New Audigon Service Fee

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Audiogon has essentially adopted the E-Bay model. If it works for Steven (who I assume still owns the site) , then so be it. It's his business and he can maximize his return however he sees fit.

As one who has traded a fair amount of gear, I find Audiogon's fees simply too high to ignore, and their policies onerous.

I'm now trading exclusively on US Audio Mart.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
It is called a service fee and this is all that I could find. The particulars don't seem to be specified anywhere.

Many thanks. This sucks, the higher listing fees and higher commission should be supporting the marketplace.

A service fee is charged to buyers when purchasing an item from a seller; the amount is dependent on sales price. This is used to support the marketplace, develop new features, and provide support to our customers and community.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Many thanks. This sucks, the higher listing fees and higher commission should be supporting the marketplace.

A service fee is charged to buyers when purchasing an item from a seller; the amount is dependent on sales price. This is used to support the marketplace, develop new features, and provide support to our customers and community.
Isn't that nice! We'll surprise you with a fee that we assign blind.

digitaldevil

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2022
Scottsdale

My "service fee" was $5.99 for a $950 transaction.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I reached out to Audiogon to get some info on the Service Fee. I was told like everyone else what the reason for the fee was/is. I then asked how it was calculated and was told the fee ranges from $2.99 to $9.99. I followed up with asking for a breakdown of how it was calculated, by a percentage of the sale price or was it a tier. The reply was that they could not share that info with me. o_O.

Now If they want to charge a buyer/service fee, that is their right. What I don't agree with is not being told how it is calculated. All fees should be explained upfront IMO.

The good thing is no one is forced to use Audiogon or any other site. I guess if I find something I want from the site, I will let the seller know that I'm deducting the buyer fee from the asking price.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I reached out to Audiogon to get some info on the Service Fee. I was told like everyone else what the reason for the fee was/is. I then asked how it was calculated and was told the fee ranges from $2.99 to $9.99. I followed up with asking for a breakdown of how it was calculated, by a percentage of the sale price or was it a tier. The reply was that they could not share that info with me. o_O.
I’ve never seen a business so impressively kneecap itself with tone deaf policies. It’s remarkable.

Last edited:

BruceBW

Nov 9, 2021
systems.audiogon.com
Just made an offer that was accepted and they charged me $9.99 without stating that when I made the offer. It really is unbelievable they think it is Ok to hide the fee and expect you to pay it. I'm going to pick up my item and pay the seller cash. Screw their fee. After 20+ years and hundreds of transactions I'm done with Audiogon.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
This allows them to change the fee anytime without informing buyer or seller. Larry

Reactions: digitaldevil

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Audiogon allows international sellers to operate on its website US Audio Mart is just fixed to that country only.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Just made an offer that was accepted and they charged me $9.99 without stating that when I made the offer. It really is unbelievable they think it is Ok to hide the fee and expect you to pay it. I'm going to pick up my item and pay the seller cash. Screw their fee. After 20+ years and hundreds of transactions I'm done with Audiogon.
When your offer is accepted, you pay the seller through PayPal. Do you see a fee listed anywhere?

digitaldevil

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2022
Scottsdale
Thanks for this image. If I saw this, I probably would have contacted the seller and said, what the hell's going on?
Even if you pay the seller cash you still need to complete the transaction.
I asked the seller about it before I completed the transaction. He then sent me a screenshot of his transaction breakdown (analogous to mine shown in post # 34) and the service fee was not listed. In short, he had no idea what I was talking about. The service fee transaction appears to be solely between Audiogon and the buyer.

Reactions: Lowrider75

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I asked the seller about it before I completed the transaction. He then sent me a screenshot of his transaction breakdown (analogous to mine shown in post # 34) and the service fee was not listed. In short, he had no idea what I was talking about. The service fee transaction appears to be solely between Audiogon and the buyer.
Sucks. They're making money on the classifieds. Greedy buggers.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Sucks. They're making money on the classifieds. Greedy buggers.
Yes they make money on the classifieds like many others. The problem is this is in addition to the classified fee. The classified fee is paid by the seller. The service fee is paid by the buyer.

To me there is no reason why Audiogon wouldn't be upfront with this. i don't under their logic at all.

Reactions: Lowrider75

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
When I spoke with Audiogon about the service fee, I was told they couldn't give me the breakdown of the service fee. I told them any and all fees should be known by all parties and should be posted on their site.

Hey I guess the choice is for me as a buyer/seller to accept their practice or use another site.

Reactions: Lowrider75 and Gjo

BruceBW

Nov 9, 2021
systems.audiogon.com
Even if you pay the seller cash you still need to complete the transaction.
I am going to complete it by giving the seller the agreed upon amount in cash and taking possession of my item.

Hey I guess the choice is for me as a buyer/seller to accept their practice or use another site.
After 100's of sales over the past 20+ years I quit listing on Audiogon a while back when they quit giving you an extra 30 days if your item didn't sell. I don't mind paying 4% to list, but not over and over month after month. I started trading on US AudioMart and very happy with the results.

I continued to buy occasionally on Audiogon but now I am done with that too

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowrider75 and Gjo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing