New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Vinny

Vinnie Del Negro

THE more I am looking at what's going on the more the Heat look to be the Champion , a foregone conclusion.. The Griz don't stand a chance the Knicks neither ... seeing how much problem the Celtics are causing them you thin they can stop the Heat freight train?
I am not sold on George Karl by the way, I think I wrote in this thread that he never won the Finals and only went there once .. Same scenario: His teams look good during the regular season, make some noise during the playoff and don't reach the finals ... Classic G. Karl teams..
As for the Lakers and their management .. One has to wonder what they are really thinking leaving d'antoni at the helm ...
I think Phil Jackson is trying to pull a Riley in Detroit: Taking their sweet time to build a monster team. It may work. Detroit has the tradition, Jackson has the gravitas and knowledge to attract good players... That looks like the only competition the Heat will have for a long time .. Chicago even with Rose healthy can't play them for 7 games ...

OKC, the only team in the NBA with the firepower to sling it out with the Heat look vulnerable: they don't destroy the way the Heat do ... I don't think the Knicks nor the Celtics can win one game vs these guys let alone knock them out in 7 games .. No one in the NBA seem to be able to.. It looks like they may win ALL their playoff games ... I hate the Heat... :(

Sadly I agree Frantz

as for Phil Jackson's role as a consultant to hire a Detroit coach, it seems that it is nothing more than just that. I haven't read anything long term other than perhaps with the Raptors in Toronto

The Zen Master will help Detroit find a new coach. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Kurt Rambis!

By Tom Ziller

Phil Jackson has just made the Detroit Pistons' head-coaching job the last one anyone will ever want to interview for. The 11-time NBA champion coach will advise GM Joe Dumars and owner Tom Gores during the search for a coach to replace Lawrence Frank, who was sent packing in the season's wake. Can you imagine interviewing for the job and having to sit across from the Zen Master to ply your B.S.?

Because that's what it appears much of the coaching dance is: he who can peddle the best malarkey wins. I'll never forget the stories that came out of Eric Musselman's successful interview with the Sacramento Kings in 2006. It was something like a two-hour PowerPoint presentation that blew the Maloofs and Geoff Petrie away. It hit all the key points -- the importance of defense, accountability and connecting with the fans through positive interaction. Musselman got a DUI in the preseason, lost the locker room remarkably early in the season and reportedly didn't speak to lead assistant Scott Brooks for months. That PowerPoint must have been really good.

Honestly, I think having Jackson in the process, even if he doesn't dedicate time to sit in on interviews, cuts a lot of the nonsense out right off of the top. These candidates will be too nervous he'll call them out on gimmick stuff ... even though he's sort of the King of Gimmicks, with his book club, novelty offense and Eastern philosophy. If I'm a candidate walking into the Palace to convince Jackson and Dumars to hire me, I'm going to focus entirely on Xs and Os, not how I'm a master motivator that speaks on players' levels and can get them to practice hard on Christmas morning. Jackson knows how hard it is to get players consistently motivated.

The real endgame here (in addition to the stipend Gore will no doubt pay) is, of course, to spread Jackson's coaching tree. He doesn't currently have one acolyte in a head-coach role in the NBA. Kurt Rambis spent two miserable years in charge of the Timberwolves, and Brian Shaw is likely to have a job next season. That's it. Jim Cleamons had a head coach stint with Dallas years ago, and Bill Cartwright spent some time running the Bulls. But neither of those guys are in play for current openings (at least publicly) and neither produced their own acolytes.

Unless Rambis gets another chance, which, man, that's going to be tough, Shaw is it. He's the only viable branch on the coach tree for Jackson. It seems obvious that he would end up taking over Detroit with Jackson advising, so long as the 76ers don't scoop him up first. (He'd also be a hot rumor in Sacramento if that issue is settled in time.)

So if this happens according to plan, Jackson gets paid to give his coaching tree a much-needed boost. Win-win. Phil Jackson remains a step ahead of everyone else.

Mike D'Antoni seems secure in position, buys Manhattan Beach home

I guess he plans on staying :(

For the Mike D'Antoni detractors, there certainly doesn't seem to be any momentum for pushing him out as coach of the Lakers.

As reported by Lauren Beale of the Times, D'Antoni has purchased a $6.9-million home in Manhattan Beach.

D'Antoni left the New York Knicks voluntarily. Buying a home in the Los Angeles area certainly suggests he's not resigning his position with the Lakers.

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak has been clear that he has every intention of giving D'Antoni a chance to prove what he can do with the team given a full training camp and a healthy roster.

The Lakers fired Mike Brown five games into the season. D'Antoni coached for 72 games but helped lead the team to a 28-12 finish -- a 57-win pace.

With Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Jodie Meeks and Metta World Peace all injured during the playoffs, the Lakers were swept in the first round by the San Antonio Spurs.

While the Staples Center crowd chanted, "We want Phil!" through the very last game, a Phil Jackson reunion doesn't appear to be in the cards.

If his position is in any danger, D'Antoni certainly doesn't seem concerned.

If the Clippers lose, Vinny Del Negro can't stay and Chris Paul might leave

Interesting read......

By Tom Ziller

The Clippers' series has turned 180 degrees over a week. Vinny Del Negro can't survive a loss, and Chris Paul may not stick around anyway.

A week ago I wrote about how getting booted from the NBA playoffs by the L.A. Clippers could lead to the end of the Zach Randolph era in Memphis. Whoops.

The Grizzlies and Z-Bo in particular have stormed back. After averaging 13 and six in Games 1 and 2, Randolph has averaged 25 and 10 over the past three. Memphis lost those first two games. It has won the past three. On Thursday, it can clinch the series at home.

So perhaps we'll put the brakes on discussing Z-Bo's future. Because all of a sudden the questions are trained on Los Angeles.

For the third straight game, L.A.'s top-10 defense was pummeled by a Memphis offense that often has trouble scoring. Z-Bo's been at the center of that. At the same time, L.A.'s typically lovely offense has struggled since Game 1 to get off the ground against the league's best defense. In Game 1 the Clippers had an offensive rating of 134, which is phenomenal against any opponent, let alone one as defensively stout as Memphis. Since then? 103, 96, 96, 107. You can win games at 103 and 107 ... but not at 96 and not when you're letting the Grizz score as easily as they did Tuesday.

It's impossible to watch a team with this much offensive talent struggle to score without thinking about Vinny Del Negro, as easy and cheap as it might feel. Likewise, it's impossible to watch the Clippers slow Z-Bo for two games, take command of the series and then watch him go nuts for three games without wondering when the adjustments are coming. The broadcast team talked about Del Negro planning to front Randolph more to keep him off the offensive glass, where he gets a lot of clean-up buckets. He had five offensive rebounds in Game 5. Memphis picked up a third of all offensive rebound opportunities as a team, which is on the high end. The adjustment didn't work.

At times this season, the Clippers looked legitimately great. Chris Paul is a wizard, and he was in command much of Tuesday. When CP3 and Blake Griffin are on, that's an unstoppable pick and roll. But the Grizzlies have stopped it, and now Blake's hurt and might not play in Game 6. In Memphis. Where the Grizzlies are 2-0 this series and 16-1 since early February.

If L.A. loses this, can both CP3 and VDN hang around? Remember, Paul is a free agent this summer, too. It would have seemed improbable that he'd leave the Clippers after turning around the franchise over two years. But losing in the first round would be a distinct step backwards. It's hard to imagine Del Negro surviving a first-round loss, even given the fact that the decision-making process in L.A. is strange, mysterious and possibly ruled via Ouija board. (The headline of the press release announcing that Gary Sacks was basically the new GM of the team last offseason read "Gary Sacks assumes role of Clippers VP of basketball operations." Assumes role? Like, did he inherit it? Was it a coup? Is he just assuming he's in charge because everyone else left for a pack of smokes and didn't come back?)

So if Del Negro gets canned, how do the Clippers cater to CP3 and convince him to stay? L.A. can offer a longer, more lucrative contract, but it also offers Donald Sterling and a distinct stench of Clipperdom. Does Sacks have the power, comfort and ability to go out and land a high-profile coach like Stan Van Gundy? Will someone like that -- a guy who can basically have his pick of the available jobs -- commit to L.A. without knowing if CP3 will be back? It's a very uncomfortable situation, similar to the 2010 Cavaliers, who canned Mike Brown in an apparent attempt to keep LeBron, and hired a coach in Byron Scott who thought he'd have LeBron for 2011 and instead had Mo Williams and later Baron Davis.

There's really no middle ground if the Clippers lose this series. VDN can't stay, and CP3 might flee. My, how the series has changed.

Tough loss by the Celts Phil. When they were way down I started to lose interest and when I looked up again it was a 4 point game. they just couldn't bring it home

yeah steve, same here. i was just monitoring via the net as my local cable did not air it. seeing a 20 point deficit midway made me think the c's are going on vacation finally but i was surprised too when i clicked again in the late 4th and saw a 4-6 point difference. c's just lack the manpower. knicks vs pacers, to challenge the heat.

What a lousy game.

It'll be interesting in light of the Clipps flaming out in the first round whether Chris Paul will re-sign with the Clipps. Maybe Gasol to Clipps and CP3 to the Lakers. IMO spend the money and go after Paul and say sayonara to D12 but that's wishful thinking on my part.

Wow, ugly series loss by the Clippers. Made worse by going up 2-0 only to lose 4-2.

Dream on about Chris Paul to the Lakers - not enough young talent there to attract him...and not enough room for two egos like Kobe and CP3. Same issue that Kobe and Howard had. There's still only one ball in an NBA game. :)

I don't see the Clippers paying $19 million to a way past his prime Pau Gasol either. Clippers would be better off with Bledsoe at the point if Paul does leave and looking elsewhere for better wing players.

Still trying to figure out why Vinnie was playing Grant Hill and Chauncey Billips in the 4th quarter - but the game was not close at that point anyway

I do agree that the Lakers should pass on Howard. He doesn't have it in him to lead a team, especially in a pressure packed situation like the LA Lakers.

Should be an interesting offseason for the Lakers and the Clippers.

Phil, sorry to hear about the Celtics, too.

Wow, ugly series loss by the Clippers. Made worse by going up 2-0 only to lose 4-2.

Dream on about Chris Paul to the Lakers - not enough young talent there to attract him...and not enough room for two egos like Kobe and CP3. Same issue that Kobe and Howard had. There's still only one ball in an NBA game. :)

I don't see the Clippers paying $19 million to a way past his prime Pau Gasol either. Clippers would be better off with Bledsoe at the point if Paul does leave and looking elsewhere for better wing players.

Still trying to figure out why Vinnie was playing Grant Hill and Chauncey Billips in the 4th quarter - but the game was not close at that point anyway

I do agree that the Lakers should pass on Howard. He doesn't have it in him to lead a team, especially in a pressure packed situation like the LA Lakers.

Hi WLVCA,

We're in the same boat as Steve, eliminated and possibly facing an uncertain future, as far as our teams are concerned. Disappointing ending for the Clips after a strong regular season and good 2-0 start against Memphis. The Clips are 11-man deep on paper. Maybe Vinnie cannot take that kind of a rich talented team in his hands. If only a coach like Thibodeau handled the Clippers it would have been a different story, I can imagine.

I don't know what's worse, the Lakers being blown out in 4 games or the Clipps winning their first 2 games only to be swept in the next 4

Things aren't right with the Clipps

Do you think the Paul will resign with the Clipps if Del Negro is there next year.

As for D12, I truly believe the guy is conflicted. I believe that he hates it in LA and wants out but is staring at a 5 year $125M contract which is $40M and one year more than other teams can offer. I also believe that he is conflicted because he hates D'Antoni's style of play but doesn't want to begin lobbying for the removal of yet another coach as well as the wonder of where the Lakers will be next year in their rebuild as well as the uncertainty of Kobe's future

Long and the short of it he's is a very immature but talented young man who is in the spotlight and as the saying goes, "open mouth, insert foot"

I also believe that Kobe's comments that the Lakers can win with the same core of players is pipe dreaming

Pacers vs Knicks. Feels like the 90s all over again. I think the Knicks will win it but I'm hoping it will be a fierce series.

I think the Pacers can take the Knicks.

Embarrassing loss for the Clippers. Lost composure at the end. And when you're having trouble scoring, why the heck was Crawford on the bench for the fourth quarter? They were playing like Barnes was their go-to scorer. Lots of head-scratchers in the game.

Vinnie del Negro was trying to coach and that's the best he could do. Took 6 games for Vinnie to figure out he should double ZBo and Marc Gasol.

Matt Barnes did man up for these games. Not playing Jamal Crawford - unbelievable. Love Chauncey and Grant Hill, but they didn't belong out there in crunch time. Bledsoe saved the Clippers against the Grizzlies last year in the playoffs - but he was firmly planted on the bench.

Starting Chauncey in this series screwed up the rotations the players were accustomed to during the regular season. Billips missed 60 games recovering from achilles surgery. Grant's 40 years old and kept fouling because he can't keep up any more.

Blake Griffin was hobbled with a high ankle sprain but I don't think it would have made a difference if he were at full strength.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu