New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

FYI none of the NY sports stations wants Howard :)

Dwight Howard apologizes, says he needs to stop complaining
The Lakers center was not happy after getting only five shots in the team's loss to Chicago, but he promised to improve his attitude.

By Mike Bresnahan
1:37 p.m. CST, January 23, 2013

MEMPHIS -- In an almost-empty locker room, Dwight Howard took accountability.

The Lakers center apologized for complaining about not getting enough touches and promised to improve his demeanor on the NBA's most underperforming team this season.

"It starts with me," he said Wednesday after the Lakers' morning shoot-around. "I have to be more of a player out there on the court and not worry about anything, not complain. Just do what I do best."

Howard was not happy after getting only five shots in the Lakers' 95-83 loss Monday to Chicago. He kept telling reporters to "look at the stat sheet" after the game.

"That was immature," he said Wednesday. "I shouldn't have done it.

"I've just got to go out there and dominate defensively and make it tough for teams. I just have to get back to doing that and not worry about the offense."

Some Lakers fans think Howard should be traded before the Feb. 21 deadline. He becomes a free agent July 1.

"I understand why they're saying that because they feel like I have an opportunity to just walk away," Howard said. "That is my choice at the end of the season but right now my focus is tonight and us doing something real special in L.A. We have that opportunity and we can't close the door on the opportunity that we have in front of us. We can turn this thing around."

Howard, however, would not commit to a future with the Lakers.

"We're not discussing that," he said. "Right now, our goal is to win. All I want to do is win. I have to put all my energy into winning and sacrifice whatever I have to do and humble myself."

Howard also tried to reset the team's expectations ahead of Wednesday's game against the Memphis Grizzlies.

"I think this will be the start of a new season for us tonight. Hopefully our effort and energy is where it needs to be," he said.

Of course, Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni used similar words in saying the team needed to restart its season last week. The Lakers (17-24) beat Cleveland and Milwaukee but have lost three in a row since then.

Dwight Howard Trade Rumors: Brooklyn Doesn't Want Lakers All-Star, Can You Blame Them?

By Michael C. Jones

COMMENTARY | As the trade rumors involving Dwight Howard begin to gain traction, one team that was once among the frontrunners to make a bid to acquire the All-Star has reportedly lost interest.
According to the New York Daily news, the Brooklyn Nets are happy with Brook Lopez as their center and will not make a play for Howard via trade or in the offseason should he elect to test free agency. It's yet another sign that the Lakers' season has taken an incredible turn in the wrong direction after so much promise.
What a difference half a season makes. The Lakers are 17-24 and in third place in the Pacific Division. Dwight Howard is right in the middle of a circus of a situation in Laker-land with the wrong coach running the wrong system with the wrong players.
Howard hasn't been awful this season, but he hasn't been himself, either. The numbers don't tell the whole story -- he's averaged 17.1 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game in 38 games played in 2012-13, but in doing so, he's struggled to find any rhythm within the framework of the new offense under head coach Mike D'Antoni.
Why are the Nets sticking with Lopez? Even though he hasn't rebounded at the same rate as Howard, his production is similar. He's averaged 18.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, and a career-high 2.1 blocks per game. Additionally, he's no t nearly as much of a liability at the free-throw line, which is a major concern to any team late in games. This season, he's shot at a 74 percent rate and is a 79 percent free throw shooter for his career. Howard is right around 50 percent for this season and his career.
Still, there are bigger reasons:

No drama
The NBA isn't that far removed from its "Dwightmare," where Howard effectively held the Orlando Magic franchise hostage before eventually being traded out of Central Florida. He's made no commitment to Los Angeles at this point, and he's shown a propensity for wavering on nearly all aspects of his game and contract situation.
In his post game interviews, he's cited everything from not getting enough shots to lack of effort as being the culprit for the Lakers' woes this season.
The Nets don't want any part of that.

Howard's health
While looking at the numbers doesn't show a glaring decline in production, watching Howard play absolutely does. The three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year is clearly not himself, and is still suffering from the effects of back injury that caused him to miss the end of last season after undergoing surgery.
A torn labrum in his right shoulder caused him to miss three games in January, and it's uncertain whether or not he's completely free of pain in that respect, either. The bottom line is that if he's damaged goods, then teams will shy away from him or be unwilling to give what the Lakers feel is market value.
Even if the book on Howard is being exaggerated and he's not immature, soft or injury-prone, then the Lakers are still hurting him by association. Their gross under-performance has teams like the Brooklyn extremely tentative to make a move for him and reevaluating their take on Howard.
It's ironic and amazing all at the same time. It wasn't long ago that Lakers fans were talking about a 17th banner at Staples Center.
Again, what a difference half a season makes.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/23/kobe-bryant-dwight-howard-lakers-meeting/?sct=uk_t2_a3

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard reportedly confront issues in tense Lakers meeting

Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant have appeared at odds during the Lakers’ struggles. (Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

Kobe Bryant directly asked Dwight Howard if he disliked playing with him during an emotional Lakers team meeting Wednesday, according to a Los Angeles Times report.

“Guys went at each other a little bit,” said a witness to the meeting prior to Wednesday morning’s shoot-around.

Coach Mike D’Antoni began the meeting by telling the team he was tired of reading newspaper stories in which players questioned his offense. Bryant and Howard both were quoted criticizing the offense after the team’s 95-83 loss Monday in Chicago. Howard said he was unhappy taking just five shots in the game.

When D’Antoni asked players to speak up, Steve Nash, who led D’Antoni’s offense for four seasons in Phoenix, said he didn’t care which offense the team used so long as everyone was comfortable.

Bryant then acknowledged that he could be “hard to play with” before asking Howard if that bothered him. A person who witnessed the meeting said Howard’s answer was unclear, but that “He didn’t go back at Kobe.”

Later at the shoot-around, Howard told reporters he was sorry for complaining about his number of touches and took responsibility for his play.

“It starts with me,” Howard said. “I have to be more of a player out there on the court and not worry about anything, not complain. Just do what I do best.”

The NBA truly has evolved through the years. Skyscraper salaries. Players whining to be traded. Players causing coaches to be fired. Super players wanting a team to be 'his team'. Grudges. All these smack of un-professionalism and a lack of desire to win for the team that pays them incredible sums of money.

I remember the year 1986, when a recovering Bill Walton called up the Boston Celtics to tell them that he wanted to play with them and help them win a title. He even visited Robert Parish's home to tell Parish that he wasn't going to steal his job as starting center but to back him as center or power forward if called for. The result was the 16th title for the C's and no Celtics fan can forget the high 5 and hug Walton had with Kevin McHale when the title as cemented in the closing minutes of the final game. Walton was a starting center of the '77 champion Trailblazers and was the main man then, though I doubt he really cared about such terms. The desire and intensity to win and help his team win was commendable. Perhaps this can be said about Lebron going to Miami to help them win but I guess most would rather not hear about it, including me. :D Howard's pro career might be spiraling down not because of a lack of talent but a lack of proper attitude in playing. I guess very few teams will want to take him in the light of what's happening, and who knows, Howard might one day find himself shopping himself in China or Turkey.

Dwight Howard Trade Rumors: Brooklyn Doesn't Want Lakers All-Star, Can You Blame Them?

By Michael C. Jones

COMMENTARY | As the trade rumors involving Dwight Howard begin to gain traction, one team that was once among the frontrunners to make a bid to acquire the All-Star has reportedly lost interest.
According to the New York Daily news, the Brooklyn Nets are happy with Brook Lopez as their center and will not make a play for Howard via trade or in the offseason should he elect to test free agency. It's yet another sign that the Lakers' season has taken an incredible turn in the wrong direction after so much promise.
What a difference half a season makes. The Lakers are 17-24 and in third place in the Pacific Division. Dwight Howard is right in the middle of a circus of a situation in Laker-land with the wrong coach running the wrong system with the wrong players.
Howard hasn't been awful this season, but he hasn't been himself, either. The numbers don't tell the whole story -- he's averaged 17.1 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game in 38 games played in 2012-13, but in doing so, he's struggled to find any rhythm within the framework of the new offense under head coach Mike D'Antoni.
Why are the Nets sticking with Lopez? Even though he hasn't rebounded at the same rate as Howard, his production is similar. He's averaged 18.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, and a career-high 2.1 blocks per game. Additionally, he's no t nearly as much of a liability at the free-throw line, which is a major concern to any team late in games. This season, he's shot at a 74 percent rate and is a 79 percent free throw shooter for his career. Howard is right around 50 percent for this season and his career.
Still, there are bigger reasons:

No drama
The NBA isn't that far removed from its "Dwightmare," where Howard effectively held the Orlando Magic franchise hostage before eventually being traded out of Central Florida. He's made no commitment to Los Angeles at this point, and he's shown a propensity for wavering on nearly all aspects of his game and contract situation.
In his post game interviews, he's cited everything from not getting enough shots to lack of effort as being the culprit for the Lakers' woes this season.
The Nets don't want any part of that.

Howard's health
While looking at the numbers doesn't show a glaring decline in production, watching Howard play absolutely does. The three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year is clearly not himself, and is still suffering from the effects of back injury that caused him to miss the end of last season after undergoing surgery.
A torn labrum in his right shoulder caused him to miss three games in January, and it's uncertain whether or not he's completely free of pain in that respect, either. The bottom line is that if he's damaged goods, then teams will shy away from him or be unwilling to give what the Lakers feel is market value.
Even if the book on Howard is being exaggerated and he's not immature, soft or injury-prone, then the Lakers are still hurting him by association. Their gross under-performance has teams like the Brooklyn extremely tentative to make a move for him and reevaluating their take on Howard.
It's ironic and amazing all at the same time. It wasn't long ago that Lakers fans were talking about a 17th banner at Staples Center.
Again, what a difference half a season makes.

Look at Lopez's numbers in the last 13 games since PJ took over. Interesting how it coincides with their 11-2 run.

Guys, the Lakers are more than in trouble after yet another road loss to Memphis. They are like a dead, rotten carcass that smells worse from day to day and game to game. No Dee, Dwight exits early because of re-injuring his shoulder. Jawing now going on in the locker room. No morale,spirit, spunk, vigor. They are slow, listless, disenchanted and going through the motions. Winless on this road trip and now 8 games under .500 and well out of playoff contention.

Lakers need something and IMO it needs to start with the coach. If his system isn't working, then he needs to re-think his options to maximize his players. Will Dwight leave. He'd be a fool not to consider it based on what's happening with the team. However Dwight is now injured goods and Lakers might be unable to deal him even if they wanted and Dwight if he leaves might be unemployed as no one seems to be biting

Even if they have a turn around they need to bite the bullet and get rid of D'Antoni. Phil will never coach again and seems destined to become a minority owner of the new Seattle Super Sonics while working in the front office, so how about this

Students under Phil NEED to be considered
Curt Rambis
Brian Shaw

or how about Jeff Van Gundy

It will be interesting by virtue of nepotism what the league office will say about the engagement of Jeannie Buss and Phil Jackson and his possible front office position and minority ownership in the new Seattle team while his fiance's family owns the Lakers

The Lakers need to look forward - way forward. The way their current player contracts are structured, almost every player contract comes off the books after the 2013/2014 season.

Their biggest issue now isn't coaching - both Brown and D'Antoni are competent NBA coaches. They already owe Brown $10,000,000 and another $12,000,000 to D'Antoni. Their biggest issue is a roster that is full of severely overpaid and underperfroming players who can't and won't work together.

If their plan was to build the franchise around Dwight Howard after Kobe is gone - no way. Howard isn't a leader and isn't even a performer. Maybe he was OK in Orlando but he won't make it in LA. He's not cut out for it. He has destroyed his image with his antics over the past two years.

Their current payroll is nearly $100,000,000. I heard on the radio (Laker flagship station) that they would have to pay nearly $40,000,000 in luxury taxes with this payroll next year under the new NBA agreement. Even with their massive new Time Warner TV contract, that's a huge amount of money.

There is no short term fix for the Lakers I don't think - made even more evident this evening after being blown out by the Grizzlies. This followed their big air-clearing team meeting. I watched that game - they were not impressive to say the least.

I love Phil Jackson but even he couldn't fix this mess - nor could he get little Jimmy Buss out of the way.

They need to start looking two years out. I don't think they have a prayer this year or even next year.

After the 2013 - 2014 season they are committed to only $9,000,000 in player contracts.

The current Laker era is over - as grand as it was - time to start over.

i recall there was a time when the Lakers were hitting a low low point, prior to the 06-07 season and Kobe wanted to be traded away. But in came Pau and some help and the title was theirs after 2 years. Today, it would not be possible for Kobe to move away to chase his 6th ring, he has a no-trade clause.

Tell you what. The Nets would be idiots to trade Brook Lopez for Dwight Howard. Lopez is arguably the best center in the league this year, especially since PJ took over the reins of the Nets.

I believe so too. Lopez poured in 22 tonight against the Wolves. He has been averaging good points. And off the bench comes Humphries, Blatches, and CJ Watson. Not bad for an 8 man rotation. If they foul out , Bogans and Stackhoue are still available to do decents jobs. And Avery Johnson said he wouldn't have fired himself. Yeah, right. :D

In the summer of 2004 Kobe turned down a big contract offer from the Clippers to re-sign with the Lakers. Shaq was traded shortly thereafter to the Heat.

Rudy Tomjanovich became the Lakers coach - Rudy didn't stick around very long.

How about the Warriors who in the past 2 days have beaten both the Clipps and the Thunder

Anyone say Mark Jackson for Coach of the Year

Have to acknowledge the Warriors and Mark Jackson - they have played (and he has coached) great basketball. Many doubted Mark's capabilities as a coach when he stepped out of the broadcast booth. He has most certainly quieted his critics.

Baffling 5th straight loss by the Celtics after 6 straight wins. Hard to understand what's ailing the C's but it seems they have not offensive pattern and even Jason Terry may have forgotten how to drain the outside shots. On paper they have the manpower but it seems Doc is playing 2 sets of players, first 5 and second five, with the second five clearly losing leads and doing catch ups. They might even miss the playoffs if this goes on. Weird season for the Celtics and the Lakers. I think both teams and fans can now relate to each other and forget their rivlary. :D

Baffling 5th straight loss by the Celtics after 6 straight wins. Hard to understand what's ailing the C's but it seems they have not offensive pattern and even Jason Terry may have forgotten how to drain the outside shots. On paper they have the manpower but it seems Doc is playing 2 sets of players, first 5 and second five, with the second five clearly losing leads and doing catch ups. They might even miss the playoffs if this goes on. Weird season for the Celtics and the Lakers. I think both teams and fans can now relate to each other and forget their rivlary. :D

I only saw the last minute of the Celts - Knicks game. Carmelo tried to give the game to the Celts when he air-balled a shot out of bounds. Then Paul Pierce fumbled the ball out of bounds when he was set up to take the last shot. Neither team seemed to want to win that game.

...and the Clippers lost their third in a row to the lowly Phoenix Suns, looking really bad in the process.

I watched the 1st half of the Clippers game on TNT but got tired of Charles Barkley dogging Blake Griffin. Reggie Miller is not a friend of the Clippers either. Didn't help that the Clippers gave them plenty of ammo tonight.

Charles and Reggie droned on that the Clippers are not a championship team - apparently they don't know what it takes to win the championship since neither of them ever won one in their long NBA careers. :mad:

I usually like Charles in the studio but he is a horrible game announcer.

Have to acknowledge the Warriors and Mark Jackson - they have played (and he has coached) great basketball. Many doubted Mark's capabilities as a coach when he stepped out of the broadcast booth. He has most certainly quieted his critics.

I was always impressed by how he ran the offense when he played for Indiana considering he wasn't exactly Speedy Gonzales by the time he got there. I'm pretty sure he learned a lot under Coach Brown about defense too. I was a huge Pacers fan in the 90's. Sorry Myles! :p

I only saw the last minute of the Celts - Knicks game. Carmelo tried to give the game to the Celts when he air-balled a shot out of bounds. Then Paul Pierce fumbled the ball out of bounds when he was set up to take the last shot. Neither team seemed to want to win that game.

...and the Clippers lost their third in a row to the lowly Phoenix Suns, looking really bad in the process.

Clippers too? Gee... What's with this trend? Rockets went on a big losing skid too of late. Well, they still have 30+ games to find their bearings, these losing teams (who should be winning).

Funny, Rondo and Pierce have been playing really sloppy ball. For them with championship experience I never have seen them play this bad with so many turnovers, like their minds were out of their bodies. Boston lacks a guy who will average 25 points or more a game. They don't have such a guy now, and that is the problem with their offense. It's relying too much on passing to the open man but these days men are not that open anymore so guys like Durant, Kobe and Carmelo are essential.

Last edited:
Enjoy.

[video]http://devour.com/video/uncle-drew/[/video]

The guy can make it in Hollywood after his NBA life. :D

He's very good. Seeing him drop 40 points over the C's the other day. Impressive game.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu