New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

that makes some sense. but i wonder why brian shaw is having such a hard time landing a head coaching job despite being an assistant of phil jackson for a few seasons.

and i think i read somewhere the vinnie del negro is being interviewed by a team which escapes my memory now. the guy seems to have some 'clout' like d'antoni. and it won't be too much of a surprise to me now if some team actually hires del negro for 3-4 years.

VDN is being considered at Denver

that makes some sense. but i wonder why brian shaw is having such a hard time landing a head coaching job despite being an assistant of phil jackson for a few seasons.

and i think i read somewhere the vinnie del negro is being interviewed by a team which escapes my memory now. the guy seems to have some 'clout' like d'antoni. and it won't be too much of a surprise to me now if some team actually hires del negro for 3-4 years.

In the Clippers - Celtics drama, the guy who lost out is Brian Shaw. He deserves a shot at a head coaching position and I would prefer him over Scott for the Clippers. I would also prefer Hollins over Scott.

VDN? Surprised he is getting any consideration from other NBA teams.

Boston has done a better job spinning the Rivers/Garnett situation than the Clippers. Of course, the Celtics have more media cred than the Clippers, too.

Clippers will likely try again Monday for Rivers, conceding the first round draft pick. If that doesn't get it done then its on to another coach. Scott, Shaw and Hollins are all in the mix and the Clippers have discussed compenstation with both Scott and Shaw.

In the Clippers - Celtics drama, the guy who lost out is Brian Shaw. He deserves a shot at a head coaching position and I would prefer him over Scott for the Clippers. I would also prefer Hollins over Scott.

VDN? Surprised he is getting any consideration from other NBA teams.

Boston has done a better job spinning the Rivers/Garnett situation than the Clippers. Of course, the Celtics have more media cred than the Clippers, too.

Clippers will likely try again Monday for Rivers, conceding the first round draft pick. If that doesn't get it done then its on to another coach. Scott, Shaw and Hollins are all in the mix and the Clippers have discussed compenstation with both Scott and Shaw.
nice to say all of this but what about David Stern's comments that you cannot trade a coach for players or draft considerations as it is against the CBA and he will veto the trade if it is agreed upon by both teams. For them to keep negotiating tells me there must be ways around Stern's admonition

I am no expert on the NBA CBA but Rivers going to the Clippers wouldn't be a trade. They would be compensating Boston for releasing Rivers from his contract. That's been done before - Pat Riley from the Knicks to the Heat for a draft pick and cash and Stan Van Gundy from the Heat to Orlando with similar type payments Those deals were long before the current CBA though.

While I would like to see Rivers with the Clippers, I didn't object to Stern squashing the deal as originally constituted - players and coach intertwined in a deal.

Its been dragging on for so long now I'd like to see it finished one way or the other.

I was on the road for the past few days updating HoopsHype every couple of hours. :)

Last edited:

man, Chamberlain can jump.. he blocks a shot, the ball goes to another guy and blocks it again

I , like many others tend to forget how supremely good Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain was. Let's take a pause and ask an honest question: in the light of everything we know about Basketball , isn't he the GOAT? Not MJ?

This new, posted 11 minutes ago. The deal was dead, was dead, and now is alive again. Like those comic movies. :D

Adrian Wojnarowski
Adrian Wojnarowski

Follow

Yahoo! Expert
Clippers reach deal with Celtics to hire Doc Rivers as coach
11 minutes ago

Email
Share195

The Los Angeles Clippers have reached an agreement in principle to send an unprotected 2015 first-round draft pick to the Boston Celtics for the rights to hire coach Doc Rivers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Rivers has agreed to a three-year, $21 million deal with the Clippers, league sources said.

Doc Rivers is nearing a deal to become the Clippers' new coach. (USA Today Sports)Talks started again on Sunday when the Clippers offered the Celtics the first-round pick to free Rivers from his contract with Boston, sources said.

The NBA still needs to grant approval to the deal, but the teams have been led to believe that won't be a problem, sources said.

The Clippers and Rivers believe Rivers' arrival will solidify star free agent Chris Paul's commitment to sign a five-year contract extension in July, sources said.

Rivers told the Clippers that he was no longer interested in the position on Friday, but pressure from Paul stayed strong on Clippers management over the weekend and Los Angeles reconsidered its unwillingness to give Boston a first-round pick, sources said.

Clearly, Rivers' telling the Clippers he no longer had interest in the job – and the Celtics setting a Friday deadline for a deal – were negotiating postures to leverage the Clippers back with a better offer.

Rivers had gone into the weekend planning to decide his future with the Celtics, and sources said he had been leaning strongly toward returning next season to fulfill the three years and $21 million left on his contract. With the Celtics moving into a rebuilding phase, several sources told Yahoo! Sports that Boston management preferred draft-pick compensation over paying for an elite coach.

nice to say all of this but what about David Stern's comments that you cannot trade a coach for players or draft considerations as it is against the CBA and he will veto the trade if it is agreed upon by both teams. For them to keep negotiating tells me there must be ways around Stern's admonition

Steve,

As WLVCA pointed out below there was a precedent for coach-draft pick compensation. I believe what Stern objects to is the contingent trade of Garnett and DeAndre hinged on Doc's going to the Clippers. That is what violates the CBA.

So, if Doc goes to the Clips for a 1st round pick. As AW of Yahoo reported as a done deal, the C's and Clips have to paint a scenario wherein a subsequent deal of Garnett for Jordan was NOT hinged nor related to the Doc deal. Now, that will be for the lawyers. :D And by way, Stern is a very good lawyer himself. :D

Last edited:

Swallowing a bitter pill to take 2 second round picks but indeed, Pierce could be bought out for $5m and Boston still gets no players while shelling out $5m. That was how Ainge 'managed' the Pierce contract so now he has to deal with it. Pay Pierce $15m to play for the C's for next season (which really is too much all things considered) or pay him $5m to set him loose. And I feel for Pierce bec he's always been a Celtic, 14 years of 'loyalty'.

VDN is being considered at Denver

VDN after George Karl??? I read Denver reached out for Doc too and failed, but Shaw, Scott and Hollins are out there still...

Welcome to LA, Doc! No pressure, just win a title in the next 3 years. ;)

Hope Stern approves. I think he will.

Hope that the Clippers keep D'Andre Jordan rather than trade for KG. Maybe Doc can get more out of Jordan than VDN did.

man, Chamberlain can jump.. he blocks a shot, the ball goes to another guy and blocks it again

"Wilt would take Shaquille O'Neal and move him around like a rag doll." That's a good one. :D This clip really shows how incredible Wilt's physical strength and talent was. If the category of greatness is not ruled by championship rings, then Wilt gets my vote as the most awesome basketball player who ever lived.

VDN after George Karl??? I read Denver reached out for Doc too and failed, but Shaw, Scott and Hollins are out there still...

Hope Brian Shaw gets the Denver job or at least one of the remaining head coaching slots. He's earned a shot. Maybe the Celtics will take a look at him. He played there but had a rocky time, leaving the Celtics for an team in Italy at one point.

Welcome to LA, Doc! No pressure, just win a title in the next 3 years. ;)

Hope Stern approves. I think he will.

Hope that the Clippers keep D'Andre Jordan rather than trade for KG. Maybe Doc can get more out of Jordan than VDN did.

KG has to wait. The Doc deal now APPEARS isolated and not contingent. KG has got to talk to Ainge to make some 3 team trade that will ultimately land him in LAC if that is what makes him and Doc happy, to be together. If not, KG can retire, and so can Pierce. And Boston will be $25m off the cap books.

Doc will have a very good team with Chris Paul (assuming he lives to his word in wanting Doc and re-sign with the Clips) and Bledsoe as back up guard. Chauncey may still play (he still did double figures against Memphis in the 1st round), and Blake might finally be coached well to be the promising player that he should be. Doc for Vinnie. No contest. :) Congrats to the Clips on this.

Little Buss must be trembling in his boots as he realizes that his team will soon be relinquishing bragging rights to Los Angeles

steve, and the sad part is that he can't be fired. :D

teams have got to do something this summer. pacers a game away and spurs 28 seconds away. there's got to be some more push to get better. it's close to rock the tower down.

steve, and the sad part is that he can't be fired. :D

teams have got to do something this summer. pacers a game away and spurs 28 seconds away. there's got to be some more push to get better. it's close to rock the tower down.

Very true Phil

For my eyes, this past season was the most entertaining ever with many of the 2nd and 3rd tier teams showing some greatness with some young and fast players

And Steve, our 2 teams, C's and Lakers, walk the parallel ways again, each has NO COACH. :D

Definitely a new era for the Clippers! Took a while but Sterling has really shown he wants to win. Will be fun to watch and see what happens.

Looks like the Clippers did some pretty good negotiating, too. One draft pick and a 3 year deal for Doc. Perhaps Ainge overplayed his hand.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu