Network Improvements and their Impact on Sound Quality

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
@Kris do you use any type of attenuator on the Startech to reduce the power?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Kris, that ZX SFP (ZX transceivers in general) are rated for long haul use. Power output is generally 0 dBm. Running short links with something like that would overload the receiver, unless there was at least a 10 dB in line attenuators being used. I’m actually surprised it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsina2

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
@Kris do you use any type of attenuator on the Startech to reduce the power?

I tested 5 dB, 10 dB and 15 dB With 80 km Startech and 40 km Planet.
For few weeks I was thinking it is great as it softened the music significantly.
But if you exchenge all dirty Power supplys in network for good LPS es and add good
swiches with excellent clocks you will notice how BAD attenuators are.
Just check how the focus is not present anymore with attenuation.

without attenuators 80 km Startech SFP is amazing over 1m fiber.
it offers priceless authority and great focus.
With attenuators everything was always Much less precise.

Reactions: Thuan

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Kris, that ZX SFP (ZX transceivers in general) are rated for long haul use. Power output is generally 0 dBm. Running short links with something like that would overload the receiver, unless there was at least a 10 dB in line attenuators being used. I’m actually surprised it works.

why should this NOT to work ?
it always did in my system.
I have many different SFPs and use them every day For few years now.
I agree that no attenuation might affect the reciever side but if it stops working
One day I will simply buy new SFP and again use them without attenuation.
I strongly prefer direct connection.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
why should this NOT to work ?
it always did in my system.
I have many different SFPs and use them every day For few years now.
I agree that no attenuation might affect the reciever side but if it stops working
One day I will simply buy new SFP and again use them without attenuation.
I strongly prefer direct connection.

I think you touched on it - the receiver may fail prematurely. But I agree - no optical attenuators is better. I don’t know if receiver performance is affected abnormally in any way if it is overdriven.

Last edited:

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Wanted to write a quick thank you to all on this thread. Based on your input (and some of you through numerous PMs), I have upgraded the network side as best as I can, with a few limitations due to my room. Since inserting the devious little Edge X-SFP and the M12 Gold switch with Sablon Pantela Reserve cables (such a wonderful improvement in SQ), I have added the Plixir Elite BDC LPS to both the M12 Gold and to the latest Comcast modem they offer (stuck with Comcast for now due to the need for a land phone line).

I am so pleased by the improvement brought by the LPSs. The drop in the noise floor was instantaneous and the additional resolution and clarity improved over the next few days. I am hearing new details such as a vocalist's breath, brushing of guitar strings, release of piano pedals and crowd interactions on live recordings for the first time on tracks I have listened to so many times. For me, such enjoyable new elements.

Thank you again

Last edited:
Reactions: Sablon Audio

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
If you use Comcast, you can purchase the Arris Surfboard 8200 modem privately and call Comcast to activate it when you set it up. Putting an LPS on it will improve the sound quality especially for streaming music.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
If you use Comcast, you can purchase the Arris Surfboard 8200 modem privately and call Comcast to activate it when you set it up. Putting an LPS on it will improve the sound quality especially for streaming music.
Does the Arris 8200 have telephone capability?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
After looking into that at some length a few weeks ago, unfortunately, it does not. I was at least happy to learn that the latest comcast modem can work with the Elite BDC LPS whereas its immediate predecessor could not.

Last edited:

bimbo83

Oct 24, 2017
Hi all switch experts!

I am curious about Entreq Empire switch/battery. Have anyone bought or tried? Not much feedback on the net since its launch!

Thanks.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
this thread has gone quiet for a while, but i'll ask here rather than starting a new thread.

are their any recommended QoS settings/options in a home router or managed switch that help streaming audio SQ?

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
I'd be interested in this too but don't even know what QoS settings are!o_O

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
I did not find QoS to help here, but isolating the audio network on a different subnet / VLAN was beneficial.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
@heebrog
QoS is Quality of Service and is/can be used for setting different internet parameters for different types of traffic.
for example, some traffic may be delay sensitive, like voice over IP, where too long a latency/delay impacts voice quality--QoS might define a target latency time for each packet. if i'm making a call and downloading a large file, i don't want the call or streaming video packets to be slowed down while a large file takes away too much bandwidth. the large file being downloaded has no strict latency requirements, so QoS tries to keep everyone happy simultaneously.

you hear that less these days, and as data rates have gotten higher relative to what you're trying to push through it, the less important it
becomes................so with 1Gb Fios, i don't really have to worry much about latency for streaming audio (or even most video, because video is less sensitive to delay). QoS is still a really big deal for 4G and 5G wireless, where there are lots of users competing for a bandwidth, which is a rare commodity and must be intelligently shared among all users, based on their individual needs (e.g. voice, video/zoom, web browsing, file download, streaming music). You can also have a minimum guaranteed data rate QoS, if you are willing to pay extra $$ for the privilege.

another example is gaming, where the gamers who are comparable to audiophiles need the smallest latency possible to enhance their likelihood of success in shooting whatever alien or enemy needs to be overcome.

the key to QoS is to be able to distinguish between different types of traffic and users and automatically choose/set up the optimized/individualized settings that are best suited to that type of traffic. if there is a high enough data rate available, that becomes less and less necessary as there is plenty of resources for everyone. so with 1Gb fios, i'd expect @Neon's response to be right on, even with my daughter and wife streaming videos. is it also the case for home wifi? maybe, but i really don't know. i keep my music wired and let them stream youtube videos on wifi :)

@Neon
going down another level, is there any benefit from tuning the traffic shaping for audio?
Linux systems have the "tc" command that gives a lot of fine tune control to how ethernet data is processed.
i'm assuming that the Taiko switch will get into that type of low level control to optimize the data flow between the Taiko router and the Taiko extreme. expertly controlling both sides of that ethernet link surely contains SQ magic for us to look forward too!

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I did not find QoS to help here, but isolating the audio network on a different subnet / VLAN was beneficial.

emphatically agree:
isolating the audio network through an edgerouterX was the single biggest improvement i've made on the network side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing