the manufacturer, his wife, and his kids. I don't even remember his product, but I remember the feel of the room as if it were yesterday. There was a sense anxiousness about it, a presence of desperation, and maybe on the part of the wife, a sense of impending doom. All this was tempered by the guy's enthusiasm for the product and an unconscious projection of hope. No one besides my friend and I was in the room, and I got the feeling that it had been pretty much empty for the entire show. To make matters worse, it sounded bad, not your typical bad, but it met the criteria for a room where there was something bad for everyone. No one I know could have possibly fixed it. I don't think I have heard a worse room at a show anywhere.

I am soft-sell where my product is concerned, but that guy redefined hard sell to a level that rivaled anyone who ever graced NYC's gem district. I got the sense that he didn't just want to sell something, he absolutely had to sell something. I could tell that everything was riding on his product and that show. But, the ship had already sunk. Apparently, his dream had taken the ultimate financial toll and all that was left was for him to take in that last gulp of air. I wanted to give the guy a hug, and tell him that everything would be alright, but I knew better. We thanked him as courteously as we could muster and left the room instead.

Later, I scoured the magazines for comments about that room, but found none. Fortunately, any reviewer or attendee who had been there had the common decency to let it pass without comment. I was relieved, but probably nowhere near as much as that guy and his family. They were allowed to slip into oblivion quietly.

That room was an extreme example, but the moral is that everyone who shows has an investment. But more, they have a dream. Most of us makers measure our investments, and have thick enough skins to take criticism. We can either defend what we do, or write off the guy criticizing as an idiot. There is a difference in criticism, however. Criticisms can be illustrative, or constructive, but some can be trivial and mean-spirited. Think before you make unfair comparisons, or write just for something to do.

This is beautifully written and a wonderful example of "think before you click."

Lately the boards, and I mean all of the boards and the 'zines (as well) have been posting negative show room reports.

I believe this is the lowest of low behavior. It is frankly cowardly, if you don't have anything positive to say then why say anything at all. How would you like it if I was invited into your home and then publically bashed your system?

We all hear differently. We all have biases. By posting a negative report you are in effect elevating yourself as an expert and trust me, you are not an expert. Experts know why rooms have problems, experts know why components get mismatched. Experts know that certain music can make or break a room.

Do these cowards know how hard it is to setup a system in a hotel room in one day?

I've frankly had enough of this behavior.

Peter Breuninger

PS: I will also add to this thread, if you PM me regarding my OP, I will make it public. One coward has already done this and since I did not state this in advance, the cowardly PM will remain private. All future PMs will be made public.

Hello Peter

Just because you post something negative you are elevating yourself??? I find this odd to say the least. If it's a pat on the back it's OK but not from an expert?? Wouldn't it be better the other way round??

I am no expert but I have been in this hobby since my teens. I build speakers and have a measurement system as part of the hobby. I have been to many shows and heard some absolutely horrible sound. Don't know what the exhibitors were thinking?? I am fully aware how hard some rooms can be and as exhibitors who have to deal with this I would expect you to be prepared for it. I would also take the negatives as constructive criticism. Point of view being well I guess we didn't set-up as well as we thought. Do better next time.

Rob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing