New Audigon Service Fee

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Yes like you I have done quite a lot of sales via Audiogon. I too use US Audio Mart but must admit I have better success via Audiogon.

Reactions: Lowrider75

sktn77a

Dec 26, 2021
Audiogon no longer has a place in the audio discussion and buy/sell arena. Their feedback system is so heavily moderated that nobody gets negative feedback, their forum posts that don't paint them in a positive lights are deleted, and their fees are just plain silly when USaudiomart exists.

sktn77a

Dec 26, 2021
I just learned the hard way about a similar fee on EBay. I bought a very expensive and rare cartridge recently and was charged a $900 service fee. I asked the seller about it and he knew nothing. I do think Ebay works very well with good communication and prompts and updates.
If we are to believe this, we need more information. What was the cartridge, how much did you pay for it, where is the ad on Audiogon?

sktn77a

Dec 26, 2021
OK, that wasn't a fee, it was the normal sales tax that ebay must collect in accordance with the US IRS requirements.

sktn77a

Dec 26, 2021
Ebay does as do most other websites (depending if your state collects sales tax). Don't know about Audiogon, but I've been on Audiogon for 20 years and they just keep screwing the pooch with their fees.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Have used Audiogon for buying and selling since 2005. Back then the transactions were good and transparent. Have met many good people who have become friends over the years through dialog from their forums discussions.
Recently tried to make a purchase on Agon and it became very frustrating trying to reach the seller. No phone number exchange allowed or email address. Third party monitoring not allowing me to talk to seller, not a fan.
When I make a purchase over 10k want to talk to the seller. Asked for some back up documentation which he wasn't allowed to share. I can get better impression when talking to some one via phone that the an email. Deal went dead.
Having used Canuck Audiomart or US Audiomart since 2008.
They allow person to person emails, exchange phone # for dialog etc , no issues.
Last two items that I sold on Canuckmart sold in 2 days after listing, one was a US purchaser.
Wouldn't use Agon for buying or selling any longer with their new policies plus a fee to the purchaser , I'm ah gone.

jwhite613

Feb 3, 2012
New Mexico
after reading all this… thinking I’ll take less $$$ and sell my Prime TT on Craiglist

Reactions: rubinken

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Audiogon and US Audio Mart are both online marketplaces for buying and selling audio equipment, such as high-end audio gear, speakers, turntables, and more. Both platforms allow users to list items for sale, and browse listings from other users.
Yes they are and for me personally I have had the most success with Audiogon. My only issue is they should post all of their fees for people to see. I have no issue with them charging the fee. But one should know about the fees upfront.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
raising fees as they have lost the business to USAM. i bought some cables off the gon this past week and couldn't use PayPal F&F, despite both of us having tons of feedback. then I get charged a $9 buyer fee. sucks.

sktn77a

Dec 26, 2021
“Audiogon and US Audio Mart are both online marketplaces for buying and selling audio equipment, such as high-end audio gear, speakers, turntables, and more. Both platforms allow users to list items for sale, and browse listings from other users”

Uh, and???

BruceBW

Nov 9, 2021
systems.audiogon.com
Recently tried to make a purchase on Agon and it became very frustrating trying to reach the seller. No phone number exchange allowed or email address. Third party monitoring not allowing me to talk to seller, not a fan.
agreed, trying to complete a complicated transaction via Audiogon chat is extremely frustrating. It is Orwellian that they won't allow you to actually speak with someone about a high $$ deal. And what if it is local and you want to audtion the equipment?

They get their fee up front from the seller so you can't beat them out of that by going off line. All you can do is beat them out of the hidden buyer fee that they don't tell you about until after you make the deal.

again, US AudioMart is the place

edit.. I just checked their website for info on fees. They claim the buyer fee is in their terms, and it is if you go looking for it, but if you click on the fees link all you see are sellers fees..it is just about as hidden as you can make it fees.png

Attachments

• fees.png
    fees.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: rugyboogie and Gjo

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
.. I just checked their website for info on fees. They claim the buyer fee is in their terms, and it is if you go looking for it, but if you click on the fees link all you see are sellers fees..it is just about as hidden as you can make it
True. And no members were informed about this new buyers fee. It should have been posted as a "Sticky" in the classifieds section or emailed to active members. They know who we are. Even their lame website has the technology to do a group email.

Reactions: rugyboogie

Republicoftexas69

I think that there are plenty of other platforms out there, much more business friendly.

Agon has gone to pot.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I think that there are plenty of other platforms out there, much more business friendly.

Agon has gone to pot.
Yes, better platforms but Audiogon classifieds gets the most traffic. If you know of others beside USAM and High-end Audio Auctions I'd like to know.

Meanwhile, I listed an item last week and was shocked to see how much Audiogon costs. The "PAY NOW" fee is based on the asking price. When I accept a lower offer Audiogon keeps the extra money I paid to list it. ie; the asking price of item is $1000. I accept an offer of $800, Audiogon keeps the fee for $1000.
And then charges the buyer a percentage.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Idk if being a member or dealer makes a difference than the occasional seller, but I get charged 4% on top of the listing fee!!!! Add 4% PayPal and it adds upSo I try to sell a 3 year old product half price or $10k plus $400 +$400pp then add for shipping, safe packaging and its cheaper for the buyer to get a demo with a warranty from the dealer. I’m hopeful more hobbyists learn about usam.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Idk if being a member or dealer makes a difference than the occasional seller, but I get charged 4% on top of the listing fee!!!! Add 4% PayPal and it adds upSo I try to sell a 3 year old product half price or $10k plus $400 +$400pp then add for shipping, safe packaging and its cheaper for the buyer to get a demo with a warranty from the dealer. I’m hopeful more hobbyists learn about usam.
When I sell something the purchaser covers PayPal and shipping. This is both with Audiogon and USAM. I just put it in my ad that the purchaser covers the cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing