new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike - What do you love as a super sonic vinyl masterpiece?

well.......i just listened to a fantastic pressing. Super Analog Disc, Brahms Concerto No.2, Vienna Philharmonic, Bohm, Backhaus. i've had this one since the late 90's, listened to it multiple times, but never quite like this.

liquid, great tone and timbre, excellent scale and authority, piano right sized yet powerful and detailed. captivated me the whole way. maybe 10 wows during the performance, and i clapped at the end. i loved it thoroughly; although i'm not anyone to judge a performance.

my new Silver SUT + Etsuro Gold + CS Port LFT1 just knocked it out of the park!

https://www.discogs.com/Brahms-Backhaus-with-Vienna-Philharmonic-conducted-by-Böhm-Piano-Concerto-No2/release/9447003

no2.jpg

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Let us know what you think about the performance and sonics!

I certainly will but now it's time for holidays :)
For the first time since mid -2000' we go to our secondary residence in France by car, easyjet flights are still suspended.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Richter Rostropovich from Philips original is one of the best LPs. I have the second edition. You can get that much cheaper than the first edition. Listening to it on Pietro's Yamamura was one of the best moments for me

Interesting. I have this LP (we are talking about the double LP with the white / black cover?) in my 'meh' pile for reasons I don't recall. Pretty sure mine is a recent reissue though.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
well.......i just listened to a fantastic pressing. Super Analog Disc, Brahms Concerto No.2, Vienna Philharmonic, Bohm, Backhaus. i've had this one since the late 90's, listened to it multiple times, but never quite like this.

liquid, great tone and timbre, excellent scale and authority, piano right sized yet powerful and detailed. captivated me the whole way. maybe 10 wows during the performance, and i clapped at the end. i loved it thoroughly; although i'm not anyone to judge a performance.

my new Silver SUT + Etsuro Gold + CS Port LFT1 just knocked it out of the park!

https://www.discogs.com/Brahms-Backhaus-with-Vienna-Philharmonic-conducted-by-Böhm-Piano-Concerto-No2/release/9447003

View attachment 66345
I have this on Decca. Ahh Ummm...My Second Sword Opus1 can knock this out of the park easily. :p

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, I'll give another listen to it and see what I think before pursuing an earlier release.

I think this is an analog reissue of that being played, and the system costs less than Munich Magico room rental. Speakers in used market are 0.2 percent of M9

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
and that cello is sublime. beautiful.
You are romantic Mike. Imo this recording was setup much more for Backhaus piano as leading role and the orchestra was a strong supporting. The cello solo was like a recess giving Backhaus a rest for several minutes. The orchestra was excellent..very grand and strong assisting perfectly with Backhaus masculine play like Pippen and Jordan. I have no doubt this recording play unbelievable at your system. Actually, any grand scale music should play at advantage of your system. A luxury of an excellent setup of a big speaker system ;). I like the fourth movement even more than the First. I am way off the fair way of this thread. But for what it worths this album is highly recommended regardless of pressing. I think I put up a video clip of this album several months ago.

Added: Brahms Piano Concerto 1 is also excellent. The opening is so very dramatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The Backhuas/Brahms recording is indeed magnificent.
I believe the Rostro/Richter set was reissued on Speakers Corner, which usually do justice with the analog masters.

I also ordered the Haitink/Bruckner, hopefully it won’t disappoint.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Backhuas/Brahms recording is indeed magnificent.
I believe the Rostro/Richter set was reissued on Speakers Corner, which usually do justice with the analog masters.

I also ordered the Haitink/Bruckner, hopefully it won’t disappoint.

Speakers corner is quite poor compared to originals. Like bad. It is good if you don't compare.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Speakers corner is quite poor compared to originals. Like bad. It is good if you don't compare.
Getting hold of a mint original is not an easy task. Most s/h sellers rate according to vinyl cosmetics and not actual groove condition. They charge high prices and you eventually (I, at least) throw them out of my window with rage after hearing the distortion in the grooves.
As an example, I have the Rostro/Richter original mono release. It’s pretty clean, but it sounds like sh@$ compared to the Speakers Corner reissue, I only keep it because it’s an original and I might be able to sell it someday for a nice stash.
If you are lucky enough to get hold of real-mint originals, you may be right.
But 99% of what’s out there on the s/h market is crap.

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Totally agree

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
A highly respected record reviewer whose opinions are more informed than most others including myself and dare I say, those on this forum. Here is but one example:
http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_features.php?id=15087

Thank you! So good to know about this reviewer... and somebody who describes the sound not just the content. I've been wondering about the Bartok/Julliard String Quartet reissue for a while (it sits in my wish list on Acoustic Sounds website) but wondered how it might compare to what I already have - so this is very much appreciated.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But 99% of what’s out there on the s/h market is crap.

Although I could feel tempted to agree with out I would also add that is is buyer responsibility to increase the success rate of buying used vinyl - avoiding eBay and buying from selected dealers in Discogs I do not get the bargain of the month, but prices are fair and the success rate is around 80%.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing