New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Hi

The USA won by sheer number of uber-talents... It was closer than the score would indicate. The USA lack of interior defense was very clear to me. The USA had no reply to the Gasol brothers and it could have well swung the other way had it not been for the Durant, James, Bryant, Paul, Anthony juggernaut ... The NBA maybe going toward smallball, but it seems that truly skilled big men in the middle is the way to win.

The very rich get even richer. :) Lakers now has Meeks of the Sixers as another off the bench shooter. I was pretty impressed with Meeks on some Philly games for a few years now. And we thought the Lakers were done 'tweaking' their lineup. :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...kers-ebanks-meeks.ap/index.html?sct=nba_t2_a5

Lakers agree to terms with Meeks, re-sign Ebanks

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...kers-ebanks-meeks.ap/index.html#ixzz23UwUe3d6

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- The Los Angeles Lakers re-signed forward Devin Ebanks on Monday and added free agent guard Jodie Meeks.

Terms of the deals were not released.

Meeks, a three-year veteran, appeared in 66 games last season with the Philadelphia 76ers, averaging 8.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in 24.9 minutes.

Meeks has career averages of 8.1 points and 2.2 rebounds in 200 career games.

Ebanks, a second-round pick of the Lakers in 2010, played in 24 games last season and averaged 4.0 points, 2.3 rebounds and 16.5 minutes. Ebanks has career averages of 3.6 points and 1.8 rebounds in 44 games.

JO must really have a good agent. Now he brings his multiple pump fakes and season ending 'slight' injuries to the Phoenix Suns. :D

Phoenix Suns sign veteran center Jermaine O'Neal
The Associated Press – 1 hour 48 minutes ago

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns have signed 16-year NBA veteran Jermaine O'Neal.

Length of the contract wasn't disclosed.

The 6-foot-11 O'Neal is expected to back up center Marcin Gortat, a role previously held by Robin Lopez, who has been traded.

The 33-year-old center has career averages of 13.7 points and 7.4 rebounds. O'Neal was drafted 17th overall directly out of high school. Later, with the Indiana Pacers, he played in six consecutive All-Star games. He also played for Toronto, Miami and Boston.

At least Bynum is happy being in Philly as Kareem takes a jab at him. :D

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/08/15/bynum-welcomed-by-philly-ripped-by-kareem/

Bynum Welcomed By Philadelphia Fans, Gets Ripped By Abdul-Jabbar
August 15, 2012 · 2:33PM

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – There was a celebration in downtown Philadelphia on Wednesday, as new Sixers Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson were introduced at Philly’s National Constitution Center. The news conference was open to the public, and Philly fans made it clear that they’re happy with the acquisition of the team’s new franchise player.

More important, Bynum made it clear that he’s happy with the deal, and hinted that he’ll look to stay in Philly when he becomes a free agent next summer.

“To be honest,” Bynum said, “my first experience here is so great, I’m really leaning toward making it my home.”

But while Philadelphia was celebrating the arrival of Bynum, Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was taking a shot at his former pupil. In speaking with the Los Angeles Times‘ Mark Medina, Abdul-Jabbar compares Bynum to new Lakers center Dwight Howard, and finds Howard to be more “committed.”

“Dwight is very committed to playing and winning,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “Andrew has been up and down on that issue. There are times he wants to play, do a great job and he goes out and does it. Then there are other times where it seems like he’s not focused.”

Bynum was benched during a game last season for launching an ill-advised three-pointer and was fined by the team for his conduct. He was also ejected from two games in a two-week span and he sometimes acknowledged lacking effort. Those incidents soured an otherwise breakout season. Bynum posted career highs in points (18.7) and rebounds (11.8) and made his first All-Star team.

Abdul-Jabbar said he saw Bynum’s focus wane when he worked with him from 2005 to 2009. He said his coaching duties were significantly scaled back in the 2008-09 season after Bynum expressed a lack of interest to the Lakers’ staff in working with Abdul-Jabbar.

“When I first started working with him, he was eager to learn,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “He appreciated me shortening the learning curve. Once he figured he did everything he wanted to do in terms of learning, he didn’t want me to bother him constantly going over the fundamentals.”

You obviously have to respect Kareem’s opinion, and it was clear that Bynum didn’t have much respect for Lakers coach Mike Brown last season.

The 24-year-old Bynum gets a fresh start with a new team. Although he won’t be in the L.A. spotlight anymore, he’s got a whole franchise leaning him now. And the Sixers need him committed to more than just sticking around long term.

At least Bynum is happy being in Philly as Kareem takes a jab at him. :D

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/08/15/bynum-welcomed-by-philly-ripped-by-kareem/

Bynum Welcomed By Philadelphia Fans, Gets Ripped By Abdul-Jabbar
August 15, 2012 · 2:33PM

HANG TIME NEW JERSEY – There was a celebration in downtown Philadelphia on Wednesday, as new Sixers Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson were introduced at Philly’s National Constitution Center. The news conference was open to the public, and Philly fans made it clear that they’re happy with the acquisition of the team’s new franchise player.

More important, Bynum made it clear that he’s happy with the deal, and hinted that he’ll look to stay in Philly when he becomes a free agent next summer.

“To be honest,” Bynum said, “my first experience here is so great, I’m really leaning toward making it my home.”

But while Philadelphia was celebrating the arrival of Bynum, Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was taking a shot at his former pupil. In speaking with the Los Angeles Times‘ Mark Medina, Abdul-Jabbar compares Bynum to new Lakers center Dwight Howard, and finds Howard to be more “committed.”

“Dwight is very committed to playing and winning,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “Andrew has been up and down on that issue. There are times he wants to play, do a great job and he goes out and does it. Then there are other times where it seems like he’s not focused.”

Bynum was benched during a game last season for launching an ill-advised three-pointer and was fined by the team for his conduct. He was also ejected from two games in a two-week span and he sometimes acknowledged lacking effort. Those incidents soured an otherwise breakout season. Bynum posted career highs in points (18.7) and rebounds (11.8) and made his first All-Star team.

Abdul-Jabbar said he saw Bynum’s focus wane when he worked with him from 2005 to 2009. He said his coaching duties were significantly scaled back in the 2008-09 season after Bynum expressed a lack of interest to the Lakers’ staff in working with Abdul-Jabbar.

“When I first started working with him, he was eager to learn,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “He appreciated me shortening the learning curve. Once he figured he did everything he wanted to do in terms of learning, he didn’t want me to bother him constantly going over the fundamentals.”

You obviously have to respect Kareem’s opinion, and it was clear that Bynum didn’t have much respect for Lakers coach Mike Brown last season.

The 24-year-old Bynum gets a fresh start with a new team. Although he won’t be in the L.A. spotlight anymore, he’s got a whole franchise leaning him now. And the Sixers need him committed to more than just sticking around long term.

Guess Bynum would have never worked out on one of Wooden's UCLA teams. Wooden was all about fundamentals!

Guess Bynum would have never worked out on one of Wooden's UCLA teams. Wooden was all about fundamentals!

Yeah. Bynum's got another chance though with his new coach Doug Collins, who is known to develop young and talented players.

Last edited:
Report: Lakers Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is getting his statue

By Royce Young | NBA Blogger

If you whine about it, they will build it. Evidently.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is getting his Staples Center statue, according to the LA Times.

The Lakers are to unveil a statue featuring Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at some point during the 2012-13 season, The Times has learned.

A firm date for introducing the statue outside Staples Center hasn't been finalized.

Obviously an honor well-deserved for the NBA's all-time leading scorer. His statue will be the sixth outside the arena, joining those of Magic Johnson, Jerry West, legendary team announcer Chick Hearn, boxer Oscar De La Hoya and hockey great Wayne Gretzky.

But there's a fun little catch to Abdul-Jabbar's statue. It would probably be happening regardless, but last year he went on a strange rant about it after the Lakers unveiled Jerry West's.

"I don't understand [it]," he said at the time. "It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted. I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

His business manager even sent out a statement on his behalf about it: "I am highly offended by the total lack of acknowledgement of my contribution to Laker success. I guess being the lynchpin for five world championships is not considered significant enough in terms of being part of Laker history."

The Lakers simply said they couldn't be building new statues every day and promised the next statue built would be Abdul-Jabbar's. Responding to that, Abdul-Jabbar also tweeted this last year: "Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don't hold your breath. Lakers don't care about me."

Well, if you were holding it, you can breathe again.

OMG! Too many sports seasons.

I'd much rather be listening to music.

Report: Lakers Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is getting his statue

By Royce Young | NBA Blogger

If you whine about it, they will build it. Evidently.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is getting his Staples Center statue, according to the LA Times.

The Lakers are to unveil a statue featuring Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at some point during the 2012-13 season, The Times has learned.

A firm date for introducing the statue outside Staples Center hasn't been finalized.

Obviously an honor well-deserved for the NBA's all-time leading scorer. His statue will be the sixth outside the arena, joining those of Magic Johnson, Jerry West, legendary team announcer Chick Hearn, boxer Oscar De La Hoya and hockey great Wayne Gretzky.

But there's a fun little catch to Abdul-Jabbar's statue. It would probably be happening regardless, but last year he went on a strange rant about it after the Lakers unveiled Jerry West's.

"I don't understand [it]," he said at the time. "It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted. I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

His business manager even sent out a statement on his behalf about it: "I am highly offended by the total lack of acknowledgement of my contribution to Laker success. I guess being the lynchpin for five world championships is not considered significant enough in terms of being part of Laker history."

The Lakers simply said they couldn't be building new statues every day and promised the next statue built would be Abdul-Jabbar's. Responding to that, Abdul-Jabbar also tweeted this last year: "Rumor has it that I will be getting a statue. A caveat for all my fans-don't hold your breath. Lakers don't care about me."

Well, if you were holding it, you can breathe again.

I thought he ought to have that recognition long ago. Those Lakers titles in the 80s were all about him, imo. Magic was distributing the ball, but Kareem was THE money man, and I regard him as the best money man of all time and his sky hook was virtually unstoppable and came in like a dagger on crunchtime.

Ahh Gary

This is the thread where the men hang out and love to talk basketball. You should join us as this thread has become the number one responded to thread on WBF

And who would have thought that this number one most replied to thread would have started with a 'new album' by Dwight Howard, and after almost 2 years and near 2500 replies, it's still Dwight Howard in the limelight though he is now sporting a Lakers jersey - and I feel, he should make another 'new album', after all he is now in Hollywood. :D

Ahh Gary

This is the thread where the men hang out and love to talk basketball. You should join us as this thread has become the number one responded to thread on WBF

I appreciate the invitation, but my knowledge of basketball can be summed up in nine words, "Wilt Chamberlain", "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar", and "basket equals two points."

I thought he ought to have that recognition long ago. Those Lakers titles in the 80s were all about him, imo. Magic was distributing the ball, but Kareem was THE money man, and I regard him as the best money man of all time and his sky hook was virtually unstoppable and came in like a dagger on crunchtime.

Disagree those titles were about Magic, the 1979 title was Magic's when he played what many consideed the greatest game ever played and he was rookie. He played center by the way in this game Kareem was out with a headache ...
No slight to Kareem but Magic was The Man. He made it happen and could sub for Kareem and continued to make it happen when Kareem was no longer the player he used to be, it could be said that Magic added several years to Kareem career by palying as telling him: "just get yourself around the basket and you will get the ball... " :) Magic is one extraordinary player. He did truly make everybody around him better. Rarely have we seen a player with such a high basketball IQ... With Magic on the court the coach role becomes merely to look good in fancy suits (ouch! sorry Pat) and run some of the defense ... It wasn't only the assists but the positioning of the players, Magic would do that on offense and defense running the plays from his repertoire and by himself ... another Point Guard who could also do that is Isiah Thomas in but he didn't have Magic's versatility (Magic could and did play all 5 positions on the court)
Kareem deserves his statue but he's not the greatest Lakers, that title belongs to one of the best 5 players ever: Earvin "Magic" Johnson

Frantz,

My view was the 'Celtics fan POV'. :D That kinda 'blurs' my views about anything Lakers. :D Well, my objective assessment of Kareem dates back to his Lew Alcindor days, with the menacing sideburns, and he added to that 'mystique' by fighting Bruce Lee in a movie. :) It's about who can stop his skyhook, which was his main shot and responsible for most of his career all time points. As a team man, I give the nod to Magic, but as an individual player who can't be stopped, I can only see Lew/Kareem, and not even Jordan or Magic. Well, in the last playoffs, I saw a James that could not be stopped by anyone but his career has a long way to go despite being in the league for a long time. :)

Disagree those titles were about Magic, the 1979 title was Magic's when he played what many consideed the greatest game ever played and he was rookie. He played center by the way in this game Kareem was out with a headache ...
No slight to Kareem but Magic was The Man. He made it happen and could sub for Kareem and continued to make it happen when Kareem was no longer the player he used to be, it could be said that Magic added several years to Kareem career by palying as telling him: "just get yourself around the basket and you will get the ball... " :) Magic is one extraordinary player. He did truly make everybody around him better. Rarely have we seen a player with such a high basketball IQ... With Magic on the court the coach role becomes merely to look good in fancy suits (ouch! sorry Pat) and run some of the defense ... It wasn't only the assists but the positioning of the players, Magic would do that on offense and defense running the plays from his repertoire and by himself ... another Point Guard who could also do that is Isiah Thomas in but he didn't have Magic's versatility (Magic could and did play all 5 positions on the court)
Kareem deserves his statue but he's not the greatest Lakers, that title belongs to one of the best 5 players ever: Earvin "Magic" Johnson

I remember that game well (I think)

Was that the one vs the Celts where he won the game on a mini sky-hook

No

It was Magic's first year in the NBA the Lakers just out of college 1979 (where of course he lead his team, Michigan State to NCAA Championship over Larry Bird team, Indian (?) ) vs the Sixers lead by Julius "Dr J" Erving and Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins. Kareem could not play so Magic played center and delivered what many believe to be the greatest game ever played in an NBA championship series with 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals of course Finals MVP(wonder how many rookies have ever been MVP Finals ...).. It bears repeating the kid was 20 years old and a ROOKIE !!!! ...

Steve,

The baby sky hook with 1 second left was in the 1987 Finals with the Celtics on the parque floor. That one really hurt as it was the winning shot. But being a Celtic fan, I always remember how Magic committed 3 blunders in the '84 Finals - overdribbling in Game 2 that led to OT, making a crucial bad pass to Kareem late in closing minutes of Game 4 at the Forum, and missing 2 free throws late in the same game - earning him the monicker 'Tragic Johnson' in the Boston press. But other that those, he's a great guy and great friend of Larry Bird. :D

No

It was Magic's first year in the NBA the Lakers just out of college 1979 (where of course he lead his team, Michigan State to NCAA Championship over Larry Bird team, Indian (?) ) vs the Sixers lead by Julius "Dr J" Erving and Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins. Kareem could not play so Magic played center and delivered what many believe to be the greatest game ever played in an NBA championship series with 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals of course Finals MVP(wonder how many rookies have ever been MVP Finals ...).. It bears repeating the kid was 20 years old and a ROOKIE !!!! ...

I remember that game too, and it has been replayed a few times of NBA's greatest games. That game should be marked in stone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu