New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Whatta game in the first battle of the boroughs. :D

Monster game by Chandler and Melo, but D-Wil and Brook Lopes met the challenge. And how bout 38 year old Jerry Stackhouse nailing 4 tres and a crucial one in OT. Boy, we've got a NY story. And the opening 'dance number' of Jay Z and Coach Avery bumping hips was nice to watch. Beyonce at courtside was another beauty to watch. :)

And the Clippers lose again. They're just 1 game ahead of the Lakers now. And Coach Vinnie must be feeling some pressure.

From David Aldridge's NBA blog

NOBODY ASKED ME, BUT ...
Might it not be time for the Lakers to pull the trigger on a Pau Gasol deal?
Kobe Bryant walked off the court in the waning seconds of Friday's loss in Memphis, a show of bad form to be sure, but also an unmistakable sign of his disgust at a .500 record, with no immediate sign that Mike D'Antoni's hiring will right the Lakers' up and down play.
There were ominous hints dropped last week that the Lakers aren't happy with Gasol's conditioning, never a good omen. It's more likely that, as Mike Brown found before him, D'Antoni knows Gasol and Dwight Howard don't quite fit together -- and since Howard is the future of the franchise, it's more likely he stays long term than Gasol. Thus, the need to get something for the 32-year-old while the getting's good.

Both Pau Gasol (right) and Derrick Williams could use a change of scenery.
So, why not deal Gasol to the Timberwolves, as part of a three-team trade that would also include the Wizards?
Again: I have no information -- none -- that the Lakers are contemplating trading Gasol, or are entertaining or seeking offers for Gasol. This is pure speculation, not information or even rumor. This is me thinking out loud.
In this (imaginary) deal, Washington would send second-year forward Chris Singleton and former Laker Trevor Ariza to the Lakers, who would also get guards Luke Ridnour and J.J. Barea from Minnesota. The Wizards and Wolves would, essentially, swap 2011 Lottery picks about which both are quite uncertain, with Washington's Jan Vesely going to Minnesota and Minnesota's Derrick Williams going to Washington, along with center Nikola Pekovic. Guard Chris Duhon would go from the Lakers to Wizards to make the trade work cap-wise.
The Lakers may list Gasol at power forward, but that's only because they've had Andrew Bynum and, now, Howard on the roster. Gasol, too, is a center. And in Minnesota, he could return to that position and get the most of his still-considerable array of post moves and deft passing.
And the Wolves' interest in Gasol is hardly news. They've tried to make a deal for him for the last year or so, without success. Gasol playing next to Kevin Love would open up all kinds of possibilities in Rick Adelman's offense, harkening back to the Sacramento days when Chris Webber and Vlade Divac sliced up opposing defenses with brilliant passing from the high and low post. When Ricky Rubio comes back next month, there wouldn't be a better passing team in the game than Minnesota.
By all accounts, Williams made an earnest effort to come to camp in shape this season, but it isn't translating into many more minutes (a little under 24 minutes a game this season, after 21.5 minutes last season). And with Love back sooner than expected from his broken hand, those minutes are more likely to go down than up.
Dealing Williams now would also streamline the Wolves' rotation, with Dante Cunningham capable of backing up Love quite nicely, with no worries about stunting the development of a high Lottery pick. Vesely would have to get in where he could fit in in Minnesota, but Gasol's arrival would get all the attention, allowing Vesely a soft landing and giving Minnesota a bigger young body than Williams to mix into the rotation.
Washington and Los Angeles have done deals before -- the Wiz got Caron Butler from the Lakers in 2005 for, um, Kwame Brown -- so Ernie Grunfeld owes Mitch Kupchak one. This deal would give the Lakers four players who would seem to be much better fits for D'Antoni's system than Gasol, adding to L.A.'s depth with veterans, but at a price that won't give management sticker shock; Ariza's $7.3 million salary would be the biggest of the quartet by far, and none are under contract for more than three years.
Giving the Lakers two wings in Ariza and Singleton that could add greatly to the team's athleticism and transition abilities would be a boost. Ariza's shot has been defective the last couple of years, but he won a title with Bryant in 2009 in L.A. before signing a big free agent contract with the Rockets. He knows what playing with the Mamba is like. And Steve Nash has a way of getting the most out of teammates who can run the floor.
Barea could also thrive playing in D'Antoni's system. He showed in the 2011 playoffs with Dallas he could play important minutes at both guard spots to help his team win games. And if Nash's broken leg limits him this season, having quality depth at the point in Ridnour and/or Barea would keep the Lakers' offense running -- if not at peak efficiency, at least at an acceptable level. (Or did you see the look Kobe gave Darius Morris after Morris missed a wide-open jumper Friday?)
The Wizards are growing concerned with each passing second that Vesely, the sixth pick overall in 2011, is heading toward Bustville; getting another shot at a 2011 Lottery player would solve the problem, and they liked Williams a lot before the '11 Draft.
Williams' spotty rookie year and minutes this season while Love was out seem to have proven that he's no NBA three, but the woeful Wizards' needs are many, so he'd get every chance in the world to solidify himself at the four in Washington, leaving Martell Webster, who's played well so far this season, to start at the three. Adding big Pekovic to the mix would also give the Wiz legit center depth along with promising Kevin Seraphin if and when Nene's next injury sidelines him for a month or two.
The Wizards would also be out of excuses; with the top pick in the 2010 Draft (John Wall), the second pick in '11 (Wiliams) and the third pick in 2012 (rookie Bradley Beal), they would be following owner Ted Leonsis's desire to build through the Draft; dramatic improvement over the course of this season following Washington's disastrous start had better follow.
If Draft picks were needed to sweeten the deal, the Wolves have Memphis' top-14 protected pick next year to dangle, and the Wizards have all their first-rounders going forward. (Though it's hard to imagine anyone helping the Lakers, facing the post-Bryant era in two years, replenish themselves with young, cheap talent.)

I've always liked Pau Gasol but he may not be a good fit with the current Lakers lineup.

He and Kevin Love together would be interesting, especially when Ricky Rubio returns. Both Love and Gasol can work the inside and the outside on offense.

And my Clippers - doesn't look good right now.

I read too on a cnnsi rumour page that there was supposed to be a Gasol for Amare trade with the Knicks but it was immediately denied by both LA and NY. It was said too that Amare would have been worse for the Lakers, and LAL would inherit a bigger and longer contract than Gasol.

I'm a bit puzzled by this sudden demise in the play of Pau, after all, he was one of the grittiest big player I've seen in those 2 back to back titles of LA in '09 an '10. Some even regard him a 'hero' for the game 7 win over Boston in '10 for grabbing that rebound and follow up basket late in the game. So what happened to this guy after that? He's still very far from being an Odom and his trade value is not easy to move with this $19m a season contract. And just last year, there were talks of a Rondo-Gasol trade. What if that had happened? Hmmm...

Last edited:
While LA lost this one, it's surprising that they lost by only 2, as one commentator said at the 3rd quarter, LA shot 31% and was down by only 4. I saw Gasol got smothered by Hibbert, and he lost the ball and missed more shots as the game went on. In sum, starters Morris had 1 point and Peace had 4. Jamison, their 6th man, had 3. If Nash comes back, he's got his work cut out for him. And, if LA loses some more, Mitch and Buss might be wondering if D'Antoni was the 'best' coach for LA. :)

barclay.jpg

Had a great time at the game. Stadium is cool in that coming in thru the main gate (the POV above), you see straight into the 'bowl' of the arena, there's a large cutout where seats typically are.

Teams really loosened up in the second half, it'll be a blast if they go toe-to-toe in the playoffs. Am sticking to my belief the Melo is not a winner despite a great night where he was as physical as anyone on the floor. He still thinks it's all about clearing out for him at the end to take the shot and makes no one better in a game or at practice. Haven't seen them play much this year, but think Knicks missed Kidd a lot -- though he can't cover anybody, he's the only guy who gets the ball to the arc shooters (they've been winning with 3pt shooting) in a way that gets them the space they need. Felton dribbles and looks around for someone else to run the pick and roll with now that Amare's out. No takers in the rest of the lineup.

Not the best angle, but note the old Net banners hanging -- ABA champioships along with the numbers of Erving, Drazen Petrovic and a couple others.

The Knicks are another surprise .. it doesn't seem that it will be a cakewalk for either the Heat or the Thunder to meet again ... The road is tougher than I expected ... The Grizzies are another surprise team and the Clippers may (pardon me the pun) clip many an unsuspecting team ... and I will never count the Lakers out .. s

Yeah, the Nets and the Knicks are playing very well. Nets got 2 very good bigs who can rebound and score on the put back in Evans and Blatche. I am quite impressed with Blatche, even in his Wizards days. The C's need this kind of a guy. :D And not to mention the Nets first 5 is very solid in all positions. And Avery is doing quite well. The Knicks are deep as well, and they've got Amare resting on the sidelines, still waiting for his day. The ideal situation come next June is for the Heat to meet the Nets and the Knicks in the first 2 rounds. :D The C's are not yet up there unless they buy a true center to help in the rebounding department.

Rondo Suspended Two Games; Garnett and Wallace Are Fined

By PETER MAY

BOSTON — Rajon Rondo told the N.B.A. Thursday that he felt he had not done “anything dirty” and that his altercation with the Brooklyn Nets’ Kris Humphries Wednesday night was no more than “a pushing war.”
The N.B.A. did not see it that way and announced that Rondo would be be suspended two games. It was Rondo’s third suspension in less than 10 months, and the prevailing thought was that he would get at least three games, perhaps five. The lead official, James Capers, said Rondo was the undisputed instigator in the fracas, which involved several players. The 6-foot Rondo shoved the 6-foot-9 Humphries after Humphries fouled Kevin Garnett. Humphries was called for a technical for contact after the whistle.

Garnett was fined $25,000 and the Nets’ Gerald Wallace $35,000 for their roles in the melee.“I thought the play on Kevin was a malicious play,” Rondo said Thursday at the Celtics’ practice facility before the suspension was handed down. “I got hurt last year on a similar play — a guy going up in the air, defenseless, on his way down. I just pushed Humphries. I didn’t try to start a riot. I don’t think it was more than a pushing war.”

Rondo, Humphries and Wallace all were ejected from the game, which the Nets won 95-83, their second victory over Boston in 13 days. Rondo and Humphries were determined by the officials to be fighting, an automatic suspension. Wallace and Garnett picked up technicals for jostling in the scrum. Wallace was ejected because he had picked up a technical foul 33 seconds earlier for complaining about a non-call on Rondo.

Celtics Coach Doc Rivers blamed Humphries, saying, “the foul was what precipitated everything. That started it.”

Garnett tore into Humphries during an appearance on WEEI. “Dude’s always been known to be out of control,” Garnett said. “He’s always tried to play the tough guy or whatever role you want to do it.”

It was the third suspension for Rondo since last Feb. 19, when he was suspended for two games for throwing a ball at the official Sean Wright during a game at the Palace of Auburn Hills. He also was suspended for one game in the first round of the 2012 playoffs for bumping the referee Marc Davis in Game 1 at Atlanta.

Rondo will miss Friday night’s home game against Portland and Saturday night’s game in Milwaukee. Both teams have difficult point guards — the rookie Damian Lillard and Brandon Jennings.

Asked Thursday about having difficulty controlling his emotions, Rondo said: “I play with an edge every night. That’s what separates me from a lot of guys. I’m not going to let them take that away from my game. I didn’t do anything dirty.”

The ejection also Rondo’s streak of 10-plus assists at 37, tied for second in league history. He had three against the Nets.

The Celtics, from GM Danny Ainge to Rivers to Garnett, went out of their way in training camp to say that the time had come where Rondo was the undisputed leader of the team. He has been the undisputed offensive leader for years. But he also can be high maintenance and his prickly relationship with Allen (which had once been rock solid) was one of the reasons Allen signed with Miami.

The Nets’ manhandling of the Celtics prompted Rivers to say, “we’re a soft team right now. We have no toughness. That stuff (the fighting)? That’s not toughness.”

I was expecting a suspension. Good thing for the C's it was only 2 games. And this is not even the playoffs yet. There will be more rivalries than the past now that the Nets and Knicks are in the picture. And for some reasons the brawls more often than not happen in the East. (Artest brawl, J.Van Gundy grabbing the leg of a player, etc.) :)

And I was looking forward to this game.

Spurs playing without 4 regulars in Miami:

MIAMI (AP) -- San Antonio is playing at Miami on Thursday night without Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green, who were sent home by Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to rest.

Duncan, Parker and Green are starters. Ginobili is the team's top reserve.

Popovich says the decision was made when he saw the schedule, and that it had nothing to do with facing the Heat. Thursday's game was the sixth road contest in nine nights for the Spurs, who won the previous five on the trip.

Popovich has made similar moves in the past to rest his older players, such as Duncan. He says he added Green to the list on Thursday because he's logged a lot of minutes. Green has played a team-high 496 minutes in San Antonio's first 16 games.

NBA STAR ANDREW BYNUM SUES NEIGHBORS

By Evan Schwartz

NBA star Andrew Bynum is suing his neighbors in Los Angeles, and they in turn are countersuing - not great news for a guy currently riding the bench. Bynum, who was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers from the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, filed a lawsuit against his neighbors in suburban LA, claiming they "object" to his“profession, his race, his friends, his cars, and his taste in music.” Bynum claims he was "harassed" by his neighbors in the tony Westchester neighborhood in LA, and filed suit on June 1.

Bynum's neighbors, the Beckett family, countersued in July, saying the following in their suit:

"Andrew Bynum is a great basketball player and a terrible neighbor who presumes that being an NBA All Star entitles him to party like a rock star in the otherwise quiet Westchester neighborhood where he lives."

"Bynum has demonstrated open contempt for the Becketts specifically and for the neighborhood generally by blasting loud, profane, and disrespectful music and video games at window-shaking volumes; by letting his dogs run loose through the neighborhood; by apparently engaging in illegal drug use and permitting marijuana smoke to drift into the Becketts’ backyard; by constructing a fence on his property which is not in compliance with the community codes and regulations; by conspicuously brandishing firearms in an attempt to threaten and intimidate the Becketts in retaliation for their legitimate complaints; and, perhaps most seriously, by recklessly racing his luxury cars through the neighborhood at dangerous speeds where children or others could be injured or killed.”

Bynum is injured at the moment, working his way back from a knee procedure over the summer, and has yet to make his 76ers debut. Here's to hoping the NBA star isn't sued by his neighbors in Philly.

NBA STAR ANDREW BYNUM SUES NEIGHBORS

By Evan Schwartz

NBA star Andrew Bynum is suing his neighbors in Los Angeles, and they in turn are countersuing - not great news for a guy currently riding the bench. Bynum, who was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers from the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, filed a lawsuit against his neighbors in suburban LA, claiming they "object" to his“profession, his race, his friends, his cars, and his taste in music.” Bynum claims he was "harassed" by his neighbors in the tony Westchester neighborhood in LA, and filed suit on June 1.

Bynum's neighbors, the Beckett family, countersued in July, saying the following in their suit:

"Andrew Bynum is a great basketball player and a terrible neighbor who presumes that being an NBA All Star entitles him to party like a rock star in the otherwise quiet Westchester neighborhood where he lives."

"Bynum has demonstrated open contempt for the Becketts specifically and for the neighborhood generally by blasting loud, profane, and disrespectful music and video games at window-shaking volumes; by letting his dogs run loose through the neighborhood; by apparently engaging in illegal drug use and permitting marijuana smoke to drift into the Becketts’ backyard; by constructing a fence on his property which is not in compliance with the community codes and regulations; by conspicuously brandishing firearms in an attempt to threaten and intimidate the Becketts in retaliation for their legitimate complaints; and, perhaps most seriously, by recklessly racing his luxury cars through the neighborhood at dangerous speeds where children or others could be injured or killed.”

Bynum is injured at the moment, working his way back from a knee procedure over the summer, and has yet to make his 76ers debut. Here's to hoping the NBA star isn't sued by his neighbors in Philly.

One of these days there will be a lemon law for Major League trades .. Got the feeling LA wanted soooo much to dump him.

Spurs hung in well last night and only lost by 5.

Great parity in the league this year

Right, Steve. Great parity. Some teams have fantastic players not in the starting lineup who are fun to watch. I was surprised that the Spurs gave a great fight without their 4 major players. Coach Pop is into something here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu