New Additions

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, time to open that time honoured old chestnut, what format do you prefer?
Now w added frisson of horns video shootout Lol.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I thought to start a new thread, Unnatural Sound, but didn’t want to ruffle any feathers.

Here‘s 2 YouTube videos of Peggy Lee - Fever you may want to compare with PeterA’s. I won’t say what the difference is between them but you may like to comment. I’m expecting a 50/50 split with some disliking both and preferring the Natural Sound. Feel free to say it how you here it, I’ve got thicker skin than Marc
Did you disconnect the tweeter on number 1? Very different sound. What did you do or is it two different versions of the same song?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Interesting comments. The difference is the album selected from Qobuz. The first is All Aglow Again and the second is Very Best of Peggy Lee. As most of us are used to the reverb on this track there could be a bias in which one we prefer. To add confusion, the All Aglow Again was recorded at Capitol Studios, famous for its echo chamber, but not apparent on this cut. Could it be they added reverb after recording, ie. recorded the tape played back in the echo chamber? For the record I much prefer the first one and never did like reverb much, witness Café Blue.

Edit, Morricab wins the prize for guessing correctly

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Next they'll be dropping Geddy Lee's vocals two octaves Lol.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The voice is close-miked so it should not have that much "echo" and the drums are in the back of the studio... for what i know of this recording is that everything can be pinpointed very clearly here. So it good for testing...

Peggy Lee - Fever (Official Video) - YouTube
Based on this, neither is right...the first is too damped and the second too hollow and ethereal with way too much reverb.

Reactions: Lampie519

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Interesting comments. The difference is the album selected from Qobuz. The first is All Aglow Again and the second is Very Best of Peggy Lee. As most of us are used to the reverb on this track there could be a bias in which one we prefer. To add confusion, the All Aglow Again was recorded at Capitol Studios, famous for its echo chamber, but not apparent on this cut. Could it be they added reverb after recording, ie. recorded the tape played back in the echo chamber? For the record I much prefer the first one and never did like revere much, witness Café Blue.

HA! I have noticed this with different versions of a recording (cd vs. HR for example).

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Interesting comments. The difference is the album selected from Qobuz. The first is All Aglow Again and the second is Very Best of Peggy Lee. As most of us are used to the reverb on this track there could be a bias in which one we prefer. To add confusion, the All Aglow Again was recorded at Capitol Studios, famous for its echo chamber, but not apparent on this cut. Could it be they added reverb after recording, ie. recorded the tape played back in the echo chamber? For the record I much prefer the first one and never did like revere much, witness Café Blue.

So my very first statement “Honestly I can scarcely believe they are the same recording” was indeed true?

Reactions: Blue58

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

It's crazy how different these two recordings are. I was listening to some Norah Jones the other day and I just randomly selected a 24/192 recording that frankly sounded very weird compared to what I hear when I listen to the actual cd. I think found a couple different 24/96 versions and the cd version...all sounded different. The cd version was the one that sounded like I remembered (I went back and played the cd to be sure). They are definitely doing some manipulation to even different resolutions of the same recording. In your case it was from two different albums but where one had been modified with extra reverb.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I will share the prize with you Bill.

Still trying to understand the moral of the story here.

Barry - what was the overall message of your experiment vs Peter’s thread?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's still not vinyl?

Reactions: morricab

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Still trying to understand the moral of the story here.

Barry - what was the overall message of your experiment vs Peter’s thread?
Just wondered which version people preferred and whether the natural sound version had the best traits of both my vids. It appears to fall into the reverb camp.

No moral here just showing how my system is sounding compared to Peter’s by playing the same, albeit different release, track.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Found this. A77A7BF2-10A8-4BCA-A55C-E2E48E43DF1A.jpeg

So perhaps the first video is the original mix before adding the reverb.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just wondered which version people preferred and whether the natural sound version had the best traits of both my vids. It appears to fall into the reverb camp.

No moral here just showing how my system is sounding compared to Peter’s by playing the same, albeit different release, track.
Can you find the same release?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Peggy Lee’s greatest is not on Qobuz streaming, however, after searching Discogs it appears the 1969 release was a Duophonic release, Capitol’s mono to stereo technology of the day. Peter would be able to confirm whether it was this or the remastered (Eugene Thompson) later release.

I listened again to the first version and in the room there is adequate reverb on drums and bass and Peggy’s voice is deliciously creamy. I think it’s miles ahead of the other versions.

Edit. Interesting that Capitol often used added reverberation.

from Wikipedia :- This was done by splitting the mono signal into two channels, then delaying the left and the right signals by means of delay lines and other circuits, i.e. desynchronizing the two channels by fractions of a second, and cutting the bass frequencies in one channel with a high-pass filter, then cutting the treble frequencies in the other channel with a low-pass filter. The result was an artificial stereo effect, without giving the listener the true directional sound characteristics of real stereo. In some cases, the effect was enhanced with reverberation and other technical tricks, sometimes adding stereo echo to mono tracks in an attempt to fool the listener.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
This is the LP version I have and used for my video. ddk seems to have a different version, at least the label looks different, but album cover seems same.

View attachment 78897
Thank you Peter, this appears to be the remastered version from 1979. I have no idea how it compares to a 1969 original. This all gets into SHF territory beyond my skill set.

all the best
Blue58

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing