New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Magic may have been the man but I still think Kareem should have gotten his statue before Oscar De La Joya.

but I still think Kareem should have gotten his statue before Oscar De La Joya.

I thought about that too earlier but I don't know the LA fan base of dela Hoya, I might have been pelted with rotten eggs by such fans. :D

Another oversight is the fact that Kareem has won 6 rings too, 5 with LA and 1 with Milwaukee when he was a sophomore. And too bad in those days, shoes with players' name weren't that in yet so guys like Kareem were not able to make much money from endorsements unlike these days, a rookie would be chased by Adidas or Nike for fat endorsement contracts. The guy has 6 rings and not a shoe named after him. Well, Bill Russell has 13 rings and no shoe either, but at least the Finals MVP is named after him. :D

In this new batch, I'm glad to see Ralph Sampson get in. A 7'4" guy who could dribble and run the floor.

Jordan, Magic Among 2012 Hall of Fame Presenters
August 28, 2012 · 6:26PM

HANG TIME WEST – The Hall of Fame on Tuesday announced a star-studded group of presenters for the induction ceremony next Friday night in Springfield, Mass., a list headed by Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson that is powerful enough to overshadow most of the actual inductees.

Their role is strictly ceremonial, nothing more than standing on stage as the enshrinees speak. And some choices are assigned for a person or team without a personal connection to a current Hall of Famer, as the rules require. But some in the past have been interesting selections – Jordan requesting David Thompson despite not having any relationship, Karl Malone choosing Willis Reed against the same backdrop, both in nods to home-state heroes – and the presenters this time are noteworthy for the number of all-time greats.

The complete list of enshinees and their presenters:

All America Redheads — Teresa Edwards.

Lidia Alexeeva – Will not be present.

The late Don Barksdale – Bob Cousy.

Mel Daniels – Wayne Embry and Artis Gilmore.

Phil Knight – Jordan and John Thompson.

Katrina McClain – Edwards, Julius Erving, and C. Vivian Stringer.

Hank Nichols – Hubie Brown.

Don Nelson – Chris Mullin, Bob Lanier and Satch Sanders.

Reggie Miller – Cheryl Miller, Charles Barkley and Johnson.

Ralph Sampson – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Erving, and Barkley.

Chet Walker – Billy Cunningham, Earl Monroe, Adrian Dantley and Isiah Thomas.

Jamaal Wilkes – Abdul-Jabbar, Johnson, Rick Barry and Bill Walton.

In all, officials are expecting approximately 50 Hall of Famers to attend, either as participants or to watch and join in private functions.

Does Ralph Samson deserves the Hall of Fame? Not so sure ... I always he could have been good but he was unfrotunately destroyed by Bill Fitch IMHO. Another coach more adventurous may have been better for him and could have extended his career.. Fitch pushed it to play in a way he wasn't comfortable with, classic back to the basket, low post game. He prefigured the now familiar Seven footer players that can shoot far from the basket and dribble toward it to like Dirk Nowitzki, and frankly might have been more skilled but I always perceived him as extremely talented and full of potential never fully realized ...

Does Ralph Samson deserves the Hall of Fame? Not so sure ... I always he could have been good but he was unfrotunately destroyed by Bill Fitch IMHO. Another coach more adventurous may have been better for him and could have extended his career.. Fitch pushed it to play in a way he wasn't comfortable with, classic back to the basket, low post game. He prefigured the now familiar Seven footer players that can shoot far from the basket and dribble toward it to like Dirk Nowitzki, and frankly might have been more skilled but I always perceived him as extremely talented and full of potential never fully realized ...

Apparently to the HOF judges he does, and I've read some comments to those who would wonder why Ralph is in the HOF that his achievements to basketball should start during his college days and not just in the NBA. That much I agree, that his career in the NBA was thwarted though he's got some talent and moves for a big big man. I missed seeing his highlights in his college days, perhaps it's what brought him into the HOF too.

No what destroyed him was his knees. :) Something today that maybe could have been dealt with given the advances in sports medicine.

Sampson definitely doesn't belong in the HOF IMHO since he only really played four "full" seasons of 11 years (not sure if one was a strike year or not?). Outside of his first three years, his numbers are not very impressive. No he was one who never realized his college promise.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sampsra01.html

Well, his best known 'achievement', or play, was the 1 sec touch-shot over Kareem that beat the Lakers and propelled the Rockets to the '86 Finals against Boston. If I'm not mistaken, his tandem with Hakeem was the first 'twin towers' coined in the NBA.

Another interesting inductee - Nike's Phil Knight. Is it because Air Jordan shoes did so well in sales? :D

And I wonder, which basketball great has NOT yet been inducted to the HOF?

James Worthy is not impressed by Dwight Howard

By Eric Freeman

When the Los Angeles Lakers acquired Dwight Howard in July, pretty much everyone with even a tenuous connection to the franchise (fans, employees, and more) got excited. They had good reason, too, obviously — Howard, when engaged, is the best center in the NBA, as well as a player who could form an often unstoppable pick-and-roll partnership with fellow new addition Steve Nash. After two years of second-round exits, the Lakers look primed to challenge for a title again.
However, one prominent Laker legend isn't sold that Howard is the perfect fit for the Lakers. In a conference call to discuss his new role as lead studio analyst for Lakers TV broadcasts, James Worthy voiced some conflicted opinions about Howard. From Melissa Rohlin for the Los Angeles Times (via PBT):

"I wasn't a fan of Dwight Howard," Worthy said during a conference call Thursday morning to announce his new role as main studio analyst for Lakers games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet. Worthy said that he likes players who put their head down and do their job. He lamented that with Howard, "there was too much conversation."
"Who said this, I don't like this coach. To me, that's nonsense," Worthy said. "Your job is to come in and play and deal with the situation that's there."
Worthy also greatly disapproved of Howard's reticence to play for the Lakers. "I was a little bit taken back. I think I heard him say ... if the Lakers drafted him, he wouldn't take it," Worthy said. "I knew that was gibberish."
Worthy, however, made it clear that now that Howard is on the Lakers, he welcomes him to the team. He just thinks that the superstar with a larger-than-life personality needs a minor attitude adjustment. "This is not Orlando," he said.
Worthy has a good point — in fact, it's similar to the thrust of the column that Yahoo!'s own Adrian Wojnarowski wrote after the trade went down. Now that Howard is back in contention, he needs to put the antics aside and get serious. That's a smart point, no matter if you're a Lakers legend or not.

What makes it so bizarre to hear, though, is that the immediate reaction in Los Angeles was so overwhelming positive. Worthy's former teammate Magic Johnson, for instance, began to talk up the Lakers' title hopes within a matter of hours, and many Lakers fans followed suit. No one can criticize them for their excitement — Howard is really, really good, after all — but there was also a noticeable lack of perspective regarding what it takes to win in reality vs. on paper. The mere fact that Worthy didn't play cheerleader is notable, even though he's really just carrying out his analyst role responsibly.
With any luck, Worthy's comments will usher in a fresh period of Lakers-related realism rather than serve as a shocking example of a former legend criticizing a current star. Because, in the end, everything Worthy said here makes sense. Here's hoping that Howard takes it to heart.
More news from the Yahoo! Sports Minute:

Good points from Worthy. A Taciturn efficent player, I believe he holds the records for field-goal percentage in the playoff. It must be said that before D12 became a crybaby about two year ago, he was a non-controversial guy, will smile often and say all the right things. Regardless, he is an excellent addition to the Lakers and if they re-sign him, the kind of talent you can build a team around ...

Last edited:
There's also a lot to be said for managing expectations. If expectations are too high in the beginning while the coaches and players are still honing the system, the backlash from fans can be huge. We all know what that can mean.

From the onset of James Worthy's career, I have a high respect for the guy. In my books, a top-5 all time forwards to play the game. His no-nonsense approach to the game, and being drafted No.1 overall, he showed no antics of being a 'prima donna' type of player and he did just what he was expected to do, play his best. And his advise to Howard is simply to just play ball, just like he did. And if Howard heeds his advise, he'll get his first ring. Bad for the Celtics, but at least good for Miami. :D

Breaking the record would be nice, but dethroning the Heat would be better. :D

Can this Laker team be the greatest Laker team ever?

http://tracking.si.com/2012/09/17/lakers-metta-world-peace-73-9-record/?sct=nba_t2_a3

Metta World Peace says the Lakers want to go 73-9

Lakers forward Metta World Peace said the team will go after the Chicago Bulls NBA record for most wins in a season.

Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace is making big boasts about the upcoming season, especially since the Lakers acquired talents such as Dwight Howard, two-time MVP Steve Nash.

Put those pieces with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol and World Peace says he has a certain record in mind: The Chicago Bulls record for most wins in a season. Last season, the Lakers went 41-25 in a lockout shortened season before being eliminated in five games by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference Semifinals.

“We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9, that’s definitely something that I want to do,” World Peace said via Sports Radio Interviews. “Whoever is out there at the beginning of the season then we gotta get it. It’s as simple as that. We just have to go get it. I think people still have to go through the Lake Show. I think everything goes through the Lake Show.”

World Peace said that the Bulls record of 72-10, set in the 1995-96 season, has been on his mind.

“No question. You try to snatch records before you leave this earth. You gotta try to do a lot of great things so it’s definitely a goal,” he said. “With Dwight Howard, (Steve) Nash, Kobe (Bryant), myself, Pau (Gasol) and then (Antawn) Jamison and a lot of great additions it’s something that’s possible.”

Bold claim, tall order. That Bulls team had a hungry Jordan, Pippen and Rodman at the peak or near the peak of their careers, three guys who were arguably the best at the positions they played. Throw in Europe's best player then (Kukoc) and the games highest 3 point percentage shooter (Kerr), it's no wonder that team went 72-10.

I can just imagine all the players from the other teams reading this and saying "Oh no you don't!"

MWP has a real knack as a motivator. Unfortunately it's usually the opposing team!

With a refurbished first 5 this coming season, some people tell me the Lakers will not win the title because they have to jell. Well, I believe half the season is good enough for the 'newcomers' to jell, and I say that because the Celtics of 2008 did just that and won the title with new guys like KG, Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, PJ Brown and James Posey. To me what is more important is the will to win and that is the question for the Lakers this coming season. And their coach should wheel them to win as well. Boston has a few new guys too this year, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee, Jeff Green (who missed the whole season), and 2 new promising rookies, and if the will is there, they can dethrone the Heat as they were only 1 game away from the Finals last season. If they do that, with Dwight Howard and all, my chant is still 'BEAT L.A.' :D

Lakers say Howard out for start of training camp

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Dwight Howard won't finish his rehabilitation from back surgery in time for the start of the Los Angeles Lakers' training camp or their first preseason game next month.

The Lakers provided an update on the newly acquired center's condition on their website Thursday night, confirming their long-anticipated decision to take it easy in Howard's return from spinal surgery.
The team doesn't intend to announce a timetable for Howard's recovery, but says he won't participate in the start of training camp on Oct. 2, or the preseason opener in Fresno five days later.
The six-time All-Star has said he hopes to be ready for the start of the regular season Oct. 30, but the team isn't speculating.
Howard recently began working with the Lakers' training staff on his recovery from surgery last April repairing a herniated disc and doing additional cleanup. Howard's personal trainer is working alongside the Lakers' staff, and the center has experienced no setbacks.
Howard is doing core stabilization training while also getting in a little light running and shooting.
The Lakers can afford to be cautious with their new big man, acquired from Orlando in a four-team trade on Aug. 10 that sent All-Star center Andrew Bynum to Philadelphia.
Pau Gasol will be ready to play in the middle when training camp opens in two weeks, and the Lakers have years of experience in dealing with injured centers during Bynum's injury struggles.

if the back problem becomes pesky towards the end of the season, then it would have been a good thing that howard's contract with the lakers is only up to the end of the season. then, mitch gets to ponder and throw the dice again.

if the back problem becomes pesky towards the end of the season, then it would have been a good thing that howard's contract with the lakers is only up to the end of the season. then, mitch gets to ponder and throw the dice again.

That's a very good point

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu