New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

We could have been watching a replay of the last 5 seconds of regulation tonight instead of Game 7. And more painful is the recall of the championship trophy from the Spurs. So, in sum, the resulting OT loss was a blessing in disguise for the Spurs. :D

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/19/tim-duncan-illegally-substituted-game-6/?sct=uk_t2_a5

Posted June 19, 2013
NBA: Tim Duncan illegally entered Game 6 for crucial possession
NBA
By Tim Polzer

Tim Duncan’s role in the Spurs’ final play of the fourth quarter of the Spurs’ Game 6 loss to the Heat could have set off a firestorm of controversy if the Spurs won in regulation. The NBA has confirmed that Duncan, in fact, was illegally on the court.

As first reported by Kelly Dwyer of Yahoo! Sports, Duncan, illegally entered the game while officials reviewed Ray Allen’s game-tying three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining and was on the court when Tony Parker missed an off-balance, fadeaway jumper at the end of regulation.

From Yahoo! Sports:

Teams are not allowed to substitute players during referee reviews, because reviews aren’t technically a dead ball situation.

Think about that. Tim Duncan could have capped a legendary career with a game-winning shot to win the 2013 NBA Finals, and it wouldn’t have even been legal. And there wouldn’t have been anything the referees – considering the NBA’s current in-game rules regarding mulligans – could have done about it.

SI VIDEO: Heat, Spurs players react to wild Game 6 finish

If Parker made the shot, and the Spurs won Game 6, Duncan’s illegal substitution likely would have led the Heat to file a protest, and the results could have been historic, as CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger imagines:

If the Heat had won the protest, the Heat and Spurs — and all the rest of us — would’ve had to reconvene in Miami to pick up Game 6 from the point where the rule was misapplied with 5.2 seconds left and the score tied at 95.

The nightmare scenario, of course, would’ve been Duncan himself winning the game with a basket or putback, or at the foul line. But even if it wasn’t Duncan who’d scored, any San Antonio basket in that situation would’ve resulted in a Miami protest and, quite possibly, a do-over.

Wow.

Just in case you’re wondering, there are no provisions in the rulebook for Miami to complain about the error on the spot and for the officials to huddle and wave off a basket if San Antonio had scored. The issue would’ve needed to be addressed through the protest procedure.

If the Heat had lost in overtime, they still could’ve filed a protest but would’ve had little, if any, chance of winning it. It has to be demonstrated that the misapplication of the rule directly influenced the outcome of the game. The only way for that to have happened in this case was San Antonio scoring on the final possession of regulation and winning the game — and its fifth championship — only to have to return at some point later and try to do it again.

If you can’t believe you’re reading this, join the club. I can’t believe I’m writing it, either.

Last edited:
David Stern: NBA ready to veto any Doc Rivers trade between Celtics and Clippers

BY BEN GOLLIVER SI.com

The on-again, off-again rumors of a possible trade or trades between the Celtics and Clippers that would include Boston coach Doc Rivers along with Kevin Garnett, DeAndre Jordan and draft picks are totally off, at least according to NBA commissioner David Stern.

Recent reports indicated that the two teams might try to circumvent a rule banning the trade of a coach’s contract by making two separate deals: one involving Garnett for Jordan and the other involving picks or other compensation in an indirect exchange for Rivers, who would need to be let out of his current deal, which still has three years and $21 million remaining on it.

CBSSports.com notes that Stern told ESPN Radio in New York that the league would not approve that arrangement because Rivers’ inclusion violates the collective bargaining agreement and that the multiple trade scenario is an obvious circumvention of league rules.

“The teams are aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn’t authorize trades involving coaches’ contracts.”
“If you think those, at this point — having been all over the media for the last week — are separate transactions … I have a bridge that I would very much enjoy selling to you,” Stern said.
In a separate ESPN radio interview, Stern repeated that the NBA was aware of the possible end-around plans and ready to act if a final proposal involving multiple trades came to fruition.

“I would say that if we know that what the parties really want to do is one [trade and] they are going to break into two [trades] for purposes of trying to avoid the restrictions that the collective bargaining agreement places on it, we know how to deal with that as well,” he said.

Yahoo! Sports reported early Thursday morning that the two teams were still engaged in conversations, with Clippers All-Star guard Chris Paul urging owner Donald Sterling to land Rivers and Garnett.

Sterling interviewed Cavaliers coach Byron Scott and Pacers assistant Brian Shaw this week, according to the Los Angeles Times, as the Clippers look to fill the coaching vacancy created when they parted ways with former coach Vinny Del Negro back in May.

David Stern: NBA ready to veto any Doc Rivers trade between Celtics and Clippers

BY BEN GOLLIVER SI.com

The on-again, off-again rumors of a possible trade or trades between the Celtics and Clippers that would include Boston coach Doc Rivers along with Kevin Garnett, DeAndre Jordan and draft picks are totally off, at least according to NBA commissioner David Stern.

Recent reports indicated that the two teams might try to circumvent a rule banning the trade of a coach’s contract by making two separate deals: one involving Garnett for Jordan and the other involving picks or other compensation in an indirect exchange for Rivers, who would need to be let out of his current deal, which still has three years and $21 million remaining on it.

CBSSports.com notes that Stern told ESPN Radio in New York that the league would not approve that arrangement because Rivers’ inclusion violates the collective bargaining agreement and that the multiple trade scenario is an obvious circumvention of league rules.

“The teams are aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn’t authorize trades involving coaches’ contracts.”
“If you think those, at this point — having been all over the media for the last week — are separate transactions … I have a bridge that I would very much enjoy selling to you,” Stern said.
In a separate ESPN radio interview, Stern repeated that the NBA was aware of the possible end-around plans and ready to act if a final proposal involving multiple trades came to fruition.

“I would say that if we know that what the parties really want to do is one [trade and] they are going to break into two [trades] for purposes of trying to avoid the restrictions that the collective bargaining agreement places on it, we know how to deal with that as well,” he said.

Yahoo! Sports reported early Thursday morning that the two teams were still engaged in conversations, with Clippers All-Star guard Chris Paul urging owner Donald Sterling to land Rivers and Garnett.

Sterling interviewed Cavaliers coach Byron Scott and Pacers assistant Brian Shaw this week, according to the Los Angeles Times, as the Clippers look to fill the coaching vacancy created when they parted ways with former coach Vinny Del Negro back in May.

now i don't know if that's good news or bad news to both camps.

ainge might as well get chris paul for rondo. problem is how to get blake, crawford and bledsoe in the celtics uniform. :)

Anybody picking the Spurs to win tonight? Wish I could.

Almost cried as it fell apart for them the other night, thought of a Heat championship turns my stomach for several reasons. It wasn't just one thing that cost them the game, but Ginobli came close with how many times he threw the ball away.

thought of a Heat championship turns my stomach for several reasons.

my sentiments exactly, bob. and for the longest time. i never liked wade, even in the time of shaq. and he just grew and grew into such a hated player in my eyes. the rondo dislocated elbow was the final straw, and amazing how he could still outdo that in the next few years. results like game 6 had actually happened in our local pro league eyes ago, a team was up 4 with 16 seconds and the confetti's were falling. miraculously they lost the game. i know nobody is picking the spurs to win tonight and many would bet on them being blown out even. well, i'll be in a long meeting at game time so it will spare me all the anxiety to watch the heat crowd shout. there's 48 minutes for duncan, parker and manu to try to redeem themselves.

Anybody picking the Spurs to win tonight? Wish I could.

Almost cried as it fell apart for them the other night, thought of a Heat championship turns my stomach for several reasons. It wasn't just one thing that cost them the game, but Ginobli came close with how many times he threw the ball away.

A wise man will bet the Heat but what's the over-under?

Me,....never been a wise man when it comes to the Heat. I'm betting Spurs because win or lose they have been a dream team The trophy was 30 seconds from their reach. For the Spurs to get to a game 7 let alone almost win it is an amazing feat. I could never see myself voting for the Heat. I'd rather lose the money and wear my badge of fame

46-44 at half, it's a scrum. Guys look tired.

A wise man will bet the Heat but what's the over-under?

Me,....never been a wise man when it comes to the Heat. I'm betting Spurs because win or lose they have been a dream team The trophy was 30 seconds from their reach. For the Spurs to get to a game 7 let alone almost win it is an amazing feat. I could never see myself voting for the Heat. I'd rather lose the money and wear my badge of fame

+1 Steve. Can't stand anything associated with the Heat at all. I missed the game completely and refuse to watch anything that bears any images of the Heat. I even cancelled my NBA premium on cable to evade any replays. Such is my allergy to them. This month, the Spurs to me felt like they were the Boston Celtics of the last few years. Each of their losses in the Finals made me feel really bad, as bad as when the C's lost games before. Both are a mix of old and young players and both have great coaches. I feel for Tim mostly. What a model of a player he is. To perform this way at his age, and still humble either in victory of defeat, he reminds me of one Bill Russell, little ego with a big heart for team play.

We have to move on, and hope that the two LA teams, the Pacers, Knicks, Bulls, OKC, etc get better. I hope Howard is viewing this and wondering why he couldn't have leveled up his play these past few years. He could have been a real great one. Let's see what happens this November.

Time to trade Rondo and some 2nd round picks for Chris Paul. :) Chris had reportedly wanted to be coached by Doc.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Yahoo! Expert
Sources: Doc Rivers won't join Clippers as coach
46 minutes ago

After talks failed again on Friday, the Boston Celtics' Doc Rivers will no longer pursue the Los Angeles Clippers' coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"The deal is completely dead," a source directly involved in the talks said Friday.Doc Rivers won't be heading west. (USA Today Sports)

Rivers will make a choice between returning to the Celtics for his 10th season as coach or leaving for television, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The ramifications for the Clippers could be significant, because free agent All-Star guard Chris Paul had badly wanted Rivers as his coach and had pushed management to complete a deal with Boston, sources said.

The Clippers raised the idea of a future second-round draft pick with Boston on Friday, sources said, but Celtics general manager Danny Ainge had been clear throughout the discussions that it would take a first-round pick to free Rivers of the three years left on his Celtics deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-again-discloses-time-top-five-205011601.html

Kobe Bryant walks again! (And discloses his all-time top five NBA players) (Video)
By Kelly Dwyer | Ball Don't Lie – Thu, Jun 20, 2013 4:50 PM EDT

If Kobe is walking on the 1st of June, this means there will be a slim chance that Our Favorite Kobester can return in time for the opening of the 2013-14 season around the same day in November. Kobe tore his Achilles in the second week of April, but he vowed right away that he would do whatever it took to cut the 6-8 month rehab designation down quite a bit, if possible. Mainly because he’s Kobe Bryant, and this is what he does.

In lighter news, Bryant barely hesitated on Thursday in giving his list of the five greatest players in NBA history, and it’s hard to argue with Kobe’s take.

From ESPN 710 in Los Angeles, via For the Win:

“It’s not very difficult for me. I’d go Magic, Jordan, Bird, Russell and Jabbar.

“I will say as the years go on people really forget how great Larry Bird was,” Bryant said. “He was ridiculous. And I grew up in LA — just like everyone else here — hating his guts. Dude — the guy was just money.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-again-discloses-time-top-five-205011601.html

Kobe Bryant walks again! (And discloses his all-time top five NBA players) (Video)
By Kelly Dwyer | Ball Don't Lie – Thu, Jun 20, 2013 4:50 PM EDT

If Kobe is walking on the 1st of June, this means there will be a slim chance that Our Favorite Kobester can return in time for the opening of the 2013-14 season around the same day in November. Kobe tore his Achilles in the second week of April, but he vowed right away that he would do whatever it took to cut the 6-8 month rehab designation down quite a bit, if possible. Mainly because he’s Kobe Bryant, and this is what he does.

In lighter news, Bryant barely hesitated on Thursday in giving his list of the five greatest players in NBA history, and it’s hard to argue with Kobe’s take.

From ESPN 710 in Los Angeles, via For the Win:

“It’s not very difficult for me. I’d go Magic, Jordan, Bird, Russell and Jabbar.

“I will say as the years go on people really forget how great Larry Bird was,” Bryant said. “He was ridiculous. And I grew up in LA — just like everyone else here — hating his guts. Dude — the guy was just money.”

Chamberlain any day of the week over Bird. Quite possibly the best athlete to ever play the game. I'm not even sure I'd put Magic in the top five either. I'd put West or Havlicek there. When NBA players are interviewed, to a man, they say the player they want taking the last shot with the game on the line is Jerry West. Even the top ten is crowded when you figure 3 centers, 3 guards and 3 forwards :)

so the word now is that the Clipps will be offering the position to Byron Scott in part because he coached Paul previously in New Orleans

that makes some sense. but i wonder why brian shaw is having such a hard time landing a head coaching job despite being an assistant of phil jackson for a few seasons.

and i think i read somewhere the vinnie del negro is being interviewed by a team which escapes my memory now. the guy seems to have some 'clout' like d'antoni. and it won't be too much of a surprise to me now if some team actually hires del negro for 3-4 years.

Chamberlain any day of the week over Bird. Quite possibly the best athlete to ever play the game. I'm not even sure I'd put Magic in the top five either. I'd put West or Havlicek there. When NBA players are interviewed, to a man, they say the player they want taking the last shot with the game on the line is Jerry West. Even the top ten is crowded when you figure 3 centers, 3 guards and 3 forwards :)

i guess it helps if he, or me, grew up watching wilt in his prime. i saw a bit of bill russell and sam jones in their twilight and i actually have more impression of sam jones than russell bec sam kept hitting most shots that he threw up. we tend to have more intense memories of players we see live competing in our times than on old tapes, like george mikan, however great he was, it would be hard for people after his time to appreciate his game. my son always ignores me when i talk about great players of my time, like when i show him old games on dvd he seems to act like he's watching a ballet of which he has no interest in. but he stays upright when players like blake, de andre jordan slams the ball but yams when i show him the cradle dunk of dr j over cooper.

for me, my money man when the game is on the line would be lew alcindor/.kareem abdul jabbar because i grew up watching him nail those when i didn't want him to nail those money shots. true jerry west was mr. clutch but i didn't see a lot of his games when i took interest in the sport. it's really hard to pick a top 5 all time and i agree, wilt should be in that list for any nba follower, judging from what i hear about him in his prime. and that he still is the guy who scored 100 points in an nba game, the only one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu