New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

CLIPPERS SIGN MATT BARNES

That should make Ron and many others happy he's gone from the Lakers

But not from the Stapples Center :)

Signing D12 was a Master Stroke. The knd of deal most Front Office can't even begin to know how to pull off. The likelihood of D12 getting back to his good young self are higher than 50% with all the progress of modern Sports Medicine and you can bet the enire Lakers Organisation yearly payroll that said organization would have done its due diligence before signing him. The unknown is the re-signing. Winning a championship will move the probability of re-signing in the certainty territory. Even without D12 the Lakers as they are this year remain dangerous with the signing of Steve Nash.
The season hasn't and it already look more entertaining than last years's...

Can this news be good for the Knicks? It has only been 'two' years since he last played in the NBA.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/09/23/rasheed-wallace-works-out-knicks/?sct=nba_t2_a5

Rasheed Wallace works out with Knicks

Will Rasheed Wallace be with the Knicks next season?

Rasheed Wallace could be back in the NBA next season.

The former All-Star was seen working out with the New York Knicks’ Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas on Saturday and the team is reportedly considering the 38-year-old for a roster spot next season, according to a tweet from ESPN NBA analyst Ric Bucher.

Wallace last played in the NBA in 2010 as a member of the Boston Celtics. His last game was against the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, in which he scored 11 points on 5-for-11 shooting as a starter over the injured Kendrick Perkins. He was bought out by the Celtics later that summer and officially announced his retirement.

In February of this year, CSNNE.com reported that the former NBA champion would sign with the Lakers, but the report panned out to be nothing more than rumor.

Wallace, who was instrumental in leading the Detroit Pistons to an NBA title in 2004, would be paid the veteran’s minimum by the Knicks should this latest rumor prove to be true. He would add depth to a veteran frontcourt that already includes Camby, Thomas, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler. Together, those four alone have an average of 14 years in the NBA. Wallace’s addition would also mean that the Knicks have four of the nine oldest players in the NBA.

For all of ye Lakers fans, Dwight finally working out in LA.

Can this news be good for the Knicks? It has only been 'two' years since he last played in the NBA.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/09/23/rasheed-wallace-works-out-knicks/?sct=nba_t2_a5

Rasheed Wallace works out with Knicks

Will Rasheed Wallace be with the Knicks next season?

Rasheed Wallace could be back in the NBA next season.

The former All-Star was seen working out with the New York Knicks’ Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas on Saturday and the team is reportedly considering the 38-year-old for a roster spot next season, according to a tweet from ESPN NBA analyst Ric Bucher.

Wallace last played in the NBA in 2010 as a member of the Boston Celtics. His last game was against the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, in which he scored 11 points on 5-for-11 shooting as a starter over the injured Kendrick Perkins. He was bought out by the Celtics later that summer and officially announced his retirement.

In February of this year, CSNNE.com reported that the former NBA champion would sign with the Lakers, but the report panned out to be nothing more than rumor.

Wallace, who was instrumental in leading the Detroit Pistons to an NBA title in 2004, would be paid the veteran’s minimum by the Knicks should this latest rumor prove to be true. He would add depth to a veteran frontcourt that already includes Camby, Thomas, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler. Together, those four alone have an average of 14 years in the NBA. Wallace’s addition would also mean that the Knicks have four of the nine oldest players in the NBA.

You mean as Vescey called him, Rash-weed.

And Dolan's been flirting with Isaiah again too. What a fool. Rasheed has to be one of the last guys I'd expect a late stage comeback from. May as well sign Antoine Walker too.

What do you Kincks fan think they should do at the organizational level? Melo and Amrre are superior talent and the coach seems Ok...so what do you think they need?

No!! I am not "loaning" them Mitch Kupchack nor Jadis would Danny Ainge , nor Sam Presti (Thunders' GM):D

That is good news, hoping it gets implemented this season.

http://www.inquisitr.com/347302/nba-may-start-punishing-floppers/

NBA May Start Punishing Floppers
Posted: September 28, 2012

The NBA could start punishing floppers this season.

David Stern met with Jeff Van Gundy and the rest of the league’s new competition committee today to talk about different strategies to deal with floppers. New rules haven’t been set yet but several sources are reporting that the league may start punishing floppers by issuing fines after games.

Stern, who reffered to flopping as “trickery” and “deceit,” said that a player could get a memo following a game, saying:

“Greetings from the league office. You have been assigned flopper status … No, I’m joking, but something like that. That sort of lets people know that it’s not enough to say ‘it’s all part of the game.’ “

Stern added that the competition committee was in favor of punishing floppers but exactly how it was going to be done had to be decided.

Stern said:

“If you continue to do this, you may you have to suffer some consequences. What those exactly should be and what the progression is is to be decided … We want to put a stake in the ground that says this is not something that we want to be part of our game, without coming down with a sledgehammer but just doing it in a minimalist way to begin stamping it out. And I think there are ways we can do that and we’ll have to wait and see exactly what we come up with.”

The competition committee, which is comprised of several coaches, owners, and general managers from around the league also discussed expanding instant replay to cover flagrant fouls and goaltending. ESPN reports that the competition committee can’t actually change any rules. Their suggestions will need to be approved by the league’s Board of Governors.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/347302/nba-may-start-punishing-floppers/#7DXOCBCl5JyCtMdv.99

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/09/nba-to-start-punishing-floppers/

Kobe talks as if he is the ultimate player in Lakers history. Steve Nash is well grounded......

Kobe Bryant says Lakers still belong to him

by Reid Cherner, USA TODAY

The Lakers have added to their sled in the offseason but let there be no mystery as to who remains the big dog in Los Angeles.

Dwight Howard will man the middle. Two-time MVP Steve Nash will set the tempo. But everyone will dance to Kobe Bryant's tune.

"I got a question earlier about whose team this is," Bryant said at Lakers media day. "I don't want to get into the 'well, we share...'no it's my team. But I want to make sure that Dwight, when I retire, this is going to be his. I want to teach him everything I possibly know so that when I step away this organization can ride on as if I never left."

Nash says "I think this is Kobe's team. For the media's perspective, this is Kobe's team." But he adds that "anyone who's ever played on a basketball team, it's also our team. The team needs to share in that responsibility. Kobe can't do everything...we got to be there for him every day."

The 34-year-old Bryant averaged more than 38 minutes a game last season. He also averaged 23 shots, the most of any season except for one in his career.

Kobe calls Lakers his most talented team ever

From Yahoo sports...

LOS ANGELES – Kobe Bryant won three NBA championships on Los Angeles Lakers teams with Shaquille O’Neal. The 2003-04 Lakers also had a talent-heavy roster that included Bryant, O’Neal, Karl Malone and Gary Payton, even though they lost in the NBA Finals. And Bryant’s last two titles came with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum by his side.
Yet, Bryant now looks around at his current teammates – a star-filled group that includes Gasol, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash – and calls this season's Lakers his most talented supporting cast ever.

Kobe Bryant's fingers have remained ring-less since the Lakers won their 2009 title. (AP)
"On its face, it’s the best talent I’ve been around," Bryant said. "Whether that translates into winning a championship remains to be seen. But just on paper you’re talking Defensive Player of the Years, MVPs, All-Stars. You’re talking about a myriad of things. Guys who are at the top of their position at one point or another. It’s pretty dope."
One thing is for certain: After acquiring Howard and Nash in the offseason, these Lakers won't lack for attention. More than 300 media members attended the opening of the Lakers' camp, overwhelming the air conditioning at the team's practice facility. Excited Lakers fans peered over a fence in the morning prior to the start of media day hoping to get a glimpse of anyone in gold and purple.
"For me, my expectations are to prepare to play, to improve, perform and build a team," Nash said. "When you’re concentrating on that, you don’t focus on what other people’s expectations are. You set your own standard. You set your own expectations. You try to live up to those every day."

Howard's only NBA Finals trip was a loss to the Lakers in 2009, and his recovery from back surgery could determine with L.A. is able to make a title run with him. Lakers coach Mike Brown said Howard is in great shape and has been playing one-on-one with assistant coaches Darvin Ham and Chuck Person. Brown, however, was uncertain as to when Howard would be cleared to scrimmage. The Lakers begin practice Tuesday with Howard expected to participate in a fashion dictated by how his body feels, Brown said.
"I want him to take his time. But at the same time, I’m not a doctor. It’s up to the training staff," Brown said.
Gasol said he will start at center in Howard’s absence while Jordan Hill is expected to start at power forward. Antawn Jamison will likely come off the bench. Howard, however, didn't rule out playing opening night.
"It’s a goal, but I’m not rushing it," Howard said. "Everybody wants me to play on opening night. But we are not going to rush it."
Another big question hanging over Howard: Can he play well with Bryant?
Bryant and Howard say they are on the same page and will do what is needed to succeed. Bryant is still the Lakers' top option offensively, but Howard will certainly want his touches in the post.
"It’s my team," Bryant said. "But I want to make sure that Dwight knows that when I retire this is going to be his. I want to teach him everything I possibly know so this organization can ride as if I never left."
Nash will be tasked with trying to keep both players happy.

"They both feel very blessed to play with each other," Nash said. "Kobe, especially at this stage of his career, has an unlimited amount of appreciation to have a center of Dwight's ability that can control and run the floor. For Dwight, it's a pleasure to play with someone who can take the pressure off of him, who can create his own shot, take the shot at the end of the game. Dwight can concentrate on being a center that just racks up big numbers and makes it difficult for the other team and rely on Kobe to do all the finishing."
There's no denying the hype surrounding the Lakers. Time will tell if the Lakers can live up to it.
"Everybody here expects us to get it done or to be one of the teams that is playing into June," Bryant said.

What do you Kincks fan think they should do at the organizational level? Melo and Amrre are superior talent and the coach seems Ok...so what do you think they need?

No!! I am not "loaning" them Mitch Kupchack nor Jadis would Danny Ainge , nor Sam Presti (Thunders' GM):D

Am a longtime NYer but not a Knicks fan. Grew up in Chicago and that's where my sports heart is. Anyway, first thing is to get rid of Melo. He's not a winner. I'd feed him the ball 30 times a game first half of the season, let him lead the league in scoring to pump up his value, then see what you can get. I like Amare, but he's not movable with his contract/knees. I'm serious about the above -- it's what Bellichek would do I he was coach. Otherwise they're pretty stuck -- not a cap expert but bein uncle to sign Lin gives a sense of how handcuffed they are with the two big contracts.

An NYers going to Knicks/Nets season opener in Brooklyn btw? Can't wait

It's official. Floppers will be fined. Now, how about instant replay for those 5-7 steps traveling. Those are *not* judgement calls like fouls. One step too many can be clear as daylight on instant replay.

NBA sets flopping penalties; repeat offenders will be fined

Story Highlights
NBA will warn first-time floppers then issue fines for subsequent offenses
It will define flop as act intended to cause ref to call a foul on another player

NEW YORK (AP) The NBA is warning players to stop the flop.

If not, it could cost them.

The league will penalize the floppers this season, fining players for repeated violations of an act a league official said Wednesday has "no place in our game."

Those exaggerated falls to the floor may fool the referees and fans during the game, but officials at league headquarters plan to take a look for themselves afterward.

Players will get a warning the first time, then be fined $5,000 for a second violation. The fines increase to $10,000 for a third offense, $15,000 for a fourth and $30,000 the fifth time. Six or more could lead to a suspension.

"Flops have no place in our game -they either fool referees into calling undeserved fouls or fool fans into thinking the referees missed a foul call," vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said in a statement. "Accordingly, both the Board of Governors and the competition committee felt strongly that any player who the league determines, following video review, to have committed a flop should - after a warning - be given an automatic penalty."

Players cautioned that it would be difficult to completely eliminate flopping, but welcomed the attempt to try.

"It's good. Guys can't be flopping and get away with anymore," Oklahoma City guard James Harden said. "It was bound to happen at some point. Obviously, the league got fed up with it and they put it in. I'm happy they did."

The NBA said flopping will be defined as "any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player."

"The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact," the league said.

Commissioner David Stern has long sought to end flopping, believing it tricks the referees. But the league determined it would be too difficult for refs to make the call on the floor, preferring instead to leave it to league office reviews. Jackson's department already reviews flagrant foul penalties to determine if they should be upgraded or downgraded.

"I'm all on board for it," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "I think it needs to be addressed. I think the steps they're taking right now, I think will benefit the game. I do. It remains to be seen if it truly has an impact. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

"It's not good for the game; nobody likes the flop. A majority of coaches don't like the flop, particularly if you're trying to build a solid defense."

Rasheed Wallace raged against it for years, picking up quite of a few of his 308 technical fouls for arguing that he was called for a foul because a player flopped. After ending a two-year retirement to join the New York Knicks, he said certain unnamed players were going to be in trouble and agreed penalties needed to be enforced.

"Hey, you all thought I was crazy for saying it over the last so-and-so years. I ain't even gonna get into it, but yes," he said. "They needed to bend on that."

The blame for the rise in flopping is often aimed at the international players who came to the NBA after growing up watching soccer, where falling down in hopes of drawing a foul is part of the game. Denver's Danilo Gallinari, an Italian, believes that's unfair.

"I don't know why everybody just talks about European flopping," he said. "I don't know where this thing comes from. We flop as much as other players all around the world flop. I don't know why everybody keeps saying that Europeans are soft or Europeans flops. I don't know."

Cleveland's Anderson Varejao is a renowned flopper, once one of the targets of Wallace's wrath. But he said he's a changed man now.

"I'm not flopping anymore," he said Monday with a smile. "I used to flop a little bit."

The league said it will announce a separate set of flopping penalties for the playoffs at a later date

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...a-flopping-policy.ap/index.html#ixzz28HxK99Ei

‘SUPERMAN’ DRAMA RETURNS IN LAKERLAND BETWEEN SHAQ & DWIGHT

By Sekou Smith

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – They couldn’t even get through a full week of training camp in Los Angeles before the dueling big men of the Lakers’ past and present got cranked up again.
This time it’s current Lakers center Dwight Howard firing back at former Lakers center (and current TNT analyst) Shaquille O’Neal for his seemingly never-ending assault on Howard’s game and name.
The latest dust-up stems from words Shaq uttered on “Open Court” (clip above, debut episode airs Tuesday at 11 p.m. ET on NBA TV), when he ranked Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum over Howard when the conversation turned to the best big men in the game.
“We as players, we always watch people before us,” O’Neal said. “When I came in, it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who’s a pick-and-roll player, some people say he’s the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I’m going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket.”
Shaq was later corrected by other members on the “Open Court” panel for mistaking Hornets center Robin Lopez for his twin brother on the Nets. But the damage was already done.
By the time the information was relayed to Howard after the Lakers finished practice Thursday, well … as you might expect, it wasn’t pretty.
(The fireworks kick off at the 5:31 mark of the video, below.)

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2012/10/04/121004Howardmov-2237290

Howard fired back at O’Neal for being a hypocrite, disingenuous and basically washed up.
“I don’t care what Shaq says,” Howard said. “Shaq played the game. He’s done. He’s gone. It’s time to move on. He hated the fact when he played that the older guys were talking about him and how he played and now he’s doing the exact same thing. Just let it go. There’s no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He’s one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Just sit back and relax. You did your thing. Your time is up. So, I don’t really care. I don’t really care. He can say whatever he wants to say.”
The Lakers will retire Shaq’s jersey this season. But don’t expect any warm embraces from one big man to another. Howard doesn’t seem at all interested in any meeting of the minds between giants.
“What do we need to get on the same page for?” Howard said. “I have respect for him and what he did for basketball. That’s it. Like I said, he’s already did his thing. He played. When my time is up, there’s going to be somebody else who can do everything I can do, and probably do it better. Instead of me talking about him, I’ll do my job to try to help him to get to where I’m at. I think that’s what guys who have done it before us should do.”
The crack in this relationship dates back Howard’s Orlando roots and the fact that he not only followed in Shaq’s footsteps there as the face of the franchise and one of the elite young bigs in the league, but also at his adoption of the Superman nickname that Shaq had used years earlier.
Rather than rehash all of the foolishness that has transpired between the two over the years, we’ll just go ahead and agree with Howard on one thing: It’s time for both men to move on from this petty feud.
Both of them have their own credentials (Howard is obviously still working on his impressive pile) that should get them into the greatest-big-men-of all-time club long after their playing careers have faded from the minds of fans.
So there’s really no point in this continued sparring over who might be the best when they’ll both rank behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain and Olajuwon (for starters), when the discussion of the greatest big man of all time starts up.
Howard had much more pressing matters to tend to anyway, namely helping Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol try to unseat the Miami Heat as NBA champs. He can’t win a war of words with Shaq because the big fella has the bully pulpit every week on TNT and NBA TV.
Again, it’s time for both men to simply move on from this entire mess.

Lin just 1 of 10 in Rockets pre-season loss. The weight of his huge contract will be Lin's burden in the coming regular season. And if his numbers are woeful, then NYK should feel relieved.

Witherspoon scores 17, Spurs beat Rockets 116-107

HOUSTON (AP) -- Wesley Witherspoon scored 17 points to lead the San Antonio Spurs to a 116-107 win over the Houston Rockets in a preseason game Sunday.

Danny Green added 15 points on 6 of 9 shooting, including 3 of 5 on 3-pointers. DeJuan Blair had 16 points, Cory Joseph added 12 and Manu Ginobili 11.

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker played the first quarter and sat the rest of the game.

Donatas Montiejunas led Houston with 16 points off the bench. Omer Asik added 13 points and 11 rebounds.

Jeremy Lin struggled with four points on 1 of 10 shooting. Houston did not dress Kevin Martin and Patrick Patterson.

San Antonio used a 13-1 run to open up an 86-71 lead with 11:26 remaining. Witherspoon had seven points during the run.

And the Dwight Howard 'era' has not even started yet.

Is LeBron the Lakers' next big target?
If Kobe Bryant hangs it up in 2014, the door is open for a new King of Los Angeles
Originally Published: October 18, 2012
By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

With the Lakers expecting major cap room in 2014, LeBron may have another big decision to make.

No team reloads like the Los Angeles Lakers.

Their track record of leveraging their hometown appeal and history, plus applying shrewd management, over the past 30 years is virtually without peer.

With their latest coups -- the stunning Steve Nash sign-and-trade and a victory in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes -- just now coming together for the first time, could the Lakers already be plotting out the next one?

Opposing executives think so. As teams continue their long-range planning and work up opposition strategies, the Lakers remain just as much a threat in the transaction game as they are on the court.

Several teams' executives have told ESPN.com they believe the Lakers are positioning themselves to make a run at LeBron James in 2014, when the Miami Heat star can choose to become a free agent.

In just two years, LeBron James could take over the starring role in Lakerland from Kobe Bryant.

Recently, Kobe Bryant told CBSSports.com that he sees himself playing only two more seasons (2012-13 and 2013-14) and then retiring at age 35. Bryant said similar things in an interview with Yahoo! Sports over the summer.

Bryant has two years left on his contract, and next season he is scheduled to become just the second player ever to earn more than $30 million in a season. The other was Michael Jordan.

Whether or not you believe the ultra-competitive Bryant will follow through with that retirement plan, his statements seem to be a sign that a contract extension or new contract is no sure thing.

In the wake of the Howard trade, much as been made of the massive luxury-tax bill the Lakers are facing next season if they're able to re-sign the big man. ESPN.com salary cap expert Larry Coon has estimated the Lakers could be on the hook for as much as $85 million just in taxes in 2013-14.

But look a little further, to that 2014-15 season, and you'll see something else: The Lakers' projected payroll is almost completely clear. Only Nash is signed for that season, at $9.7 million, though the Lakers will also be paying about $20 million to Howard if they can re-sign him this coming summer.

In July 2014, Bryant's $30.4 million, Pau Gasol's $19.2 million, Metta World Peace's $7.7 million, Steve Blake's $4 million and Jordan Hill's $3.5 million will come off the books. There likely won't even be any first-round draft picks filling up the cap, either, as the Lakers have already traded their 2013 first-round pick to Phoenix in the Nash deal.

Opposing teams that are making their own long-range free agency plans think they see the Lakers' plan coming into focus. As it stands, L.A. will have enough cap space to add a superstar like James.

"It's not a mistake that all those deals end the same year Kobe's does. They have probably been planning for their next phase for a while," said one general manager. "The Busses and [Lakers GM] Mitch [Kupchak] are always thinking about the next big deal."

No one knows this better than Bryant himself, who has been the beneficiary of the Lakers' aggressive maneuvers for 16-plus years.

"I knew how much the Buss family, Jeanie and so forth, wanted to turn it around," Bryant told CBSSports.com. "I've seen them do it. They rebuilt first by picking up Shaq. ... Then that era was over and they rebuilt again. And now they've rebuilt again. I've seen them do it before."

If Bryant does move on after 18 seasons, as he has openly talked about, they may be ready to do it again.

Whether or not James would be interested in listening to a Lakers offer in two years is impossible to predict now. Remember, in 2008, it was hard to see James ending up in Miami in 2010 even though Heat president Pat Riley, a product of the Lakers' way of thinking, was already preparing to make it happen.

At the moment, the Heat are loaded and poised to be title contenders for the next two seasons.

James is signed through 2016, but he can end his contract in either 2014 or 2015 if he wishes to. He has recently said that he's not thought about his contract decision in 2014, even though he recently switched agents. But observers around the league expect James to opt out of his contract in 2014, no matter what happens with the Heat over the next two seasons. That doesn't mean he won't stay in Miami, but it does mean he might be in play again.

"The agent part probably doesn't matter. LeBron is the best player in the league and he's making less than the max, so unless he's seriously hurt he's going to opt out in 2014, if only because I would assume he wants and deserves to get a true max," said one league executive. "Even if the Heat win the next two titles there's a feeling that LeBron is going to become a free agent in two years no matter what."

Just as during the period from 2008 to 2010, James' free agent plans will probably become a big topic over the next 21 months. They will definitely be a part of various teams' long-term cap planning. Presumably, that list of teams includes the Lakers.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on Chris Paul, LeBron's best friend in the NBA. James has wanted to team up with CP3 for seven years or more. In 2005, when Paul was about to be drafted, James asked the Cavs to attempt to move up to get Paul, but the Cavs did not have the assets to pull off such a trade.

Paul and James have only grown closer since, playing together on Team USA four times since 2006 and winning gold medals in 2008 and last summer. Paul will be a free agent in 2013, and his situation could influence James' plans a year later.

In any case, the Lakers are positioning themselves to be major players again, post-Bryant. Based on their long track record, there's no reason to believe they won't aim for the biggest star possible. In 2014, that likely will be LeBron James.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu