New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Phil picks Bill. Lebron wants to be greatest of all time...

http://nba.si.com/2013/05/23/phil-j...ls-celtics-lakers-first-pick-start-franchise/

Posted May 23, 2013
Phil Jackson would take Bill Russell, not Michael Jordan, as first player to start team
Ben Golliver, Bill Russell, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan, Phil Jackson
By Ben Golliver
Phil Jackson would take Bill Russell (left) over Michael Jordan if given the choice. (Jeff Haynes AFP/Getty)

Phil Jackson would take Bill Russell (left) over Michael Jordan if given the choice. (Jeff Haynes AFP/Getty)

If given the choice of any player in NBA history to start a franchise, legendary coach Phil Jackson says Celtics center Bill Russell would win out over his former player Michael Jordan.

“In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player,” Jackson said in an interview with Time. “That’s really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships.”

In addition to his 11 titles with the Celtics in the 1950s and 1960s, Russell was a five-time MVP and 12-time All-Star. Jordan won six championships playing for the Bulls in the 1990s under Jackson, earning five MVP awards and 14 All-Star Game selections.

Jackson dodged when asked to select between Jordan and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, whom he coached to five titles between 2000 and 2010.

“I would flip a coin,” he said. “Whichever one came up heads or tails, I’d take that person. They were that good.”

Jackson is promoting his new book, Eleven Rings, in which he compares Jordan and Bryant extensively. The Zen Master told Time that he believes the 34-year-old Bryant’s quest for a sixth ring, to match Jordan, will prove difficult after a season-ending Achilles injury.

“He’s going to be hard-pressed,” Jackson said. “He’s at an age where I think Michael Jordan won a couple more, but he hadn’t suffered the type of injury that Kobe went through at the end of the year this year. Devastating. Achilles tendon is a very difficult injury to survive and come back at the same level. Not too many people do it. If anybody can, Kobe will.”

In the book, which was released this week, Jackson paints Jordan as a better leader, shooter and defender than Bryant, prompting the Lakers guard to say that the comparisons are “apples to oranges”.

Jordan comparisons have been a particularly hot topic recently as the Hall of Fame guard turned 50 in February. Before All-Star Weekend, Jordan offered his thoughts on Bryant and Heat forward LeBron James, expressing a preference for Bryant because of his advantage in championships.

“If you had to pick between the two,” Jordan said, “that would be a tough choice, but five beats one every time I look at it. And not that he [LeBron James] won’t get five, he may get more than that, but five is bigger than one.”

James at first brushed off that talk — tweeting “I’m not MJ, I’m LJ” — but later made it clear that he very much seeks the Greatest Of All Time title.

“I want to be the greatest of all time,” James declared in February. He added: “As my talent continued to grow, as I continued to know about the game, appreciate the game, continued to get better, I felt like I had the drive, first of all, the passion, the commitment to the game to place myself as the greatest of all time, the best of all time, however you want to categorize it. I don’t do it to say I’m better than this guy or that guy. I do it for my own inspiration. I inspire myself. When I go out on the floor, I want to be the best of all time. That’s how I help myself each and every night.”

In April, longtime NBA trainer Tim Grover, who has worked for years with Jordan and Bryant, told SI.com that comparing Jordan to anyone besides Russell would be a mistake.

“Michael Jordan was six-for-six in Finals, never lost a Finals, never needed a Game 7 to do that,” Grover said. “Just by saying that alone, that puts him in a category I don’t think anybody else is in, except maybe a Bill Russell. Other than that, I don’t know if you can really put [Jordan] in the same category [with anybody].

“I think what [James] should do, instead of worrying about where Mike was at, he should be trying to get to the accolades, get to the Finals, as many times as Kobe had. … I think the comparison [for James] should be more toward a current player he’s playing against now because of what Michael already did, and LeBron, in the early part of his career, faltered two times in the Finals. I think that [the Jordan/James] comparison can’t be made, just from that alone.”

Last summer, Bryant made headlines when he suggested that his 2012 USA Basketball team could defeat Jordan’s 1992 Dream Team.

“It’d be a tough one, but I think we’d pull it out,” he said.

Jordan responded by telling The Associated Press that he “absolutely laughed” at Bryant’s statement and that there was “no comparison” between the two teams.

Bryant, of course, was asked for a response to that response.

“So what? He knows I’m a bad mother [expletive],” Bryant told reporters after an exhibition game in Las Vegas. “I’m not really tripping.”

Jackson has been in the news a lot recently, launching a Twitter account in March to promote his book, uncorking a great one-liner about Jordan’s famous push-off on Jazz guard Bryon Russell during the 1998 Finals and serving as a consultant to the Pistons during their ongoing coaching search.

Jackson, 67, was linked to a return to the Lakers’ bench after coach Mike Brown was fired following a 1-4 start in November. Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak reportedly met with Jackson before hiring Mike D’Antoni.

“I was kind of offered that by the Lakers this year, but it didn’t work out, and that’s fine,” Jackson told Time. “That was the only situation in which I could ever think of coaching again.”

LBJ is superhuman. He literally took over the game for the Heat and made impossible shots however those pesky Pacers found a way to eke out the win 97-93. It should be 2-0 Pacers

Great game and great series. Maybe our Great White Hope is in the Eastern Conference rather than the Western

Please let it be so!

missed the game but watched the recap. and roy hibbert is the pacers' weapon. basketball has been a big man's game in the early years and it's nice to see the dominant big man dominate a game once again. hoping for the great white hope. the ball is round and anything is possible. pacers has got to believe that.

Wade continues to have his way with his flying elbows if not his flying kicks or trying to dislocate peoples elbow.

And poor Lance Stephenson, last year he was nailed in the throat by Heat bench warmer Dexter Pittman. This year a flying elbow tackle by Wade in the head. If only Wade was not a Heat, I'd have little trouble seeing James get his rings.

Wade continues to have his way with his flying elbows if not his flying kicks or trying to dislocate peoples elbow.

And poor Lance Stephenson, last year he was nailed in the throat by Heat bench warmer Dexter Pittman. This year a flying elbow tackle by Wade in the head. If only Wade was not a Heat, I'd have little trouble seeing James get his rings.

The commissioner's office is looking into that incident

I couldn't believe how yet again the Grizz blew another big lead only to lose in OT. Down 3-0. It's over

tough loss by the grizz. they had a chance to win at regulation.

The commissioner's office is looking into that incident

Wade seems to forget he is a small man in a big man game... Someone will get him and hard ... A big bench warmer is all a team bent on revenge needs... The league must suspend him not fine him

Wade seems to forget he is a small man in a big man game... Someone will get him and hard ... A big bench warmer is all a team bent on revenge needs... The league must suspend him not fine him

Absolutely. I don't recall if he was penalized or suspended for kicking Ramon Sessions in the groin but this flying elbow hit to the head of Stephenson looks just as bad or worse as it could cause head injury. And that was no foul called when you see whistles blowing all over just because of a moving pick and some acting job. I really feel bad for Stephenson. He didn't do anything hard on Wade. Wade just committed a turnover and vented his frustration on him. I googled 'Wade Dirty Plays' and found a few guys who made a collection of his dirty clips. When I saw that Wade pull down of Rondo a few years ago that dislocated and popped his elbow. I had to stop the clip. Too much.

Wade assessed with Flagrant 1. No suspension.

http://nba.si.com/2013/05/26/dwyane...enson-miami-heat-indiana-pacers/?sct=uk_t2_a3

"The NBA has ruled that an elbow delivered by Heat guard Dwyane Wade to the head of Pacers guard Lance Stephenson during Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals was a flagrant play but that it was not worthy of a suspension. Wade will be eligible to play in Game 3 in Indianapolis on Sunday.

Holding an 89-88 lead with a little more than four minutes remaining in the regulation, the Pacers pushed the ball upcourt following a Heat turnover. Wade, who was running back in transition, jumped when he hit the midcourt line, contacting the left side of Stephenson’s head with his left elbow while in midair. The blow sent Stephenson to the ground, but no foul was called and Indiana’s possession continued.

The play was retroactively upgraded to a flagrant foul 1 by the league office, a designation applied to fouls that are “unnecessary.” Indiana went on to win 97-93 on Friday to even the series at one game apiece.

The Sun-Sentinel reported the non-reaction from the Heat following Monday’s shootaround.

Wade declined comment after participating in Sunday morning’s shootaround on the practice court at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, but coach Erik Spoelstra said he did not believe the play merited a suspension, which could have been the case with a retroactive Flagrant 2 ruling.

Back in December, Wade was suspended one game by the NBA for delivering a low blow to Bobcats guard Ramon Sessions. At the time, Wade, who has also been in high-profile incidents with Kobe Bryant and Rajon Rondo, defended himself from accusations that he is a dirty player.

“I’m far from being a dirty player and my intent was never to kick Ramon Sessions,” Wade wrote. “I just reacted to the contact that I got from him. More than anything, I think of my boys watching me before retaliating toward any player. I’m moving forward and ready to get back on the court in Milwaukee.”

Knicks guard J.R. Smith was ejected and later suspended for one game against the Celtics after elbowing Jason Terry in the head during the first-round of the Eastern Conference playoffs."

What's this? A prima donna treatment? Where's the parity? JR Smith was suspended for hitting Terry in the head. Sheez.

I thought that Wade's elbow to Stephonson's head was a cheap shot for sure but Wade has a history of such actions - remember that he broke Kobe's nose in the All Star game season before last. Of course a few wily, veteran guards have been accused of playing dirty over the years. If they are on your team they are just that - a savvy, smart player who knows what they can get away with. Wade's bad knee isn't helping his game either.

The Heat looked impressive last night, putting on an awesome offensive display. LeBron was impressive in the post. Strange that the Pacers performed so well in Miami but played poorly at home.

Spurs up 3-0 on the Grizzlies. Pop's masterful coaching is on display.

The Clippers are looking for a new head coach. Only speculation so far as to whom they might select. I'm hoping for Jeff Van Gundy if he'll give up his cushy broadcasting job.

Spurs up 3-0 on the Grizzlies. Pop's masterful coaching is on display.

To me, Pop is the reason why I would bank on the Spurs to win playoff games and championships. He's been there.

Sorry Phil.......

Report: Boston Celtics Will 'Likely' Buy Out Paul Pierce

By Mark Evans | Yahoo!

COMMENTARY | Paul Pierce has spent his entire 14 year career with the Boston Celtics, and brought a championship to town in the process. At 35 years old, it's only natural to speculate on how much longer Pierce will be playing in the NBA, and how much longer he will be doing so in Boston.
The team captain is set to make $15 million next season, a heavy amount for a team who may be in the lottery instead of the playoffs. There is a $5 million buy out option in his contract, and many are expecting Danny Ainge to pull the trigger. If this is the case, it is expected that teammate Kevin Garnett would also leave town, either in a trade, release, or retirement. At this point, the team would most likely be in full blown rebuilding mode.
Much of this has been speculation up to this point, but it now appears that there may be something material to look into. A report says that a buy out is 'likely' for Paul Pierce, and that he would look for work with a competitor following the buy out.
A rebuilding process looks like the best option for the Boston Celtics, who seem to be at the end of an era. With limited resources, it's tough to realistically imagine this group being able to improve to a point where they could compete for another title. Rajon Rondo's return from an ACL injury would certainly help, but their ceiling at this point seems to be fairly low. They can no longer depend on Pierce and Garnett on a nightly basis, and they are clearly a second tier Eastern Conference team at best.
If Pierce is indeed bought out, it will be interesting to see where he lands. He can still bring a lot to a team in the right role, where he can provide a scoring punch without being the primary option. Of course, if he does decide to keep playing, expect him to go to a competitor. The Memphis Grizzlies could certainly use his instant offense, and the Golden State Warriors may see him as a solid one year option as a scorer and mentor for the younger Harrison Barnes.
Celtics fans would be sad to see Pierce leave, although a rebuilding phase seems necessary. It's always weird to see a player who has been with one team for so long leave for somewhere else, and this might just happen this summer.

Sorry Phil.......

Report: Boston Celtics Will 'Likely' Buy Out Paul Pierce

By Mark Evans | Yahoo!

COMMENTARY | Paul Pierce has spent his entire 14 year career with the Boston Celtics, and brought a championship to town in the process. At 35 years old, it's only natural to speculate on how much longer Pierce will be playing in the NBA, and how much longer he will be doing so in Boston.
The team captain is set to make $15 million next season, a heavy amount for a team who may be in the lottery instead of the playoffs. There is a $5 million buy out option in his contract, and many are expecting Danny Ainge to pull the trigger. If this is the case, it is expected that teammate Kevin Garnett would also leave town, either in a trade, release, or retirement. At this point, the team would most likely be in full blown rebuilding mode.
Much of this has been speculation up to this point, but it now appears that there may be something material to look into. A report says that a buy out is 'likely' for Paul Pierce, and that he would look for work with a competitor following the buy out.
A rebuilding process looks like the best option for the Boston Celtics, who seem to be at the end of an era. With limited resources, it's tough to realistically imagine this group being able to improve to a point where they could compete for another title. Rajon Rondo's return from an ACL injury would certainly help, but their ceiling at this point seems to be fairly low. They can no longer depend on Pierce and Garnett on a nightly basis, and they are clearly a second tier Eastern Conference team at best.
If Pierce is indeed bought out, it will be interesting to see where he lands. He can still bring a lot to a team in the right role, where he can provide a scoring punch without being the primary option. Of course, if he does decide to keep playing, expect him to go to a competitor. The Memphis Grizzlies could certainly use his instant offense, and the Golden State Warriors may see him as a solid one year option as a scorer and mentor for the younger Harrison Barnes.
Celtics fans would be sad to see Pierce leave, although a rebuilding phase seems necessary. It's always weird to see a player who has been with one team for so long leave for somewhere else, and this might just happen this summer.

yeah steve, emotionally it would be sad for celtics fans to see paul in another uniform after playing his entire career with boston. but, practically, i think ainge would be doing the right move to buy him out and put the rest of the money on some good free agent. it's like seeing hakeen olajuwon in a toronto raptor uniform before he retired, if pierce dons another jersey. and yes, boston would be rebuilding for a few years more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu